ANNOUNCING THE 1ST ANNUAL TRAVELBUG CANNONBALL RUN!

Brogan

quote:
Originally posted by Brogan:

Bugs are allowed to travel only one state at a time (states must share a common border )

Bugs must be physically placed in a cache in each state visited.

Does this mean someone driving west could pick up a racer(s) and go on a road trip? And as long as they stop at a cache in each state, it would be within the rules right? icon_confused.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

quote:

Bugs are allowed to travel only one state at a time (states must share a common border )

Bugs must be physically placed in a cache in each state visited.

Does this mean someone driving west could pick up a racer(s) and go on a road trip? And as long as they stop at a cache in each state, it would be within the rules right? icon_confused.gif

I'm reading it that since the bug must be physically placed in the cache, that the placer shouldn't really then take it right back out again.

But I could be wrong as I have known to be in the past. icon_eek.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

My hobby? Tromping through the underbrush looking for Tupperware containers.

How big is the average size cache? Will my racing Bug fit? How big a T-Bug should one enter? Do large bugs move faster than small ones? (Does size really matter?) icon_wink.gif

I was going to enter my model Jag as a racing bug, but there seemed to be too much confusion coming from the other postees. Then I thought I would enter anyway 'cause, Hey, it's just a game. Then I realized I would probably be too late to enter, then I read that the starting date was moved back. Then I found that there was a run on T-Bug tags and ground speak was out of 'em for a while. Then I received the 8-pack I ordered a long time ago and forgot about. icon_razz.gif

So now I have to make up my mind, would I want to go to California, stopping in every state to register my racing bug at a cache just to win a contest??? Is that cheating? What if I gave all the other bugs a lift too, just to be fair? icon_cool.gif

quote:
All that wander are not lost!

Captain Walker, Frodo & the gang

Dark River Rangers, Florida Co.

My Racing Travel Bug Rules! Like Brogan, I'll be entering the race... I will count my entry as not able to win due to my roll. But it still rules and I'm sure it's wired to get to Pheromone first. icon_biggrin.gif Pictures to follow.

FYI, T-Bug Tags are still available and you can get them in a 3 day rush! The clock is ticking but you still have time to get in.

The finish line has been drawn and all is ready at this end.

Now, who's working on a web site to track this race?? icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Lyra:

In deciding what my entry should be, I took a gander at the other entrants described in the thread and realized that speed and weaponry are the winning combination. I am hereby announcing the entry of...The F-16 is probably the most effective multi-purpose aircraft in the military. Capable of Mach 2 at altitude and equipped with a multi-barrel .20 caliber cannon...

Congrats on your winning entry! icon_wink.gif Was it worth the 19 MILLIONS icon_eek.gif dollar price tag? icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

As promised, here are some updates for the race.

First we have settled on a start point for the race, it will be an event at Bryncliff Resort in Varysburg, NY. watch for a soon to come Event Listing.

Second, Dekaner has gratiously offered to create a webpage for the race and is currently working on it, we'll be sure to let you all know as soon as it is completed.

Third, the original rules state that bugs can move only one state at a time, and the state must share a common border. Since Canada is a country and not a state it is ruled out. However if your bug for some reason should enter Canada or some other country it can still complete the race as long as it picks up from the last state it was in.

Fourth, I see nothing wrong with someone traveling cross country logging their bug in a cache in each state along the way, Sounds like a rather expensive proposition, and who out of us really has that kind of time anyways? Even if I choose to rule this out it won't stop someone from using multiple user names to accomplish the same thing. This may be something that gets changed in future races though.

And lastly I have begun grabbing bugs from your inventory lists and holding them under the user name CannonBall Run (my own little sock puppet name).

I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this race, either by racing, helping to set up webpages, hashing out rules, pointing out possible problems, or a multitude of other things. Your help is vastly appreciated.

Brogan

quote:
Fourth, I see nothing wrong with someone traveling cross country logging their bug in a cache in each state along the way, Sounds like a rather expensive proposition, and who out of us really has that kind of time anyways?

Probly no one, I asked because I see it as possiable that during this race, at least one of the racers could get picked up by some cacher driving west. So it would be nice to figure out before it can if this is ok.

I agree that it is possible for someone to do this and would be very surprised if someone hasn't already been checking with their "caching buddies" across the country trying to plan the perfect route to take advantage of this. As I said above, even if I make a rule against it, there are ways around it.

We've said right from the beginning this is going to be a learning experience for us all, so let's just race and see what we learn!

quote:
Originally posted by CannonBall Run:

I agree that it is possible for someone to do this and would be very surprised if someone hasn't already been checking with their "caching buddies" across the country trying to plan the perfect route to take advantage of this. As I said above, even if I make a rule against it, there are ways around it.

We've said right from the beginning this is going to be a learning experience for us all, so let's just race and see what we learn!

It's not like it's a life or death adventure our there. Now if the prize were $1,000 or so, then you might see some quick calls to my friends across the country. icon_wink.gif

My hope is that the bugs will hip hop over each other on their way across the country. I think it would be very anti-climatic to see one bug make it across the country in five days while all the rest of the bugs were still in New York. icon_rolleyes.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

The winner isn't the end of this game from my POV. As long as I don't come in last... I'll be happy. Heck. Even if I come in last, I'll be happy.

If there's a winner in a week, I'd hope we would continue to watch the rest of the entrants for a while. At least until the top 10 finish.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

If there's a winner in a week, I'd hope we would continue to watch the rest of the entrants for a while. At least until the top 10 finish.

How about additional winning categories other than first place?

Here are some suggestions...

1) First to finish carried by a unique cacher in each state.

2) travelbug with most miles by the time they reach finish line.

3) travelbug with most handlers by the time they reach finish line.

4) first travelbug to make it to the graveyard aka... first travelbug left in a cache that was then plundered.

5) unluckiest travelbug. Guess we'd have to vote on this one.

6) travelbug in the race with the highest number of caches found if you total the caches found by each geocacher handling the bug.

7) highest total of difficulty/terrain stars for a finishing bug if you total the stars for each cache the bug was left in and then picked up by another geocacher.

Thoughts on these or any additional categories?

--- yrium ---

I'll be happy enough if my bug finishes at all icon_smile.gif LOL. I fully expect to /lose/ the race. But I think it's a really great idea so I want to compete. If my bug can get there without going MIA... to me... I've won icon_wink.gif

I'd just like to see every bug tracked from start-->finish or start-->MIA. Any bug that makes it there is a winner in my book.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

I had already figured on a trophy for the fastest time (aka Winner). And a bunch of certificates for other thing as mentioned above, but you've come up with a couple I hadn't thought of!

I agree with Trippy, anyone who races and finishes is a winner, my only hope is that we don't have ANY bugs go MIA during this race.

Looking ahead to the 2nd Annnual CannonBall Run I think it would be interesting to not only race the other entrants but to try and beat the best time post from the previous race(s). That's when I think you will see people makes phone calls and sending e-mails trying to get those bugs moving...

Brogan

The original start date WAS Feb 8.

However Groundspeak was unable to ship tags quickly via PayPal for a period of time and the decision was made to push the start date back one month to MARCH 8th, any racers received after this date will be released immediately in one of my caches. The upside of all this is that the hopefully some of the 2-3 ft of snow in this area will have melted and the local cachers will be a bit more active and your bugs will get off to a faster start.

quote:

More and more cachers chiming in with their intentions of sending bugs for this race, last count is 28.

How do you plan on getting all of those bugs in one cache at one time? icon_confused.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

quote:
How do you plan on getting all of those bugs in one cache at one time?

Webfoot

Here is the answer, from earlier in this thread.

quote:

First we have settled on a start point for the race, it will be an event at Bryncliff Resort in Varysburg, NY. watch for a soon to come Event Listing.

Brogan

However, I just checked, and there is nothing in NY on the calendar for March 8.....yet.

"It's free advice and worth every cent."

quote:
Originally posted by targetdrone:

quote:

Brogan

However, I just checked, and there is nothing in NY on the calendar for March 8.....yet.

So, the bugs will be 'handed out' at this event?

quote:
Originally posted by targetdrone:

quote:
How do you plan on getting all of those bugs in one cache at one time?

Webfoot

Here is the answer, from earlier in this thread.

quote:

Brogan

Thanks Targetdrone and Welch. I guess I didn't look deep enough into this thread. icon_redface.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif