ANNOUNCING THE 1ST ANNUAL TRAVELBUG CANNONBALL RUN!

Brogan

my my my! Had no idea I would cause so many questions to come up. icon_eek.gif

I studied the rules carefully and understand that there could be different interpretations, but Oscar's Express was "physically placed" in the caches and then taken out. Proof lies in the pictures at each cache and the log books. icon_biggrin.gif In fact, there were several times I had to check back in my bag to make sure I picked him back up before leaving the cache area.

Being "placed" in the cache does not have a specific time period associated with it as far as I could tell. Whether it be 30 minutes or 24 hours. (will defer to the judges)

Oscar visited all the beautiful areas and had a wonderful trip so far. (the object of geocaching!) May Oscar's and all other travel bugs' journey be traffic jam and detour free! icon_wink.gif

This seems to be a loophole that should be fixed for the next race. If an race owner was inclined to drive to the west cost, he could stop at a cache in every new state on the way, sign the log, place and remove the bug, and be in California in no time. Doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the race.

Well if you don't want someone to move yours twice in a row... that's fine by me icon_wink.gif

However, if anyone feels like dunking my bug into a series of caches that take it west... I'm right behind ya icon_wink.gif

I'm amused by the discussion of what constitutes physically placing the bug. Esp. the part about not considering putting a bug in and then taking it back out as "physically" placing it icon_smile.gif Doesn't sound like you could really interpret that any other way.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

Here is a breakdown of where the Racers are from

CA-17 NJ-1

CT-1 NM-1

FL-2 NV-1

HI-1 NY-16

IL-2 OH-1

IW-1 PA-3

KS-1 SC-1

KY-1 TN-2

MA-3 TX-1

MI-1 UT-1

NB-1 VA-7

NC-1 WA-3

Hope the state codes are right, but you should be able to figure it out. The mid-west has a pretty poor showing, hope we help better than we enter.

quote:
Originally posted by ict X ckr:

I assumed some sort of "race tag" would be attached to the bug I sent in, identifying it as a participant in this event. This would be an easy task, just a manila tag with a stamp or a brass tag with some marking on it added as an official endorsement of entering.

This would have also eliminated the worry of picking up a racer unintentionally, as all would be identified. Not to mention a nifty item to place in your geocache treasure box when returned.

I really like that idea, and I would not be opposed to an entry fee either. Thanks for compiling the stats for where all the travelbugs are from too - that was interesting to see.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GeoDillo:

There is obviously no way anyone can know whether the bug was every physically in the cache or not, but come on, do you really think they pulled the travel bug out of their backpack, placed it into the Ziploc bag and into the container, put the container back into it’s spot and then pulled it back out and opened it up and placed the travel bug in the backpack again? Get Real.

Sure do, they probly had it in the side pocket along with the list of all racers to refer too icon_biggrin.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

As far as a qualifying vehicle for the run mine IS. It just happens to be 2D. That is Jack in the car window and the antenna ball is just riding along. Just couldn't find the cars antenna.

Cycyclist icon_cool.gif

I'm in need of direction, I can't see the satelites for the trees there.

I think it is my turn to thank all of you, I have enjoyed observing the forums almost as much as I have enjoyed creating the race! There doesn't seem to be a real need for me to watch them however since as soon as someone asks a question the answers are posted clearly by excerpt from a previous reply. You folks are making this almost too easy for me!! I never in a million years expected this kind of participation for a Travel Bug Race, just didn't seem to be all that much interest in TB's. Guess I was majorly wrong on that point.

Anyways the whole point of this post is to tell you all that as of the termination of this race the whole CannonBall Run TB Race will be turned over in total to the New York State Geocaching Organization (NYGO). I will still be involved as will most of the others who are currentlyworking on this project, however the Organization will have the ability to solict sponsors and donations of prizes etc...under their not-for-profit status.

Hopefully the race will continue to evolve and grow under their ownership.

quote:

CA-17 NJ-1

CT-1 NM-1

FL-2 NV-1

HI-1 NY-16

IL-2 OH-1

IW-1 PA-3

KS-1 SC-1

KY-1 TN-2

MA-3 TX-1

MI-1 UT-1

NB-1 VA-7

NC-1 WA-3

Hope the state codes are right, but you should be able to figure it out. The mid-west has a pretty poor showing, hope we help better than we enter.

The Screamin' Gogomobile is from the (mostly) sunny state of AZ. icon_cool.gif

Screamin' through a state near you real soon!

I met a great pair of geocachers '96 Olympic-Volunteer & Siggy at Rock and Roll ,Twist and Shout Cache yesterday that were putten the miles on Oscar’s Express travel bug in the cannon ball race and I wish it and them all the luck in the world of getting there first. ……………….. JOE

quote:
I met a great pair of geocachers '96 Olympic-Volunteer & Siggy at Rock and Roll ,Twist and Shout Cache yesterday that were putten the miles on Oscar’s Express travel bug

You didn't happen to notice if Oscar was actually placed into the cache, the cache replaced, retrieved again, and the TB removed after coming to a full and complete stop? j/k icon_smile.gif

WOW this is a tough crowd, lighten up its just a game, and yes he went in and came out.

They were going to take a picture of Oscar in the cache but I would not allow it, this is a 5 difficulty cache and did not want hints on the web, so I let them take a picture of me with Oscar. Look at the bugs page.

Caching for Life or Divorce which ever comes first

What does j/k mean? Just kidding?

And I thought that there was a fun spirit to this race. The fun is in hearing the life brought to the TB's as they race from one cache to another being picked up by different cachers. For others it seems to be just a mechanical venture to get there come hell or high water.

Yea there is a personal satisfaction to winning a race but for some it seems to be as mechanical as pushing the button to activate the hydraulic compactor. There was a Wham Bam analogy that came to mind but this is a family channel.

I wish to have fun in this race simply by watching each TB racer come to life with the dialog entered by the transporters.

Lets keep the spirit of this race alive...Hey, My racer went forward 85 miles and then proceeded to travel backwards 60 miles. Other TB's it seems think Newfoundland is their destination.

Keep it light? yea we can.

Try not to keep it so sterile. oh yea, gar...oh, never mind that thought.

Cycyclist

I pulled the information from the intermediate page and knew I missed a couple because they weren't on the list, but didn't take the time to look for all the missing info. Adding you to the list of folks from the states between Ohio and California makes a pretty big increase in percentages but is still dang few people. Good luck on the journey.

quote:
WOW this is a tough crowd, lighten up its just a game

I thought I was trying to lighten up by making light of the protests/questions regarding TB that were logged in and out. That's what the smiley and the "j/k" were for. Too bad there's no "tongue-in-cheek" icon. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

*** Get a grip, they're Hot Wheels cars with silly little tags, for cry-eye!!! ***

quote:
Originally posted by Cache'N'Carry:
Too bad there's no "tongue-in-cheek" icon. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

*** Get a grip, they're Hot Wheels cars with silly little tags, for cry-eye!!! ***

I think that smilie is [:^)]

cycyclist (I'm with ya Cache N carry)

quote:
Originally posted by junglehair:

Where is Geo and his interception skills when we need him? Any ideas how we can get Oscar's Express to take an "accidental" detour? icon_razz.gif

All we need to do is remove Oscar's metamucil....he'll then ummmmm GET COMPACTED

ok ok I'll shut up now frog.gificon_razz.gif

quote:

CA-17 NJ-1

CT-1 NM-1

FL-2 NV-1

HI-1 NY-16

IL-2 OH-1

IW-1 PA-3

KS-1 SC-1

KY-1 TN-2

MA-3 TX-1

MI-1 UT-1

NB-1 VA-7

NC-1 WA-3

Woo Hoo! I have the only racer from New Mexico! icon_smile.gif

bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

quote:

CA-17 NJ-1

CT-1 NM-1

FL-2 NV-1

HI-1 NY-16

IL-2 OH-1

IW-1 PA-3

KS-1 SC-1

KY-1 TN-2

MA-3 TX-1

MI-1 UT-1

NB-1 VA-7

NC-1 WA-3

Woo Hoo! I have the only racer from New Mexico! icon_smile.gif

Don't forget that poor soul in Az.

