ANNOUNCING THE 1ST ANNUAL TRAVELBUG CANNONBALL RUN!

Brogan

It's finally ready to roll folks!

The first annual TravelBug CannonBall Run is ready to go. Here's how it will work:

First make up your TravelBug, any vehicle is acceptable.

Second send it to me via snail mail at:

J Pac

1242 Graff Rd

Attica, NY

All Bugs will be "grabbed" from their owners and held until the release.

If you want your bug mailed back to you at the end of the race include a prepaid mailing envelope with correct postage from the end cache.

Any bugs without prepaid mailers will be

re-released without their race tags.

Third, sit back and wait for the release. ( currently expected at the end of Jan.)

The rules are simple: Any type of vehicle is appropriate, you can write any type of instructions on the cards that you like.

All bugs will be released at one gathering any late arrivals will be released as soon as possible in one of my own caches.

Bugs are allowed to travel only one state at a time (states must share a common border )

Bugs must be physically placed in a cache in each state visited.

Everything else is fair! You can ask local cachers to help you out by moving your bug along, or by delaying someone elses! In the spirit of the original race, interference is suggested!

Any disputes will be handled in open forum on this page.

Start point for this race will be from the Buffalo NY area ( hopefully Akron Falls Park)

End Cache is supplied by the Green Achers and is aptly named:

Pheromone

N37 44.100 W 121 09.902

WGS84

please take the time to look at the cache page before sending your bug. ( BTW thank you Green Achers!!!!!!)

Just as an aside: I am entering this race also, however I am submitting the Pace Car and am NOT eligible to win.

Winner of the race will receive a engraved trophy and bragging rights as the winner of the First Annual TB CannonBall Run!

>Any bugs without prepaid mailers will be

>Bugs are allowed to travel only one state at a time (states must share a common border )

What happens if a state is skipped accidentally? (Someone picks one up on a trip and doesn't read the rules until they're back home; etc.)

>Everything else is fair! You can ask local cachers to help you out by moving your bug along,

>or by delaying someone elses! In the spirit of the original race, interference is suggested!

I'm not sure I like this. Does tossing bugs in the trash count as suggested interference?

I just went to the Pheromone page and read the first (and only) log... It says (read the cache description to understand my concern): "I put in the Cactus Jack TB and logged in. There was no flag to put up, so...I didn't put it up!"

Sounds like this person would have raised the flag if there was one to raise...which he shouldn't have since he's not dropping off a race TB.

What happens when others don't understand/know the rules and take out travel bugs that haven't been recorded?

Any bug that skips a state intentionally or not will have to backtrack to the last consecutive state (not necessarily the same cache ) and continue from that point. My suggestion here would be to make your cards as clear as possible on this point.

I would also hope that "interference" would not consist of trashing someones bug!! Please!! a little consideration for your fellow cachers!

However backtracking someones bug that happens to come under your control would seems to me to be acceptable, maybe even placing an opponents bug in some out od the way seldom visited cache....

Obviously I cannot police this race extensively so you are all pretty much on the honor system here.

My take on this is that the race has not started, hence no flag at the site. Only racing bugs are required to "raise the Flag" when dropping off a bug.

Perhaps the Green Achers can give a more detailed explaination. I will contact them for a forum post.

quote:
Originally posted by Brogan:

My take on this is that the race has not started, hence no flag at the site. Only racing bugs are required to "raise the Flag" when dropping off a bug.

_I_ understand how it's supposed to work. I was pointing out that the very first logger was clueless.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I'm just worried that as there's already a suprising amount of confusion over travel bugs that we're likely to see even more with this race.

Regardless, I still love the idea. I did my own travel bug race last fall and it was a blast to watch it progress.

I'll be sending you a bug, but getting it to you by the end of January may be ticky.

I like the idea, but as was expressed it might be trickey to get a bug to you by the end of Jan. I don't have any right now, so I'd have to order some, receive them, and then send them to you. If this one goes well, when might we expect the next "race"?

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

quote:

Everything else is fair! You can ask local cachers to help you out by moving your bug along, or by delaying someone elses! In the spirit of the original race, interference is suggested!

