Magellan Explorist GC help

mnmray

Does anyone know how to get my status information (finds, etc.)from Geocaching.com to my handheld? Even if I manualy download every cache I've found the hand held does not recognize that I've found it.

I have this same problem. I got a new Explorist GC for Christmas and I've spent two fruitless days trying to download cache info from this site to my GPS. Every time I try to "Send to GPS" it says I need to install the Communicator for Mac plugin, which I've downloaded several times. (I've restarted the browsers after installing, both Safari and Firefox, and I've restarted my computer again too... nothing.)

This link: http://www.magellangps.com/Magellan-Communicator-for-Mac appears to show that Geocaching and Magellan have a plugin for us new (first-time) users to download .loc files (and .gpx files) to the device, but I've literally spent HOURS trying and failing. Okay, I'm an idiot and missing something, but what?

Thanks for listening to my frustrated whine, but I really wanted this to work today.

Does anyone know how to get my status information (finds, etc.)from Geocaching.com to my handheld? Even if I manualy download every cache I've found the hand held does not recognize that I've found it.

You have to mark them as found from the GPS. The .gpx file from the website does not bring the found status over with it, at least it didn't for me. It is a pain to do the first time.

I have this same problem. I got a new Explorist GC for Christmas and I've spent two fruitless days trying to download cache info from this site to my GPS. Every time I try to "Send to GPS" it says I need to install the Communicator for Mac plugin, which I've downloaded several times. (I've restarted the browsers after installing, both Safari and Firefox, and I've restarted my computer again too... nothing.)

This link: http://www.magellangps.com/Magellan-Communicator-for-Mac appears to show that Geocaching and Magellan have a plugin for us new (first-time) users to download .loc files (and .gpx files) to the device, but I've literally spent HOURS trying and failing. Okay, I'm an idiot and missing something, but what?

Thanks for listening to my frustrated whine, but I really wanted this to work today.

Unzip your PQ then drag and drop the .gpx files (there should be 2) into the GC. If I remember correctly there will be a folder for the geocaches and a second folder for the additional waypoints. That will load the caches into your GC, but if you load your myfinds PQ the GC will not recognize them as found until you "find" them by individually marking them has found on that specific unit.

It took me a while to get used to the Explorist GC, but once you figure it out its a good handheld. The first thing you want to do is go to the magellan site and make sure you are running the latest software - I had to update mine.

Then, on the explorist page there is the communicator and also vantage point software. I use vantage point to pull down my pocket queries, upload field notes, sync between the pc and the GPSr. The user guide, which can be downloaded at the site as well, explains a lot of this in detail.

http://www.magellangps.com/Products/eXploristseries/eXplorist-GC

Hope this helps!

Unzip your PQ then drag and drop the .gpx files (there should be 2) into the GC. If I remember correctly there will be a folder for the geocaches and a second folder for the additional waypoints. That will load the caches into your GC, but if you load your myfinds PQ the GC will not recognize them as found until you "find" them by individually marking them has found on that specific unit.

I have the same problem but being a very new and computer illiterate aged geocacher I now need to know what is a "PQ" is that we have to open?Sorry to be so dumb!!

I have the same problem but being a very new and computer illiterate aged geocacher I now need to know what is a "PQ" is that we have to open?Sorry to be so dumb!!

You will be different as you are not a Premium Member. A Pocket Query (PQ) asks (queries) the Groundspeak database (list of caches) to give you a list of caches that meet specific parameters (conditions) that you set. For example you may want to see a list of caches within 50 miles of your home that are between 1 and 3.5 on the difficulty scale and between 1 and 4 on the terrain level scale. You would create a PQ with those parameters and a zipped file would be emailed to you (if 500 caches or less were requested) or you would download from the website (if between 501 and 1000 caches were requested). One can also create a PQ that follows a specific route. PQs are well worth the $30 per year membership fee (my opinion). Depending on the gps you own there are various ways to import the PQ into your devise. If your gps supports paperless caching (as the Magellan GC does) this gives you ALL the information on the cache page with the exception of a limited number of logs. Hope this helps you understand PQs better.

Actually, I've found a slightly quicker (Yet, Dangerous. If you're not sure what you're doing, DON'T!)

way of updating the numbers...

