Missing sig line

Here's what I tried just now, and it worked.

Fill out the "Forum Signature" box here:

http://www.geocaching.com/account/editprofile.aspx

Save Changes. Then come back to this forum, Sign Out. Sign back in. Done.

Some links aren't working (mostly the stuff linking to the new forum). It may take a while to get that all sorted out.

Edited by kunarion

No change. We even sign out of Geocaching.com, signed back in and then entered the forums through the caching page link.

Is there something in your sig line that might confuse the forum database? A bunch of line feeds, or anything that might be interpreted by the software as web data (symbols or whatever)? Just try that one signature "John" (without the quotes), see what happens.

Hey! Your actual username has parentheses in it! That's something I'd have to test for if I were making a database, particularly two databases that talk to each other. It's probably nothing*, but don't be surprised what computers can do.

*Don't go change your username for no reason, I'm just suggesting possibilities. But I have found a user that has a dash "-" in their username and a working sig line. So in theory you could try "2oldfarts -the rockhounders-" if the parentheses are the problem.

Edited by kunarion

It's looking to me like the parentheses in the username are the culprits. And I even tried changing a test username to no parentheses -- now it still won't show a sig line. Weird. But I haven't tried it with my "real" name 'kunarion', and can't guess what may happen if I fiddle with that. Okay, here's a guess: My username would not be affected, because any changes are linked to the original name in the database. Maybe.

What this means is, even if you go to your Profile page and do the "change name" thing, it still won't fix anything (I think). In which case, you'll have to get it specially fixed by Groundspeak. It's probably kind of important, beyond just causing a sig line problem.

Edited by kunarion

It's looking to me like the parentheses in the username are the culprits. And I even tried changing a test username to no parentheses -- now it still won't show a sig line. Weird. But I haven't tried it with my "real" name 'kunarion', and can't guess what may happen if I fiddle with that. Okay, here's a guess: My username would not be affected, because any changes are linked to the original name in the database. Maybe.

What this means is, even if you go to your Profile page and do the "change name" thing, it still won't fix anything (I think). In which case, you'll have to get it specially fixed by Groundspeak. It's probably kind of important, beyond just causing a sig line problem.

We figured out that it is a 'premium member' feature. Basic members do not get to have a sig line.

Nice that someone from Groundspeak didn't reply to this thread and save us some time and effort figuring out what happened to our sig line after the latest update to the forums.

John

We figured out that it is a 'premium member' feature. Basic members do not get to have a sig line.

Nice that someone from Groundspeak didn't reply to this thread and save us some time and effort figuring out what happened to our sig line after the latest update to the forums.

Groundspeak does not use the forums for addressing web site or forum issues anymore. The Feedback Site was created for posting and resolving issues, and the Groundspeak Lackey's monitor the Feedback Site for issues and address them there. If you notice, the "Geocaching.com Web Site" forum is closed and read only, and has also been moved to the very bottom of the forums. If you have a web site issue and want comments from Groundspeak, then you should go to the feedback site by using the link in the upper section of the main forums page or by using the link on the left side of every cache page that says "Feedback".

I am sorry that the moderators did not notice this topic. It happens. With the holidays I am sure all of the moderator team has been trying to squeeze in some fun with family and friends. Personally I was down with a severe root canal failure and resulting in endodontic treatment (last week was rough). In the forums you will get help from the community mostly, as you can see here. On the Feedback Site Groundspeak will see the issue and get involved directly.

I hope that helps.

John

Nice of them to change that... I've had one since I signed up... now it's gone, hopefully temporarily... like the location bit...

The forum title bit was PM as long as I've been here.

Hoping it's just housekeeping on the new software.

Doug 7rxc

Nice of them to change that... I've had one since I signed up... now it's gone, hopefully temporarily... like the location bit...

The forum title bit was PM as long as I've been here.

Hoping it's just housekeeping on the new software.

Doug 7rxc

I have requested that GS bring back the Signature line. I only need 7 more votes! Here is the link: Signature Lines

Hmmm, that's where I just created/updated mine.

That is correct. Because YOU are a Premium Member you can accomplish this feat. We were Not premium members, just a lowly plain Jane memeber and lost the Sig lines. We became Premium Members again and guess what? We now have a Sig Line once again! So, it appears that either this feature is now just for Premium Members or there is a blip in the system that leaves this out along with the missing locations.

Shirley~

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

I have requested that GS bring back the Signature line. I only need 7 more votes! Here is the link: Signature Lines

I see that Jeremy has indicated that the work is complete and should work... BUT... I haven't been able to get one to appear.

Has anyone else? Basic member that is! I have made sure the edit has taken and the signature is enabled... also tried all of the usual re register methods... logging off and on and also using the older enter from the GC site methods...

Right now, I simply assume it has been fixed in software for the next update but has not made it to Active yet... since I don't see any BM sigs at all... but do see the PM ones.

Doug 7rxc

I see that Jeremy has indicated that the work is complete and should work... BUT... I haven't been able to get one to appear.

Has anyone else? Basic member that is! I have made sure the edit has taken and the signature is enabled... also tried all of the usual re register methods... logging off and on and also using the older enter from the GC site methods...

Right now, I simply assume it has been fixed in software for the next update but has not made it to Active yet... since I don't see any BM sigs at all... but do see the PM ones.

Doug 7rxc

You are correct. It is NOT working. Just as the location is not. A premium member can have a sig line and change it at will, but not a non-paying member.

I do not know if this will be changed with future updates or if the new forums are just not responding to Jeremy's fix that he tried to do for us......

Shirley~

--------------

No sig line do we see. I had to type this one just now.

Yep... be patient folks... Jeremy has spoken, it will get done eventually... probably the same time they do the location line.

I suspect they simply had more to do with the update itself than time allowed, so little details had to wait...

I typed what I wanted for a while... was going to do a file of 'tag' lines just like you did... All I wanted was to bypass the location information while we waited... my sig was going to be something else...

Doug 7rxc

From Elkford BC