Waypoint indexing problem Delorme PN-40

richard.tufty

I just got a PN-40 for Christmas and want to start geocaching, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to get the caches on my GPS. I installed the utility to upload the caches to my GPS and click the "Send to my GPS" button, I then get a green tick by the Checking for browser plugin step and the Conencting to device stage, but step 3, "Sending geocache information" gives an error sign with the useful message "Waypoint indexing problem".

Does anyone know how to fix this, or if there is another way to get cache information on my device? The "Getting Started with Geocaching" page on the main Geocaching.com doesn't seem to cover how to actually get caches onto the GPS, I guess it assumes I can do that already!

Very new to all this, sorry if it's a dumb question.

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by richard.tufty

I just got a PN-40 for Christmas and want to start geocaching, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to get the caches on my GPS. I installed the utility to upload the caches to my GPS and click the "Send to my GPS" button, I then get a green tick by the Checking for browser plugin step and the Conencting to device stage, but step 3, "Sending geocache information" gives an error sign with the useful message "Waypoint indexing problem".

Does anyone know how to fix this, or if there is another way to get cache information on my device?

Very new to all this, sorry if it's a dumb question.

Cheers,

Richard

I use GSAK and pocket queries. The cable for the PN-40 is finicky and could be defective. Mine was bad out of the box (one of the pins was stuck in the down position).

Call their support line, they have excellent response. They are located in Maine, USA. They sent me a new cable right away.

Edited by alohabra

Thanks for the tip, I called the tech support and they were superb! The cable is fine because I could connect to Topo NA, and the supoprt guy knew exactly how to fix it. For anyone else who needs to know, it's as simple as:

1) Go to Waypoints page

2) Click Menu

3) Click File

4) Click New

5) Click Save

Send caches from the browser plugin!

Apparently the PN-40 needs there to be a file in the Waypoints layer for the data to be sent to (this means nothing to me, but it's what the tech guy said!) If it matters, I am using the latest firmware, 2.8, I had to update before Topo would let me do anything on Christmas Day.

What about the PN20? I have been using the cable since I got it over a year ago. Hadn't done any fancy messing with it.. no resets, no settings changes, just adding and deleting geocaches.. up until about a week or 2 back when I got the same 'Waypoint Indexing Problem". But on my PN20 there's no "file" option when I'm on the waypoints page... I press menu again and it gives me the standard list of stuff. I have run the updater and it says my firmware is up to date.

Weirdest thing about mine is that I was doing it and suddenly no more than 2 weeks ago, POOF.. I couldn't.. for no apparent reason.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Don

I have a PN-40 and I love it but I used to have problems before I realized I needed a firmware update, make sure you have the latest version (it sounds like you do) because it does make a big difference. If you have any questions about the PN-40 feel free to shoot me an email and I can hopefully help you. :rolleyes: