GPSmap 60CSx Won't Power Up On Batteries

CosmicMiami

So my trusty 60CSx will not power up on battery power. If I plug in the USB cord it works fine. If I unplug it while it is on, the backlight goes out but the LCD stays on for about three seconds then fade to gray. Looked at the battery terminals and they appear fine. Yes, they are good batteries :anitongue:

I searched online for a solution. Seems like others are having this problem but couldn't find any solutions.

Been awhile since I've been here to the forums. At the risk of upsetting the mods, the redesign is awful. Just MHO.

Cheers and Happy Holidays.

If I discounted your first sentence, I would say check the External Power Lost, and see if it is set to Turn Off, rather than Stay On. Main Menu>Setup>System, second from the bottom.

What happens when you shut the unit off, and then disconnect the USB cable?

Then I would save everything to my PC, as a hard reset will wipe it clean.

First trying to do a reset, with the unit free of the PC. Holding down Page and the Enter buttons, then the Power button, and the box should appear asking If you really want to erase all user data? click yes. Then it should reset to how it was when taken out of the box.

OK, it shut down before the box appeared. So now I would try a hard reset with the unit connected to the USB/PC, 'cause I know that there should be enough power to get to the Y/N box.

All that I can think of left to try, would be to download another software version, if I got this far.

I just noticed something on the System Setup Page>menu, Restore Defaults.

I need to check that out someday.

Just tried that one. Did get an update. Didn't work. Dang. I'm thinking this one needs to go back to Garmin. Thanks for the help. Just saw it's $110 for a "complete factory overhaul". Not sure what that includes. I do have a small crack in the top glass. Unit has worked fine for a year since that happened. Been kept dry and the LCD works fine.

Edited by CosmicMiami

If you can confirm there is no external break at the battery connectors, then the logical next step would be to take the unit apart to see if a solder joint came loose with the power. You risk killing it forever, of course.

For a non-invasive work-around, get one of those rechargeable lithium to USB power thingies (Duracell has one for under $30). It's clunky, it's no longer waterproof, and you risk much wear and tear on the USB connector.

Edited by Chrysalides

So my trusty 60CSx will not power up on battery power. If I plug in the USB cord it works fine. If I unplug it while it is on, the backlight goes out but the LCD stays on for about three seconds then fade to gray. Looked at the battery terminals and they appear fine. Yes, they are good batteries :anitongue:

I searched online for a solution. Seems like others are having this problem but couldn't find any solutions.

Been awhile since I've been here to the forums. At the risk of upsetting the mods, the redesign is awful. Just MHO.

Dear forums.Groundspeak.com

I have same the problem. I did step by step at above conversation, but it was not power on by battery (USB cable is OK). Please open mymind: why errors occur on ? Have any problem with user and preservation eqipment to occur the problem or only because hardware damage? I bought 60CSx two years ago, the last time I used it was 1 year ago and removed batery. But today, I insert new AA Alkeline Batery, it doesn't start.

is there a way to overcome the problem without sending to Garmin?

Thanks so much

Have a nice week

Dear forums.Groundspeak.com

I have same the problem. I did step by step at above conversation, but it was not power on by battery (USB cable is OK). Please open mymind: why errors occur on ? Have any problem with user and preservation eqipment to occur the problem or only because hardware damage? I bought 60CSx two years ago, the last time I used it was 1 year ago and removed batery. But today, I insert new AA Alkeline Batery, it doesn't start.

is there a way to overcome the problem without sending to Garmin?

Thanks so much

Have a nice week

If a fresh set of batteries, and checking the flexing of contacts doesn't work. Try...

1) Take a pencil erase to the contact and the ends of the batteries to clean off any small amount of corrosion.

2) Check that the two halves of the case of the 60CSx are securely attached to each other. The battery compartment is in the aft half while the bulk of the electronics are in the front half with the screen and buttons. Internal to the unit there are contacts that connect the output of the battery to the front half of the device. If the two halves aren't securely attached the battery output might not properly connect to the electronics. On my 5 yr old 60CSx the plastic parts that accepts the screws had failed at several of the screws and the unit wouldn't start properly. After some disassembly I super glued the broken plastic parts and it works again.

Good luck.

On 4/1/2013 at 7:05 PM, chuck4564 said:

2) Check that the two halves of the case of the 60CSx are securely attached to each other. The battery compartment is in the aft half while the bulk of the electronics are in the front half with the screen and buttons. Internal to the unit there are contacts that connect the output of the battery to the front half of the device. If the two halves aren't securely attached the battery output might not properly connect to the electronics. On my 5 yr old 60CSx the plastic parts that accepts the screws had failed at several of the screws and the unit wouldn't start properly. After some disassembly I super glued the broken plastic parts and it works again.

This is exactly the problem I have.  All four screw holes inside are broken. Unfortunately, there's no way I'm going to be able to super glue the plastic parts back together. I chatted with Garmin today and they said this unit is discontinued and can no longer be repaired or refurbished.  So I put it back together and wrapped some clear gorilla tape around the case over the upper screen area to keep it tight. Seems to be working normally now. 

Edited by Sea_Dog
Add more text
  • Funny 1