Commonwealths, not States

With all of these 'souvenirs' being handed out and thinking GS wants to be politically correct, the following are technically not States:

Kentucky

Massachusetts

Pennsylvania

Virginia

You may want to consider changing four of the icons or whatever they are?

P.S. In case I didn't mention it, they are Commonwealths!

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

With all of these 'souvenirs' being handed out and thinking GS wants to be politically correct, the following are technically not States:

Kentucky

Massachusetts

Pennsylvania

Virginia

<_<

Oh, good grief!

Kentucky

Massachusetts

Pennsylvania

Virginia

Sorry but this counts as Trolling in my eyes.

The words are synonymous in the governmental context. Commonwealth was just a popular term with some at the time of the revolution. The terms are interchangeable, although commonwealth is a bit more formal.

I live in Pennsylvania.

If I drive too fast I don't get pulled over by the Commonwealth Police, it is the State Police.

Joe Pa coaches at Pennsylvania State University (OK, this example does not work for VCU).

Kentucky

Massachusetts

Pennsylvania

Virginia

<_<

Oh, good grief!

I second your good grief and add a :rolleyes:

Kentucky

Massachusetts

Pennsylvania

Virginia

'Konnarock Kid & Marge', being "politically correct" involves the attempt to avoid offending anyone. I challenge you to find anyone from PA, MA, KY, or VA who would take offense to someone referring to their home as a state instead of as a commonwealth. And FYI, from Wikipedia: "Four of the states bear the formal title of commonwealth: Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. In these cases, this is merely a historically-based name and it has no legal effect."

John in Valley Forge, I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. Some people simply love looking for a reason to complain. I heard a line in a movie once, that someone "would change her name to TV Listings just to get her name in the paper!" That holds true in cases like this as well.

Since the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag says "to the United States of America" I guess we should take four stars off and set those 4 free to create their own empire. I would miss Virginia but assume with a passport I could still get in.

UNLESS...maybe those "extra" four stars represent four "other" states? Perhaps they stand for the State of Confusion, the State of Disarray, the State of Disrepair, and the State of <fill in the blank>.

...I challenge you to find anyone from PA, MA, KY, or VA who would take offense to someone referring to their home as a state instead of as a commonwealth.

Not too hard to do, apparently. In a conversation with certain business associates in the Boston/Cambridge area, I made reference to "state law" in Mass...at which point, I was quickly interrupted and reminded "Massachusetts is not a state, it is a commonwealth." Granted, I didn't directly ask if they were offended by my remark, but given the positioning of their noses relative to atmospheric elevation, I don't believe I needed to...

...I challenge you to find anyone from PA, MA, KY, or VA who would take offense to someone referring to their home as a state instead of as a commonwealth.

Not too hard to do, apparently. In a conversation with certain business associates in the Boston/Cambridge area, I made reference to "state law" in Mass...at which point, I was quickly interrupted and reminded "Massachusetts is not a state, it is a commonwealth." Granted, I didn't directly ask if they were offended by my remark, but given the positioning of their noses relative to atmospheric elevation, I don't believe I needed to...

Several years ago I was standing in line at a grocery store and noticed the person in front of me had a small backpack with about a half dozen "frisbees". I said, "nice collection of frisbee's...I play frisbee golf almost every day with my co-workers." She turned around, raised her nose to a proper elevation, paused for dramatic effect and said, "these are not frisbee's, they're flying discs".

In souvenir related news, I noticed that one of the latest souvenirs is for Slovenská republika (would residents of that country be offended if I called it Slovakia?), the second winner of the feedback poll. The next highest now is a request for "European Countries" followed by one for the "ET Trail". The next highest country is Portugal. It looks like GS is going to take into account opinions on the feedback site for future souvenirs. Get your votes in.

