ANNOUNCING THE 1ST ANNUAL TRAVELBUG CANNONBALL RUN!

Brogan

team laughing gravy offers apologies to clayjar - although the mileage did look a bit odd. related to other missing bugs - Dustoff left Mig 21 fighter and Pour me a cold bud in Independence Day Dilly on 3/17 - a note at that cache on 4/13 indicates all travel bugs are gone - how would determination of 'first bug missing in action' be made?

is there a difference between dustoff21 and DUSTOFF8? (I've affectionately named them "The Dustoff Gang"). They've effectively had my bug (The wheresgeorge bug)since March 29th. Strikeforce1 had him from March 20 thru the 28th when he was grabbed ("intercepted") by -=(GEO)=-. All i good fun, of course. But I'd sure like to see him take off again, and ppossibly be moved by someone who is NOT playing with him. He hasn't had a non-interference movement since the beginning of the race!

I am certain, though that as soon as he is released, he will blaze on to victory. As I live on the east coast, and I've never seen anything try to get away from me as fast as money does, my selection of a dollar bill as my bug was a stroke of genius.

oh well, let's see how this weekend pans out...

later,

brian

Check out www.warrenmurphy.com for new releases and "The Assassin's Handbook". It's back after 20 years!!

quote:
Originally posted by LaughingGravy:

team laughing gravy offers apologies to clayjar - although the mileage did look a bit odd.

Hehe. Apologies not really necessary, but accepted nonetheless. (I intended to make it look strange and catch people off-guard, and from the sounds of it, it worked, eh? icon_biggrin.gif)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

Just to keep you all informed:

All of the cache owners of the caches that ClayJar's now infamous trip stopped at have been contacted and asked to check the actual cache logbook for an entry on the appropriate date for ClayJar AND Oscar's Express, so far every response has been positive and there is no reason to doubt that the logs and mileage are accurate.

This has been a common, random practice that I have been doing since the beginning of the race, but in light of the huge distance and the small amount of time that this bug moved in Oscar's Express was singled out for the proverbial microscope exam.

Well, now that the race is so well advanced, I've stumbled into the forums and found all the pit stop chatter. we had the pleasure of Herbie and Lennie the Lizards company. We have anxiously watched their progress on the site map. ( kudos to the ones responsible for that )

Are there any plans for the next Cannonball yet? Would love to enter it.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

I've just finished reading some of my competition's comments in this forum and had to see just what my Dustoff friends were doing. After reading several bugs journey logs I wish I had not entered the race at all. They are having more fun screwing with the racers than the racers are. I just finished reading a log from Dustoff21 on a racers bug page that read something like "Muhaahaahaa haa." How often does the average guy get to use the sinister laugh. That's awesome. I love how serious we take geocaching sometimes. I know I'm an idiot. How about you guys? Ohh, I forgot to mention; I'm heading to Afghanistan in May. E-mail me if you want an address to mail travel bugs to for placement in a Afghan cache.

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

_stats question_

How often does/should? the stats and map on the offical site update??

I'm asking because the date given as the last update is the 24th.... is something busted? or have has nothing changed since then or what??

The stats page on the official site is set to automatically update every 4 hours I believe - Dekaner/Egnix are looking after that part.

The map requires a bit of manual effort to label the bugs in their current position. I try to update the map on a daily basis, but I was away the last two days and not able to get to it until this morning. Thanks for keeping me on my toes! icon_smile.gif

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

quote:
Originally posted by junglehair:

The stats page on the official site is set to automatically update every 4 hours I believe - Dekaner/Egnix are looking after that part.

So shouldn't they have updated more recently than the 24th? icon_confused.gif

quote:
The map requires a bit of manual effort to label the bugs in their current position. I try to update the map on a daily basis, but I was away the last two days and not able to get to it until this morning. Thanks for keeping me on my toes! icon_smile.gif

I realized the stats and the map do not update at the same time, but as for why neither had updated since 24th was a mystery.

And on a side note, icon_wink.gifWho gave you permission to be away? icon_razz.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
So shouldn't they have updated more recently than the 24th?

And on a side note, icon_wink.gifWho gave you permission to be away? icon_razz.gif

I'm not sure why the stats page wouldn't have updated during that time - although I see it has been updated now. I'll mention it to Dekaner so he can check to make sure things are working properly.

As for being away, I was at a geocaching event yesterday, logged 12 caches, AND passed the 100th cache found mark! Am I forgiven? icon_biggrin.gif

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

quote:

I realized the stats and the map do not update at the same time, but as for why neither had updated since 24th was a mystery.

When I read your post, the stats were current, though now I see there hasn't been an update since last night. That could be from the problem you saw before or perhaps a new problem...

I haven't seen it happen in a while, but in the past sometimes there weren't updates when geocaching.com was too slow and my update program timed out.

Anyway, the next update is due in a little over a half hour...I'll try to see if I can, um, see anything.

[This message was edited by Egnix on April 27, 2003 at 05:46 PM.]

OK, I hope I have picked up some good karma for my Racing Pika Bug. Here is the story. I saw that The Big Yellow Bus, which was doing very well, was near Nebraska. My boyfriend, who doesn't have a racer entered, and hence could touch it, agreed to pick it up and divert it or put it in a hard to reach cache. THEN, I saw that it was the racer of a fourth grade class! I couldn't ask someone to mess with that, I would feel horrible! So, my boyfriend placed it in a cache during the Nebraska CITO event. I bet it gets going again right away and on track. So, I hope this brings good karma for my own racing bug!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

I couldn't ask someone to mess with that, I would feel horrible! So, my boyfriend placed it in a cache during the Nebraska CITO event.

Geez, letting a bunch of kids foul up the 'plan'... icon_razz.gif

And for those of you who didn't get the memo, the plan is, to side track all the *lead* travelers till MORE of the other racers at least make an Escape from New York icon_eek.gif.

btw- something like 46% (35/75)of all the racers are reported in as being in New York right now icon_rolleyes.gif.

quote:

And for those of you who didn't get the memo, the plan is, to side track all the *lead* travelers till MORE of the other racers at least make an Escape from New York icon_eek.gif.

btw- something like 46% (35/75)of all the racers are reported in as being in New York right now icon_rolleyes.gif.

Well, I'm about ready to give up on this entire thing. My bug went 62 miles (approx.) southwest and then stayed in a cache for a month. Now it's been in the hands of a geocacher for two weeks. It's supposed to be a race and I'm stuck at the starting line while there are bugs one state away from the finishing state. icon_mad.gif

Very frustrating. icon_frown.gif

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

Dont give up, Webfoot.

I moved Dreamweaver 280+ miles SE about a week after the start. Unfortunately, this equated to moving it 120 actual miles FURTHER from the finish, and put it down around 70th place out of 75.. icon_frown.gif

It sat there till about a week ago, and I see this weekend, it ended up getting moved to Indianapolis, catching up with two other bugs, and is now tied for 6th place overall...Looks like my end-run finally payed off WOOHOO!... icon_smile.gif

Now if someone would just place Captain America... icon_frown.gif

I think the race is far from over by a long shot. I think Oscar's Express is in for a hard time making that last border...

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

Dont give up, Webfoot.

I don't think I'm going to give up. I think I was venting more than anything. Just a very frustrating turn of events so far.

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

The race is far from over... while it looks like one bug is far in the lead, and many bugs are stuck in the snow, the real shenanigans won't start until bugs get close to the finish.

Can the locals control the situation enough to keep unwanted from finishing in a timely manner?

Does someone have a friend in the area that can take the winner to the home stretch?

All this is still to be determined.

Oscar hasn't moved in a week.

Yellow School Bus is already in Nebraska.

Things are JUST getting interesting.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

quote:
Originally posted by Eric K:

What happens in the case of a bug like this one? Someone moved it from NY to Florida. Does it just have to come back to a state adjacent to NY before moving towards the goal?

The rules state that:

1. Travel bugs are allowed to move only one state at a time, states must share a common border. Any bug that skips a state intentionally or not is required to backtrack to the last continuous state that it was in (not necessarily the same cache) and begin again from there. The same holds true for any bug leaving the country.

Therefore, this TB would be required to return to New York, and then continue from there.

The travelbug in question, however, belongs to Dekaner - one of the organizers of the race. It is not eligible to win the race anyway.

-Junglehair

The log entry for that bug is interesting. It was NOT there earlier in the week (I've been watching this bug because of its curious move). Yet the log for the dropoff in Florida is backdated to April 1st. Moreover, the cache log states that she's taking it back to New York, yet the bug still shows up in the Florida cache page. Where is it????

All of this confusion, notwithstanding that she knew it was a racing bug when she picked it up, yet did not read the tag attached to the bug, where the "one state at a time" rule was spelled out.