When you connect the GC to your computer, look on the drive it creates.. In the Apps Folder, You';ll find a file called Awards.ini ... this is a standard text file, and IS editable!

I still haven't figured the ranking for the NumOfGeocachesTypesFound[##], But....

Simply change the number of the one directly under [Awards], to the number you've found.

I'm still trying to enter data from my database files I have. It's L-O-N-G & Tedious!

Also, be ready for a L-O-N-G-E-R wait if you try to push more than 1000 caches.. I just fed 4 pocket queries to mine.. It took more than 10 minutes before it would show the menu page.. Apparentrly it needs to make sure the .GPX files are in good shape.

It's still a learning curve for me.. I still miss the older Explorist models.. Especially after frying my 500LE. (mental note, READ the trnsformer before you connect it to the charging cord. Accidentally plugged a 9V charger in, that was for a Netbook.. (the 500LE is TOAST!)

Were you ever able to get it working? I was having the same problems but now it is just in the endless restart loop of death. If these are not isolated explorist gc problems then why does this piece of crap keep getting good reviews?

Okay, Here's the Quick & Dirty way to force the eXplorist GC to mirror your actual stats....

Connect the DC with the USB cable, press the Joystick center to confirm "Connect To PC".

When the drive folder appears, enter the App folder.

In it, You'll find..... Awards.ini

It's a plain text file.. You can use any form of text editor (as long as you don't save it as a document file. (leave it plain ASCII text.)

the file, will look like this....

[Awards]
NumOfGeocachesFound=8

NumOfGeocachesTypesFound[0]=0
NumOfGeocachesTypesFound[1]=0
NumOfGeocachesTypesFound[2]=0
NumOfGeocachesTypesFound[3]=0
NumOfGeocachesTypesFound[4]=1
NumOfGeocachesTypesFound[5]=0
NumOfGeocachesTypesFound[6]=7
NumOfGeocachesTypesFound[7]=0
NumOfGeocachesTypesFound[8]=0
NumOfGeocachesTypesFound[9]=0
NumOfGeocachesTypesFound[10]=0
NumOfGeocachesTypesFound[11]=0
NumOfGeocachesTypesFound[12]=0

UnlocablesFlags[0]=4096
UnlocablesFlags[1]=14

NumOfGeocachesFound=8 (this is the actual # of caches found (change the # here to the # you've found)

Here's the key of the numbers:

Type 0=Letterbox Hybrid

Type 1=CITO Event

Type 2=Event Cache

Type 3=Wherigo

Type 4=Multi Cache

Type 5=Earthcache

Type 6=Traditional Cache

Type 7=Unknown

Type 8=Virtual Cache

Type 9=GPS Adventure Exhibit

Type 10=Mega Event

Type 11=Project APE

Type 12=Webcam Cache

Simply change the =## to the number of those types of caches found.

I still haven't deduced the UnlocablesFlags[#] records yet, so Leave these alone for now.

Simply save the file, close it.. Close the folder, then disconnect the device from the computer.

When the device reboots, click the joystick on the Geocaches icon, press the Menu button, scroll down to "View Stats", Click the Joystick center. You should see lifetime Found changed to the number you've found.

Press the Menu button again, "View Awards" should be showing as the 1st selection. Press the Joystick Center.

Scroll down, You should see Types Of Caches updates to the number You've found.

A bit forceful, but it works. I still haven't gone too far, but slowly performing a 'Hack' on the stats... As I find more, I'll let everyone known.. Meanwhile... I have to update mine....

Stephen (gelfling6)

Upon the advice from a very good friend who has 5K finds under his belt, I purchased a Magellan Explorist GC yesterday which he's been very happy with. I got a very good online price on it at Best Buy, but I must say for a newbie, it's been very frustrating trying to figure out what to do and not very user friendly for a new person. Being new to geocaching and to GPS devices in general, I've been confused just about everything. But, after about a day of trying to learn what to do, this is what has worked for me. I downloaded VantagePoint and had no luck with it at all. Could not get it to download to the GPS. A window kept popping up to the site where you download the Communicator which I had done at that point about 4 times. Luckily my friend called me while he was out looking for finds today and I told him what was going on and he said to download GSAK and use that instead. I did and have had great luck with it. It's easy to use. I did register my copy which is about $20 but I figured it would be worth the price if it would do what I wanted. It works like a charm. I was able to download my caches from this site into GSAK and then from there to my GPS with no difficulty at all. There is still a lot to learn on both the GPS and at GSAK but I'm happy with both now. Hope this helps.

