allory

Oregon x50 software version 4.32 Beta

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4743

Changes made from version 4.31 to 4.32:

* Fixed issues with WAAAS/EGNOS

* Fixed issue with moon not showing on sun and moon page

* Fixed issue with photo viewer not displaying correctly

* Fixed issue with progress bar displaying properly on power up

* Fixed issue with waypoint distances showing significantly off in the waypoint manager

* Fixed issue with 3D view

* Fixed issue with track navigation not adding waypoints to the Active Route list when they are exactly equal to a track point

* Problems with the software may be reported to OregonBeta@garmin.com

Beta installed and still no hot WAAS love on my handheld. :(

Check your GPS mode under System>Setup>GPS my Oregon 300 was defaulted to Normal. Set it to WAAS/EGNOS and immediately pick up 51.

Thanks, but that was the first thing I did for this and the previous beta. two hard resets later, I still don't have any WAAS. After the initial startup, it teased me a little looking like it was locking on 51 and then it gave up. I'll carry it with me tomorrow and see if it eventually comes up.

Has anyone noticed an issue with the 'enter next stage' feature? When I enter the next stage coordinates, the unit still navigates to the published location. :unsure:

Can't say I've noticed that, and I'm 99% sure that I've used that feature at least at some point, probably even much more than once.

Haven't tried the 'next stage' function lately with my O550. But, I'm getting rock solid, 3 metre lockons with or without waas and I'm practically out in the Atlantic ocean. On well placed, recently hid caches I'm almost standing on the cache when it say zero. Going to Ontario and Quebec tomorrow for a couple days so looking forward to that.

Now what I'd really like, as I said before, are the attributes and cache page pictures. The data is in the GPX file so why not? The Mag GC's have it.

[Attributes yes, pictures no.

Well the deal is, if I got it right, the pictures are already in the gpx file. Now, these are not the uploaded pics from a finder (ie the gallery)but the pics that are part of the cache page. So if a reference is made to a picture from the cache page, you can see it. A buddy of mine has the GC and it is pretty slick. It's just another tab on the geocache section of the gps. An example would be a puzzle cache that requires you to relate an image on the cache page to what you are hunting for. My buddy can see the image- I cannot unless I print the page off ahead of time. A pain.

Pictures are not in the GPX file. Links to pictures may be. GPX files are simple text files.

Now I need clarification. My buddy with the Mag GC gets the pocket querie from GC. It comes with pics embedded in the file. it's not a link. The GC is not wireless. He gets 1000 caches at a time, no prob. Is he getting a different GPX file than my pocket querie? I've seen the pictures. This guy is not a newb - he has 8000 finds. This is confusing.

If he has no wireless connectivity that would allow him (ahem) direct access to gc.com to pull in those images, he's using GSAK or some similar application to pull down all of the images associated with each cache. Look at the bleedin' *.gpx file from your PQ with a word processor if you don't believe us (it's a text file) and please stop arguing with everyone about what is/isn't in those files. Many of us have spent considerable time researching the nuances of *.gpx in its various flavors.

There's a reason why the GSAK macro (while deprecated by gc.com) to pull images from the site exists. You need a separate tool to get them.

Edited by ecanderson

If he has no wireless connectivity that would allow him (ahem) direct access to gc.com to pull in those images, he's using GSAK or some similar application to pull down all of the images associated with each cache. Look at the bleedin' *.gpx file from your PQ with a word processor if you don't believe us (it's a text file) and please stop arguing with everyone about what is/isn't in those files. Many of us have spent considerable time researching the nuances of *.gpx in its various flavors.

There's a reason why the GSAK macro (while deprecated by gc.com) to pull images from the site exists. You need a separate tool to get them.

Hmm, I'll ask him about this. He just uses the Magellan software to load a regular gox file but it must have some other approach to the PQ.

In the meantime, you should have another beer and relax, buddy. Talk about a separate tool.

