ANNOUNCING THE 1ST ANNUAL TRAVELBUG CANNONBALL RUN!

Brogan

Thank you to everyone who helped Tilly the Tortoise and Toby Tortoise win - unofficially as yet - the Cannonball Run. (See Geodillo's post above for the complete list of great helpers.) Additionally, thanks to Team Mixster who couldn't touch them, but willed them on. Especially happy that a CVC travel bug was the first one back home - bringing her new friend Toby (from Texas) with her. icon_biggrin.gif And thanks to Xine who drove Tioga Pass at night icon_eek.gif to bring them in.

Team GUI

quote:
Originally posted by ict X ckr:

Ok, TOMAHAWK can move now!

I actually tried to pick up TOMAHAWK while I was in the Adirondacks this past weekend. I was going to give him a ride to Buffalo, NY this weekend. Unfortunately, the owner of the cache he was in beat me to it. His log mentioned that he was going to move Tomahawk down to the New York City area.

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Here is a sad statistic:

4 months from the start of the race, the first two travelbugs have completed the race, and 17 of the bugs are further from the finish line than they were when they started the race (including my own):

#3 - 2003 Cannonball X-men Camaro

#8 - Cannonball Mrs Toad

#15 - Captain America

#16 - Car #2112

#24 - Gimpys Viper

#34 - Lil' Chuck

#36 - Little Red Wagon

#39 - MIG 21 Fighter Jet

#43 - OuttaHand Racer

#47 - Puerco Rico (never moved)

#53 - SDSU Miss Piggy

#61 - The VW Express

#64 - Tomahawk

#65 - Tony Stewart 20 Cannonball GeoRacer

#68 - WheresGeorge Bug

#72 - Dekaner's Eye in the Sky

#73 - J-Ra's 'Cuse Car

-Junglehair

icon_cool.gifNow that was FUNNNNNN! Xine is just a nut for driving all that way to help them win. I was honored to participate. Thanks for all of the kind comments. Twernt nuthin. I was headed that way anyway. It was dumb luck that I met Nurseshark in Austin that started the two tortoises toward their win.

Xine got to see the pictures that I took. They are a riot. Some may be PG13. Suffice it to say that Tilly's infidelity has been blamed on Jeremy's TB, Deadly Duck: Lust. frog.gif The story may not be over. Unfortunatly the computer that I have access to on this leg of my trip will not read my sony mini-disks. It may be weeks before they get posted.

I wish that I had known that the final cache belonged to Green Archers. I have the Hand Shake travel bug and it wants to meet them, but I may be bye there to check out the finish line anyway.

Kiabab-Karl will be entered in the next race. He's getting fitted for a tux. He isn't finished trying to win Tilly back. Even Xine agreed that Karl is twice the tortoise that Toby is. I hear Toby is asking for DNA tests on his children now.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

quote:
Originally posted by Team GUI:

There was some thought about "ladies first" into the box, but Toby thought chivalry can be taken too far! icon_razz.gif

Toby deserved the tie after all Tilly put him through. It was all that ducky from heck's fault anyway. icon_razz.gif

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

[This message was edited by Snoogans on July 08, 2003 at 06:31 PM.]

Next year's race will start a little later as there wasn't a lot of Geocaching going on in March. (The initial racer movement was a little slow.)

We've got some new things in the works though, so expect to have your bug ready early in 2004. Updated rules will be posted far in advance of the submission date.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Sorry about the failure of the stats this last week. Everything was working fine before I left for vacation then geocaching.com started blocking my computer so updates were no longer possible.

Thanks to Elias, I'm unblocked now. I need to make some changes so the tracking program is more polite to the gc server (we didn't have a problem when the site was slower ;)) and we'll be back running again soon.

quote:
Originally posted by The NTKRWLR:

Likewise, I am driving from Chicago to Watkins Glen, NY (and back) next weekend.. I can try to grab a few riders for the drive back if they're easy to grab. Let me know if I can help! icon_cool.gif

Are you going for the Finger Lakes Wine Festival? I was thinking of going to that. If that's not why you were planning to head to Watkins Glen - be forwarned that there will be LOTS of people there.

-Junglehair

Originally posted by junglehair:

Are you going for the Finger Lakes Wine Festival/? I was thinking of going to that. If that's not why you were planning to head to Watkins Glen - be forwarned that there will be LOTS of people there.

QUOTE]

Indeed I am. This will be the third year in a row for us. We've always had a great time there. How can you beat 2 days of wine drinking combined with pace car rides around the track? It's a odd gathering of wine drinkers and NASCAR fans! icon_confused.gif Let me know if you'll be there and we can meet up.

Due to the extremely unexpected tie finish, the first place awards will be delayed while waiting for a second trophy to be made.

It has been decided that all awards will be declared as soon as the third contestant crosses the finish line, after that I will be handing the CannonBall Run over to NYGO to officiate as they see fit, leaving me free to compete in and WIN next years event!

OK, I'm a little rusty on the rules, so let me ask. The Dustoff gang grabbed my bug April 12th, and finally placed it into a cache July 13th., however, they moved it from NY state to Alabama!

Does my bug need to return to NY, or does it have to go to a state that borders NY?

I know I'm not going to win, but I'd like for my bug to go through the motions anyway.

And I saw that Brogan is getting ready to pass the 'Run over to another group to run; Are the stats going to continue? Will we know who the last place finishers are...

Later,

Brian

Check out www.warrenmurphy.com for new releases and "The Assassin's Handbook". It's back after 20 years!!

The rules state that your bug would need to return to NY before continuing on it's journey.

For the record, Dustoff21 did the same with Xeneru the Cantering Velociraptor which he had picked up in Ohio on April 12.

I think if it were my bug, and since there is no chance of winning at this point anyway, I would just have it continue on from there.

I know that we discussed this guy to death already in here, but I really thought that his latest stunt hit a new low. He held onto these bugs for three months, then just two days after the Toby and Tilly reached the finish line, he places them -- about 1000 miles off course. icon_mad.gif

As for Brogan passing the torch on the Cannonball Run, you needn't worry about things changing too much. There will likely be some alterations to the rules and other fine tuning of the game, but in general, many of the same people will be involved. I can hardly imagine how many bugs we will have entered in next year's race.

-Junglehair

What she said! NYGO has already been heavily involved as Brogan, Junglehair and myself are a few of our leaders. The only person not already affiliated with NYGO is Egnix, and we're going to try and adopt him! icon_wink.gif

The rules will be tweaked and lots of improvements will be made on the back end. Plus we're going to have some new ideas and features that I'm not letting out of the bag just yet.

We are also already in talks with GC.com on a better way to get the stats to try and avoid some of the problems we had this year. So...

Stayed tuned race fans!!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

I love New York, TOMAHAWK made it to Long Island and may be on the way to New Jersey (ya mind givin' it a wash? that salt is hard on the billet)- Meeting lots of great cachers - thanks guys it is great to see it moving around. OK the plan now is to make it to make it to PHEROMONE in time to be mailed back to the right side of the map in time for next years race.

Don't step in that!!!!!

Why must you cry like a SALLY!!! well the (DUSTOFF Gang) is getting ready to go over seas to serve our country maybe we should collect your TB and have them travel with us how dose that sound Beach Boy

quote:
Originally posted by Pocket PC Guy / team GeoMurph:

OK, I'm a little rusty on the rules, so let me ask. The Dustoff gang grabbed my bug April 12th, and finally placed it into a cache July 13th., however, they moved it from NY state to Alabama!

Does my bug need to return to NY, or does it have to go to a state that borders NY?

I know I'm not going to win, but I'd like for my bug to go through the motions anyway.

And I saw that Brogan is getting ready to pass the 'Run over to another group to run; Are the stats going to continue? Will we know who the last place finishers are...

Later,

Brian

Check out http://www.warrenmurphy.com for new releases and "The Assassin's Handbook". It's back after 20 years!!

"MY BUG GOT STOLLEN icon_frown.gif" Pocket PC Guy

All bugs will be released at one gathering any late arrivals will be released as soon as possible in one of my own caches.

Bugs are allowed to travel only one state at a time (states must share a common border )

Bugs must be physically placed in a cache in each state visited.

Everything else is fair! You can ask local cachers to help you out by moving your bug along, or by delaying someone elses! In the spirit of the original race, interference is suggested!

quote:
Originally posted by Dustoff_YaYa:

Why must you cry like a SALLY!!! well the (DUSTOFF Gang) is getting ready to go over seas to serve our country maybe we should collect your TB and have them travel with us how dose that sound Beach Boy

quote:
Originally posted by Pocket PC Guy / team GeoMurph:

Later,

Brian

Check out http://www.warrenmurphy.com for new releases and "The Assassin's Handbook". It's back after 20 years!!

quote:
Great pic of the TBug at the track Junglehair. Except he's heading the wrong way!

Hey, that's pretty much been his way through the whole race so far, why should the track be any different?

I realized my mistake after I posted the pic, but thanks for pointing it out to everyone else! icon_cool.gif

-Junglehair

The Cannonball Race was won. Congrats to the winners! And sorry to say Web-ling, but my Cannonballer is missing, if anyone sees "Give Peace a Chance" could you please send it on it's way. I've e-mailed the last known cacher to no avail. It was last seen in this cache

Thanks! I don't mind coming in last, or not even qualifying, but I'd at least like to finish the race. icon_confused.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

You know what makes me happy? Even though my bug went missing (aurgh!) I was so happy to see that one of the winners (Toby) was owned by a cacher from Texas that has actually been to one of my caches in Connecticut. I had to temporarily disable it today after a maintenance check, and the log book was still intact and there was the Team GeoDillo Stamp. It is a small world. Anyone seen my Travel Bug? Give Peace a Chance?

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

Sorry stats updates have been sporadic lately and if my site has been unavailable at times.

I'd doing some hardware upgrades/changes/etc.

When I'm done, stats updates will be better than ever and your bug will have a better chance of getting to the finish line next!

a couple of ideas for next years race. You could work it as anyone who finishes this years one has just6 completed LEG one and so MUST compete in LEG 2 next year.

Also start the race in either alaska or hawaii and race to miami frog.gif that would be a lot harder and you probably woudnt get a winner until october ish instead of someone winning half way through the year

I fear that my racing pika bug is also likely missing. And so close to the finish too! I haven't totally given up hope, but the people who have it won't answer my email. Bad sign!

On an upside, I picked up a TB owned by Junglehair today! I made a special trip just to get it! And Junglehair, I have a pic of me at Cliff Palace in just about the same spot!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

On an upside, I picked up a TB owned by Junglehair today! I made a special trip just to get it! And Junglehair, I have a pic of me at Cliff Palace in just about the same spot!

Thanks for picking up Mooky! I saw that you had logged him and thought "I knew her from the forums". I laughed when I read your log that said you picked it up since you knew me from the forums. I'm looking forward to seeing where he travels to next.

-Junglehair