From here in Philadelphia: quick search of the Constitution of the United States of America yields no mention of "commonwealth." The message of ratification for Pennsylvania of said Constitution reads in part, however:

"Be it known unto all men, that we, the delegates of the people of the commonwealth of Pennsylvania, in General Convention assembled, have assented to and ratified, and by these presents do, in the name and by the authority of the same people, and for ourselves, assent to and ratify the foregoing Constitution for the United States of America."

BTW, my newly awarded souvenir for the Slovenská Republika is in Slovak. Guess I'll see how good the online translators are...

(It'll be worse if they give me a souvenir for Hungary, language wise)

Some nice caches, though.

Not too hard to do, apparently. In a conversation with certain business associates in the Boston/Cambridge area, I made reference to "state law" in Mass...at which point, I was quickly interrupted and reminded "Massachusetts is not a state, it is a commonwealth."

To which there would have been only one proper response:

goodgrief.jpg

I agree whole-heartedly with Konnarock Kid! Just because most people do not realize that they are commonwealths does not change the fact that they are. This is called the dumbing of America. I brought this up earlier in refrence to the souvenirs. What is even worse is that people are harassing KK for pointing out this mistake. He is correct.

Yes. They are four of the fiftly states, but they are commonwealths. The souvenir should read "Virginia Commonwealth". Groundspeak should make this correction. It is NOT "The State of Virginia", it is "The Commonwealth of Virginia."

Kentucky

Massachusetts

Pennsylvania

Virginia

That's it! The whole thing is now screwed up. Time to ax the souvenirs. :laughing:

I agree whole-heartedly with Konnarock Kid! Just because most people do not realize that they are commonwealths does not change the fact that they are. This is called the dumbing of America. I brought this up earlier in refrence to the souvenirs. What is even worse is that people are harassing KK for pointing out this mistake. He is correct.

Yes. They are four of the fiftly states, but they are commonwealths. The souvenir should read "Virginia Commonwealth". Groundspeak should make this correction. It is NOT "The State of Virginia", it is "The Commonwealth of Virginia."

I also harrass those folks that, when you ask, "Did you see that gorgeous full moon last night?" they respond with "Its not full for two more days" or when you say, "Gee, we're getting a lot of snow this winter!" and they come back with, "It isn't winter for two more days". Too all, I say, Good Grief!

If they are, as you state, 'four of the 50 states', then the souvi is correct and there is nothing to complain about.

Moving on.

Edited by sbell111

I also harrass those folks that, when you ask, "Did you see that gorgeous full moon last night?" they respond with "Its not full for two more days" or when you say, "Gee, we're getting a lot of snow this winter!" and they come back with, "It isn't winter for two more days". Too all, I say, Good Grief!

Come on, no one would actually do that.

It happened to me just this year. Clerk in a convenience store. Well, in truth, the context was a bit different. I think she said, "Yes, and it isn't even really winter yet!" :unsure:

I do agree with the OP - I have always taken pride in the fact that PA is a commonwealth. I was a Notary Public for 12 years, and my seal was from Erie County, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Legally, it really doesn't make much of a difference. However, that is the proper name. I don't think anyone in here would like to just have someone call them by a common pronuncuation of their name instead of their given, correctly pronounced name, or spell their name in a common way instead of the correct way, if there was a difference. They chose back then to be commonwealths. We should respect that.

Kentucky

Massachusetts

Pennsylvania

Virginia

That's it! The whole thing is now screwed up. Time to ax the souvenirs. :laughing:

That's the best response so far!

Sorry if the original post offended you patriots who had to remind us that this is the United States, but in the four Commonwealths/States, the preference is Commonwealth! Now mind you, no one is succeeding from the Union, it's just a local preference!

