ANNOUNCING THE 1ST ANNUAL TRAVELBUG CANNONBALL RUN!

Brogan

quote:
Originally posted by bitbrain:

Oh no! A Humvee has moved ahead of my 4x4! icon_eek.gif

Don't be too worried, the Humvee needs to backtrack to NV, he visited the state but did not get logged in a cache. icon_frown.gif

Hopefully he can get a trip back to NV then a quick turnaround for the final stretch!

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

We don't have a racer ourselves, but we moved several Cannonball racers in Ohio - it's fun watching their movements across the country (and sad to see the ones that go missing). I know the race had its ups and downs, but I enjoyed it icon_smile.gif I'm wondering if maybe the next one could be a "no intentional interference allowed" race (despite the spirit of the original cannonball run), as there is enough unintended interference due to racing mistakes and lost bugs, and because the intentional interferers seem to have been the source of the most anxiety in this race. Just a thought.

quote:
Originally posted by junglehair:

I am so happy! My http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=18725 travelbug that has been MIA for almost 4 months now just turned up in a cache in NC!

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

That's great Junglehair, now if only my Give Peace A Chance Bug would reappear! It looks like this: 1481_300.jpg if anyone sees it can you please, please move it along.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

quote:
Originally posted by junglehair:

Looks like we have a third-place winner. Congrats to Team Geo-Remdation HUMVEE! Unofficially of course, but I see that he was placed in the Pheromone cache over the weekend.

-Junglehair

Thank you! As far as I can verify from PA, we have made it! I would like to thank all the dedicated cachers that made this possible. All I did was get the HUMVEE ready for the race then sit back and worry about his progress and successes. Thanks again!

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Touralis moves backwards yet again!

He's moving one state about every 2 months.

My Racer lost his vision and wondered in the wilderness for what seamed like 40 years. Thankfully, it's been collected and may be back on the road soon... I just hope it's a paved road. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

''All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.''

--Lily Tomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

That's great Junglehair, now if only my Give Peace a Chance would reappear!

Cache you later,

Planet

Looks like good things come to those who wait. I see that someone found your Give Peace A Chance in a cache this week.

-Junglehair

Hey Planet, that's great news!! I hope my Screamin' Gogomobile shows up somewhere. He was picked up by someone June 13 who either never placed him or lost him. I've emailed the person twice, but alas, no response. icon_frown.gif

You have given me hope again! icon_razz.gif Yay!!

dwgogo

candy.johnson1.jpg

[This message was edited by dwgogo on September 13, 2003 at 09:33 AM.]

I just got a notice that my racer was moved... YEAH!!

Now it has moved 500 miles...and has NOT left the Great State of New York!!!! How many others haven't made it out of the state????

He prayeth best, who loveth best All things both great and small; For the dear God who loveth us, He made and loveth all.

S. T. Coleridge

team laughing gravy would like to respond to team geo-remdation's 'bump'! just where does the Cantering Velociraptor need to return to officially continue the race? It was logged into a cache in Alabama - so somplace in Mississippi?

and I wonder if the 4x4 Lightning knows that it's in a moving cache - an that cache's current goal is to go back to Utah (East).

and what ever happened to Herbie?

Congratulations to the first 3 finishers of the first Travel Bug Cannonball! Luck and determination were with you all!

It is great fun watching the progress of this race! Thanks to all those involved with providing statistics of race progress!

B

quote:
Originally posted by LaughingGravy:

team laughing gravy would like to respond to team geo-remdation's 'bump'! just where does the Cantering Velociraptor need to return to officially continue the race? It was logged into a cache in Alabama - so somplace in Mississippi?

and I wonder if the 4x4 Lightning knows that it's in a moving cache - an that cache's current goal is to go back to Utah (East).

and what ever happened to Herbie?

Congratulations to the first 3 finishers of the first Travel Bug Cannonball! Luck and determination were with you all!

It is great fun watching the progress of this race! Thanks to all those involved with providing statistics of race progress!

B

I start out this response with a disclaimer that in no way am I a judge in this contets. This is my personal view.

By looking at the log the Raptor went from NY to PA to OH- all good moves. Then he jumped to AL and GA, SC, Ca. To me it looks like he needs to go back to a neighboring state to OH- IN or KY being the best bets for movig to CA. Oh well, I am glad my HumVee's detours where very minor compared to this Raptors!

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

At least give us a chance to finish the first one!

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness

I don't know Team G, from the looks of the map on the Cannonball website, I'm not sure that's going to happen in my lifetime icon_wink.gif Pretty cool concept. My hats off to the organizers!

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Touchstone:

Rather than spending all night going through all 16 pages of this post; is there a plan for a 2nd Annual Cannonball?

In a word, yes. We are planning the next Cannonball Run to begin about the same time as this year's. (Perhaps a little later as the season may be a bit more active.) We are also looking for ways to improve both the website tracking and the race itself.

Unofficially, if you would like to make any suggestions, feel free to send them to me at dekaner@kkf2a.com and we'll take them into consideration.

Thanks all who have participated in the race and the discussion here!!

- Dekaner, KKF2A Operative

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner:

We are planning the next Cannonball Run to begin about the same time as this year's. (Perhaps a little later as the season may be a bit more active.)

Start it later...please! It took several bugs months to move out of New York. I'd recommend waiting until at least May to begin the race.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner:

In a word, yes. We are planning the next Cannonball Run to begin about the same time as this year's. (Perhaps a little later as the season may be a bit more active.) We are also looking for ways to improve both the website tracking and the race itself.

Thanks Dekaner. I'll look forward to an announcement for the next start. I'll have to start thinking of the type of TB I'd like to enter. Are you going to limit the number of bugs an individual can enter?

TIA

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

Here's an email I just received (a few days ago). I've given him my go ahead but also dirrected him to the N.Y. Team that's been doing all the work (and needs to give their authorization as well). It reads as follows:

quote:

Date: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:55:18 PM US/Pacific

To: <Green_Achers@HotPOP.com>

Subject: [GEO] Baja Jack contacting you from Geocaching.com

--This message was sent through the Geocaching.com web site--

Greetings,

Your race looks like it was a great event! I am currently finishing a geocaching book with the guys at Geocaching.com.

Can I have your permission to feature the race and your web site for the book? I would like to show your logo and the image of the US map.

Thanks, Jack

Jack W. Peters

Toll free 866 405-5GPS (477)

GPS Navigator Magazine.com

http://www.gpsnavigatormagazine.com

------------------------------------------------------------

Forward abuse complaints to: contact@geocaching.com

Bill of Green Achers

''I want to know how God created this world.  I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element.  I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details." -- Albert Einstein

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

Here's an email I just received (a few days ago). I've given him my go ahead but also dirrected him to the N.Y. Team that's been doing all the work (and needs to give their authorization as well). It reads as follows:

quote:

Date: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:55:18 PM US/Pacific

To: <Green_Achers@HotPOP.com>

Subject: [GEO] Baja Jack contacting you from Geocaching.com

--This message was sent through the Geocaching.com web site--

Greetings,

Your race looks like it was a great event! I am currently finishing a geocaching book with the guys at Geocaching.com.

Can I have your permission to feature the race and your web site for the book? I would like to show your logo and the image of the US map.

Thanks, Jack

Jack W. Peters

Toll free 866 405-5GPS (477)

GPS Navigator Magazine.com

http://www.gpsnavigatormagazine.com

Hey, cool! I helped Tilly and Toby win. I have some really cool pictures that I haven't been able to post. I should try to get them to him somehow.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen