So am I being UNFAIR

Damin69

Ok so I have this guy Log one of my Caches. The guy had 13 other caches besides the one of mine he logged. His log was empty just to get a smiley. I have no problem with that at all if the person finds it. Ok so here is the kicker. The guys other 13 are in a different country. So I email him and ask since all his other caches are in diff country if he was sure he logged my cache by mistake. Since my cache is the only one that he logged in the US I though it was just a bit odd with the dense area of caches that he would select My cache to seek out to find. I simply asked him to verify where exactly he found my cache or that I would delete the log. All I get back from the guy is a snide comment of I FOUND IT OK!! I waited about 3 weeks the guy still did not tell me where he found nor had he logged any other caches. So I delete it. So then he is Mad about it and Re LOGs my cache with His log was all that I was unfair about him logging and asking him to tell me where he found and YES I DID find it. So I Encrypted his log and and changed the Cache to a premium member cache. I Feel bad but I thought I was more than fair asking where he found it if he did indeed find it. So was I unfair?

Ok so I have this guy Log one of my Caches. The guy had 13 other caches besides the one of mine he logged. His log was empty just to get a smiley. I have no problem with that at all if the person finds it. Ok so here is the kicker. The guys other 13 are in a different country. So I email him and ask since all his other caches are in diff country if he was sure he logged my cache by mistake. Since my cache is the only one that he logged in the US I though it was just a bit odd with the dense area of caches that he would select My cache to seek out to find. I simply asked him to verify where exactly he found my cache or that I would delete the log. All I get back from the guy is a snide comment of I FOUND IT OK!! I waited about 3 weeks the guy still did not tell me where he found nor had he logged any other caches. So I delete it. So then he is Mad about it and Re LOGs my cache with His log was all that I was unfair about him logging and asking him to tell me where he found and YES I DID find it. So I Encrypted his log and and changed the Cache to a premium member cache. I Feel bad but I thought I was more than fair asking where he found it if he did indeed find it. So was I unfair?

You messed with his sense of entitlement big time.

Easy to figure out, and you'll probably be getting page views on your MOC by people from all over, myself included. :lol:

Unfair? I'd lean slightly towards that, there is a language barrier here, and it's not unreasonable for a European to visit the Moderately large U.S. City with a Major University that your cache is in (or in it's suburbs, I didn't look that closely).

I tell you what though, people get that "log deletion notice" via email, they sure don't like it, do they? :unsure:

Easy to figure out, and you'll probably be getting page views on your MOC by people from all over, myself included. :lol:

Unfair? I'd lean slightly towards that, there is a language barrier here, and it's not unreasonable for a European to visit the Moderately large U.S. City with a Major University that your cache is in (or in it's suburbs, I didn't look that closely).

I tell you what though, people get that "log deletion notice" via email, they sure don't like it, do they? :unsure:

I very much agree with you. I could see someone coming to visit the College city from Europe area. But this particular park Is small out of the way. I had figured if someone was coming all the way from Europe to cache and visit a College they would have logged more than ONE single cache in an out of the way park off the beaten path. I have not checked the log yet as I have not had anyone log it since and I have had a lot of problem with this cache coming up missing. Since we have snow now I do not want to draw any more attention to the cache than necessary. I do know the only True way is for me to go and check the log.

Also: Middleton, Wisconsin is a college town destination of Europeans?

I grew up in Iowa and never heard of it.

Shouldnt Europeans be sticking with their fellow elitist liberals at Yale, Harvard, and Columbia? (the words of Limbaugh, McCain, O'Reilly and Palin).

Middleton is on the outskirts of Madison, WI. Madison is home to UW-Madison, which is a highly regarded university in the medical/research fields. There are MANY international students who attend the university.

I had figured if someone was coming all the way from Europe to cache and visit a College they would have logged more than ONE single cache in an out of the way park off the beaten path.

I wouldn't make that assumption. Maybe he was visiting and staying with a family nearby and had time to do a quick cache. Maybe he only wanted to do one. Until you check the physical log, his find should stand.

I Like your selective Use of Capitals and Appreciate your pointing out that it is a MOC, kept me from looking.

Honestly though, your New Username is just...Yucky.

On Topic, check the Physical Log. Maybe the guy chose your cache to be his "One Special US Find".

You'll feel kinda carpy if that is the case & you went the whole other way on that, now won't you?