Edited by Niasa

Okay, NOT 100% set on the brute force entry of Previous Found Caches.. For some reason, the 2nd line in the Awards file, keeps gettin reset back to the number it was before (which means there is another file somewhere else that needs to be fixed..) Though, it does keep the numbers of the types found. But, there does seem to be a few missing types from the list.. I.E. Benchmarks..

Stephen (gelfling6)

Ok, I found my first cache today. It was a very easy one but it was as fun as everyone said it would be. While signing the book, I also made a "Found" entry on my GPS by highlighting the listed cache, selected it by pressing the joy stick and selecting "Found". It immediately put a little smiley face on my map to let me know that I had already found that one.:) Then on my PC I posted a comment on it.

For some reason, the 2nd line in the Awards file, keeps gettin reset back to the number it was before (which means there is another file somewhere else that needs to be fixed..)

Hi gelfling6,

I had the same problem and found out how this works. The Explorist GC uses an sqlite Database (Database.db in APP Folder). On bootup it loads the values from the DB and writes the values into the awards.ini and possibly newlogs.txt as well. So, if you want to edit or correct your statistics you'll need to the edit the database. This can't be done with a text editor, but there is an add-on for firefox with which you can read and update the database ... Search in Google for SQLite Manager for firefox. It will help if you have basic knowledge of SQL. Be sure to backup the Database.db before making any changes. Doing something wrong in the database can ruin you Explorist!

regards

tina

Before anyone who is uncomfortable editing files on thier GPS breaks something know that the ability to download your "My Finds" PQ into the software and have it auto update is in the works. If you can hold out a while longer it will no longer be an issue.

Yup... I just did that today and uploaded them to my eXplorist GC by both GSAK and Vantage Point. My lifetime found is still at 3 (which is how many I have found with it so far), and it did not update my total number of found caches. Database tweaking still seems to be the way to go, unfortunately.

I discovered the hard way that this unit only works with Mac OS 10.6.2 or higher. My 2 year old Macbook 10.5.8 is already out of date to use this device and upgrading my OS has a complicated set of issues. VERY upsetting news. We are using husband's PC at work for now.

Before anyone who is uncomfortable editing files on thier GPS breaks something know that the ability to download your "My Finds" PQ into the software and have it auto update is in the works. If you can hold out a while longer it will no longer be an issue.

Yup... I just did that today and uploaded them to my eXplorist GC by both GSAK and Vantage Point. My lifetime found is still at 3 (which is how many I have found with it so far), and it did not update my total number of found caches. Database tweaking still seems to be the way to go, unfortunately.

I said it is "In the works", it will be included in a future version of the software in the near future.

I spent forever trying to do everything from my mac ... download caches, upgrade software, etc. My advice, use a computer with windows ... I have had no problems since switching off the mac and using an old windows pc to manage the MEgc. Now I just have to figure out all the other problems, like why it keeps putting me in California and won't update my current location to Texas, or why the clock changes time every time I turn the darn thing on!

When you mark a cache as found and then enter comments on the GC, once you get home to connect the GC to your computer and upload the logs.txt file from the Geocache directory on the unit to Geocaching.com by accessing the Field Notes page here on the website. Once you've upload the log.txt file to your field notes the website will create a list for you of the field notes you've upload, at this point you can go through the list and log them...

David

Your GPS should be used for finding caches and for it's paperless caching data. Why do you care about the stats on your GPS? I use three different GPS's at times and have never even though about seeing my stats. That's what geocaching.com is for.

The problem is that this unit shows you which caches you've provided a status for - found, not found, etc.

You can sort and search by status and bypass ones you've already hit.

I just uploaded from gsak to my gc like I always have done, but I included found geocaches this time when I sent the 4k caches over to the gc. the problem is, the found caches are not showing up as found on the gc. I could care less about the stats, but it would be nice to not search for a cache I have already found, unless it was one I would like to go revisit.

I said it is "In the works", it will be included in a future version of the software in the near future.

How do you know it is in the works and can you be a little less vague than "in the near future". I've dealt with some software guys who's idea of near future was a couple of years.