Should there be a test before you are allowed to handle travel bugs?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

Shelly Team probably visited that cache on April 1, but only logged it today. I would guess that they still have the travelbug, and only logged it there to show the mileage.

I am willing to bet, however, that they will now drop it in a cache in New York, go home and try to log it, only to realize that they don't know what the travel bug number is any more. icon_rolleyes.gif

Any takers?

-Junglehair

quote:
Originally posted by strikeforce1:

Strikeforce1 arrested another tb today. I have arrested a running total of 11 as of tonight, I presently have five in hand. Now that the weather has broken, I plan another express trip westward, this comming week. I apoligize for holding on to ScreamingGoGo and RenoRum for so long. It was not due to my control as much as the weather. Therefor, they will be placed in my scheduled 2nd last stop westward - at least into mid Ohio. Strikeforce1 - out and about. icon_smile.gif

team laughing gravy is wondering if an All Points Bulletin needs to be posted for the Cannonball Cop. Promises of trips westward this coming week (4/17) and here it is end of April? have any of the 5 bugs 'in hand' been released? Curious minds want to know....

OK ictXckr, I think racers should be able to interfere also. But, Sir, have you read how much flack the DUSTOFF Crew has gotten for actively interfereing with the game? We have a local racer entered, but none of the DUSTOFFers have bugs entered ourselves. The rules allow us to help our local entries, so why would the gamers complain? The rules were posted before the entrants entered...DUSTOFF8

PS No, DUSTOFF21 is not me. He is looking across the desk at me, but I'm much better looking.

quote:
Originally posted by ict X ckr:

Since next years race will be run by the NY group, it would be nice to come up with some rules/guidelines that allow racers to interfere with other racers and not disqualify themselves in the process. After all in the spirit of the race it should be do-able.

In regards to my bug, which was in Florida...

The bug was accidentally taken to Florida, directly against it's goal. The owner did not realize it for whatever reason and soon contacted me to address the issue. Rather than place it in Florida and let it try to find it's way back to NY, the original cacher was kind enough to bring it back to NY this week. It hopefully will be on it's way to PA this weekend, but we'll see.

To address if it needed to backtrack through each state, the answer is no. It just can't log any forward progress until it makes it back to NY first.

To address the date it was logged in Florida, I asked the cacher to drop it and pick it back up in one of their recent caches so that I could at least get some mileage seeing as how my bug was held for a month and not making any progress towards it's goal.

It's a travel bug. These things happen.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

quote:
Originally posted by DUSTOFF8:

OK ictXckr, I think racers should be able to interfere also. But, Sir, have you read how much flack the DUSTOFF Crew has gotten for actively interfereing with the game? We have a local racer entered, but none of the DUSTOFFers have bugs entered ourselves. The rules allow us to help our local entries, so why would the gamers complain? The rules were posted before the entrants entered...DUSTOFF8

I think reason for giving Dustoff flack is that many(most?) people feel Dustoff crossed the line between "helping a certain bug by nudging other races off course" and "helping a certain racer win by screwing others over". If Dustoff wants their buddy to win (and they sure seem to), and not receive as much flak (which they also want?), they should pick up that person's racer(which is allowed by the rules...) and road trip it closer to the finish line.

Hey Dustoff8 - You are not going to get a lot of sympathy from me about the flack your crew has gotten. icon_biggrin.gif I don't believe any one has claimed you haven't played by the rules. I don't think there is a racer out there who didn't anticipate being hi-jacked, and truthfully it is part of the fun watching. Even being hi-jacked more than once is not something that is upsetting. I think the heat is coming from the fact that besides being willing to advance your pet 500 miles (cool icon_cool.gif for him), your crew has found it necessary to control around 30% of the racers, some like myself more than once (this is only possible at both ends of the race as they spread out in the middle). Migo was jacked for about a month and then not logged into another cache, he just showed up being retrieved yesterday more than likely by chance. Not logging a bug is pretty severe intervention, icon_mad.gifeffectively taking it out of the race. With the advantages of having so many races in such close proximity it seem fair that more cachers get the chance to help or hinder at their whim and not left to a smaller group that evidently has the time to power cache. I have admitted you play fair even if nasty, icon_eek.gif the traveling cache was a good one hard to pin down – except for the logging issue. As for TOMAHAWK, I am wondering if there is a prize for being farthest in road miles from the finish. While a couple show farther away, it is hard to tell looking a maps, I think my bug is farther walking miles from the finish line (BTW I think that is hilarious). But it would be nice to see some progress, as the race is now a month and a half along and TOMAHAWK has yet to make a positive mile.

