Oregon 550 or Oregon 550T. What to buy?

Sike43

Hello, I am debating on what one to buy, The 550 or the 550T. I live in Florida so I will be primarily used here. The T has topo maps that aren't routable from what I understand, so I would probally buy the 24k maps no matter what one I buy. So I am asking what everyone thinks about them. Pros, Cons, and any input what so ever.

I went with the 550T not for the 100k topo maps, but for the 100K DEM (digitial elevation model) data. Since you are in FL, it may not be that important to you. The DEM data will give you shaded releif (but when you use it, the screen is very hard to read). It will also add elevation data to a track (which allows you to see the elevation profile of the reat of your track. It will also add elevation data to a car route which allows you to view the elevation profile of your road trip. It also allows you to click on anywhere in the world and get the elevation (its 100K so it is not real accurate but it is pretty close). The 3d viewer also requires DEM data.

You can get DEM data by buying a T unit. You can also get it if you buy the Garmin 100K topo maps seperatly. garmin's 24K maps also have DEM data-it is 24K though (i.e., 4 times the resolution of 100K) Unfortunatly, those of us who make free maps for Garmins have not been able to figure out how to add DEM data to our maps.

Maps: You say you are going to buy Garmin's 24K topos. They have routable roads and 24k dem data but are expensive.

Another option is for street navigation buy Garmin's City Navigator. gpsfiledepot.com has free 24K topos for FL but they are not routable.

No matter which maps you go with, you should also get my My Trails which has extensive coverage in FL. It will show transparently on top of whatever map you have on your GPS: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53

The camera is irreplaceable. Once you get used to having it, you won't want to be without it. It takes fine pictures as long as you're not trying to be Ansel Adams with it. I've yet to receive any complaints about photo quality.

I went with the T model. Really solely for the convenience of having a nation wide map set of SOME sort no matter what. I also have the 24k maps for my area.

Either way, you're going to be using one heck of a great GPS.

I went with the 550 and here are some reasons why

1. I ALWAYS have a camera! Is not as good as a stand alone camera but it is always there.

2. The pre-loaded maps have relief lines like 60-80ft intervals the free maps on gpsfiledepo.com have 20ft intervals this is HUGE!!! Don't let anybody tell you different. In an area that does not have alot of hills you will never see any relief lines.

3. I bought the street maps so I use it just like a Nuvi on the road then switch to my hiking profile to use the topo maps.

4. The only real difference that I have noticed is that you cant use the 3d viewer in the non t model.

So for the same price as the 550t you can have a 550 that has all the same POI info and streets as a Nuvi as well as 20ft Topo maps all this with a camera that is water proof, shock proof and when you are going through the nasty stuff you only have one gadget to carry that is save from the environment.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

myotis: did you say if I get the 550 and buy 24k maps that the 550 will do DEM and 3D?

Are the 550 and the 550t exactly the same except for the maps? Hardware and software wise.

If I got a 550t am I able to turn topo maps on or off and use regular maps??

Anyone else have anything???

Yes it will do DEM but only for the area of the map

Yes, you can do that on the 550 and 550T

However, techinically, you have to turn off regular maps (City Navigator) to see the Topo maps. 100K topo maps are the lowest priorty to display, so everything covers them. City Navigator will cover up 24K and 100K topo maps. Unless you have a transparnet map like My Trails, you can only see one map at a time.

It is easy to do with profiles.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

myotis: did you say if I get the 550 and buy 24k maps that the 550 will do DEM and 3D?

Are the 550 and the 550t exactly the same except for the maps? Hardware and software wise.

Anyone else have anything???

The 550t has a large ramount of factory built-in memory too to accomodate the pre-loaded maps.

Maybe that's important to you and maybe not... but I thought I'd mention it.