Garmin Etrex legend

Roller Man

yo out there.

i first was looking at a gps for fishing to mark fishing spots, they I learned about geocaching.

As a hiker, this sounded like a lot of fun when walking my 2 labs max & annie and my yearly visit to the Blueridge mtns in VA. Anyway, because of all the snow this season haven't been out on one cache yet, to snowy to find any thing guess and being 60 don't really like cold weather that well anymore. So I bought a like-new/used Garmin Etrex legend gps, i read the manual, and have gotten familiar with it some. took it a a couple hikes, used it i my car. So, what's your opinion of the legend? Dont think they make this model anymore, and the computer cable that came with it has a serial connection, can i get a usb adapter for it? and does anyone know what kind of updates are at garmin web site for it? is it worth the trouble downloading thier updates? I know it's basic unit but pretty cool for now. I was looking at the germin 60csx at bass pro this christmas for $249 with topo mapping, just didn't have the money for it. would it be worth while to get the 60csx antway, or would the legend do what i need for caching? don't think the legend can download topo mapping can it, and how important is gps the topo maps? I already have several topo paper maps of hoosier natl forest and the blueridge and the AT 2100 miles that I've collected over the years.

sandyden

I started with a Legend and it is a great GPS. I eventually upgraded to a unit with street maps, but it is a solid unit and the small size is great for stowing in a pocket. You will want to invest in a serial to usb adapter... you can order one from Amazon for about $15, too. With the cable you can download the coordinates to the GPS and then with cache printouts head out for some caching fun. Enjoy!

yo all

with all the warm rain last night it cleared off a lot of snow, so got out with my 2 labs and grandson to do my first cache. checked out 3 before leaving, found only one, others still snow covered in the woods. i do say my etrex legend compass really sucks, doesnt update well at all, guess i'll dig my old reliable magnetic compass out of my pack. kept checking direction didn't want to change very well when i stopped to check it. sat locked good in the tree even a little overcast but again the compass was worthless. :(

ps:so where do i go to log my first find on this web site, can't fund anyway to do anything? how do i post for the person who put out the cache to let them know i found it? site not to friendly but i'm new to all this too.

great day to be out. 2 worn out labs tonight me too.

have a grat day :)

PSS:I finally fund out how to post my first cashe so slowly learning this site... have a great day.. :rolleyes:

Edited by sandyden

I started with a Legend and it is a great GPS. I eventually upgraded to a unit with street maps, but it is a solid unit and the small size is great for stowing in a pocket. You will want to invest in a serial to usb adapter... you can order one from Amazon for about $15, too. With the cable you can download the coordinates to the GPS and then with cache printouts head out for some caching fun. Enjoy!

bill

when was the event at spring mill park in indiana?

thanks roller man

If you can find another good deal on the 60csx you better pick it up. It is a great GPS. The legend was my first GPS and I used it for a year. It was great except for if you get into some heavy overhead coverage then you will lose signals. I up graded to the 60CSX and used that up until the end of last year. Now I have the 62s. It is the 60csx with all the bells and whistless.

Good luck with the legend. Have fun caching too.