I like your idea. However the above aspect appears to be a gigantic loophole that could ruin the whole event. Short of trashing a bug, someone could simply "accidently" leave it in their pack for days, weeks, months, even forever.

banner-small.gif

Is anyone going to set up one web page so you can see all the bugs in the race and track their progress.

Or do we have to put all the bugs on the watch logs.

It'd be nice if we could see a map of progress and see who was in the lead at any moment.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by Egnix:

I just went to the Pheromone page and read the first (and only) log... It says (read the cache description to understand my concern): "I put in the Cactus Jack TB and logged in. There was no flag to put up, so...I didn't put it up!"

Sounds like this person would have raised the flag if there was one to raise...which he shouldn't have since he's not dropping off a race TB.

What happens when others don't understand/know the rules and take out travel bugs that haven't been recorded?

Greetings Racers! Everything's in order at this end (now). I ended up working a bunch of hours at the moment that was planned to be free. Please fear not.

The cache is a nice sized Ammo Box. It now has the Flag and Out-Going section. It already had a Numbered Logbook with Pens. It's a good area to end races as it's easy to get to and the T-Bugs can be accounted for on a daily bases. Our local cachers (The Central Valley Cachers - CVC) are wonderful and a couple have already offered to help as needed.

We're ready and looking forward to hearing those famous words... ''Ladies and Gentlemen, Start your T-Bugs!'' icon_biggrin.gif

PHEROMONE CACHE SITE.

Bill of Green Achers

"Why is 'Tourist Season' not mentioned in the Fish and Game Manual?"

My thought here is: that if someone is going to grab a bug and hold it, they are going to do it regardless of any rule saying that you can or can't do that. So I may as well stay as close as possible to the original CannonBall Run concept that did allow for interference and just trust in everyones sense of fun and fairplay. Just remember, "do unto others" LOL.

_I_ understand how it's supposed to work. I was pointing out that the very first logger was clueless.

QUOTE]

I do take offense, actually. Someone comes up with a great idea that can be a great project for kids and I'm going to do all I can to help make it work, rather than immediately tear it down.

Obviously, there are inherent difficulties with any new game. Caches could be boobie-trapped, too, but I don't see you posting that on every forum.

I don't see anything with this game that can't be or hasn't already been worked out. This forum is to help people rather than chew them out. I don't really care about winning, but just tracking progress of the different bugs. It'll be great fun.

SpinWebby

www.gpgeocaching.com

37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:

My thought here is: that if someone is going to grab a bug and hold it, they are going to do it regardless of any rule saying that you can or can't do that. So I may as well stay as close as possible to the original CannonBall Run concept that did allow for interference and just trust in everyones sense of fun and fairplay. Just remember, "do unto others" LOL.

I understand trying to stick close to the Cannonball Run concept. My concern is that there's already a surprising amount of confusion with the basics of travel bugs and also a surprising amount of MIA bugs (probably to do with the former concern), that to encourage hampering with a bug's journey will only make things worse.

But that just my $.02. I've lost enough bugs already. Really don't want to lose more.

quote:
Originally posted by spinwebby:

QUOTE]

I do take offense, actually. Someone comes up with a great idea that can be a great project for kids and I'm going to do all I can to help make it work, rather than immediately tear it down.

Obviously, there are inherent difficulties with any new game. Caches could be boobie-trapped, too, but I don't see you posting that on every forum.

I don't see anything with this game that can't be or hasn't already been worked out. This forum is to help people rather than chew them out. I don't really care about winning, but just tracking progress of the different bugs. It'll be great fun.

Maybe you misread my post. I said "I just went to the Pheromone page and read the first (and only) log..." I wasn't referring to your post to this thread. The first person to go to the race end cache implied that they would have raised the flag had their been one...when the cache description clearly states that the flag is only to be raised when a race participating TB is dropped off. To me, the person who logged that was clueless. I stand by my statement. Sorry if you take offense.

I'm not trying to chew anyone out. I'm just trying to help make this race as successful as possible with the least amount of confusion and lost bugs. If you think I'm out of line, read some other posts in the forum about all the lost bugs out there. Visit the Travelbug Graveyard.

quote:

The cacher was a local who knows all the other locals and if he had any questions he could have easily emailed GA.

There will be bugs in the system (pun intended) and I'm sure they'll be worked out as we go.

It's not like their is any prize money involved.

george

39570_500.jpg

But I didn't have any bug tags either. I ordered them today. Maybe you could push the start date back a little further icon_wink.gif Or maybe I'll have to whip out my little black geocaching book and bribe some NY cachers to give me a hand since it's a late start.

As far as sharing borders... what's your POV on the great lakes? Michigan only shares a land border with Indiana and Ohio (not counting the UP's border with Wisconsin... if a bug goes via the Upper Peninsula in MI it's toast) but NY and PA are right accross Lake Erie icon_smile.gif Could they skip the lake and hit MI without cheating?

Can they travel through Canada?

I just plotted a road route from Attica to Pheromone and the best route is 2713 miles icon_smile.gif Should be interesting.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

As far as risks of your tb not being helped towards its goal - as far as I've seen, that's a hazard you risk with any bug. If anyone thinks there is a way to make these bugs immune to the misdirection from people who don't read about the bugs or their goals, or from dissappearing off the face of the earth... that would be amazing. But I doubt there is any way to prevent the uninformed moving of travel bugs. It's up to you as the race car owner to do your best to label the bug well and keep on the cachers who pick it up to move it along for you.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Don't the Great Lake States actually share a common border? I was under the impression that the state borders extend out into the lake (thus actually touching at some point.) Same holds true for major rivers ie: the Mississippi the states land mass do not touch but their borders do.

Sorry folks, seems I was overeager and assumed that everyone kept a supply of tags on hand like I do!

I've moved the start of the race back to March 8th. That should give everyone plenty of time to get their tags, create a bug and get it mailed to the start point.

It will also give me time to get a site set up for tracking purposes.

Sorry if it causes anyone any problems, but it seems the best course of action.

Brogan

Take a good idea and the critics will swarm (insert mournful sigh here). It's just a game, folks! It's never been done before and it will surely have some glitches, but that can only prove to be a learning experience to be remedied by tweaking the rules for NEXT year's race.

Since there's some controversy about the interference rule, my suggestion is that it not be listed as a rule at all, thus removing the potential factor of some evildoer arbitrarily holding on to a bug merely because it's suggested. The power of suggestion is sometimes an irresistible temptation for those prone to larceny. I think it should be implicitly accepted as a possible "speedbump" that some of the bugs may hit, without anyone being able to cry foul. To that end, I think the interference factor should not even be mentioned in any of the bug pages or instruction sheets included with the bug. In fact, a prohibition of such mention may be a good rule to be added. This, of course, may be problematic in that some bugs including instructions making reference to the interference factor may have already been mailed, but a simple replacement document e-mailed to the race coordinator may resolve that.

My bug (and I feel confident in assuring all that it will surely be the winner icon_cool.gif ) will be on its way shortly! Looking forward to an exciting event!

BTW, I'd second (or third or whatever) the motion for a webpage to track the race, if it's not too much trouble.

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

quote:

Don't the Great Lake States actually share a common border? I was under the impression that the state borders extend out into the lake (thus actually touching at some point.) Same holds true for major rivers ie: the Mississippi the states land mass do not touch but their borders do.

Lakes, especially ones as large as the Great Lakes pose some problems. It's not like Lake Tahoe on the California/Nevada border where there is a clear definition between them and no third state to mess with. I'm not sure if Michigan borders Pennsylvania or not because of Lake Erie, but I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't. Probably better to go state to state, ignoring the possible problems and disputes that the lakes would bring up. icon_eek.gif

There is a way to get around the Great Lakes problem though. If the bug goes into Canada, you could skip many states all together. Ontario borders all four of the shared Great Lakes, so conceivably, a bug could start in New York, enter Ontario, Canada, and then exit in Minnesota and everything would be kosher because they border each other. Talk about getting a big jump on the competition. icon_biggrin.gif

I just attached a small 3x5 card with the text of what's on the bugs page. Check out TB SoulCatcher for the details. I covered it with clear scotch tape to make it a little water proof and to hold up better. I do this with most of my bugs as a matter of routine.

the racers or item attached is a hitchhiker. I have the 3x5 card in addition to the metal tag. Sometimes cachers are surprized finding a bug in a cache, if the bug doesn't have the 3x5 card the cacher doesn't know the bugs goals until they get back on the net. Hence some bugs are often moved in a direction opposite to where they want to go.

quote:
Originally posted by Goblin:

Metal Tag IS the Travel Bug

the racers or item attached is a hitchhiker.

I'm not sure thats correct, if you go to the track page it says that a Travel Bug is a "Hitchhiker that can be tracked at gc.com" icon_wink.gif. To me that means the item that is moving from cache to cache (the hitchhiker) is actually the travel bug icon_cool.gif.

quote:
Q. What is a Travel Bug?

A. Simply put, a Travel Bug is a new form of hitchhiker you can track on Geocaching.com. A hitchhiker is basically an item that is carried from cache to cache (or person to person) and you can follow its progress online.

Targetdrone- Very good question icon_biggrin.gif

Since there seems to be very few 'offical' rules to this race, I would think there is no real reason to require the metal tag be attached(IMO), but you might want to get it oked with the Brogan.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Hey folks they are your bugs! Do whatever you want to them that you think might increase your chances of moving faster, not getting lost, heading the right direction, whatever!

I personally will be attaching the metal tab to mine, but as long as the ID number is there for cachers to log them with I don't see where it makes a difference.

On a different note there was a little confusion on where to send the prepaid mailers if you wanted your bug mailed back to you. The answer is send it to me along with the bug and I will forward them all out to CA for the end of the race.

Brogan

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Fonz:

Folks, I don't understand what to do, let me attempt then get corrected. What I do is get a TB, send it to Brogan and attach something to the TB that instructs finders what to do with it, in terms of moving it state to state...correct?

thanks

Alfonso aka dr fonz

I think Dr. Fonz will be in shortly! icon_wink.gif

Has anyone been working on a web site to track the race?? This would be a great value to the race! icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This."

I have a copy tag off a bug that's no longer going any where. A friend of mine picked up the original and is doing something with it for now.

Newbies might want to pay attention here.

I'm going to take my tag (that has the TB#) and attach it to a toy car.

Along with the copy tag that has the bug#, I'm going to attach a laminated instruction card to tell people what the goal of this bug is.

Then I'm going to mail everything to NY for the start of the race.

You can send out a traveler, without an official TB tag on it, but it makes it a LOT harder to track. I have found travelers that were around from before TB days and they usually include a card that asks you to email the owner that you have the traveler and which cache you placed it in. Kind of a hastle. TB tags came with tracking numbers so that the site would track it for you. Even then they disapear because people don't get the idea and don't understand how to log them.

If you're going to enter the race. Make it as easy for people to move the bug as possible. Include a TB tag and some clear instructions as to what you want the bug to do and the rules of the race. The easier you make it for people, the less likely it will get lost.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:

It's finally ready to roll folks!

The first annual TravelBug CannonBall Run is ready to go. Here's how it will work:

First make up your TravelBug, any vehicle is acceptable.

The Magic School Bus is on it's way to New York. USPS said it should be there by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

My hobby? Tromping through the underbrush looking for Tupperware ? containers.

I went to the Traverse City geocaching event this weekend in Michigan and got some sweet hot wheels while there. Just gotta choose it and name it and get it in the mail. Got my tags on Thursday so nothing's stopping me but time now icon_wink.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by wimseyguy:

Scooby Doo's Xmas Mystery Machine is fully fueled and ready for whatever lies ahead. USPS will get it to Brogan later this week I hope. icon_biggrin.gif

Pictures! We want pictures! icon_biggrin.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

My hobby? Tromping through the underbrush looking for Tupperware containers.