I am aware you and your cohort are not the same, as for better looking - I will leave that up to someone else to judge. icon_rolleyes.gif Also I just released another bug at an event here in Oz last weekend. Its name is Hand Shake and one of its goals is to meet you guys. icon_wink.gif So keep an eye out for it, it will take a while I am sure. Just to let you know I think this is all good fun.

Don't step in that!!!!!

Touralis disappeared from the Maple Grove Cache after it was placed on April 13th. He turned up today of all places back in that cache! It seems someone took him out and was going to take him to Florida (deja vu) but didn't read the bug's page until almost 3 weeks later. They were kind enough to return him and he was immediately picked up by JungleHair. He's still 90 miles EAST of the starting line, so any westward movement would be appreciated. Thanks JungleHair for offering to move him back to Buffalo. Maybe someone will be so kind as to move him to PA soon. (2 months into the race and hasn't even crossed the state line...geez!)

bandbass.gif

Has anybody seen TOMAHAWK? On my way to Vermont for the weekend and want him to win the "wrong way" prize. Also looking forward to meeting Hand Shake. "Muhaahaahaa haa."

Check out the rules page. In there somewhere was the list of prizes including the most miles travelled prize and the wrong way prize.

Can't wait for next years Cannonball Run. Maybe mine will get to Egypt...

quote:
Originally posted by ict X ckr:

Hey Dustoff8 - You are not going to get a lot of sympathy from me about the flack your crew has gotten. icon_biggrin.gif I don't believe any one has claimed you haven't played by the rules. I don't think there is a racer out there who didn't anticipate being hi-jacked, and truthfully it is part of the fun watching. Even being hi-jacked more than once is not something that is upsetting. I think the heat is coming from the fact that besides being willing to advance your pet 500 miles (cool icon_cool.gif for him), your crew has found it necessary to control around 30% of the racers, some like myself more than once (this is only possible at both ends of the race as they spread out in the middle). Migo was jacked for about a month and then not logged into another cache, he just showed up being retrieved yesterday more than likely by chance. Not logging a bug is pretty severe intervention, icon_mad.gifeffectively taking it out of the race. With the advantages of having so many races in such close proximity it seem fair that more cachers get the chance to help or hinder at their whim and not left to a smaller group that evidently has the time to power cache. I have admitted you play fair even if nasty, icon_eek.gif the traveling cache was a good one hard to pin down – except for the logging issue. As for TOMAHAWK, I am wondering if there is a prize for being farthest in road miles from the finish. While a couple show farther away, it is hard to tell looking a maps, I think my bug is farther walking miles from the finish line (BTW I think that is hilarious). But it would be nice to see some progress, as the race is now a month and a half along and TOMAHAWK has yet to make a positive mile.

I am aware you and your cohort are not the same, as for better looking - I will leave that up to someone else to judge. icon_rolleyes.gif Also I just released another bug at an event here in Oz last weekend. Its name is Hand Shake and one of its goals is to meet you guys. icon_wink.gif So keep an eye out for it, it will take a while I am sure. Just to let you know I think this is all good fun.

Don't step in that!!!!!

Light weight - I thought you guys were power cachers -Maine is only about an inch on the map...working on your Egyptian request.

Originally posted by DUSTOFF8:

Has anybody seen TOMAHAWK? On my way to Vermont for the weekend and want him to win the "wrong way" prize. Also looking forward to meeting Hand Shake. "Muhaahaahaa haa."

Check out the rules page. In there somewhere was the list of prizes including the most miles travelled prize and the wrong way prize.

Can't wait for next years Cannonball Run. Maybe mine will get to Egypt...

Don't step in that!!!!!

The Cannon Ball Cop has delivered all arrested racers to points west, while some were at their keyboards complaining - The Cop was out Caching. Check your sheets for miles gained. Some only went a few, others went many. BTW: Speed Indeed is my game, I didn't get arrested for speedingicon_wink.gif. Do I hear a nother trip west or maybe east, brewing. Who get's Arrested "NEXT", wait an see. The Cannon Ball Cop has friends up and down the west coast, just waiting for their chance to par take. icon_smile.gifEnjoy the game!!! TCBC

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Looks like some of those bugs skipped Pennsylvania and moved directly to Ohio from New York. Oh well.

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

Hey don't the Borders of OHIO and NEW YORK touch somewhere out in the middle of Lake Erie???? I could be very wrong....but if I went into the water in Buffalo, I think i could get out in cleveland..that's touching to me....

LET"S GET THOSE BUGS OUT OF NEW YORK!!!!!!!!!

Give me a Tall ship, and a Star to steer her bye...

The White Fleet....

quote:
Originally posted by geo-Packrat:

Hey don't the Borders of OHIO and NEW YORK touch somewhere out in the middle of Lake Erie???? I could be very wrong....but if I went into the water in Buffalo, I think i could get out in cleveland..that's touching to me....

UMMMMM

NO

You'd be going into Canada. The Penn Border touches the Canadian border. And your GPS doesn't show that?????

I'm in need of direction, I can't see the satelites for the trees there.

Frankly I'm of the opinion that New York touches the ocean, and the ocean touches California.... So if I were to Exit New York on a boat and sail to California I would be with-in the letter of the rules...But a sailboat would take quite a bit of time to reach the west coast.

I don't see borders....there's water and there's land....I prefer the water thank you...

Give me a Tall ship, and a Star to steer her bye...

The White Fleet....

quote:
Originally posted by geo-Packrat:

Frankly I'm of the opinion that New York touches the ocean, and the ocean touches California.... So if I were to Exit New York on a boat and sail to California I would be with-in the letter of the rules...But a sailboat would take quite a bit of time to reach the west coast.

Ahhhhh I was raised on sailing on the SF bay...I'm with you BUUUUUT

Since when is Lake Erie an ocean????

Also bodies of water are included in a states boundaries and there is that international border to contend with.

Here is a refresher on the rule

quote:
1. Travel bugs are allowed to move only one state at a time, states must share a common border. Any bug that skips a state intentionally or not is required to backtrack to the last continuous state that it was in (not necessarily the same cache) and begin again from there. The same holds true for any bug leaving the country.

I'm in need of direction, I can't see the satelites for the trees there.

I came across a cache log by Strikeforce on a cache in the Erie, PA area, where he says he stopped by on a visit with lots of Cannonball bugs, and promised to post pictures of the group. If true, then it was just a logging error. Perhaps we need an official ruling: if there was clear evidence that a bug stopped by a cache in State A, but was not logged in and out of the cache before being dropped on a cache page in State B, does the bug need to go back to State A? Hope not.

EDIT: Bugs in question, moved by Strikeforce1, include Invisible Man's X Wave Scooter, Cannonball Runner Vince, Give Peace a Chance, and F-16 Cannonballer.

Separately, I worry about Heavy Chevy, who seems to have moved from upstate New York to Cincinnati.

[This message was edited by The Leprechauns on May 05, 2003 at 08:03 AM.]

Please email us the name of the bugs in question to cannonballrun@ny-geocaching.org and we'll track them down and give an official ruling.

Update: I received the list and will be sorting this out. Thanks.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

[This message was edited by Dekaner of Team KKF2A on May 05, 2003 at 08:12 AM.]

One of those bugs is mine, Screamin' Gogomobile, and he was logged into Coonass # 1 in PA on March 15 by SueShe. They ran into D1scouter at the cache while logging the bug and D1scouter grabbed it and moved it on to A Restful Stop in Ohio where strikeforce picked it up on March 28. I hope this meets the rules of the race. This also applies to RenoRumRunner - they have been travelling together since the start date and have become pretty good friends! icon_biggrin.gif

For the record, the situation with this bunch of bugs is identical to the situation with my bug when it was carried by SF1.

Logged into Ohio, then several days later logged into PA with a back-log of the day of the ohio placement. Not sure if it was forgotten or what, but the bug was in fact in OH as it it was taken from there by Dustoff21 and then endured it's incarceration.

The OH cache was, incidentally, "A restful stop in Ohio" and my racer was placed /into/ that cache on March 28.

So I can say with some level of surity that it probably got to OH, but even in my case, I cannot confirm nor deny that my bug was actually in PA. But I have no reason to assume it was not.

For what it's worth.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

So The CannonBAll Cop isn't entitled to a mistake. OK, so I took the time tonight to redo all but one CB tb log to show that they stopped in Pa at Delta Cache GC64DE. Now I need to catch up with Geo50Chevy and revise that log.icon_frown.gif My hats off to the "whinner family" for complaining, they did get logged into the book, not electronically though. BTW: pic has been sent to Dekenar & Brogan to verify thier visit. I'll be sending out kleenex to the complainers soonicon_smile.gif The CannonBall Cop icon_mad.gif