Favorite Points, best new feature, However!

Rosemark

any percentage voting system is going to be biased against relatively older caches, because many folks wont remember them. Obviously the VERY old will get their fair share because a lot of folks will get them because they are old, but say one created in 2007 or 2008 and was not the creme de la creme? Its first 100 finders if it was created in 2011 might get 15 out of 100 votes but ask those same 100 people 3 years later to favorite it? Many will forget.

Just a thought. Does not really matter though, its statistics and folks can argue statistics til the cows come home.

You must have a great memory to remember your top 10% of caches.

but some of us are not that blessed!

if you have completed 10000 caches then you get 1000 votes.

if it takes 5 minutes to find and mark each cache(amusing you can remember it of the top f your head )

Then it is going to take 10.4 days of voting to catch up to date!!!!

how many people are going to spend 11 days of there life retrospectively voting just so that all caches have the correct number of votes to number of finders?

I don't think many people will go through all there back caches.

if it takes 5 minutes to find and mark each cache(amusing you can remember it of the top f your head )

how many people are going to spend 11 days of there life retrospectively voting just so that all caches have the correct number of votes to number of finders?

I posted this in my local forum, but I think it bears repeating here as well. Stuff in squiggly brackets was changed to match this situation.

I somehow doubt that most of the geocachers in the world even are above the 1,000 find mark. According to the cacherstats.com site, there are 109,213 accounts that have found over 200 caches. Of those, 22,375 (20%) have over 1,000 finds. {Accounts with over 8500 caches finds} are in the top 99.69% of the cache finders in the world - and that's STILL not counting cachers with less than 200 finds, or cachers that are opt-out of the leader board. I think {this} situation is unique to the heavy-hitters.

For me, hovering over 400 caches, 40 finds is a nice ripe number of "hey - these were good", and I think that many, MANY cachers will fall in the same boat. But that's a gut feeling not backed up by ANY empirical data.

Maybe because of the way I cache each one is a more unique experience and thus more memorable. I do need to bring up a map once in awhile to select the correct one if I did several in a small area on the same day.

Ok so I have been to a cache today that has been found 392 times.(GC10Q2B)

looking at the photos it used to be a film pot but now it is one of the best containers i have ever found!!!! so it got a favorite vote but what about all those people that did it when it was a filn pot??? it will not be there favorite!!!! not easy this rating system lark is it !!!!!