Hmm, I'll ask him about this. He just uses the Magellan software to load a regular gox file but it must have some other approach to the PQ.

It's entirely possible that this application is pulling down additional information from gc.com in the way of images before loading the works to his unit.

In the meantime, you should have another beer and relax, buddy. Talk about a separate tool.

On the whole, you'll find me a rather even tempered sort (check other posts over the years). However, with a serious case of the flu, my tolerance for argument in the face of evidence (especially when the ability to verify the answer is right there in the files) is vastly reduced.. especially when off-topic.

If you want to duplicate what your friend is doing, you need to investigate a program called GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife - www.gsak.net) along with an associated macro that is called, if I recall correctly, SPOILER2POI.

Edited by ecanderson

Has anyone noticed an issue with the 'enter next stage' feature? When I enter the next stage coordinates, the unit still navigates to the published location. :unsure:

I've managed to sort this one. The next stage feature uses one of your 5000 caches. If you've already got 5000 caches it won't work :rolleyes:

Would have been nice to have an error message rather than let you figure it out.

Edited by Andy K!

I've managed to sort this one. The next stage feature uses one of your 5000 caches. If you've already got 5000 caches it won't work :rolleyes:

Would have been nice to have an error message rather than let you figure it out.

I believe it is documented that the "next stage" feature does require one open Geocache "slot" be available for it to work properly. I remember reading that when the feature was introduced.

This is for ecanderson.

I just got off the phone with my Mag GC buddy that gets pics and attributes from PQ's. He uses the example of the querie of his home location. 25 mile radius, 345 total wp's (that's both cache and parking)- file size is 327 kilobytes (not meg). He either uses Mag Vantagepoint or simply does a drag and drop into the gpx folder on the GC, as I do with my 550. No other manipulation or augment. He gets the gc pics (not pics uploaded by cachers) and the attributes as a tab on the cache page on the GC. I've seen them. He is very computer savvy and has about 8000 caches so I am happy to take him at his word. Now, in spite of your slight snippyness the other day( ;) hope you're feeling better), I understand your skepticism. I don't get it either. He thinks there may be a compression or file type change to allow the pics to be carried in the file. There is an unanswered question here. A 150 dollar gps gets pics and att's and a $500 gps does not. Not right. Any ideas?

Standing by for further.

Ps - my buddy has the flu now too. I got the shot today.

Edited by arcs

This is for ecanderson.

I just got off the phone with my Mag GC buddy that gets pics and attributes from PQ's. He uses the example of the querie of his home location. 25 mile radius, 345 total wp's (that's both cache and parking)- file size is 327 kilobytes (not meg). He either uses Mag Vantagepoint or simply does a drag and drop into the gpx folder on the GC, as I do with my 550. No other manipulation or augment. He gets the gc pics (not pics uploaded by cachers) and the attributes as a tab on the cache page on the GC. I've seen them. He is very computer savvy and has about 8000 caches so I am happy to take him at his word. Now, in spite of your slight snippyness the other day( ;) hope you're feeling better), I understand your skepticism. I don't get it either. He thinks there may be a compression or file type change to allow the pics to be carried in the file. There is an unanswered question here. A 150 dollar gps gets pics and att's and a $500 gps does not. Not right. Any ideas?

Yeah, your friend is wrong. GPX files do not carry pictures. Period.

Yeah, your friend is wrong. GPX files do not carry pictures. Period.

Well, that's not an answer. I've given you the file size, the equipment, the process - how is he getting pics from a 327 kb file? Don't tell me (again) he's not - he is. Dig a little deeper and see if you can find out what's happening here. Jeez, Sheldon.

Any Mag GC users here that can weigh in on this?

Well, that's not an answer. I've given you the file size, the equipment, the process - how is he getting pics from a 327 kb file? Don't tell me (again) he's not - he is. Dig a little deeper and see if you can find out what's happening here. Jeez, Sheldon.