Without delving too far into the matter, my gut tells me he actually found a different cache, with a similar GC number, over on his side of the pond. Then he fumbled whilst typing it in, logging his find on yours instead of the one he found. Once the weather becomes a bit more tolerable, I'm sure you will check on your cache and set the matter to rights. Personally, I would not have deleted his find until after I checked the log. If you find his name in the logbook, I hope you are humble enough to give him an apology.

Edited by Clan Riffster

Yes. A bit harsh. I check signatures before I delete logs. (And that included the two drive-bys.) But I am used to people finding only one of my caches. (I have several on the Jersey side of the Hudson, and many people visiting New York will make the trip across the river, so they can color in New Jersey. But they have usually made several finds in New York.) But I also get people visiting relatives, or in the area on business who need their fix, and find one cache. And that could be the case with your finders. On the long drive home from Maine, I stopped to find one cache in Vermont! Only cache I found that day.

So, yes, without checking the signature, you are being a bit harsh.

I had this happen to me, and I was a bit insulted.

I found a local hide, that had a string of DNFs. I logged that cache along with the others in that park. In my log I stated that I was surprised that I had found it so quickly after so many DNFs. It was an ammo can that was in an area with alot of GPS jump, and I basically stumbled on it.

About a month after I logged it, I got an email from the CO asking me to describe the find. The CO isn't some stranger, he is a guy I've known for years, so I was a bit insulted that he was questioning me. Thank goodness, I did actually remember the find very clearly. So I answered him. But I have long felt that if a CO actually wants to question a find, that is what the logbook is for. I think so many people in this area wouldn't remember it so clearly after a month. Most folks would have another 500 caches under their belt by then! LOL

I'm still friends with the CO, but have never forgotten that my find was questioned.

I found a local hide, that had a string of DNFs. I logged that cache along with the others in that park. In my log I stated that I was surprised that I had found it so quickly after so many DNFs. It was an ammo can that was in an area with alot of GPS jump, and I basically stumbled on it.

About a month after I logged it, I got an email from the CO asking me to describe the find. The CO isn't some stranger, he is a guy I've known for years, so I was a bit insulted that he was questioning me. Thank goodness, I did actually remember the find very clearly. So I answered him. But I have long felt that if a CO actually wants to question a find, that is what the logbook is for. I think so many people in this area wouldn't remember it so clearly after a month. Most folks would have another 500 caches under their belt by then! LOL

I'm still friends with the CO, but have never forgotten that my find was questioned.

Ouch, that is a delicate question. Maybe he went out to check on it and could not remember where he put it, or it moved. Yeah, that's it. He wasn't questioning you, he forgot where he put it. :)

I would not say that you were being unreasonable. All evidence points to a mis-logged cache. While it certainly would not be impossible that the cacher was visiting somebody in your little Wisconsin town and just happened to find one cache, it is highly improbable and in my opinion, enough so to be worth questioning. Given those circumstances, I would also say that the cacher was being unreasonable in not understanding why you might be skeptical.

But with all that said, you still should have checked the physical evidence (the log) before deleting his log.

Without delving too far into the matter, my gut tells me he actually found a different cache, with a similar GC number, over on his side of the pond. Then he fumbled whilst typing it in, logging his find on yours instead of the one he found. Once the weather becomes a bit more tolerable, I'm sure you will check on your cache and set the matter to rights. Personally, I would not have deleted his find until after I checked the log. If you find his name in the logbook, I hope you are humble enough to give him an apology.

Ok so asking a person to just please verify the location they found it is not FAIR. And I am basing an <potty language removed> for asking him? Heck I have had Owners ask me where I located a cache I sure dont give them an additude about it. I guess I get suspicious for no reason when I get an additude when I ask some one to please verify where they found it. And that was LONG before I deleted his LOG. I figured I was more than fair but guess I am wrong. When someones Log IS BLANK I guess I should not even question it from now on.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama
potty language

I would not say that you were being unreasonable. All evidence points to a mis-logged cache. While it certainly would not be impossible that the cacher was visiting somebody in your little Wisconsin town and just happened to find one cache, it is highly improbable and in my opinion, enough so to be worth questioning. Given those circumstances, I would also say that the cacher was being unreasonable in not understanding why you might be skeptical.

But with all that said, you still should have checked the physical evidence (the log) before deleting his log.

Yes all of you are Valid on the checking the log. But in all fairness when I emailed him and asked to Please verify the location I did tell him If he could not verify since it seems a bit Odd that I would delete the Log.

And why would My User Name be Yucky? If you feel that cause you see 69 in a name? Funny some of were born in 69. Or is it the Damin? I am just not getting what is Yucky maybe you can give me a clue?

