garmin 62s

Team Rumble

I just got the new 62s for christmas. I am trying to figure out how to upload pocket queries to it. I was using easy GPS for my 60csx and it work fine. I cannot get the easy gps to see my new 62s. How do I get the queries to load??

Just connect your gps to the computer in mass storage mode and save the unzipped query files to the Garmin/GPX folder on either your 62 or the sd card you might have in it. No need for EasyGPS or GSAK unless you want to use those programs for other reasons.

I just got the new 62s for christmas. I am trying to figure out how to upload pocket queries to it. I was using easy GPS for my 60csx and it work fine. I cannot get the easy gps to see my new 62s. How do I get the queries to load??

Just connect your gps to the computer in mass storage mode and save the unzipped query files to the Garmin/GPX folder on either your 62 or the sd card you might have in it. No need for EasyGPS or GSAK unless you want to use those programs for other reasons.

I tried copying the zipped file to the garmin folder but nothing opens when I look for geocaches on the GPS

I have cpoied the GPX file and when I extract it in the garmin gpx file in the gps, I get the caches. Now the question is how do I delete caches once they are placed on this 62s?

How do I delete caches once they are on the 62s? I have tried all th buttons it seems, and cannot see where or how to delete a cache.

I have cpoied the GPX file and when I extract it in the garmin gpx file in the gps, I get the caches. Now the question is how do I delete caches once they are placed on this 62s?

You can't remove individual caches. After you find caches, replace the file which includes your found caches with updated query files to update your gps. The updated file will not include the caches you found, so the gps will have those caches removed that way.

Now comes the fun part.

You can use Field notes. Whenever you find one of the geocaches (while in geocache mode (use the geocaching dashboard)), you can: select geocache, log attempt, found it (or did not find it), find next closest.

When you get home, you can go to the geocaching website and see your field notes(I used the instructions for the Oregon/Colorado to do it).

Do the icons of the caches you've found become " open " chests on these units ( although you couldn't remove the caches after you've found them you wouldn't confuse found and not found caches)

Also what about the reported squeeking cases on these units ?

What ver firmware is it on and have the bugs been fixed ?

I've wanted one of these since they came out but have been waiting to see how these issues were resolved.

Do the icons of the caches you've found become " open " chests on these units ( although you couldn't remove the caches after you've found them you wouldn't confuse found and not found caches)

Also what about the reported squeeking cases on these units ?

What ver firmware is it on and have the bugs been fixed ?

I've wanted one of these since they came out but have been waiting to see how these issues were resolved.

-The icons turn into open treasure chests, and are removed from the "search for nearest" function. They are moved into a "found" status list.

-Squeaking is not an issue.

-Software updates are fixing the usual things.....bugs, locking up, etc..

-Squeaking is not an issue.

Judging by some of the forum posts, it has been an issue. But although I can make my case "squeak," I have never noticed it while caching. So I suppose it is only is an issue if you want it to be.

Dropping individual caches from a pq or dropping entire gpx files showing pq results have been more of an issue for me, after they have been transferred and loaded into the unit. But I have learned to be careful, load files onto the sd card which seems to work better, and then enjoy a unit that is fast, accurate, paperless, and that supports field notes.

You can use Field notes. Whenever you find one of the geocaches (while in geocache mode (use the geocaching dashboard)), you can: select geocache, log attempt, found it (or did not find it), find next closest.

When you get home, you can go to the geocaching website and see your field notes(I used the instructions for the Oregon/Colorado to do it).

Wait, your Garmin 62s sends Field Notes to your geocaching.com account? If so, I have yet to discover that feature…

Edited by Pablo Mac

Wait, your Garmin 62s sends Field Notes to your geocaching.com account? If so, I have yet to discover that feature…

Yes it does. So do the Oregons, Dakotas, Colorados and many other units from other manufacturers.

Yes it does. So do the Oregons, Dakotas, Colorados and many other units from other manufacturers.

I just got my 62s the other day, so please give me the quick & dirty on how you get it to do that. It's not simply a function of indicating a cache is "Found" in the GPS, is it?

