ANNOUNCING THE 1ST ANNUAL TRAVELBUG CANNONBALL RUN!

Brogan

I had thought of doing something like that when my bug was lost in New York. It would only be a matter of time before rival racers made it to New Mexico. Now my bug is on its way to Ohio, so I'm glad I didn't have the opportunity to interfere. I'd recommend you stick it out, when those bugs are ready to move, they will. Your bug might even catch up.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

Team GPSax:

Actually my bug is doing pretty good so far (in the top ten). But what's the fun in watching a stalled bug for a *month*! I'm not so worried about winning, but I feel bad that these two are stuck in *my* cache! icon_wink.gif Oh well, there's an event coming up, maybe I can convince someone to come down and grab them... Thanks,

Mike

I feel the same as Mixster - hate to just sit by and watch the race. I have already disqualified myself by moving some of the other bugs. Speaking of which, I am considering making a trip to help some of the other bug get out of New York State. If the weather doesn't work against me (and it's not looking good right now), I am hoping to head out to the Syracuse area this weekend to pick up some of the travelbugs that have stagnated out there.

Unfortunately, the ones up in Northern NY are a bit too far for me to go get, but perhaps there is someone there that could pick them up and bring them to Syracuse - any takers???

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Well, the rain didn't stop us. BarbershopDru and I made the trip out to Syracuse today anyway. Through pouring rain, we logged 4 caches and found 3 of the four cannonball run travelbugs we set out to get. Unfortunately, someone had gotten to the VW Express the day before, so we missed that one. We did pick up Hacksaw's Cannonball SWAT, Pour Me A Cold Bud, and SoulCatcher though. Dru will be taking them back to the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area with her.

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

After getting lost in New York for 2 months, Touralis is finally making good progress. He visited a couple of caches in PA and has now been placed in Ohio! I'm hoping for a straight line to New Mexico so I can move him to Arizona and catch up with Oscar's Express (I know, wishful thinking). The finish line is way too far for me to drive, but I could get him as far as San Diego depending on the timing.

Go Touralis!

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

Stats are back! icon_biggrin.gif

Regular (every 4 hours) updates are now back in motion! Hopefully there won't be any more problems.

The official site will be updated every 4 hours and my links page (with stats and map) is back online too (actually, it may not be online right now, but it will be soon).

Sorry for such a long delay.

[This message was edited by Egnix on June 03, 2003 at 06:02 PM.]

Looks like I'll be driving to and from Cincinnati over the weekend and early next week. If anyone can get any of the racers in caches in close proximity to my route, I'll take them to Texas with me.

Cinci - I-71 to Louisville;

I-65 to Nashville;

I-40 to Little Rock;

I-30 to Fort Worth

Email me if you have a bug along my route.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

Toby and Tilly want to come back to Texas with you Web-ling! It would be nice for Toby to be back in Texas to visit his home state with his new girlfriend.

Also, while no one was looking, Toby and Tilly Tortoise made some babies but had to leave them behind in order to start the race on time. The kids, Timmy and Tammy http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=29040 are late entrants to the Cannonball Run TB Race and are trying to catch up to their parents. They are currently still in New York but are headed to Pennsylvania this week (hopefully)! If they show up in a cache near you, please help them on their way.

Thanks!

Scott of Team GeoDillo

Rule Question:

Does each racer have to be logged into a California geocache before it can cross the finish line (Pheromone) or can a racer go from, say Arizona or Nevada, straight to the Pheromone cache? I'm assuming that each racer can go straight to the Pheromone cache from any adjacent state cache, but I just want to know before there's any question about it.

BTW...what ever happened to Oscar's Express?

quote:
I think Oscar's Express was like the runner that plays the role of "rabbit" in a race -- he couldn't maintain the fast pace and emptied his gas tank. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team GeoDillo:

BTW...what ever happened to Oscar's Express?

No need to worry about Oscar. icon_rolleyes.gif He's not "in Iraq" or in the "Geomancer cache" either. icon_biggrin.gif Just save yourselves from the friends of those 17 CA bugs and that blockade on the fault line. icon_eek.gif

'96 Olympic-Volunteer & Siggy

Hey All!

Remember when this was going to be a fun thing to be involved in? My 'Bug's been in the hands of the Dustoff clowns for so long, I've forgotten to check back in here. Glad to see that some are moving and having fun.

What's the record for being held by Jackof..Um-..Er, I mean Dustoff?

He grabbed my WheresGeorge Bug March 29th.

"Saturday, March 29, 2003

Dustoff21 retrieved it from Niagara Buffalo International Travel Bug Hotel by -=(GEO)=-:

Sorry, running a little interference here."

Yeah, I'm having a blast in this race.

Later,

Brian

Check out www.warrenmurphy.com for new releases and "The Assassin's Handbook". It's back after 20 years!!

quote:
"Saturday, March 29, 2003

Dustoff21 retrieved it from Niagara Buffalo International Travel Bug Hotel by -=(GEO)=-:

Sorry, running a little interference here."

And they wonder why they have no friends here.

Listen, what we do is this. Put all their bugs on your watch list.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/find.asp?A=63175

Then, as a group we snatch them and hold them for a total of 6 months. I think that's the total time round abouts that they've held racer bugs.

Just to frustrate things more, we can pass them back and forth from NY to MI as 'grabs' so it'll change hands, but not gain mileage.

That sounds like fun!!

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

All of this complaining...

My bug moved through one cache successfully, then it was scooped up and placed in Florida. That was April 1st. It hasn't moved since. April fools indeed!

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching others come and go. They are travel bugs. These things happen.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

A very good point was made to me. There is a difference between my bug getting waylaid and others having their bug intentionally held against it's will.

Having a bug disappear is part of the game. Having it held intentionally can be amusing for a short period of time, but can easily become malicious.

Thanks comrade for pointing that out to me.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

These Cannonball racers are on the Web-ling Express for Texas - with stops in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas.

Speed & Cache

The Pride of Brock Yates

Tilly Tortoise

Toby Tortoise

Team Geo-Remdation Humvee

Cannonball Mr. Toads Willy

http://www.web-ling.com http://www.ntxga.org

Thanks!

I am thankful that some how I made it on this train. Whoo Hoo!

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Remember Touralis, Junglehair?

He also disappeared from a cache, but you found him and helped him on his journey. Maybe your good Karma will help your bug reappear.

Thanks Sax, I am still hopefull that he will reappear. Hey, maybe they are taking him on a cross country journey and haven't made it home yet to log their caches! If you are going to dream - dream big!

-Junglehair

Originally posted by ict X ckr:

I can't tell which is worse having them disapear or having them stuck somewhere...

QUOTE]

Having had my bug stuck somewhere twice, I'd have to say that's the worst. icon_frown.gif

I think the Magic School bus has been in a total of two caches, maybe three since the race started and has just been vegetating in the last one for a month or so. It was in another one for over a month as well.

Very frustrating. icon_frown.gif

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

All things considered, I'd have to say that this TB race has been a rather interesting experience so far. Of course my little 4x4 Lightning hasn't made it very far, but it's actually doing better than I had expected.

Woo hoo! Thanks to the race organizers!

I have the 2 turtles: Toby and Tilly

I haven't logged them yet because I am waiting for some friends, who handed them off to me, to log them into the event where I got them in Austin, Tx. I will be taking them for the last relay to the finish line. They will be within a hundred or so miles (maybe 200) of the finish when I hand them off, most likely at another event. Will they be first to the finish? Who knows........???

I gotta get in on the next run! This is cool.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner of Team KKF2A:

Looks like the last update didn't run properly. Have no fear, we're on it.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

My bug finally moves so I go to check my standings and there are no STATS!!! I get here all upset but I am calmed to know that the stats are being worked on.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

Well, since the official stats page is still not working properly, I thought I would post some unofficial stats as calculated by my mapping program. Here are the top 20:

Position - TB# - Name - Miles to go

1 - #42 - Oscar's Express - 740 miles

2 - #14 - Cannonball Runner Vince - 855 miles

3 - #57 - The Big Yellow Bus - 934 miles

4 - #56 - Team Geo-Remdation HUMVEE - 985 miles

5 - #4 - 4x4 Lightning - 1214 miles

6 - #10 - Cannonball Jack - 1303 miles

7 - #25 - Give Peace a Chance - 1377 miles

8 - #2 - 2003 Cannonball Mini Cooper - 1386 miles

9 - #48 - Racing Pika Bug - 1386 miles

10 - #28 - Heavy Chevy - 1390 miles

11 - #11 - Cannonball Road Rescue - 1393 miles

12 - #9 - Cannonball - MrToads Willy - 1396 miles

13 - #55 - Speed & Cache - 1396 miles

14 - #59 - The Pride of Brock Yates - 1396 miles

15 - #58 - The Invisible Man's X-Wave - 1396 miles

16 - #21 - El Diablo - 1472 miles

17 - #62 - Tilly Tortoise - 1574 miles

18 - #63 - Toby the Tortoise - 1574 miles

19 - #38 - Michael Schumacher's Ferrari F2001 - 1630 miles

20 - #30 - Herbie - 1678 miles

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Coolness! 4x4 Lightning was picked up and given a fantastic ride across the Northern Route toward the West Coast!

Thanks to GneissTuff&Wacke for the boost!

Looks like 4x4 Lightning is headed to Montana. Hopefully he won't stop long enough to become a Dental Floss Tycoon... or was that Mental Toss Flycoon?

Both stats pages are down because one feeds the other. They are working on the problem now, so hopefully the stats will be back up soon. The race is not over yet, but Tilly Tortoise and Toby the Tortoise have just moved into the lead with only 115 miles to go to the finish line!

I have updated the map if you want to see the positions of the racers.

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Looks like Tilly and Toby Tortoise tied for first today! Congratulations to both of them!

I feel extra proud as I was part of their grand victory, carrying the bugs 220 miles from Cleveland, OH to Cincinnati, OH and then into KY.

Now let's see how many bugs can make it there (eventually)

Slow but steady DOES win the race!

Thanks to SueShe, Ameslan, YSU90, regoarrarr, Show Me the Cache, Web-ling, nurseshark, Snoogans, and Xine who helped both Toby and Tilly Tortoise make it all the way to the finish line, just one day short of 4 months! A special thanks to regoarrarr, Web-ling, and Snoogans who logged them into and out of multiple caches. Snoogans took them a whopping 1680 miles through 4 states!

Now the proud parents (Toby and Tilly) are just waiting for their children, Timmy and Tammy to cross the finish line.

It's interesting to note that although Toby and Tilly traveled every leg of the race together, the idea for entering a tortoise developed separately by each team (Team GUI - Tilly; and Team GeoDillo - Toby). Chalk it up to “travel bug love” for keeping them together throughout the race!

So where do we sign up for next year's race? :-)

Scott of Team GeoDillo