AND look at the participation from the extremes!!! YESSSSSSSSS

What happened to the pond hopping bug?

quote:
Originally posted by Cache'N'Carry:

quote:
Any ideas how we can get Oscar's Express to take an "accidental" detour?

Does anyone have any friends in the Department of Defense who might be able to get GPS satellite coverage for Central Tennessee turned off? icon_biggrin.gif

If Oscar is still headed through TN, maybe I can.. Ummm... not me, but maybe some non-racing cacher like Chuckie can help Oscar get to Alabama or something. icon_wink.gif

quote:
If Oscar is still headed through TN, maybe I can.. Ummm... not me, but maybe some non-racing cacher like Chuckie can help Oscar get to Alabama or something. icon_wink.gif

Hmm.. I'm fixing to head east today on busniess... (As far a Nashville) Where is it at?

Did all 9 of the TBs still on the Byrncliff Event Gathering page leave with the same person?? Or are there multiple bug holders that haven't been able to reach a computer? icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Brogan:

I promise that any bugs not grabbed off the event page by this Fri 03-14-03, I will personally e-mail the cacher in posession and GENTLY nudge them into doing so.... As for the webpage stuff I don't dare complain to anyone since I am not capable of the programming necessary to do this, but I will whine and cry a bit for us all.

Looks like some wants to waylay Oscar and use the “rules” to do it, “in the spirit of the race” of course. icon_rolleyes.gif I guess that is to be expected for anyone out in front of the pack. No problem!! icon_razz.gif I have been staying within the rules of this race. Let’s see what rules the NYGO develops for next year!!

Right now I am playing by the rules as specified by Brogan in the posts and on the rules web page site as best that I can interpret. You can also tell by the category awards for the race that this is to be all in fun, like going through the fewest number of caches or directionally impaired. icon_confused.gif

Seems to me that some owners need to stop picking on Oscar and prepare and defend yourselves for the trip down the road. icon_cool.gif

Check it out, none of us has a snowballs chance in.... the CA desert! Speaking of allowable interference, has anyone looked at the number of racers from CA? Last I saw there were 17. Can anyone spell blockade on the fault line? icon_eek.gif Their friends are probably out there right now, waiting for the rest of us to enter their territory. It just might be an advantage to some of us to see what they will do with the first one to arrive in CA, like the lonely ole Oscar, icon_frown.gif or maybe one of yours! icon_eek.gif They are going to use the rules in the “spirit of the race” to whack us a good one. Heck, Oscar’s route, at this point in time, takes him up the middle of the state while you think your racer can sneak in from another direction without being noticed. Right, like that’s going to happen! icon_wink.gif Better to make a plan and enlist some help, rather than let your racer just float free from cache to cache with a strong chance of being picked up by all the non-CannonBall California cachers in the world. icon_eek.gif They are going to have open season on CannonBall TB’s sooner or later.

Within the spirit of caching and the race, I have contacted cachers from other states to help my racer along and they had agreed to assist. It was nice to meet some cachers from other states like Team SueShe, and the Lyndon Road Gang. It was good to meet JoGPS on a chance meeting. I have contacted additional cachers in states along Oscar”s planned route and have heard from many of them. I hope to meet some of them soon. With others I will just have to have email exchanges. They are too far to drive to so I will have to let Oscar go at some point! Now, isn’t that one part of the idea of GEOcaching?? Sharing tales and meeting folks.

Also, Oscar made a special stop in Nashville to pickup an old friend, which is now attached to his side to honor the troops protecting our country. Check out his photo. He now races with them in mind too! And, he challenges all other racers to do the same. That’s Spirit. icon_wink.gif

Thanks, '96 Olympic-Volunteer & Siggy

[This message was edited by '96 Olympic-Volunteer & Siggy on March 21, 2003 at 06:04 PM.]

El Diablo has been stuck at the starting line since the start of the race. The last known sighting is in this photo

1139457_1500.jpg

The little red 4X4 with the bull horns. Middle right.

Where abouts unknown for some time now.

Soon to be seen on a milk carton near you.

The suspects....

1139457_400.jpg

If you see these people, stop them for questioning, one of them may know there where abouts of the missing bug.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

The Leprechauns have made their first long-distance dash to grab Cannonball racing bugs. There were just too many travelers logjammed up in Erie! We took five bugs out of four different caches, leaving plenty more bugs for other cachers who want to join in the fun. The following bugs moved from Erie to Pittsburgh today:

Cannonball Run Pace Car

Michael Schumacher's Ferrari F2001

Racing Pika Bug

The Big Yellow Bus

Whidbey Flyer

Some of these bugs will move west into Ohio, others will be placed in the Pittsburgh area so that other Pittsburgh cachers can have some fun. One of these bugs will be taking a slight detour. icon_biggrin.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

Originally posted by georgeandmary:

El Diablo has been stuck at the starting line since the start of the race. The last known sighting is in this photo

george

Aha -- I know the culprit! It seems that most of the remaining bugs are in that picture, and it looks to have been taken after the event was over. I know that her and her dad picked up many of the bugs at the gathering. There weren't many of us there as you can see by the picture, and lots of travelbugs to go out. I suspect that they just haven't had time to place them all. I will personally email him (name withheld to protect the innocent) and ask him to at least log them as being in his possession. Hopefully that will get the remaining bugs off the starting line.

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

[This message was edited by junglehair on March 22, 2003 at 06:48 AM.]

quote:

I suspect that they just haven't had time to place them all.

Place? I would be thrilled if whoever has it (the camera center backrow of photo #1), would log it into their possession.

quote:
I will personally email him (name withheld to protect the innocent) and ask him to at least log them as being in his possession.

Please Do.

quote:

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

[This message was edited by junglehair on March 22, 2003 at 06:48 AM.]

This is Way too cute.....LOL

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

What does the night crawler look like? There is no picture on the travelbug page.

I sent the email off to the cacher that I suspect has the other travelbugs that are still sitting on the event page. I'll let you know what I hear back from him. I wouldn't be too worried - he is a die-hard cacher like the rest of us, so I'm sure he will get things posted ASAP. icon_smile.gif

-Junglehair

quote:

What does the night crawler look like?

He is a green caterpillar with yellow spots. His nose lights up when squeezed.

I appreciate any help you can provide with your e-mailing.

Thanks

Night Hunter

usacoolflag.gif

If Wyle E. Coyote could afford all that ACME stuff... Why didn't he just buy DINNER?

quote:
Originally posted by Night Hunter:

He is a green caterpillar with yellow spots. His nose lights up when squeezed.

Ah yes - I remember seeing him there - I even gave him a little squeeze. I would have grabbed him myself if it weren't against the rules - I have a bug entered in the race too (Captain America). I'll see what I can dig up about him.

-Junglehair

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=5867 has been stuck at the starting line since the start of the race. The last known sighting is in this photo

The little red 4X4 with the bull horns. Middle right.

Where abouts unknown for some time now.

Soon to be seen on a milk carton near you.

The suspects....

If you see these people, stop them for questioning, one of them may know there where abouts of the missing bug.

Yes and mine is in the back next to the camera too. I've been thinking of renaming Speed & Cache to Slow and Missing.

Thanks for letting me see the last known picture.

-Junglehair

Very funny indeed! I laughed so hard, I almost forgot about my poor Pride Of Brock Yates still stuck at the starting line. I actually shed a tear when I saw him on the far right in the picture above. Does anyone remember him? Is he with the The Night Crawler (aka NTKRWLR)? They are good friends and like to travel together. Anyone who can help will be repaid generously with copious amounts of KoolAid! icon_wink.gif