Yes all of you are Valid on the checking the log. But in all fairness when I emailed him and asked to Please verify the location I did tell him If he could not verify since it seems a bit Odd that I would delete the Log.

In you original email, did you explicitly mention the cache name, GC# and location (Country/city/state)? When I have had similar occurences, I send a polite email, mentioning that I think the person may have logged the wrong cache, indicating the state/country my cache is in. They usually send me an email confirming they logged the wrong cache.

Sounds like a fishy log to me, but I would check the logbook before deleting the log.

Yes. I have been taking care of my Father after surgery and the Cache is over an hour away. So I was trying to give the guy benefit of the doubt. I have no problem with a CO asking me where I found their Cache. I personally don't find this offensive in any way.

In you original email, did you explicitly mention the cache name, GC# and location (Country/city/state)? When I have had similar occurences, I send a polite email, mentioning that I think the person may have logged the wrong cache, indicating the state/country my cache is in. They usually send me an email confirming they logged the wrong cache.

Yes. That I did.

And why would My User Name be Yucky? If you feel that cause you see 69 in a name? Funny some of were born in 69. Or is it the Damin? I am just not getting what is Yucky maybe you can give me a clue?

you really messed up the quotes there, the username reference is not to yours is to that of Mr.Yuck :laughing:

I Like your selective Use of Capitals and Appreciate your pointing out that it is a MOC, kept me from looking.

On Topic, check the Physical Log. Maybe the guy chose your cache to be his "One Special US Find".

You'll feel kinda carpy if that is the case & you went the whole other way on that, now won't you?

Personally I would never have even emailed to ask the question until I had checked the log and believe no found log should be deleted until verifying the physical log was not signed by the individual in question. If you did not check the log then yes you are IMO being unfair.

In you original email, did you explicitly mention the cache name, GC# and location (Country/city/state)?
... and was the email sent in fluent Dutch...?

The OP's deletion of the log was probably justified, but the OP's attitude was not. It could have been handled better: Check the signatures on the log when possible, and if the sig's not there, delete the log, leave it at that, no editorializing necessary.

you really messed up the quotes there, the username reference is not to yours is to that of Mr.Yuck :laughing:

Ooops Thanks for the clarification

But in all fairness when I emailed him and asked to Please verify the location I did tell him If he could not verify since it seems a bit Odd that I would delete the Log.

You shouldn't have threatened to delete his log if he didn't provide extra information. First, it's an ALR and not allowed by the cache placement guidelines. Second, it turns it into an antagonistic situation as you've seen happen.

What I have done in the past is ask the person if they've made a logging mistake and suggest that they delete their bad log. Two of the three times they did. The other time I got no reply so I checked the log sheet and deleted their log without any further email. They never relogged.

I'm not sure if unfair is the proper word for it, but you didn't follow the guidelines and knowledge base information in this situation.

Ouch, that is a delicate question. Maybe he went out to check on it and could not remember where he put it, or it moved. Yeah, that's it. He wasn't questioning you, he forgot where he put it. :)

Or maybe he couldn't find it because it wasn't where he hid it anymore. I once had to ask the last finder of one of my caches where it was; turns out I had quit looking about a foot or two from where it had moved to.

First of all I agree on checking the log would be the first step before contacting the finder.

Having said that I can understand that the OP is suspicious to see an empty log from someone situated so far from his cache. Being a European myself I would certainly make sure to point out in my log where I come from.

First of all I agree on checking the log would be the first step before contacting the finder.

Having said that I can understand that the OP is suspicious to see an empty log from someone situated so far from his cache. Being a European myself I would certainly make sure to point out in my log where I come from.

Why would a noob smartphone user feel compelled to write any kind of log? Oh, there I go again. :ph34r:

Bottom line, I suppose, is this physical log needs to be checked, as about a dozen or more above me have said. I do not believe I would have deleted it before doing so. It certainly does sound fishy, and could be a mislogged cache in Europe (especially if we're talking about an apparently smartphone blank log logger here). I do like my theory though that it's very possible for a European to visit UW-Madison though. :lol:

Or maybe he couldn't find it because it wasn't where he hid it anymore. I once had to ask the last finder of one of my caches where it was; turns out I had quit looking about a foot or two from where it had moved to.

I could believe that because it was a very hard to find cache. So many people had DNF'd it. It was just the tone of the email that made me feel like he was personally questioning if I had found it or not.

The only other time I had been questioned was when I wrote a DNF log, and it was clearly a DNF, but accidentally hit "Found It". That CO sent me a nice email before I had gotten done logging. I would have noticed when I was done, but I corrected that immediately. LOL

...I simply asked him to verify where exactly he found my cache or that I would delete the log. All I get back from the guy is a snide comment of I FOUND IT OK!!

...So was I unfair?

No, I don't think you were unfair.

The threat of deleting his log was not necessary, however, and it might be part of the reason for his attitude. Contacts like yours to him should be very carefully worded to be as neutral as possible or even positive sounding.

It is not out of line write to him without checking the logsheet in the cache given your current circumstances. This guy has some responsibility here because of his blank log. He needs to describe the cache area or give convincing story.

You could have waited before deleting the Found log until you could verify the log.

One thing I would do immediately though is delete his and your notes on the cache page. Cache pages are NOT the place to for arguments!

Ok so asking a person to just please verify the location they found it is not FAIR. And I am basing an <potty language removed> for asking him? Heck I have had Owners ask me where I located a cache I sure dont give them an additude about it. I guess I get suspicious for no reason when I get an additude when I ask some one to please verify where they found it. And that was LONG before I deleted his LOG. I figured I was more than fair but guess I am wrong. When someones Log IS BLANK I guess I should not even question it from now on.

I think you are taking this whole thing way too personally. You got a log on one of your caches that most everyone here would agree is a bit suspicious. Most folks also agree that you were right to question the validity of the log. The only thing most folks have asked is that next time you check the logbook first. Assume for argument's sake that he logged the wrong cache. (that's what I think happened) Eventually, you'll make it out to your cache, and you'll quite likely find his name is not in the logbook. Would it hurt to wait until then to email your concerns? That gives you a stronger position, in that you would already know he didn't sign it. I'm not sure what you are getting worked up about. You asked a perfectly valid question, got several perfectly valid answers, and now you are acting like we're calling you some evil, heinous person.

The reason we make mistakes is so we can learn from them.

Deep breaths, Brother...

Just playing devils advocate here but the found it log was posted by someone with only 13 finds and if you look at other finds you''ll see the infamous "logged using a mobile phone" auto log on some of them. It's not unreasonable to explain that the reason for the blank log is attributed to a mobile geocaching app that defaults to a canned or blank log if the user hasn't figured out how to create a longer log. There are other threads here with complaints about mobile phone users posting blank logs but I haven't seen anyone associate a blank log with a possibility that the cache wasn't found.

Although it is unlikely that someone found a cache in Wisconsin and the Netherlands in the same day it would be theoretically possible. There is a puddle jumper flight from Madison to Detroit and a direct flight from Detroit to Amsterdam (I've taken it twice). Someone could potentially find a cache in the morning near Madison then fly to Amsterdam in time to find a cache the same day. As someone else mentioned UW Madison has a large foreign student population and as someone that works at a university I know that these students are often visited by their geocaching parents. As far as finding just one cache while in another country goes, I've found just one cache in five different countries and have four U.S. states with just one find. When traveling sometimes the amount of time available to find a cache can be very limited, at least for me, I often only try to get at least one find when visiting someplace where I haven't previously found a cache.

The other possibility is a somewhat common mistake that some make when logging caches is forgetting to change the actual found date when logging all their recent finds.

Still another explanation might be that a cacher is in a family that uses a team name, and although I don't agree with the practice, I've seen instances of a one member of the family geocaching on the same day in one country (I've seen a case where someone was in Australia) while the other family member was geocaching at home.

Frankly, it's just one log on the cache and a single additional smiley face in a new geocachers profile. I wouldn't worry about it any more.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
Yup. 100% lazy to verify a log over an hour away with $3 gas prices when all they guy has to do is simply verify where he found it? Hmm Yes I sure screwed up. And will never doubt another suspicious log.

I can understand the cache being a little inconvenient to get to, but I also don't think a bogus log in this situation is particularly time-sensitive. I wouldn't have suggested dropping everything and rushing out there to verify the log, but I'd gently suggest that simply waiting for the next time you were in the area to perform maintenance would have been a great time to start the conversation about verification and deletion.

Don't ask for opinions unless you really want them.

You asked, people told you what they thought. They don't agree with you. Get over it.

UNFAIR: maybe LAZY: yes - check the log...

Yup. 100% lazy to verify a log over an hour away with $3 gas prices when all they guy has to do is simply verify where he found it? Hmm Yes I sure screwed up. And will never doubt another suspicious log.

Checking logs is part of cache maintenance. If your cache is too far away for you to maintain it, you should consider archiving it.