Logging your own caches?

kykyred

my friend logs all the caches he makes and i have to disagree with him because its one you've ,made and not found which in my book is cheating to just get a higher score, am i right? anyway his thinking is that it makes it so that your caches don't come up in the search selection when searching for new caches. it seems redundant to me but im curious as to what others view this as

my friend logs all the caches he makes and i have to disagree with him because its one you've ,made and not found which in my book is cheating to just get a higher score, am i right? anyway his thinking is that it makes it so that your caches don't come up in the search selection when searching for new caches. it seems redundant to me but im curious as to what others view this as

I wouldn't look at it as cheating to get a higher score. There are sometimes good reasons for logging a cache you also own. But your friend is wrong. When you search for a nearby caches you can hide both the caches you have found and the caches you own, so you don't have log finds on caches you own to keep them from coming up. Tell your friend that logging your own caches is considered "bad form". You can refer him to the Groundspeak Knowledgebooks here.

thanks haha i knew it was wrong ima link him this post, btw what i was saying was in the search on the iphone app because theres no filter like that and all that we get anymore is our caches because we have made them all in the area and have found all those ones, they just need to update the iphone app which i put in a request for so hopefully soon that update will be made

I agree with the "bad form" comments.

Wondering also about the "score" comment as well...are we graded on this hobby!?!

I thought we were just all having fun playing a game.

Granted, after reading the forums, it is clear some like playing this game differently than others, at the end of the day, it should still be about having fun right!?!

Happy Geocaching!

Happy Holidays! - hawkeyetob

Is your friend a card carrying AARP member, yet? Shot, now that I'm a little older... I could hide a cache, wait a few weeks, and have trouble finding it :lol: But that shortened memory does come in handy with watching TV reruns - know I've seen it before... but just can't remember how it ends :(

the search on the iphone app because theres no filter like that and all that we get anymore is our caches because we have made them all in the area and have found all those ones, they just need to update the iphone app which i put in a request for so hopefully soon that update will be made

The filter for hiding your finds also includes your hides on the GC iphone app.

Edited by IBcrashen

I think that its silly to log your own caches, but each to his own I suppose. As long as it doesnt impact my game, then I dont really have a problem with it.

One thing that I wonder is how many caches are we talking about? If he has in the hundreds of hides, then is he going to maintain them? Caches that do not stay maintained do bother me...

It doesnt actually have a filter for your own hides though but it does filter ones youve found, what im saying is that there needs to be a filter for caches that you have hidden so they dont clog up the search results page when u want to find some caches around u that arent your own

There really isn't a good reason to log your own cache...or is there?

You can't 'favorite' a cache you haven't found...

Just sayin'...

Can't log a cache that you have found if you own it. And before you all start looking down your noses at me and whispering behind my back, we logged the find BEFORE we adopted the cache. Quite a bit before :P

One reason I've seen for people to log their own cache is to update mileage on trackables they carry. Personally I would log a note but some log finds.

Edited by NicknPapa

It doesnt actually have a filter for your own hides though but it does filter ones youve found, what im saying is that there needs to be a filter for caches that you have hidden so they dont clog up the search results page when u want to find some caches around u that arent your own

Yes it does filter out your hides. I have switched the my finds filter off/on 3 times now and done a search on each flip ( 6 total searches now) and every time my hides disappear along with my finds. and yes, I have never logged one of my own caches.

I am using version 4.2.1.

Edited by IBcrashen

View Postkykyred, on 23 December 2010 - 05:43 PM, said:

Yes it does filter out your hides. I have switched the my finds filter off/on 3 times now and done a search on each flip ( 6 total searches now) and every time my hides disappear along with my finds. and yes, I have never logged one of my own caches.

I am using version 4.2.1.

oh im using 3.1.3 on the 1st iphone generation , i got it jailbroken with a theme on there but it should make no difference , the app is uptodate , and while i had my 3gs the filter was never there either my 3gs was running 4.1 and i had it till about 2 weeks ago? and is the filter called then cause iv looked in settings and the filter and the sort field. u want to tell me where the filter is at?

I believe there is at least one instance where a CO is good to log his/her own caches and that is in the instance of a challenge cache (IE: DeLorme or County Challenges). The logistics of completing a challenge cache pretty much, at least in my mind, levels the playing field for all, with the logging of the final cache being a proprotionately small part of completing the overall entire challenge. So I see no problem in a CO logging a smiley, at least for challenge caches.

I saw this at a local geocaching event when a guy that logs his own caches walked by:

istockphoto_6800879-really-young-woman-whispering-gossip.jpg

I never saw any Geocachers who looked like that at any event I've been to. I'm going to have to attend some Minnesota events. After the snow melts, and the dome is re-inflated, of course.

Logging a cache you hid as a find is not all that cheesy. Having a cache you hid archived by a reviewer, blaming finders for not being "stealthy" enough, and ranting that if your cache on private property without permission needs to be archived, all caches on private property without permission need to be archived, AND THEN logging a cache you hid as a find, is cheesy. :huh:

You can't "find," something if you already know where it is.

Logging your own caches or those you've helped hide as finds defies the entire premise of the game/sport and shouldn't be allowed.

Except that "know where it is" and "your own caches" (or "helped hide") aren't necessarily the same thing.

I've known cache owners to post DNFs for their own caches, and I've been contacted by cache owners because I had found their caches most recently and they wanted to know where I had found them. I figure that if cache owners can DNF their own caches, then there might be situations where they could consider logging a Find on their own caches too.

And then there's the more obvious example of adopted caches that you haven't previously found.

Logging your own caches or those you've helped hide as finds defies the entire premise of the game/sport and shouldn't be allowed.

It's that simple.

The more laid-back something is the more some people will take advantage.

How is logging your own cache "taking advantage" of anything? What is the advantage?

It's that simple.

How is logging your own cache "taking advantage" of anything? What is the advantage?

The advantage is that you know exactly where it is. It kinda defeats the whole notion of finding.

Of course that assumes that the cache is still where you placed it. I've gone out for maintenance and found that my cache had migrated quite some distance away from where I had placed it. In that case I had to "find it" myself (but I didn't log it as a find, that would be lame).

Except that "know where it is" and "your own caches" (or "helped hide") aren't necessarily the same thing.

I've known cache owners to post DNFs for their own caches, and I've been contacted by cache owners because I had found their caches most recently and they wanted to know where I had found them. I figure that if cache owners can DNF their own caches, then there might be situations where they could consider logging a Find on their own caches too.

And then there's the more obvious example of adopted caches that you haven't previously found.

"Know where it is," and, "your own cache," are exactly the same thing. Personally I've never seen a CO log a DNF on his/her own cache but my guess would be that if it did happen it would be WAY AFTER publishing when he/she goes back to the cache to perform maintenance and can't find it because dozens/hundreds of cachers have handled it and it potentially was moved. I have seen CO's replace a cache because they couldn't find the original thus leaving 2 ( or more ), caches in VERY CLOSE proximity to eachother but I've never seen a CO post a DNF on their own cache.

At any rate, we have quite a few cachers in our area who log their own caches and those they've helped hide as finds.

After noticing this "logging your own caches as finds," trend about 1 month ago we Googled the phrase "logging my own cache as a find," and found the following below. When we googled the same phrase this evening we couldn't find anything pertaining to this subject ! We were only able to post this here because a friend whom we shared the info with still had the email we sent them...

"5.5. Logging My Own Cache"

"Can I log a find on my own cache? What about when I go back to visit?"

"It is considered "bad form" to log a find on your own cache, no matter when you do it. The same is true if you re-visit another traditional cache (for example to place or retrieve a travel bug). Use the "post a note" log option to record your visit in these circumstances."

"In either case, you're not "finding" a cache because you already know where it is. Save the smiley face for use when you've truly discovered a hidden cache."

"Many thanks to Volunteer Cache Reviewer Keystone for initially developing this article."

It is just as bad as people who log virtuals caches as finds that have never been there either. Just lame number pumpers. :rolleyes:

Well, there's a big difference between finding a cache you own and Googling the answers to a virtual...one you already know where it is, and the other you had to work to get the answer. However, that's a whole different and tired discussion about virtuals.

Both actions are dismissed by many people and both are accepted by many people. In the end, it doesn't matter to me what others do...I just like caching. :)

Is your friend a card carrying AARP member, yet? Shot, now that I'm a little older... I could hide a cache, wait a few weeks, and have trouble finding it :lol: But that shortened memory does come in handy with watching TV reruns - know I've seen it before... but just can't remember how it ends :(

That's funny, but you know, there's a slight bit of truth there. When one of my caches needed maintenance, it took me about 10 minutes to find it! Of course, I was sure I knew where it was so didn't put it in my GPSr, and spent the time looking in the wrong spot :laughing: My AARP card did not help one bit!

p.s I did not log the find.......

Edited by GrateBear

"Know where it is," and, "your own cache," are exactly the same thing.
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Cache owners don't always know where their caches are when they return to cache sites.

Personally I've never seen a CO log a DNF on his/her own cache but my guess would be that if it did happen it would be WAY AFTER publishing when he/she goes back to the cache to perform maintenance and can't find it because dozens/hundreds of cachers have handled it and it potentially was moved. I have seen CO's replace a cache because they couldn't find the original thus leaving 2 ( or more ), caches in VERY CLOSE proximity to eachother but I've never seen a CO post a DNF on their own cache.
Exactly my point. Perhaps the CO forgot where he hid the cache. Perhaps cache migration has put the cache too far away from the original location. Perhaps finders have rehidden the cache much better than it was originally hidden. I've seen cases where cache owners were unable to find a cache that was within 2 feet of the original hide location, only hidden differently and much more effectively than the CO originally hid it.

Some COs who can't find their cache will "replace" it and post an Owner Maintenance log. (Yes, I've found caches with multiple containers hidden by the CO too.) Others will archive it. Others will quietly email one of the more recent finders to ask where it was when they found it. Others will post a Note or an Owner Maintenance letting everyone know they couldn't find it, but assume it's still there since others are finding it. Others will post a DNF saying the same thing.

Yes, I think it's a bit silly to log a find for your own cache, even if it took several hours, multiple trips, and "spoilers" from previous finders before you could find it again. But I'm not going to complain if someone wants to use the system to record their experiences that way. I also think it's a bit silly to log multiple finds for a grandfathered traveling cache. But I'm not going to complain if someone wants to play the game that way either.

It's that simple.

The advantage is that you know exactly where it is. It kinda defeats the whole notion of finding.

Of course that assumes that the cache is still where you placed it. I've gone out for maintenance and found that my cache had migrated quite some distance away from where I had placed it. In that case I had to "find it" myself (but I didn't log it as a find, that would be lame).

Yes, but what advantage is gained by logging it?

It's that simple.

They pretty much sum it up. It's short, sweet and to the point. Anyone who logs their own caches or caches they've helped place, are LAME!You know where the caches is, so go find some that you had no part of and log those caches as "finds". LAME, you should be ashamed!

I saw this at a local geocaching event when a guy that logs his own caches walked by:

I never saw any Geocachers who looked like that at any event I've been to.

+1

This might be more like it

beetlejuice.jpg

Naw... those are two guys talking about logging their own caches. That is why they are sitting by themselves.

Well, actually, knowing where it is is not the advantage here, because you probably will not to and physically "find" it before you log your own caches. The real advantage is that you have a pretty good idea that the cache owner is not going to delete your find. If he does, then you have problems that we can't help you with here.

Perhaps the more important question is "Why do you care about other people's stats?"

I don't log my own caches but could totally care less if you do.

Someone logged my cache but didn't actually find it? I wouldn't do it, I think that's pretty darn lame, but beyond that I don't much care. I've never checked a paper log against online logs and do not intend to start.

My stats are inflated by a couple hundred event caches while at the same time short by a couple thousand finds which I never logged online. Anyone who judges me by my stats will be sorely misguided! I suspect that this is true for a great number of geocachers.

Trying to judge or evaluate a cacher by his stats is lame.

Worrying about what other people do is lame. <_<

Perhaps the more important question is "Why do you care about other people's stats?"

I don't log my own caches but could totally care less if you do.

Someone logged my cache but didn't actually find it? I wouldn't do it, I think that's pretty darn lame, but beyond that I don't much care. I've never checked a paper log against online logs and do not intend to start.

My stats are inflated by a couple hundred event caches while at the same time short by a couple thousand finds which I never logged online. Anyone who judges me by my stats will be sorely misguided! I suspect that this is true for a great number of geocachers.

Trying to judge or evaluate a cacher by his stats is lame.

Worrying about what other people do is lame. <_<

So, what is wrong with being lame?

Everyone is lame in some way. People who are obviously lame tend to make up for it in other non-lame ways.

Pointing out other people's lameness, is usually an attempt to hide a deeper inner lameness.

Calling others lame, is lame.

You're all lame !!! :D