Of course it's an answer, it's the right answer. There's no pictures in there, so he can't get them out of it. He gets them from somewhere else, and he should be able to tell you from where. Most likely it's some software on his PC that processes the HTML in the cache descriptions, downloads the pictures, maybe rewrites the HTML and then stores all that on the GPS. Maybe Vantagepoint does that. But I can only guess. In any case, most single pictures are already at least 50-100 kb large, so do the math how many that file would be able to hold if it could hold pictures at all.

Edited by dfx

Hngnnn.

I'm aware of the math. Believe me, I don't get it either. But there is NO OTHER PROCESS. He gets the tiny PQ file from the PQ page and drags it onto the GPX folder on the GC. Somehow, someway this thing is clever and this tiny little cheap GPS is smoking me and it's annoying.

NEXT!

Hngnnn.

I'm aware of the math. Believe me, I don't get it either. But there is NO OTHER PROCESS. He gets the tiny PQ file from the PQ page and drags it onto the GPX folder on the GC. Somehow, someway this thing is clever and this tiny little cheap GPS is smoking me and it's annoying.

NEXT!

Ok... first of all, if you want to smoke your friend, stand in one spot, hold out your Oregon and turn around 360 degrees. Show him how the map rotates without waving your arm around, politely smile, and say "3-axis electronic compass."

Now... on to the Magellan. My wife's sister has a GC and my wife has a Explorist 610. I use an Oregon 450. DFX is right - GPX files do not contain images. If they did, they'd have to be encoded as an MIME or another ASCII subset (as XML files can't use a full 8-bit character set) and would be quite a bit bigger than their binary counterpart.

Both the GC and 610 store images on the unit. The 610 stores them in "\media\images\geocaches". Using GSAK, the first time a set of caches are transferred to the unit, the associated images are fetched from the internet. The images are stored in the GSAK's database and the XML in the GPX is tweaked to point at the pictures which will be downloaded into the "\media\images\geocaches" directory. Vantage Point does the same thing...but instead of a few minutes, it takes hours. Once GSAK or Vantage Point grab the images, they do not need to fetched from the Internet. Once the images have been x-fered to the Explorist, they do not need to be downloaded again.

As far as transferring PQs directly to the unit - well, they don't have the tweaked XML to point to the "images" directory. At this point, one of two things MUST be happening: 1) the Explorist is smart enough to recognize cache namess from the new file - and realizes that it already has images for them... or 2) Dragging/dropping a new GPX doesn't always cause the unit to refresh - in which case the old GPX is still in the units database and is being used.

As a test... use Windows, browse to the GC's "images" directory (not 100% sure if that's the place on the GC... but it should be easy to find as it has many JPGs in it) and delete all the images. Then, create a pocket querty for a region you've never visited. Then, drag-drop that GPX directly into the unit - without using Vantage Point or GSAK. You'll see the caches there - but without any images.

Regards,

- Steve

Edited by Wampus-N-Pickle

Now we're getting somewhere.

Yup, we're getting pretty much to exactly where we were when I said "It's entirely possible that this application is pulling down additional information from gc.com in the way of images before loading the works to his unit."

If you want to duplicate that kind of functionality, you do as has been suggested several times in this thread when people have recommended GSAK and its associated macro to you. It's your best tool for an Oregon to match whatever it is your friend's Magellan unit is using for application software.

We assumed when you came here that you wanted your unit to function in a way similar to your friend's. We've been TRYING to point you in the right direction. Stay with us here...

Game, set and match to you. My buddy drilled down and found the folder for the pics in the GC. He said the Vantagepoint process was so quick and unobtrusive he didn't realise it was storing the images. Hmph, there ya go.

Thank you, Steve, for the answer. The whole answer. :D

Now I can go back to ignoring GSAK. ;) I'm a drag and drop sorta guy.

PS- yeah - I already got him a couple times on the compass thing but then he wave his arm and goes "150 bucks". :lol:

I still love the 550 tho.

Edited by arcs