ANNOUNCING THE 1ST ANNUAL TRAVELBUG CANNONBALL RUN!

Brogan

:( I was just sitting here thinking about the table covered with Travel Bugs at the gathering in Varysburg before the great release. You know what guys, you're going to need a couple more tables for the next run judging by the size of this thread. Any ideas yet for when and where the release will be and will it be accompanied by a gathering again? I think the Dustoff crew is dormant for awhile, if the race started soon they might not be able to spice it up this time round. Clearly a great shame.
Interference is something that was encouraged in the Cannonball Run. How much interference did the TBs actually get during the race?

My bug was interfered with plenty, but I can't prove any of it. Strikeforce1 threw him in jail for a week, but moved him in the right direction when he was done, so I'm not complaining. I actually ASKED Strikeforce1 to arrest my bug. That was the only way to rescue it from going in the wrong direction.

I noticed that Oscar's Express just moved after being held for almost nine months.  Talk a about a pace setting rabbit burning out !!

:lol: If you check the cache log the last cacher to have Oscar indicated he had some back surgery. I have been in contact with him most of the time and glad Robert is again out hunting caches :D . Oscar is on his own now and hopes to make it to the finish. None the less, Oscar II is waiting in the wings for the next race! :(

Wow, it's been a long time since I checked this thread - didn't know people were still posting to it.

Welch - you're right. The map has not been updated in a long time. I've only been updating it about once/month lately, but I guess it's overdue. I'll work on having an updated map posted this weekend.

Team GeoDillo - as for the "trophies", we plan to announce the award winners at the kick off of the second annual Cannonball Run race (details coming soon). One of the awards is for the Last Place Winner - "The last racer to make it to the desitnation cache before the start of next year's race!" So the remaining travelbugs still have a chance at an award. Hey, maybe Oscar's Express will win yet!

Welch - you're right. The map has not been updated in a long time. I've only been updating it about once/month lately, but I guess it's overdue. I'll work on having an updated map posted this weekend.

I understand why... I had mostly stopped looking at, but I was looking over the area to see what TB I might move around this weekend and one turned out to be a racer. It was *sorta* surprizing. I knew they're were a couple around the Quad Cities, but this one just 'showed up', so I went to check the map and see if the others had moved and noticed the map was month+ out of date.

I've only been updating it about once/month lately, but I guess it's overdue.  I'll work on having an updated map posted this weekend...

...One of the awards is for the Last Place Winner - "The last racer to make it to the desitnation cache before the start of next year's race!"  So the remaining travelbugs still have a chance at an award.  Hey, maybe Oscar's Express will win yet!

My hat off to junglehair for manually uploading race information for almost a year. I'm not sure why no programers ever stepped up to the plate though. It should have been a computer doing this routine rather than a highly devoted cacher.

Thank you junglehair. You've been doing a great job. :rolleyes:

Programmers? Think you can do better? :unsure:

As far as the finnish - I wouldn't be surprised to see several bugs all show up at the same time. There's many within striking distance and we all remember the first racers across the line. Two tortus' running... er, walking.... er, somewhat moving ever so slowly across the finnish line. Holding hands if I understand the the story correctly. The photo finnish never happened because the camera didn't detect any movement. <_< It was kind of exciting like watching paint dry or grass grow. You always miss seeing it happen, but you know when it has happened. <_<

Edited by Green Achers
Programmers? Think you can do better?

Yes. Think you're willing to pay me for the time or do you want me to build something just for you for free? :rolleyes:

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, there are a few problems.

1) I'm not sure I could do it in a fashion acceptable to the TOS of the site. It smells of data mining for non-personal use.

2) With the constant modifications to the site, I would have to spend time modifying the software.

3) It would probably be less man hours to do it manually for a single race than to write and update the software.

If you want an EASY way to do it, wait to Jeremy adds the ability to do a PQ search on watched travel bugs, and throw all the bugs in the race under a PQ. Or convince Jeremy to let someone else write the code. Since a number of people already want PQs to contain information about the bugs in a cache, once that's done and once doing a PQ on the cache in your watch list is done, being able to PQ specific bugs shouldn't be much of an issue at all.

