ANNOUNCING THE 1ST ANNUAL TRAVELBUG CANNONBALL RUN!

Brogan

Any owner that had sent a bug with mileage already on it was contacted to remove the mileage, simply because several of the awards are distance related. Seems we now have a better reason to do it now. So all you racers out there with mileage on your bugs, need to delete those logs now.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GeoDillo:

I like the idea of "most miles traveled" but if you want to do that, be aware that some people placed their bugs in their own cache before Brogan "grabbed" them and therefore have already logged substantial miles. Maybe those users should be notified to delete their previous logs so that all the bugs start out with 0 miles.

Scott

Most travelled doesn't really tell you much. A bug can travel pretty far in the wrong direction but it doesn't mean it's winning the race. You need something that has miles to the finish line.

A bug may make a jump of 200 miles but it may only put them 20 miles closer to the finishline.

Now I'm using a recycled bug tag from a bug that met it's goal and ended up in a friend's hands. If I go back a delete all those logs then the bug will disapear from the pages of those geocachers who helped it along it's first mission. I really don't think that's right.

It wouldn't be hard to figure out how far my bug had travelled, I just take it's current distance and subtract it from the total.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:

Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Most travelled doesn't really tell you much. A bug can travel pretty far in the wrong direction but it doesn't mean it's winning the race.

It tells ME alot. Lets say your bug and my bug are entered into the Pheromone cache by the same cacher at the same time, but your bug was in the hands of 75 different cachers and traveled 13,000 miles whereas my bug was only touched by 20 cachers and only traveled 4500 miles. I'd say that your bug had a pretty impressive experience (as also indicated by the number of logs) to make it to the finishing line at the same time as mine, but be handled by more people and traveled many more miles. I assume the number of people who handle your bug is important to you by the fact that you don't want to delete your previous logs.

quote:
You need something that has miles to the finish line.

I totally agree.

quote:
Now I'm using a recycled bug tag from a bug that met it's goal and ended up in a friend's hands. If I go back a delete all those logs then the bug will disapear from the pages of those geocachers who helped it along it's first mission. I really don't think that's right.

I just assumed that everyone was using a new tag and when I used my second account to watch all the racing bugs, I noticed some already had traveled several thousand miles before they even started the race.

George, I don't want you to lose your previous bug logs and miles. However, I'm no progammer but it may make it a bit more difficult to write the script that always has to subtract out your bug's previous mileage. Are there any other racing bugs out there using recycled tags?

...your mileage may vary

Scott

Anyone interested in working on the cannonball run website, please email me seperately at dekaner@kkf2a.com.

Based on my own workings and what I have read here on the forum, I think I have a plan that will work, but I'd rather not clutter the forum trying to figure out the details.

Thanks!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

quote:
Originally posted by Team GeoDillo:

George, I don't want you to lose your previous bug logs and miles. However, I'm no progammer but it may make it a bit more difficult to write the script that always has to subtract out your bug's previous mileage. Are there any other racing bugs out there using recycled tags?

...your mileage may vary

Scott

I've already mentioned to Brogan that I don't care about any milage awards. I'm interested in winning.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Okay, right now I have a program that will create a .csv (comma seperated value?) file which can be imported to MS Streets&Trips. Assuming my watch list has all the racing bugs, they should all be marked on the map as of the last cache they were in.

Currently, the information provided (available in the S&T Information bubble) is bug name, bug URL and cache URL...though I'm still playing around with that seeing what info is most useful.

One thing I'm missing compared to the previously posted map is having different icons for each bug. You can set individual icons by hand, but I haven't seen a way to specify an icon in the .csv file. Anyone know if this is possible?

quote:
Okay, right now I have a program that will create a .csv (comma seperated value?) file which can be imported to MS Streets&Trips. Assuming my watch list has all the racing bugs, they should all be marked on the map as of the last cache they were in.

Currently, the information provided (available in the S&T Information bubble) is bug name, bug URL and cache URL...though I'm still playing around with that seeing what info is most useful.

One thing I'm missing compared to the previously posted map is having different icons for each bug. You can set individual icons by hand, but I haven't seen a way to specify an icon in the .csv file. Anyone know if this is possible?

this sounds greart...but I have a question, I have Rand McNally trip Maker(1996 SE), will this program work with it? And how about for those who DOn't have Any Map program??

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

I know it's a little late, but I just saw the project, and thought I'd give it a shot - Also, it seems that there isnt much headway happening for it.

Here is what i was thinking. The project has two distinct parts...

1) Pulling out the current coordinate information for a cache. Since we know that they're all starting in the same spot, we have the first coordinate. We periodically run a program that downloads the source for the each TBug page, and parses through looking for either "Recently spotted: In geocache" or "Recently spotted: In the hands of". If it finds "in the hands of", it marks the bug as traveling, and leaves the record alone. If it finds "In geocache" then, it follows the link to the cache page, and pulls out the current coordinates, and updates the entry in a database or text file.

1a - ok, so i lied, but this is a subpoint of 1) The coordinates are then converted into decimal degrees. If you take the furthest point of the US in all directions, and log these decimal degree waypoints, you can use them to find out what percentage into the us east a given tbug is, and what percentage south it is. - This information is also written to the DB/.txt.

2) Using flash (maybe).. you read in the percentages and convert this to a percentage in pixels of a map. Then, if you make a symbol (or instance of) for each tbug, you can set the X&Y location properties of the symbol to overlay the top of the map.

This creates a dynamic system where the map is updated automatically by running a single program. This program could be run every few hours via crond, or windows task scheduling.

I'm working on the app to pull out the coordinates right now. Process is a little slow as this is also my first VB program (i'm mostly a design guy). Currently I am able to process wether or not is traveling, but having a hard time getting the source of a cache page. It seems to want to load up http://www.geocaching.com/hideandseek instead. Once i can get the cache page, all that is left is to write to a file, and figure out how to convert from degree-minute-second format to decimal degrees.

Let me know what you (anyone who understands what i'm talking about) think. Any help would be most appreciated. I'm not sure if the whole system will work or not; I'm most sketchy about the flash bit, as I havent really ever done much actionscript.

~Cheek

It seems like we're all talking about the same issues. Rather than having everyone design their own thing, lets work collectively to get the job done.

I've already had some communication with Egnix and Junglehair (who creates GIS maps for a living). Egnix seems to have a good handle on how to pull all the information together automatically, which we can feed to a mapping program manually. (It's important to keep in mind that we're talking about 70 bugs and a map can become very cluttered very quickly.)

I'd encourage anyone else who wants to lend a hand to email me at dekaner@kkf2a.com so we can start pulling things together. Thanks!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

quote:
Originally posted by Cheek:

I know it's a little late, but I just saw the project, and thought I'd give it a shot - Also, it seems that there isnt much headway happening for it.

Guess you didn't read my previous post...

quote:

1) Pulling out the current coordinate information for a cache. Since we know that they're all starting in the same spot, we have the first

My program currently gets: bug name, bug URL, current/last cache name, current/last cache URL, current/last cache coords. It also calculates the bug's distance from the finish line. I'm open for suggestions for other bits of info to retrieve.

From there webpages can be made with all the stats. As I mentioned earlier, this info can also be used to plot the bugs in Streets&Trips.

Why not get in contact with Dekaner so we can pool resources and not duplicate efforts?

quote:
Originally posted by geo-Packrat:

this sounds greart...but I have a question, I have Rand McNally trip Maker(1996 SE), will this program work with it? And how about for those who DOn't have Any Map program??

Sorry...I tend to be too terse. icon_biggrin.gif

I think the idea is for both a map and the raw data (for use in other apps) will be made available on a website.

I just bought the current version of Trip Maker...I'll see what import abilities it has...

Egnix wrote:

quote:
One thing I'm missing compared to the previously posted map is having different icons for each bug

If you're talking about my manually built MapPoint map, I did that by giving placing each bug in its own 'data set'. Each data set contained one pushpin and its own default icon for all 1 pushpins in that set.

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."

egnix,

Do you have a copy of this program available? What is it written in? Could i take a look at the source code? How is the data output set up? Into a text file -- CSV or tab delimited?

Do you currently have it set up to run frequently to keep updated information? Do you have some sample output I can play with?

Sorry for all the questions; i must have missed your previous post.

~CHeek

Cheek,

As I said in a previous post, it's currently spitting out a CSV file to be imported by MS Streets&Trips. So it's in the format of "", "","", etc.

The code (written in C, but may move to C++) is way too much of mess right now to share.

It's still very much in development. Haven't gotten to the automation yet.

Basically, Where is it? Is there a separate page I can refer people to on my bug that they can check out the details? Or is it only the cache page?

Also, is there a quick summation of the rules and goal somewhere? I* couldn't find it, if soi. Sorry.

BTW I have my bug coming y7our way soon. (Probably priority/express maiul on Monday!)

B.

PocketPC Guy

Check out www.warrenmurphy.com for new releases and "The Assassin's Handbook". It's back after 20 years!!

As I read through the posts, I wondered why not do a website/page similar to the way thatCBS does the Amazing Race website, or like Survivor does the graphs for the 16 different survivors. Why not create "groups" of 16 instead of tracking all 70 TB's on one page. Allow the user looking at the webpage to click upto 16 radio buttons to track the paths of the TB's. These are just a few ideas to help unclutter the map problem....

Kirk out.

After a week stuck in the house with a bad cold, I finally got out to priority mail my bug to JPAC. Here is "Give Peace A Chance"

PeaceBug_01.JPG

Ok, so it's not a vehicle, I have never been considered to be like others. I've always been a bit independent. But hey, give peace a chance!

Please and thank you.

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

..Any idea how long it takes for a TBug to show up as in brogan's posession? I sent it priority, and the delivery confirmation says it got there yesterday. No change on the bug page, tho. (OK, I know, I know... He's probably busy. But the winning bug HAS to be entered!)

Later,

B.

Check out www.warrenmurphy.com for new releases and "The Assassin's Handbook". It's back after 20 years!!

This will be interesting to see how all these bugs actually move from the area... that's alot of bugs! I'd love to make it up there for the event but realistically it's just not going to happen... a bit to far. Let me toss in my Thanks also to the folks working to put this together and allowing us to share the fun with the tracking website. Looking forward to getting the race underway.

beta page: Dekaner is doing the web site. I've been waiting for about a week now for him to give me the database table info...so I'd be surprised to see a beta site. (nudge nudge to Dekaner: I could use the table info! icon_razz.gif)

bugs recently sent to Brogan: Brogan has told me that the last batch of bugs will be logged Friday night. If the bug doesn't arrive by friday it won't make it to the Byrncliff event.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

The bugs will be launched tomorrow. Any bets on who is going to make it out of state first?

First one to be logged into another cache?

MINE. and I'll put up a coupon for a hamburger.

Whata ya mean Jacks coupons are no good in NY???? icon_biggrin.gif

bicycle, recycle, re-create or recreate ... your choice. Hey, do em all

I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this...but I do... icon_frown.gif

To those of you who have non-alphanumeric charachers (i.e. anything other than numbers and letters) in your bug's name... you may not get your stats on the stats/tracking site.

Right now parsing out extra stuff in bug names is super low priority. If time permits when everything else is working I may look at this again, but for now I'm removing non-compliant bugs from my list.

(Remember, this is just for the stats/tracking site. This isn't removing any bug from the race.)

If your bug has extra stuff in its name and you correct it, please email me so I can add it back in.

Thanks.

Just got back from a trip to PA...As of now all bugs in my posession are logged on the Bryncliff Event Gathering Page (GCCD3A) any late arrivals will have to go out from one of my local caches. Final Count is 71. (not too bad as I was expecting only around a dozen) Tomorrows event should prove interesting, looks like we are finally going to have some nice weather around here and hopefully a good turnout of cachers.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this race, from the programmer(s) who are creating the tracking page, everyone who helped to hammer out the rules, all the entrants who make the race a race, and anyone else that I may have inadvertantly missed. THANK YOU ALL!!

Brogan

This will probably be my last post before the race starts so I thought I'd give a heads up on what I know about the stats/tracking page...

I've been working with Dekaner on this. My part retrieves the raw data and Dekaner's part throws stats/etc. on a web page. Things are looking great on my end, but I've heard very little from Dekaner.

So...it's looking like it will be at least a couple days before there's anything to look at. But don't worry, we won't be losing any historical data.

[This message was edited by Egnix on March 07, 2003 at 05:23 PM.]

Dekaner will be attending the event today....I will personally give him a sound "trashing" about the head and neck.

I'm sure that the page will be avalible before any of the contectants have made more than one or two changes in position. As previously noted, none of the "historical" information will be lost. Please keep in mind that this is the first time anyone has tried this and there are bound to be a few minor problems. Everyone should still get their normal updates on their own bugs (and those on your watch list) via Geocaching.com

I'll be uploading photos of all the bugs as soon as the page is ready.

Once again Thanks to all who have participated and/or contributed in any way!

Start your engines!!! And may the best bug win. Good luck to everyone. I'll be waiting for you at the finish line. icon_wink.gif I hope. I'm so excited, I've never been in a race before!

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

Had a good time at the Byrncliff Gathering. The "Pace Car" is on it's way. Let the race begin. icon_biggrin.gif Should be a good time watching the progress of the race. Good luck to all the participants. icon_wink.gif

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

Well, based on the conversation I had with Dekaner and about how he planned on 'helping' my racer out... lol. I'm not betting on the MiGO Racer. But anyone who can get Dekaner's racer (if any) into Michigan. Let me know. I'm sure I can pull some strings with MiGO to make sure it spends a LONG time in Michigan. icon_wink.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif