Make DNF's visible at the Public Profile

prodrive

If it was similar to the "cache found nearest to home" stat, and it was only visible to me it might be interesting, but even then I think people would log them even less. People are weird and wouldn't want to look at that number in some cases. We need MORE people logging DNFs not less. I'd vote a big NO. Sorry :)

EDIT: It's also not a very interesting number because it includes times that caches weren't even there, there were too many muggles around or thart I forgot a pen.

I would be somewhat interested to know how many times I've looked for a cache and didn't find it due to clever hides, but that's not the only thing DNF means to me.

You can already get this "stat" by viewing the DNF logs in your private profile.

That's true! 37 results! lol.

Okay, then there is no reason I can think of for this info to be shared against user's will. If someone wants to post it, that's interesting to some maybe, but encouraging people to log DNFs is easier when they are considered sort of "throwaway"

Okay, then there is no reason I can think of for this info to be shared against user's will. If someone wants to post it, that's interesting to some maybe, but encouraging people to log DNFs is easier when they are considered sort of "throwaway"

DNFs are perhaps the perfect example of information that's available at cache-level but not easily accessible (by others) at the cacher-level. It seems to work well.

Is a DNF a sign of failure? Of course it is! I didn't find the darned thing!

Of course, I'm quite capable of tripping over a 1/1 and not finding it.

Do I log all my DNFs? Most, but not all. Not if it's going to inflate a CO's ego. Not if I didn't give it a good enough search. Seldom on vacation trips.

Is it important information for the cache owner? Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. Some people log a DNF if they set out for the cache and never get to the parking area. That is useless information to the CO. I get lots of "I looked for it, but didn't find it. It must be missing." No, you just didn't do a good job of looking! I've wasted a lot of time on those. I've had a number of DNFs in a row, but the cache was still where it was supposed to be.

Is it 'not being honest' not to list DNFs. That's the silliest thing I've heard in a long! It's not required (unless you're collecting frownies.) So, no dishonesty involved. That's insulting!

I have 326 DNFs. That's more than 10% of my finds. About half of them have been archived. (Though I have found some of them after the DNF.) That's actually not a bad rate, I should guess. If you assume that half of my DNFs, I just could not find, I don't think that a very useful factoid.

How useful? I don't usually DNF vacation cache, unless I'm pretty sure. North and South 72 finds between Feb 2008 and May 2010. CO still active. Two DNFs in June, 1 in December. 1.5/1 in a parking lot. I found velcro under the FedEx box. Guess the DNFs (and lack of finds) is not important to some COs.

Likewise: Put Me in Coach 0 Not as active a Geocacher. 40 finds between 8/2007 and 4/2009. 4 DNFs since. (Well, 4 logged.) Doesn't seem important to the CO. Pretty sure I knew where it was supposed to be. That's why I logged the DNF on a vacation cache. (Umm... It was under the transformer! Was.)

So, to summarize: DNFs are personal, handled which ever way the Geocachers chooses to use them. They are not required. They're not particularly useful to the CO. Minor trivia in the game. No reason to make my DNFs public.

DNF's also an important part of the game!

I created a suggestion at the Feedback's forum, asking Groundspeak to make it visible at everybody's Public Profile in the same way everybody has their Founds visible.

If you agree with this suggestion, please support the idea, voting it:

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1330879-make-dnf-s-visible-at-the-public-profile?ref=title

I'd like to see them so I can soo who else might have an issue with a cache. It's good info.

I created a suggestion at the Feedback's forum, asking Groundspeak to make it visible at everybody's Public Profile in the same way everybody has their Founds visible.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1330879-make-dnf-s-visible-at-the-public-profile?ref=title

I'd like to see them so I can soo who else might have an issue with a cache. It's good info.

If you are interested in an issue with a cache, go to the cache's page. You can read all of the logs, including the DNFs. How does displaying all of my DNF logs in a list on MY public profile page help you with an issue with a single cache? More importantly, how does displaying that I have posted 320 DNF logs, (which was the OP suggested), help you research a single cache?

Edited by Don_J

EDIT: It's also not a very interesting number because it includes times that caches weren't even there...

If the cache wasn't there then it would be a DNF. You certainly wouldn't log it as found if it wasn't there. Doesn't seem there are too many other options.

Cache there and found means a found it log. Cache not found (regardless of why) means a DNF log. Simple.

Oh, and DNF's aren't logged enough as it is so I wouldn't vote to add the stat to public profiles.

If you looked and did not find it, that is a DNF, period.

I think that sentence is probably less crystal clear in practice than many would like it to be.

I agree. I generally post a DNF if I've looked and not found, but I also cache in a group, so I often let there be one DNF from the group rather than 3 of us posting one and putting those 3 logs as 3 out of the 5 logs downloaded in a PQ.

EDIT: It's also not a very interesting number because it includes times that caches weren't even there...

If the cache wasn't there then it would be a DNF. You certainly wouldn't log it as found if it wasn't there. Doesn't seem there are too many other options.

Cache there and found means a found it log. Cache not found (regardless of why) means a DNF log. Simple.

Oh, and DNF's aren't logged enough as it is so I wouldn't vote to add the stat to public profiles.

I disagree a little. When I can't find a cache, it usually means I'm looking too hard or looking in the wrong place ("Didn't find it" or "DNF"). By default I assume error on my part. However, if I have reasonable suspicion that it's truly missing I file a "Needs Maintenance". "Needs Maintenance" also applies when the box has been destroyed or its the box is found, but contents are missing (e.g. multi- or puzzle-caches).

Perhaps I'm too naive, but I expected going into Geocaching that the caches would be more disguised. I look so hard for the hollowed out rusty bolts, fake sprinkler heads and planted tree stumps that when a real cache is missing, I keep assuming I missed it. It's only if another Geocacher who has found the cache in the past speaks up that I realize the cache box was actually stolen, though I start to suspect if two other cachers surrounding my DNF log post also post a DNF.

For the record, I don't post each of my attempts. For example, there are two caches... both in the perimeter of children's parks that I keep frequenting. If I don't have any new information on my DNF, I don't repost after the first one. If, however, I discover something that could be helpful to the cacher who maintains it or to following cachers looking for it, I'll post another DNF with additional info. I had actually searched for the second stage's cache for "Wye ask Y" five times before posting a "Needs Maintenance", but only posted 1 DNF.

Someone mentioned they didn't want to have their DNFs publicized because they don't want to be judged. I'd have to say to those who think this way: Showing your finds without your did-not-finds is wrongful representation and you are therefore advocating deceitful practices. I have big trust issues with you.

There are other valid reasons not to show the DNFs in a profile, but there are even more valid reasons not to show any finds to the general public in a profile.

I write stories in many of my logs, and those stories are just as interesting (if you like them at all, anyway) in DNF and Note logs as in Found logs. Thus I would like an option to include other kinds of logs on my profile page. In fact, I could see an array of options so that I could share Found, Note, DNF, Owner Maint, NM, NA, Change Coordinates ... if I wish, the default being the current behavior where only Found logs are shared.

I could of course make a bookmark list of those caches and link it from my profile, but that's high maintenance.

The OP is unclear as to what is to be "made visible". I do not suggest making any other counts available, just an option for links to the logs and/or caches.

Edward

The OP is unclear as to what is to be "made visible". I do not suggest making any other counts available, just an option for links to the logs and/or caches.

Thank you Edward for your really nice post. My suggestion is to make visible all our DNFs in our Public Profile at the Geocaches Tab. I absolutelly agree that our Notes, Needs Maintenance, Owner Maintenance, Needs Archive and Change Coordinates should also be visible at our Public Profile.

I think this kind of logs are also a very important part of the game, and I see no valid reason to not be shared :)

I think this kind of logs are also a very important part of the game, and I see no valid reason to not be shared :)

I agree that they are an important part of the game, but keep in mind that they are shared - each is viewable by anyone visiting the cache page that the log applies to.

Given that they are already 100% public and shared, can you explain more about why you need the system to sort them for you at the "cacher" level? What geocaching need is unfulfilled?

Thank you everybody who's supporting the idea :)

So, the people who don't share your particular opinion HAVE to be wrong. You asked for input, and you didn't like what you got back. Sometimes that happens.

Why should my DNF stat matter to someone else? I agree with what was said earlier about "how do you define a DNF by specific perameters?" If I don't even bother looking when I get to GZ because the muggle count was too high at that moment, should that be a DNF because of an outside influence to the cache? Personally I'm not logging a DNF, but someone else might consider that a worthwhile DNF log.

This past weekend, I spent looking for 45 minutes for a cache and felt like a moron because I couldn't find it. Everyone else did. Not me. I'm not ashamed. It was the only cache I went after while I was out. Someone else might feel that ONLY 45 minutes spent looking isn't worthy of DNF, and you should spend atleast a minimum of an hour to look before abandoning the search and logging.

Meh. What validation or sense of accomplishment comes from seeing someone else's DNF numbers?

Edited by lil_cav_wings

If it was similar to the "cache found nearest to home" stat, and it was only visible to me it might be interesting, but even then I think people would log them even less. People are weird and wouldn't want to look at that number in some cases. We need MORE people logging DNFs not less. I'd vote a big NO. Sorry :)

EDIT: It's also not a very interesting number because it includes times that caches weren't even there, there were too many muggles around or thart I forgot a pen.

I would be somewhat interested to know how many times I've looked for a cache and didn't find it due to clever hides, but that's not the only thing DNF means to me.

You can already get this "stat" by viewing the DNF logs in your private profile.

Ok, I'll ask........... HOW do I do this? I'd like to be able to go back and take a look at my DNF logs.

EDIT: D'Oh! Never mind. I figured it out. I never knew I could do this. :)

98 entries. I should have more but for one reason or another haven't actually logged all DNFs. I tend to do it more now than when I was new to geocaching. I wish more people would log them - I know many who NEVER log a DNF. When someone logs a DNF on one of my caches it gets my attention.

Edited by Thrak

I agree that they are an important part of the game, but keep in mind that they are shared - each is viewable by anyone visiting the cache page that the log applies to.

Do you like to have your Founds visible in your Public Profile? Do your prefer to have it hidden from other geocachers?

The same for DNFs and other type logs.

Thank you everybody who's supporting the idea :)

So, the people who don't share your particular opinion HAVE to be wrong. You asked for input, and you didn't like what you got back. Sometimes that happens.

Sorry, you're right :anicute:

Thank you all for your healthy comments. Some of them made me also have some doubts about this suggestion, but I still think is a fair contribution to the game.

Why should my DNF stat matter to someone else?

The same as your Founds. Probabily nothing, but why do you still care about having your Founds visible at your Public Profile?

I agree with what was said earlier about "how do you define a DNF by specific perameters?"

If this feature will be implmented, please continue using the same criteria you are using now. I'm sure you're doing a pretty good job ;)

Personally I'm not logging a DNF, but someone else might consider that a worthwhile DNF log.

Do you consider worthwile loging a Found?

This past weekend, I spent looking for 45 minutes for a cache and felt like a moron because I couldn't find it. Everyone else did. Not me. I'm not ashamed.

It's not a reason to be ashamed. There are no Super Heroes :)

Meh. What validation or sense of accomplishment comes from seeing someone else's DNF numbers?

Exactly the same of seeing someone's else Found numbers :)

Do you like to have your Founds visible in your Public Profile? Do your prefer to have it hidden from other geocachers?

The same for DNFs and other type logs.

Actually I've been a bit of an advocate for profile controls for some time, so my answers to those questions probably aren't what you're looking for.

But you might have missed a question I asked earlier - I was hoping you could give an answer. Given that DNFs and other logs are already 100% public and shared, can you explain more about why you need the system to sort them for you at the level of the individual cacher? I'd like to understand where you are coming from, but so far I don't understand what geocaching need is being unfulfilled.

But you might have missed a question I asked earlier - I was hoping you could give an answer. Given that DNFs and other logs are already 100% public and shared, can you explain more about why you need the system to sort them for you at the level of the individual cacher? I'd like to understand where you are coming from, but so far I don't understand what geocaching need is being unfulfilled.

Exactly for the same reason you have your Founds visible on your Public Profile: to not have to search individualy in all the cache listings the DNFs you log :)

Exactly for the same reason you have your Founds visible on your Public Profile: to not have to search individualy in all the cache listings the DNFs you log :)

I suppose my question would be - why is it that you're interested in seeing all of the DNFs that I have logged? I haven't quite figured out how that is helpful from a geocaching standpoint.

Why should my DNF stat matter to someone else?

The same as your Founds. Probabily nothing, but why do you still care about having your Founds visible at your Public Profile?

[

Exactly the same of seeing someone's else Found numbers :)

Honestly, I could take-or-leave the "found" status too. I really haven't Found that many geocaches. There are plenty of folks out there that joined GC.com last weekend, and now have more logged caches than I do after a little over four years of being on this website.

I also went through a phase where I didn't log online at all, especially on Iraq or A-stan caches.

So, if my Found count doesn't matter, and I haven't been run off the forums by the Caching Legends for my noobish-looking Found amounts, why should anyone give a turd about my DNF status?

The reason that I really started coming back to the forum and following the exploits of the Caching Legends is to find caches that appeal to me and my active, adventure-seeking lifestyle. Kit Fox is a good example of this: dude wanders the desert like a nomad for miles and miles to find caches. I could care less how many Founds or DNFs he has! The man is eight-kinds of awesome, and I want to hear his stories and suggestions about caches. Same with nypaddlecacher, who travels ev.er.y.where. Could have a 75% DNF rate (which is doubtful), but it's the locations and stories that are interesting!

I guess my moral for all this geocaching stuff is to avoid comparing yourself to others through a number count... compare yourself to the geocacher that you desire to be.

Edited by lil_cav_wings

The reason that I really started coming back to the forum and following the exploits of the Caching Legends is to find caches that appeal to me and my active, adventure-seeking lifestyle. Kit Fox is a good example of this: dude wanders the desert like a nomad for miles and miles to find caches. I could care less how many Founds or DNFs he has! The man is eight-kinds of awesome, and I want to hear his stories and suggestions about caches. Same with nypaddlecacher, who travels ev.er.y.where. Could have a 75% DNF rate (which is doubtful), but it's the locations and stories that are interesting!

That's exactly my point!

Should I read just their sucessful histories of Found caches when I check their Public Profiles? The DNF histories are less interesting even when they wanders the desert like a nomad for miles and miles?

Should I have direct access just to their Found histories? The DNF histories are less important and not to be shared?

This is not my kind of Geocaching :(

I guess my moral for all this geocaching stuff is to avoid comparing yourself to others through a number count... compare yourself to the geocacher that you desire to be.

OK, if I desire to be like the Geocachers you mentioned above, don't you think we all should learn a lot with their DNFs? :)

I suppose my question would be - why is it that you're interested in seeing all of the DNFs that I have logged? I haven't quite figured out how that is helpful from a geocaching standpoint.

Exactly the same interest I have to see all your Founds :)

I definitely see that you equate Found Its and DNFs.

Can you explain more, about your interest in seeing my founds and DNFs? It makes sense to me to be interested in the history of a cache, since you may be hunting it and there may be interesting information in the logs. But I can't figure out why you'd be so interested in my history as a cacher.

I definitely see that you equate Found Its and DNFs.

Exactly! :)

Can you explain more, about your interest in seeing my founds and DNFs? It makes sense to me to be interested in the history of a cache, since you may be hunting it and there may be interesting information in the logs. But I can't figure out why you'd be so interested in my history as a cacher.

I don't want to disappoint you, but I have no particular interest to see your Founds or DNFs :)

But I have some interest to read all the stories of the hunts of some Geocachers I consider a reference for me, and in my opinion are so much passionating its stories of Founds as its stories of DNFs. In some cases its DNFs are much more passionating and interesting than the Found stories :)

I'm not concerning about the guys that have shame to share their DNF stories. They don't log it anyway...

I don't want to disappoint you, but I have no particular interest to see your Founds or DNFs

I meant "my" in a more general sense of "not yours"... I suppose something may have been lost in cross-Atlantic translation here.

But I have some interest to read all the stories of the hunts of some Geocachers I consider a reference for me, and in my opinion are so much passionating its stories of Founds as its stories of DNFs. In some cases its DNFs are much more passionating and interesting than the Found stories

I'd still rather control access to my own DNF/etc. logs but I at least think I understand what it is that you want now.

Maybe you could email some of the cachers you admire and ask them to send you a screen cap of their DNF history so that you can look the logs up.

I don't want to disappoint you, but I have no particular interest to see your Founds or DNFs

I meant "my" in a more general sense of "not yours"... I suppose something may have been lost in cross-Atlantic translation here.

Sorry for my lousy english, but it's just my fourth language :anicute:

But I have some interest to read all the stories of the hunts of some Geocachers I consider a reference for me, and in my opinion are so much passionating its stories of Founds as its stories of DNFs. In some cases its DNFs are much more passionating and interesting than the Found stories

I'd still rather control access to my own DNF/etc. logs but I at least think I understand what it is that you want now.

Maybe you could email some of the cachers you admire and ask them to send you a screen cap of their DNF history so that you can look the logs up.

It could be a solution, yes, but do you think geocaching would be so much fun as it is, if you have to ask all the geocachers to send you a screen cap of their Founds history to can see the logs up? ;)

I don't want to disappoint you, but I have no particular interest to see your Founds or DNFs :)

But I have some interest to read all the stories of the hunts of some Geocachers I consider a reference for me, and in my opinion are so much passionating its stories of Founds as its stories of DNFs. In some cases its DNFs are much more passionating and interesting than the Found stories :)

I'm not concerning about the guys that have shame to share their DNF stories. They don't log it anyway...

I think that it's quite a broad assumption to say that people who do not "share their DNF stories" do so out of "shame". Shame likely has nothing at all to do with it.

It's fine for you to indicate that you want to see the DNFs on someone's profile (although I don't agree) but it's wrong to assign the rationale of "shame" as such a broad brush to those who don't log them.

It could be a solution, yes, but do you think geocaching would be so much fun as it is, if you have to ask all the geocachers to send you a screen cap of their Founds history to can see the logs up? ;)

It would be for me, although I respect that it's fun for you to read through other cachers' histories. I can grok that.

Perhaps a solution would be to incorporate the Friends list. You could send a Friend request to a cacher you admire and he could have his profile set to share the text of all of his logs with his friends.

PS you speak at least three more languages than I do so please don't apologize for your English!

Perhaps a solution would be to incorporate the Friends list. You could send a Friend request to a cacher you admire and he could have his profile set to share the text of all of his logs with his friends.

It should be another nice solution, but I have to ask you: Do you agree to have access to the Founds on the Public Profile, just to the guys you have sent a Friend Request?

All I'm asking is an equal treatment for Founds and DNFs :)

PS you speak at least three more languages than I do so please don't apologize for your English!

In Portugal we're so close to Spain, France and Italy, we can't ignore their language :)

It should be another nice solution, but I have to ask you: Do you agree to have access to the Founds on the Public Profile, just to the guys you have sent a Friend Request?

All I'm asking is an equal treatment for Founds and DNFs :)

I'm actually a proponent of profile controls in general, so my answer would be yes. It's perfectly fine with me that everything is available on a cache page, but I wouldn't mind someone sending me a Friend request before paging through my logs and photos. That's been well-covered in another thread from a few weeks back and I don't want to make the ears bleed on people who disagreed with me then and likely disagree with me now, so I won't belabor the point. But in answer to your question, yes, I feel consistent on that point.

I think that it's quite a broad assumption to say that people who do not "share their DNF stories" do so out of "shame". Shame likely has nothing at all to do with it.

Ok, I recognize I might have a wrong idea why some people don't log their DNFs.

It's fine for you to indicate that you want to see the DNFs on someone's profile (although I don't agree) but it's wrong to assign the rationale of "shame" as such a broad brush to those who don't log them.

Ok, I'll not mention it again :)

I'm actually a proponent of profile controls in general, so my answer would be yes. It's perfectly fine with me that everything is available on a cache page, but I wouldn't mind someone sending me a Friend request before paging through my logs and photos. That's been well-covered in another thread from a few weeks back and I don't want to make the ears bleed on people who disagreed with me then and likely disagree with me now, so I won't belabor the point. But in answer to your question, yes, I feel consistent on that point.

Finaly you gave a good reason to check your Founds on your Public Profile :)

If anything, that feeds into my feeling that I'd prefer for there to be profile controls. I'm not a cacher you admire nor am I someone from your area that you'd use for a reference. I'm someone who got into a disagreement with you on a forum. I'm not particularly psyched that's how the public profile gets used.

I'm not sure you're helping your "every log should be available on every profile" campaign among folks here who are undecided, when you are simply using it to check out the details on people who don't agree with you.

If anything, that feeds into my feeling that I'd prefer for there to be profile controls. I'm not a cacher you admire nor am I someone from your area that you'd use for a reference. I'm someone who got into a disagreement with you on a forum. I'm not particularly psyched that's how the public profile gets used.

I'm not sure you're helping your "every log should be available on every profile" campaign among folks here who are undecided, when you are simply using it to check out the details on people who don't agree with you.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with your position and I think it's very consinting. I think you didn't have disagree to much with my position too :)

When I told you I've checked you profile, is just because I felt some empathy with your position and your posts, otherwise I will not spend my time with someone that tells nothing :)

Meh, I couldn't care less if you see all my DNF's or not. It is part of the game. Why people don't feel like they should log them is beyond me. But whatever. It would make it easier because I am nosy and like to see each and every cahce my friends have tried for and could or couldn't find :grin:

I would not care if my DNF's were displayed on my profile. As for the numbers, I really don't care how many caches anyone else has found or DNF'd. Whether you found 1 or 10,000 does not affect my game. Same for your DNF's. I only care how many I have found/DNF'd/etc.

When I got to 400 DNF's, just awhile back, I created, awarded, and posted on my profile page a "DNF MEDAL" (I like to award myself medals for all kinds of things).

My vote is that it does not really matter.

P.S. Now, if you want to talk, "how MANY caches someone placed", that's completely a different story.

It would make it easier because I am nosy and like to see each and every cache my friends have tried for and could or couldn't find :grin:

+1

There are a few names that pop up often enough in my area that I feel like I know that person a bit. If I meet them at an event, or exchange mail with them, we may discuss caches in our area. "Shop talk," you know. It's nice to follow along online with your friends. The way the site works now, you can only follow along with "found" logs, unless you happen to find a cache page where they wrote the DNF log.

Many times now, I will seek a cache in my area and discover, "Oh! My friend was here last week, but he did not find it."

So, the DNF log is no secret, but it is just more difficult to find them.

It has nothing to do with comparing statistics. More about comparing the places we have been, so I do not have to ask "so, have you ever been over to so and so cache yet?"

I wonder if having it more public would really cause people to stop writing DNF logs. Let's have an experiment -- we'll need to set up two versions of geocaching.com and have one show the DNF logs on the person's profile, and the other will not...

It would make it easier because I am nosy and like to see each and every cache my friends have tried for and could or couldn't find :grin:

+1

There are a few names that pop up often enough in my area that I feel like I know that person a bit. If I meet them at an event, or exchange mail with them, we may discuss caches in our area. "Shop talk," you know. It's nice to follow along online with your friends. The way the site works now, you can only follow along with "found" logs, unless you happen to find a cache page where they wrote the DNF log.

Many times now, I will seek a cache in my area and discover, "Oh! My friend was here last week, but he did not find it."

So, the DNF log is no secret, but it is just more difficult to find them.

It has nothing to do with comparing statistics. More about comparing the places we have been, so I do not have to ask "so, have you ever been over to so and so cache yet?"

I wonder if having it more public would really cause people to stop writing DNF logs. Let's have an experiment -- we'll need to set up two versions of geocaching.com and have one show the DNF logs on the person's profile, and the other will not...

Set up a notification for 50 miles and DNFs. Then, you can read DNF logs in your email, until you get tired of it.

That's basically the same way I feel. There are local cachers here (a husband and wife team) who seem to tackle every cache in the state. From 1/1's to 5/5's, they do them all. I'm not a numbers guy, so I don't really care about their find count...but I am very impressed by their caching abilities (and they write great logs!). Normally, I don't have any need at all to know another cachers DNF history but I'd love to be able to see at a glance what caches they've not been able to find.

I have to disagree with the suggestion to post DNF statistics on the profile page. I know of WAY too many cachers who do NOT log their DNFs. I am one of those people who DO log DNFs and I'm not embarrassed to do so. I cannot understand why some cachers will try to find a challenging cache over and over again and not log even one DNF on it. (But that's another thread, I know). :o

I agree that DNFs are an important part of the game, and log my own.

I disagree that they should be part of a user's public profile. You can see DNF logs on individual caches, where they are most important.

Showing them on a public profile WILL cause some folks not to log their DNFs. If you believe DNFs are important, then this suggestion is not going to be good for the game.

I'm a little confused why this was directed at me?

I clearly said DNFs include missing caches in the snippet you quote.

My point was just that a DNF represents a lot of different things. Overall, it's not finding the cache, but without more specificity I don't personally find how many/few DNFs someone has interesting. So even if they DID add it to people's profiles for some crazy reason, I still don't think I would personally look at them or be able to say much about it if I did.

I think it would be good to make it optional to display DNF count on one's profile. I was once reluctant to post DNFs but now I do so religiously. I think it is part of the fun of geocaching to share one's experiences openly so I see no shame in it. Indeed, I would like to get "credit" for being a good citizen (they help cache owners to spot potential problems) for logging my DNFs by having them appear in the profile.

Yes i'm still new at this and yes i'm a girl and my son and I have found 5 of six that we've been too and have logged 2 DNF's. We will log a DNF for any find we can't find.

One was just obviously not there and just the lid. We didn't find it and hopefully the cache owner will get back out there yet again to replace it. Not ashamed of that DNF at all!

The 2nd DNF is embarassing and I feel like an idiot! We went to a very new cache and looked for a good while and logged a DNF and days later a more experienced cacher found it and it was right where we looked. Feel like such a newbie! Don't really want to be reminded of that one. lol But it's human nature! And not really anybody's business but mine and the cache owner.

I see no reason for this info to be made public really. Think it's relavant only to the cache page it's self and for us being new if a cache has a bunch of DNF's on it we'll probably wait till we see a recent find on it before we go looking for those till we get better at this.

Yes i'm still new at this and yes i'm a girl and my son and I have found 5 of six that we've been too and have logged 2 DNF's. We will log a DNF for any find we can't find.

One was just obviously not there and just the lid. We didn't find it and hopefully the cache owner will get back out there yet again to replace it. Not ashamed of that DNF at all!

The 2nd DNF is embarassing and I feel like an idiot! We went to a very new cache and looked for a good while and logged a DNF and days later a more experienced cacher found it and it was right where we looked. Feel like such a newbie! Don't really want to be reminded of that one. lol But it's human nature! And not really anybody's business but mine and the cache owner.

I see no reason for this info to be made public really. Think it's relavant only to the cache page it's self and for us being new if a cache has a bunch of DNF's on it we'll probably wait till we see a recent find on it before we go looking for those till we get better at this.

Don't feel bad. I have found plenty of caches, enough that I am by no stretch of the word a newbie, and yet still have the occasional 1/1 cache kick my butt. As a matter of fact "occasionally" occurs with too much regularity. :laughing:

It wouldn't bother me at all. I have 363 DNF's and think it would be interesting to see other cacher's DNF rate. Not to judge them, but just as a statistical value, it would be interesting. I've never understood the stigma of logging a DNF. I even have a DNF coin that I visit at each DNF. It may have more miles than any of my other trackables.