That's half the job done. Then when you next plug your gps into your computer, and log on to Geocaching.com, go to "Your Profile", then scroll down and search the right column for where it says "Access Your Field Notes for supported GPS devices and applications."

Once there you select Garmin as the manufacturer, and then browse on your gps to the folder called Garmin, and look for the file called "Geocache_visits.txt" as seen below on my iMac computer.

2010-12-04_2012%20geocachevisits.jpg

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

I just got my 62s the other day, so please give me the quick & dirty on how you get it to do that. It's not simply a function of indicating a cache is "Found" in the GPS, is it?

That's half the job done. Then when you next plug your gps into your computer, and log on to Geocaching.com, go to "Your Profile", then scroll down and search the right column for where it says "Access Your Field Notes for supported GPS devices and applications."

Once there you select Garmin as the manufacturer, and then browse on your gps to the folder called Garmin, and look for the file called "Geocache_visits.txt" as seen below on my iMac computer.

2010-12-04_2012%20geocachevisits.jpg

When I do this all I get is the message "0 records were successfully uploaded"

Does it make a difference if the files are on an SD card or in the device memory?

I don't have a card in the unit.

It's good to know also that the Nuvi 500 and 550 have the field note feature and are totally paperless units ( the only Nuvi's with factory geocaching features ) You can't beat having a driving unit to drive to the cache and a handheld to walk to the cache.

Does it make a difference if the files are on an SD card or in the device memory?

The field notes are always written into the unit, not an external memory card. So it makes no difference if you don't have a SD card in the unit.

There are many reasons for why Groundspeak refuses to accept your field notes. First, are there entries in the field notes file? It is just a normal text file (well, it is a 16 bit UCS-2, but most modern OS reads it just fine), so open it up to take a look. Do you see entries in there?

Groundspeak rejects the file if there's something it is unhappy with, like an extra line feed at the end. If you select the check box to reject entries before a certain date, and your dates are all before that date, obviously they get rejected.

If all else fails, post a couple of lines from the file here.

This may seem obvious, but what do you do with the field note once Groundspeak recognizes them? Are they automatically posted to the respective geocache? Do they replace a normal log that you type in or can do you still log the caches manually but have the option to paste the field notes. I'm using a borrowed computer today so I can't test it out myself until the end of the week.

The field notes are always written into the unit, not an external memory card. So it makes no difference if you don't have a SD card in the unit.

There are many reasons for why Groundspeak refuses to accept your field notes. First, are there entries in the field notes file? It is just a normal text file (well, it is a 16 bit UCS-2, but most modern OS reads it just fine), so open it up to take a look. Do you see entries in there?

Groundspeak rejects the file if there's something it is unhappy with, like an extra line feed at the end. If you select the check box to reject entries before a certain date, and your dates are all before that date, obviously they get rejected.

If all else fails, post a couple of lines from the file here.

I deleted the files I had after logging the caches, but here's one I just made up to show that it does record field notes.

Wind Po,2010-12-28T20:44Z,Found it,"TNLNSL"

Where do I find the check box to reject entries before a certain date?

I deleted the files I had after logging the caches, but here's one I just made up to show that it does record field notes.

The check box is on the page where you select the file name to upload field notes, but that is not the problem you're encountering.

See the bolded section above. I'm not sure how you're entering your geocaches, but it appears to be replacing the waypoint name (normally GCxxxx) with the waypoint description.

The check box is on the page where you select the file name to upload field notes, but that is not the problem you're encountering.

See the bolded section above. I'm not sure how you're entering your geocaches, but it appears to be replacing the waypoint name (normally GCxxxx) with the waypoint description.

I use GSAk to make up my gpx files and use the name rather than the GC code. Guess I'll have to change that.

I use GSAk to make up my gpx files and use the name rather than the GC code. Guess I'll have to change that.

It works! Thanks for the help. :D I'm having a hard time getting to like this unit after using 3 previous Garmin GPSr's It seems a lot less user friendly so far.