Creating an Offset Multi

rmayben9

I created an offset multi back in the spring which requires the waypoint to be projected. However, the task was quite tedious with conversions of coordinates, distance, and bearing. Does anyone have a simpler way to get the distance and bearing between two points than what I am about to describe? I am looking at hiding a couple more of these, but there has to be an easier way. Thanks in advance for your help!

Here's the tedious method that I used:

1) Get coordinates of first stage.

2) Get coordinates of second stage.

3) Use a website (can't seem to find the right one at the moment) to determine the bearing and distance between the two stages. This is where all of the conversions were required.

How about this:

1)Same as what you did.

2)Same as what you did.

3)Go back to stage 1 and using your GPSr, select the waypoint for stage 2 and navigate to it. Before taking a step, read what the GPSr says the distance and bearing are to the waypoint.

Note: You could also stay at stage 2 and follow the same procedure (navigating to stage 1) taking into account your bearing will now be 180 degrees different.

With many GPSrs, you enter and save each waypoint, then create a route, and enter each of these as points in your route. When you highlight the second one, it shows the distance and direction to the second.

Use a program called FizzyCalc. Enter the coords of each and it will show you distance and direction.

The web site you can use is: GPSVisualizer

GSAK users can also use the GeoCalcV2P03.gsk micro. It basically does the same functions as the above mentioned utility.

I am not sure if anyone is watching this feed still but I have been trying to place what I think would be a mystery cache. It is around an archeology museum and I would like to add a "Indiana Jones" flare to it. I want to place something that I could hide a map in. The coordinates would take you there but there would not be anything to sign there. You would have to follow the map to find the "treasure chest". There would be no coordinates that you could use to find this put this is  where the log book would be. Any thoughts? If I do not hear back here I most likely post it and add a note like this for the reviewer.

Thanks,

tricket 

27 minutes ago, tricket said:

I am not sure if anyone is watching this feed still but I have been trying to place what I think would be a mystery cache. It is around an archeology museum and I would like to add a "Indiana Jones" flare to it. I want to place something that I could hide a map in. The coordinates would take you there but there would not be anything to sign there. You would have to follow the map to find the "treasure chest". There would be no coordinates that you could use to find this put this is  where the log book would be. Any thoughts? If I do not hear back here I most likely post it and add a note like this for the reviewer.

Thanks,

tricket 

This is a nice idea. It is acceptable because the GPS usage requirement will be fullfilled at the first stage. You can use whatever method you want with the final stage in this case.

17 hours ago, tricket said:

Thanks,

tricket 

Mystery cache would be fine, but if you are giving instructions or directions such as with a map rather than making them calculate coordiinates, I think a letterbox hybrid would be more appropriate (as long as you include a stamp and pad). Because you aren't giving a distance and bearing at Stage 1, then it wouldn't be an offset multi.