It happened to me just this year. Clerk in a convenience store. Well, in truth, the context was a bit different. I think she said, "Yes, and it isn't even really winter yet!" :unsure:

I think sbell111 gotcha.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=265330&view=findpost&p=4563737

I do agree with the OP - I have always taken pride in the fact that PA is a commonwealth. I was a Notary Public for 12 years, and my seal was from Erie County, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Legally, it really doesn't make much of a difference. However, that is the proper name. I don't think anyone in here would like to just have someone call them by a common pronuncuation of their name instead of their given, correctly pronounced name, or spell their name in a common way instead of the correct way, if there was a difference. They chose back then to be commonwealths. We should respect that.

Pennsylvania is both a Commonwealth and a State. I was born in Pennsylvania. I was employed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for over 35 years. My pay (and pension) is deposited in the Pennsylvania STATE Employees Credit Union. We have Pennsylvania State Police and I was a Pennsylvania State Forest Officer. PA also has a "Secretary of State". The Commonwealth seal which appears on the state flag has a ribbon underneath the 2 horses which says "Virtue Liberty and Independence". The Commonwealth designation dates back to the first lines of the Charter/Constitution of the Commonwealth of PA.

I also harrass those folks that, when you ask, "Did you see that gorgeous full moon last night?" they respond with "Its not full for two more days" or when you say, "Gee, we're getting a lot of snow this winter!" and they come back with, "It isn't winter for two more days". To all, I say, Good Grief!

I think sbell111 gotcha.

http://forums.Ground...dpost&p=4563737

:lol::lol::lol: Yeah, he sure did! Got me good.:lol:

Perhaps they stand for the State of Confusion, the State of Disarray, the State of Disrepair, and the State of <fill in the blank>.

State of Intoxication. Which is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the original post.

Not here in Pennsylvania. All sales of intoxicating spirits are controlled by the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (LCB) and sold through State Stores (not Commonwealth Stores). The state has a monopoly on liquor here. Bars and restaurants must purchase their stock from the state. And yet the motto on our state website calls Pennsylvania the "State of Independence".

Kentucky

Massachusetts

Pennsylvania

Virginia

And they say I'm pedantic... :lol:

Since the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag says "to the United States of America" I guess we should take four stars off and set those 4 free to create their own empire. I would miss Virginia but assume with a passport I could still get in.

UNLESS...maybe those "extra" four stars represent four "other" states? Perhaps they stand for the State of Confusion, the State of Disarray, the State of Disrepair, and the State of <fill in the blank>.

"INSANITY". I hate being politically correct. As long as its not demeaning...why not call it what it is.

By the way...one of these commonwealths already tried to create their own empire (excuse me, COUNTRY) with other states.

Kentucky

Massachusetts

Pennsylvania

Virginia

'Konnarock Kid & Marge', being "politically correct" involves the attempt to avoid offending anyone. I challenge you to find anyone from PA, MA, KY, or VA who would take offense to someone referring to their home as a state instead of as a commonwealth. And FYI, from Wikipedia: "Four of the states bear the formal title of commonwealth: Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. In these cases, this is merely a historically-based name and it has no legal effect."

John in Valley Forge, I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. Some people simply love looking for a reason to complain. I heard a line in a movie once, that someone "would change her name to TV Listings just to get her name in the paper!" That holds true in cases like this as well.

Why don't you just take a look at the motto below my avatar? Thats right, it's also on our flag of the Commonwealth of Virginia. And don't forget the Republic of Texas. Many former States did not rejoin the Union after the War of Northern Oppression, and our Commonwealth of Virginia is one of them.

Let's toss out all of the rights and benefits accorded to the several states. Of course we would also need to consider the many $$$ the commonwealths contribute to the national well being. Then again, I can see certain benefits that could be obtained by excluding the commonwealths. :laughing:

Let's toss out all of the rights and benefits accorded to the several states. Of course we would also need to consider the many $$$ the commonwealths contribute to the national well being. Then again, I can see certain benefits that could be obtained by excluding the commonwealths. :laughing:

Without the Commonwealths of Virginia, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania, and the Coal that we supply this Nation, those cold winter nights up North would be much colder without electricty. Not so funny now is it?