Magellan Explorist GC question

PixieQueen

I am fairly new to geocaching. I was using a Garmin Nuvi750, which I no longer have. I was given a Magellan Explorist GC today. I went to try it out, 2 successful finds :D .

Is there a way to view a driving route while caching with this unit? All it was showing me was a straight line between me and the cache location. I had to figure out how to drive there.

Is there a way to view a driving route while caching with this unit? All it was showing me was a straight line between me and the cache location. I had to figure out how to drive there.

I'm not familiar with this unit, but a review I read stated that the street navigation would have been a nice feature for Magellan to add to this unit because it was not there.

I am fairly new to geocaching. I was using a Garmin Nuvi750, which I no longer have. I was given a Magellan Explorist GC today. I went to try it out, 2 successful finds :D .

Its not that great a unit for driving, but if you can drive and look at the screen it will give you street names as you get closer. It is a good unit for hunting for the cache, though.

The GC has no capability to do turn by turn directions. Besides, the screen would be way too small to use safely while driving.

I just got one of these for Christmas, myself. Haven't tried it out yet as my computer is being worked on and hopefully brought back to life this week, LOL, but am planning for this weekend. So, since the Magellan itself isn't good for driving, how do I get to the location of the cache? Just put the coordinates in my car GPS, and get to the general area, then go from there with the Magellan? I'm directionally challenged (LOL) so I rely heavily on my car GPS daily. ;-)

I like the unit overall. I have had so much fun with it this past weekend.

The Explorist GC does show street maps. However, it does not show you turn by turn directions how to get there. I have found this makes caching a bit more challenging. Please don't try to use this unit while driving to find a cache. Yes, I would suggest using your car GPS to get you to the general area.

It helped me to cache in an area I was familiar with first so I could get used to operating it.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am mine :D

The GC has no capability to do turn by turn directions. Besides, the screen would be way too small to use safely while driving.

I just got one of these for Christmas, myself. Haven't tried it out yet as my computer is being worked on and hopefully brought back to life this week, LOL, but am planning for this weekend. So, since the Magellan itself isn't good for driving, how do I get to the location of the cache? Just put the coordinates in my car GPS, and get to the general area, then go from there with the Magellan? I'm directionally challenged (LOL) so I rely heavily on my car GPS daily. ;-)

A cache page will have a link on it for driving directions, I guess to any posted parking area.

I received this GPSr for Christmas as well. Even when I'm in an unfamiliar area, the map it provides is extremely helpful. You're able to zoom in and out to see the overall area and street names. This helps me plan my route to the next cache without having to rely on a turn by turn GPS or writing down directions like I had to with my old GPSr.

To the OP: Since you already have the Nuvi, use it for car navigation. The Nuvi can take coordinates.

I use a Nuvi and an eXplorist GC. I input the coordinates into the Nuvi and have it guide me close to the cache. Once I've parked the car, it's the eXplorist's turn to get me to the cache.

The eXplorist GC cannot do routing (turn by turn directions) but that's also why it's so cheap. However, it does come loaded with basemaps that generally cost about $100 to add to other GPS receivers. (I had paid $125 for those maps on my 60CSX) It's cool though to have those basemaps because you can tell if a cache is on the right or left side of the road.

The eXplorist GC has a lot of bang for it's buck :) . But it just can't route you to a cache. If you want a receiver that can do both, you'll have to shell out some more moolah! :)

The eXplorist GC has a lot of bang for it's buck :) . But it just can't route you to a cache. If you want a receiver that can do both, you'll have to shell out some more moolah! :)

After some experimenting, I've figured that my car TomTom can also have coordinates input in it to get me to the general area (driving); then my Magellan can take it from there for the actual "searching" part. :)

Happy hunting everyone!

In my honest opinion, like MamaKatO said, using your in-car navigation for the car and your handheld for outside the car is the best route.

I had a 60CSX and purchased the maps. It could route me to a cache and be a handheld unit. But the screen was small and it would only beep when I needed to turn. It was also notorious for beeping when I needed to turn. That's great if you're not on a highway doing 55 mph when it expects you to turn! LOL

I prefer Nuvi for car navigation, thankyouverymuch!

Also like MamaKatO said, TomToms can take coordinates too!