ANNOUNCING THE 1ST ANNUAL TRAVELBUG CANNONBALL RUN!

Brogan

Rule Changes

I propose that rather than trying to create and enforce a bunch of rules about who can touch what, when/where, and for how long, the rules are simplified to pretty much "anything goes". The only rule would be you cannot destroy any racer.

To keep one team/person from putting all (but their own) the racers out. The cannonball be made "blind", by that I mean no-one knows whos entry is whos. Im not sure the best way to do this. So far im thinking that those wishing to enter the race can pay a Small fee to whoever is organizing/sponsoring the race. This would help pay for some sort of ID/info/goal card or tag. And to help setup/maintain an tracking&stats website for the race. The sponsor would then make up these ID cards and number them. And secrectly, known only to themself (they are of course DQed from partipating in the race icon_frown.gif) assign each 'racer' entrant a number. But he/she does not tell anyone, even those that have entered the race, whos is whos.

Then these numbered ID/info cards are used in the race. And only after the winner has made it to the finish line (or maybe this should be after the top three have made it to the finish line), is the 'owner' of the winning entry released. I realize this eliminates the need for all the different cars, trains, planes etc etc that are traveling to CA, but this is how I would like to see the race done in the future.

If people still want to "make up" a racer, maybe they could submit it, and it will be sent to the finish line. That way when the winner does reach the end, its ID tag can be attached to the racer it was taking the place of. Sounds kinda dumb racing identical Goal cards, I know, but it would elimnate ransoms and knock-offs etc.

And btw- I like the idea of alternating start/finish or maybe even checkpoints.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I think we need to wait until the race is over to decide what the rule could be. There is a lot of race left. Lets let more cachers play. Here are some interesting figures.

Akhenaten 1

ambeer 1

brogan 1

coonass 1

dustoff21 10

fishensmit 1

gobucks 4

HFJohn 1

ihs.hiking 2

In Play 33

J. Camper 1

kneal44 2

LLLL 1

Microbe2 1

prettyvacantone 1

Roadkill 2

scubadive 2

Shelly Team 1

Sherwood Forest 1

soccercoach 2

strikeforce1 4

Don't step in that!!!!!

Those numbers kind of touch on the issue I was talking about.

In a 'response' to an email inquiry I sent to the holder of my racer about when they thought they would be able to put my bug back on the road, I was told "a few weeks" from now. That's after two weeks in their posession. I won't come out and say who it is, but according to these numbers... they are holding on to 9 other bugs as well. icon_wink.gif This is what I was talking about... it's seems less like 'good natured interference' and more like its being held for a long time intentionally and knowingly.

I don't mind interference. I actually would /prefer/ my racer go to china than sit in some person's house for 5 or 6 weeks. But hoarding bugs and holding them is not a Good Thing whether they be racers or not.

This situation is what inspired my original comments. I was trying not to single anyone out, but I do believe that this kind of things requires some thought for next time around.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ict X ckr:

Distribution of bugs. In play are in caches, others are who holds how many.

Other than Dustoff, Im not sure whats so interesting?? icon_confused.gif If someone in an area picks up TBs they will probly pick up any in a given area at one time IMO, especially if they have common goal(s).

I think the whole point of listing the bugs being held was to illustrate how Dustoff stands out like a sore thumb. All of the others are excusable... even if someone's been holding onto one or two bugs for three weeks, that is not nearly the same as driving all the way to Ohio, grabbing a bug that had made forward progress, and moving it backwards to a remote military base in the Adirondacks and then not even releasing it into another cache.

Kidnapping and waylaying one or two bugs is funny. I myself diverted the Pace Car to a remote cache, because I wasn't hurting a "real" race participant, and I only held onto the bug for ONE DAY. ClayJar moved Oscar's Express backwards from Louisiana to north Georgia, which I found to be hysterically funny. Likewise, unintentional diversion or delay of bugs by someone who doesn't understand the race goal will also happen, as is the case for ANY bug with a specific goal.

Intentionally waylaying ten racing bugs and then sitting on them for weeks is not funny, it's mean-spirited. While I do not have a bug in the race, I will do what I can to help along any of the victimized bugs as they pass through my caching territory, and I will follow the "Reverse Golden Rule" if I ever come across a bug owned by Dustoff: Do unto others as they have done unto you.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

I think the whole point of listing the bugs being held was to illustrate how Dustoff stands out like a sore thumb. All of the others are excusable... even if someone's been holding onto one or two bugs for three weeks, that is not nearly the same as driving all the way to Ohio, grabbing a bug that had made forward progress, and moving it backwards to a remote military base in the Adirondacks and then not even releasing it into another cache.

I guess that one went right over icon_redface.gif

Well, I have been running some stats on our friend Dustoff21, and this is what I have found:

• Handled 23 of the 73 bugs entered in the race

• Moved 9 of them backwards (8 of those for more than 150 miles)

• Moved 6 bugs forward 50 to 70 miles

• Moved 1 bug forward 158 miles

• Moved 1 bug forward 525 miles!

• Holds onto the bugs an average of 6 days

• Held on to 5 of the bugs for more than 2 weeks (max time 19 days)

• Currently holding 9 bugs (7 for 5 days now, 1 for 18 days, and 1 for 19 days)

• Has handled 4 bugs more than once

We may not like what he's doing, but he is playing by the rules. And with the exception of two of the bugs, he doesn't seem to be holding on to them for long periods of time either. Since he does not have a bug entered in the race, there's not really much we can do about enforcing the rules - no matter what rules are decided upon.

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Strikeforce1 arrested another tb today. I have arrested a running total of 11 as of tonight, I presently have five in hand. Now that the weather has broken, I plan another express trip westward, this comming week. I apoligize for holding on to ScreamingGoGo and RenoRum for so long. It was not due to my control as much as the weather. Therefor, they will be placed in my scheduled 2nd last stop westward - at least into mid Ohio. Strikeforce1 - out and about. icon_smile.gif

Maybe I owe all of you an apology. I have been posting some stats that have interested me. I did so to show how we play. Which is part of the game too. When my bug gets shanghaied, sure, I get miffed but know it is all part of the game. When others plot revenge, I laugh and do some plotting myself. As far as I can tell everyone is playing by the rules and having a good time. Which is why we are all doing this, right? It is easy to be critical of all you easterners, we don't have your weather nor have we had your opportunities. That is why I said lets wait till the race is over to decide what rules we need. I do have some definite views about the play, but until the race is over we won't know which are reasonable and fair. While I think holding a lot of bugs is limiting play by others it is playing fair. Maybe I am just jealous of the time some of you can spend on the play of the game. I hope all of you continue to play the way you feel is right. I would just like to see all the racers finish before the next race starts. Winning isn’t that big of a deal, finishing is the reward. So, if what I have done has embarrassed you I apologize.

Except for you dustoff21. icon_wink.gif

Don't step in that!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by strikeforce1:

Strikeforce1 arrested another tb today. I have arrested a running total of 11 as of tonight, I presently have five in hand. Now that the weather has broken, I plan another express trip westward, this comming week. I apoligize for holding on to ScreamingGoGo and RenoRum for so long. It was not due to my control as much as the weather. Therefor, they will be placed in my scheduled 2nd last stop westward - at least into mid Ohio. Strikeforce1 - out and about. icon_smile.gif

Maybe you can arrest my bug...it's 60 miles NE of the race starting point! At this point, I wouldn't mind some 'interference'

bandbass.gif

Hi all. I'm a geo-caching newbie and I've been watching the cannonball run for the last week. I wish I could of entered a travel bug!

Anyway, I'm in mid-Missouri and keep waiting for the cannonball tb racers to make it closer to me. I'm actually thinking about making a trip to St. Louis to get Herbie, but I don't know. I have several trips planned within the next few months which I could move a few tb's along. At the rate they are going, I'm not sure many of them will get here in time! Oh well. Anyway, if anyone would like help through Missouri or even a little interference I'm listening icon_wink.gif (mb a donation to my paypal account! icon_biggrin.gif j/k!) icon_biggrin.gif

Team GPSax said;

Maybe you can arrest my bug...it's 60 miles NE of the race starting point! At this point, I wouldn't mind some 'interference'

Which one is yours? I must be fairly near to it and I will be goin thru PA. next weekend.

Thank you, strikeforce! We appreciate the info and glad to hear that good ole SG will be gogoin' down the highway soon! It must have been quite trying listening to the constant screaming!! icon_biggrin.gif I keep trying to tell him that patience is a virtue - one of these days......

I'm sure the rumrunner kept him happy with refreshments, though, so maybe the scream was more like a low hum???? That song about the bottles of beer on the wall gets old after a while doesn't it?

Here's to great weather!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:

My Viper is 60 miles East of the start since the day the race started as well. I'm hoping to get back to the Start Point by the time the winner gets to California. icon_eek.gif

Well, it's Saturday, a good caching day. I'm hoping Magic School Bus gets placed in a cache. I'm sure the weather up there has something to do with it, but this thing started over 6 weeks ago. I think a sloth could travel more quickly than this. icon_frown.gif

C'mon Ms. Frizzle!!

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

This being a LONG weekend for MANY people....I hope that lots of bugs get moved...those in caches get picked up, and those that are being held get dropped offed....

it would be nice if we had at least 50% being moved this weekend.

I am goign to check out a spot for a possible 4/4 or 5/5....some may not feel that the spot isn't anything above a 3/3...but with the unknown sinkholes in the region it's not a trek for Kids running loose...