2007 sound good to you?

Edited by bons
Yes. Think you're willing to pay me for the time or do you want me to build something just for you for free?

Oh, ya. Hit the farmer up for an open account. That's too funny. :D;) I'll take it out of the profits or better yet, I can make you a partner. :D

Thanks for looking into things. I'd be even more hungry as a professional programmer. :D

Yes. Think you're willing to pay me for the time or do you want me to build something just for you for free?

Build it for free. All of the organizer's and programmers time has been donated.

1) I'm not sure I could do it in a fashion acceptable to the TOS of the site. It smells of data mining for non-personal use.

Actually, Groundspeak was gracious enough to not block the IP we were using to "scrape" the data for last years race. They have also commited to helping find a way to provide the data for this year's race as well.

2) With the constant modifications to the site, I would have to spend time modifying the software.

Thanks Egnix for writing the utility that did this last year.

3) It would probably be less man hours to do it manually for a single race than to write and update the software.

NYGO is joining up with Geommunity to help write the software in an effort to reuse the software in future races. More information on Geommunity will be available at http://www.geommunity.net in a few days when we release the next version of the website. If you are a developer, please contact either myself or Trippy1976 for more details on how to become a member.

This Race is OFFICIALLY over! Winner in all catagories will be announced soon and all prizes awards before the release of the 2nd Annual CannonBall Run!!!!

Thanks to all those who entered last year and helped to make this the incredible race that it turned out to be!

With your help we hope that the 2nd Annual CannonBall Run TB Race will be even better !

Be sure to check out the new thread in the TB Forum.

This Race is OFFICIALLY over! Winner in all catagories will be announced soon and all prizes awards before the release of the 2nd Annual CannonBall Run!!!!

Ok, but what happens with the unfinished racers? I assume the map& stats will either dissappear or just stop updating, right?

Ok, but what happens with the unfinished racers? I assume the map& stats will either dissappear or just stop updating, right?

I'm actually trying to keep the stats rolling for those bugs, mostly for curiosity. If I can get the site more automated, then we should be able to use the same code to track old races.

I agree. It would be interesting the see things out (but only if automated).

<_< If anyone's interested in directing their late racers to the finnish line, I will ship them to the New York starting line for the 2nd Annual. The racers must be in PHEROMONE cache by 3/14/04 and they will be shipped over night on 3/15/04 morning.

:D Also, I have the old return addressed envelopes from those that supplied them last year. I'll hold them until other arraingments have been made or your Racer arrives.

Edited by Green Achers
Note: Corrected my last posting to state I will hold return envelopes until your racer arrives or other arraingments are made.:lol:

Interesting to learn the racers must have a new tag. I guess that will make the milage issue simple. Thanks for pointing that out.

Just hold on to my return envelope until the Scooby Van arrives sometime in 2005. :lol: I hope there is no postal rate increase until then. :lol:

Just for kicks and giggles I released another TB in May with a cross country goal. It got as far as TX before getting sidetracked.

My Give Peace a Chance was 98 miles away when the race was declared over. It made it to the pheromone cache and I now have it back in my possession. Too much was going on to get another bug going for the next race, but if these keep getting planned I'll join the next one, maybe with the same bug. Thanks to all the cachers that moved it, especially Webling, who drove it state by state halfway across the country with Ttepee's Cannonball Runner Vince TB.

My Give Peace a Chance was 98 miles away when the race was declared over.

When was the race declared over?

There's a whole lotta bugs that haven't gotten to the finish line yet!

Feb. 15 (Scroll up)

Cannoballrun:

This Race is OFFICIALLY over! Winner in all catagories will be announced ...

Well it looks like my entry isn't going to make it to finish line...

It was in a cache that got muggled (well techinally it was two months ago abut its not now all been confirmed).

It made a distance of 1,362 miles to Lawton, Oklahoma. Where it sat in a cache for a few weeks, which got found trashed and missing most of everything. Then about a month after that, the rest of the cache that left went missing.