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

Team GPSaxophone, - surely if I get the chance, rest assured, I will ARREST your tb as well. We may even have some Rum that RenoRumRunner has been share -ing with the rest of the tb's while waiting to move onward. I must insist that the tb's will not drink while The CannonBall Express Transporter is moving, even though I am a designated driver. Happy Caching icon_cool.gif

First, I don't have a bug in the race and I am just observing the race. Here is one idea for a future race. Since it appears that there is a quasi probability distribution with bug travel that includes outliers (a few bugs very fast, a few bugs very slow), the race isn't too exciting since the probable winner has been narrowed done to just a couple bugs.

Start all bugs in a cache in the middle of the country (maybe St. Louis and/or Chicago and/or Dallas). (sidenote I like the idea of multiple start points).

Racers would either be on Team West or Team East. Team West would win 5 bugs got to a cache in Seattle and 5 other bugs got to a cache in San Diego (or LA). Team East would win when 5 bugs got to a cache in Florida and 5 bugs got to a cache in Maine (or MA). The concept being to race to the corners of the US.

One advantage would be more cachers involved. The rule about 'one state at a time' may have to be rethought since the East has those funny little states and the West has normal sized states.

I do realize that this doesn't hold true to the Cannonball movie. I saw the movie as a teenager and can still remember where the Lambourghni driver kept her driver's license, but I do think the Cannonball spirit of cross-country racing can be kept even if the race has teams and only crosses half the country.

What a neat idea, glenn. You can adjust for the one state at a time rule a bit by moving the starting point eastward a state or few if necessary, but on the other hand there are hops that don't even cross state lines. Or, you could have teams North and South instead.

New England still has tiny states, but if you're heading to Maine the lengths of PA, NY, MA and ME are reasonable.

Not that this should prevent another NY-anchored race either.

The half-country separate races would be interesting, but it would make the most sense for each team to have a bug in each leg, that way, they all face the same geography, etc.

However, that would certainly take away the theme of the Cannonball run, which I thought was supposed to be across country.

So maybe, you could still keep the canonball run route but add a few others. Maybe one bug has to make it to Miami and another has to get to Seattle. The team with the combined quickest race to each of the destinations wins.

Adding points, though, will certainly slow the race down and simply drag out the results even further.

The race isn't decided yet.

How many who have bugs stuck back east have spent any time getting ahold of people and trying to convice them to move your bug?

I've been busy trying to get Oscar side tracked. As he gets closer to the finish I have more people who can help me out. There is also a bigger chance that someone just may grab the bug and take him all the way to the finish. So I'm busy emailing people.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

I like the idea of different starting points. How about this as an idea.

Just look at all the states on the East coast. Keep the same finishing point as Cali pretty much covers the whole West coast. (No offense Washingon State) :-)

But think of if say the 75 bugs or so that started this race could have been spread out starting in different Atlantic coast states.

That way, many more states and cachers could get involved.

Just an idea.

Get your trackable USA geocoins at http://www.usageocoins.com

Dustoff21 took my travel bug from Ohio and said he needed it back east again. He never responded to my emails. Since the lead Bug is in AZ there is no real reason to hold on to a bug unless he is colloecting them, which goes against what travel bugs are for.

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

Since I'm the one that moved Dreamweaver and Captain America to their stall points in York, PA. I took the liberty of emailing both parties and politely asked when they thought they might get placed....The next day, Dreamweaver got placed in WV...icon_smile.gif

I havent heard from Captain America though... icon_frown.gif

Sorry, Junglehair...

Art

http://www.yankeetoys.org

http://www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

I have tried emailing him a few times myself, but have not heard back from him yet icon_frown.gif I've checked his caching activity, and while he did do a few more caches after picking up Captain America, he hasn't been out since the end of March.

pjh: I was checking some stats on Dustoff21 a while back, and he doesn't seem to be holding on to bugs for too long (with a couple exceptions), he just seems to like to move them to remote parts of northern NY.

I am going to a geocaching event this weekend in Auburn, NY. If any northern NYers want to help these bugs out by collecting them and bringing them to the event, I could at least get them moved back to Rochester (close to the starting point). Disqualifying my own travelbug seems to be a moot point now.

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Seems that most of the bugs that Dustoff 21 had were released from local Watertown Caches this last weekend. Now all they need to do is make up for lost time.

I also will be in attendance at the Auburn event this coming weekend, no need for junglehair to DQ herself, I and several other cachers are more than willing to give assistance in getting these bugs moving again.

On a entirely different note... has anyone attempted to delay/misdirect the leaders, and are you willing to admit it? Let me know....

quote:
Originally posted by Brogan:

Seems that most of the bugs that Dustoff 21 had were released from local Watertown Caches this last weekend. Now all they need to do is make up for lost time.

I also will be in attendance at the Auburn event this coming weekend, no need for junglehair to DQ herself, I and several other cachers are more than willing to give assistance in getting these bugs moving again.

On a entirely different note... has anyone attempted to delay/misdirect the leaders, and are you willing to admit it? Let me know....

Gotta keep things interesting. icon_wink.gif

GoBucks

quote:
Originally posted by Brogan:

I've been considering things to do should a racer come 'close enough'. But, A. NONE have come near enough, and B. I can't touch them, so that foils some of my ideas icon_razz.gif.

To answer your question, No I haven't been able to misdirect anyone....

frog.gif

I believe this would be within the rules although it might anger some folk..... When a bug in need of delay is in a cache, but you can't touch it. Make some icon_eek.gif "NO TRESPASSING" icon_eek.gif signs for the cache area for temporary posting. The cache owner may get upset, but it may keep the bug there for a while.

I have not done this yet, but I'm here in CA waiting.

Here's a question...

I live near the end point and have caches of my own near there. If a competing bug lands in one of my caches would it be "legal" to make it "temporarily unavailable" for "maintenance" reasons???? icon_wink.gif

frog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.gif

Enthusiasm may vary.

MrToad,

I am all in favor of "creative" ways to divert a racing bug, so long as they are ethical and not mean-spirited. One easy way around the rule that a contestant can't handle another racing bug is to enlist the help of a friend to do the interference for you. A simple backwards movement of a bug by your friend, or holding onto it for a week or so, would be in the spirit of the game, IMHO. Moving TWENTY bugs backwards, and/or holding onto them for three weeks or more, goes beyond that boundary, again IMHO, even if technically allowed under the race rules. Pick a boundary with which you're personally comfortable.

I do not like the idea of posting fake "no trespassing" signs. This is likely to alarm geocachers. I would not likely hunt a cache that's obviously on private or restricted property unless I receive assurances from the cache owner, preferably on the cache page. Since the signs are false and misleading, I consider this unethical as it would prohibit my finding a cache that was legally placed. And, as you noted, if I were the owner of that cache, I'd be hopping mad. frog.gif

More importantly, fake trespassing signs are likely to attract the attention of the land owner or land manager, and increase the likelihood of the geocache being discovered (if placed without permission) or having permission revoked because of the posting of the signs.

Have fun with the race, Mr. Toad! I think things will get plenty interesting as bugs approach the finish line.

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL

I kind of like the "temporarily unavailable" idea for your cache if one of the travel bugs happens to land there. It's a devilish plan - and in the spirit of the Cannonball Run. I agree with Leprechaun that the no trespassing signs would cause more trouble than it's worth.

-Junglehair

team laughing gravy would like to note - or perhaps it's already been noted - about Oscar's Express mileage... - with the 400+ mile NE 'trip to Georgia' that was posted - and mileage credited? and subsequent trip West - would those miles be credited towards a 'most mileage' award? and what about the rule about random checking with cache owners about physical logs in caches? - just curious about thoughts from other cachers at the forum....

Yes, I agree, a full investigation of ClayJar's actions in moving the Oscar travel bug is called for here. I'm sure that, when he is not improving his "Watcher" software for us, or helping people with geocaching questions in the IRC #geocache channel he set up, or pondering his next great contribution like the geocache rating system, ClayJar has nothing better to do than to fake travel bug movements.

[/sarcasm]

Many of us know the details of ClayJar's recent vacation, consisting of a trip to Georgia followed by a journey out west. Find another tree to bark up.

All that being said, CURSES, ClayJar, for putting that bug so far in the lead!!!

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:
Originally posted by LaughingGravy:

team laughing gravy would like to note - or perhaps it's already been noted - about Oscar's Express mileage... - with the 400+ mile NE 'trip to Georgia' that was posted - and mileage credited? and subsequent trip West - would those miles be credited towards a 'most mileage' award? and what about the rule about random checking with cache owners about physical logs in caches? - just curious about thoughts from other cachers at the forum....

ClayJar should be banned from using ammo boxes or closely monitored to make sure he always "trades up." icon_smile.gif

Well Dustoff21 finally placed my Heavy Duty racer. He took it from Ohio and moved it back 350 miles East into a remote New York location. This new location on gets visited about once a month. It is actually east of the starting point. It is GCE593 Ampersand View. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=24211

I went from 19th place to 70th of 75. So if anyone lives in that area maybe you can move it back to a more active cache. His next goal is Indiana.

PJH

That brings up a question I had about the race. This bug went from NY-PA-OH-NY. So, can its next state visited be Indiana (adjacent to Ohio) or does it have to first re-visit a state adjacent to New York (its current state).

The example that I thought of was if I had one in KY and took it to OH and then IN, would it be able to visit MO (adjacent to KY) or would it first have to visit a state that is adjacent to IN (like Illinois) before being able to move to Missouri?