I'm liking this "favourites" thing a lot!

Even just one day in, the favourites feature is already working really really well, I think.

I just searched on caches within 20 miles of Swindon – an area where I’m familiar with most of the good caches around at least by reputation even if I haven’t yet found them myself – and sorted it by number of favourites, and it’s clear that the “cream” is already floating to the top.

I can see this becoming invaluable when planning my caching trips, especially in areas far from home. I have always used GCVote up until now, but the problem with that was that so few people used it. This new system – although very simplistic – stands a chance of attracting far more users and therefore being a real help in identifying those “must see” caches in a new area.

People were worried before implementation that older, less visited caches might not get a fair crack of the whip with this new system, but so far, I don’t see any evidence of that. Maybe, though, that’s because only the really active/obsessed cachers have self selected to choose their favourites in the first 24 hours of the feature, and they have all found enough caches to recognise a real gem when they see one. Who knows. We will have to wait and see how it pans out, but from my point of view it’s getting a big thumbs up from me at first glance.

Plus, I had real fun going back through all my found caches and picking my favourites :) A nice trip down memory lane.

Have you guys picked yours yet? And what are your first impressions of the caches getting high numbers of votes in your area?

I can see the advantages in that, if you are visiting an area you can see which are the most enjoyable caches rather like the much missed geocachinguk website, where you could rate each cache.

The only problem is nominating the 129 candidate caches that I can chose as a Favourite. Only 93 to go - I must have found a lot of dross over the years!

Yes, I've marked a selection of our Favourites today but haven't completed it yet. It was fun looking through our list of Finds from the very start and remembering the caches. There was some small regret to note that some I would have awarded a "Favourite" status have been archived... but that's inevitable.

MrsB

I have still awarded a Favourite to archived caches - credit where credit is due.

The only downside is you earn them to fast. I would have prefered something like 1 every 25 or so.

Personally I think they have it pretty much spot on - we very rarely do serieses (I don't think that's even a word :)) and therefore we don't ramp up the numbers much - we mainly aim to find great individual caches.

If it was 1 in 25 we would only have 8 points to "spend" from the 220 caches we have found over the past three years, and we've most certainly found more than 8 caches worthy of a blue ribbon.

You don't have to spend them all, after all

I'm definitely looking forward to trying a few nearish-by caches that score highly. The score's wrong (it should be divided by the number of visitors that have logged any favourite; or, better, fixed up to be the MLE of the awesomeness percentile (but stop me, I'm waffling)) ... but still good enough to give me some clues as to what I should look into next.

Within 20 miles, I have Hippos Below for starters ...

Another positive change IMHO. I wasn't sure whether the chosen mechanism would work at first, but having thought about it and looked at some caches which have already been chosen as favourites by me and others I think it will work better than systems such as CGvote.

I also like the fact that you can see who's voted for a cache, and also that you can see which caches a particular cacher has

voted for.

All in all I like it.

It would be nice if you could see at a glance, which (if any) of your own caches had any favourite 'awards'. At the moment, the only way I can find out is to list each cache page individually, which is a bit time consuming if you have a lot.... or am I missing something obvious?

You need to view your public profile, not your "Geocaches (Yours)" one.

Ref: http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1322969-show-favorites-in-geocaches-yours-

It would be nice if you could see at a glance, which (if any) of your own caches had any favourite 'awards'. At the moment, the only way I can find out is to list each cache page individually, which is a bit time consuming if you have a lot.... or am I missing something obvious?

Hi

Try this:

from your public profile, click your stat bar, click the geocaches tab, click 'All geocache hides' to show your list of caches you've hidden.

Now click the 'favourite' rosette to sort by favourite score.

I presume my caches are nobody's favourite.

Saves time and disappointment too. ;)

I'm sure some cachers (who shall not be named) :ph34r: ...are fervently checking their caches hourly. :laughing:

Hi

Try this:

from your public profile, click your stat bar, click the geocaches tab, click 'All geocache hides' to show your list of caches you've hidden.

Now click the 'favourite' rosette to sort by favourite score.

Thank 'ee kindly, sir. It's a bit 'long winded' but I got there in the end. :)

I'm sure some cachers (who shall not be named) :ph34r: ...are fervently checking their caches hourly. :laughing:
It's only human to be curious :P (Ooh, 7 points for one of my Scottish caches, 2 each for 2 others; landscape is everything! Ah, 2 for a more local one. That's nice :)) Now to check if I can favouite my own caches (events - just events!) ;)

Update: No Favo(u)rites feature for events - even other people's. That's a shame; some of my best caching experiences have been at events.

Edited by Simply Paul

The only downside is you earn them to fast. I would have prefered something like 1 every 25 or so.

I agree that they're earnt too fast. I've started going back through our finds today allocating where appropriate, but still have 559 votes available to use! LOL

However, it is an excellent feature which I'm sure we'll be using when we go caching, and it's reassuring to see that we've earnt quite a few votes for our caches too (phew).

I agree that they're earnt too fast. I've started going back through our finds today allocating where appropriate, but still have 559 votes available to use! LOL

However, it is an excellent feature which I'm sure we'll be using when we go caching, and it's reassuring to see that we've earnt quite a few votes for our caches too (phew).

That was my thought as well ... and I don't do 'numbers'

I have gone through all my finds and have given them a favourite point if they are caches that I would 'highly recommend' someone to do if they were in the area. There are many more that I have enjoyed, but don't consider them as 'must do' caches. Therefore, I have only allocated 40 out of my 88 points so far.

Maybe when the original idea of 1 point per 10 finds was first suggested (2002) then 10 caches was a high number of finds to achieve.

I particularly like the one-click, no-reload approach; that, combined with a GSAK database of "My Finds", makes for a pleasant evening of reminiscences, scrolling through and adding Favorite Points. I've "Fave-o-righted™" quite a number of caches which are now archived, for the memories.

Personally, I would have given 1 point for 20 finds, but the slight "inflation" of having 1 for 10 is kept in check by only being able to give one point per cache. If the biggest problem one has is too many points and not enough good caches to give them to, I'd say that things are not too bad. It just needs everyone to archive their 2 or 3 worst hides and replace them with 2 or 3 awesome fierce sweet good ones.

I particularly like the one-click, no-reload approach; that, combined with a GSAK database of "My Finds", makes for a pleasant evening of reminiscences, scrolling through and adding Favorite Points. I've "Fave-o-righted™" quite a number of caches which are now archived, for the memories.

Personally, I would have given 1 point for 20 finds, but the slight "inflation" of having 1 for 10 is kept in check by only being able to give one point per cache. If the biggest problem one has is too many points and not enough good caches to give them to, I'd say that things are not too bad. It just needs everyone to archive their 2 or 3 worst hides and replace them with 2 or 3 awesome fierce sweet good ones.

I agree I am having a great time going back through the ones we found over 4 years ago. It is amazing how many I can remember, I started from the bottom so not sure how many of the 2010 finds I can recall when I get there. I guess its better to have spare points left rather than running out. I very much doubt I will use all of mine, but I would have liked the chance to give a bonus to an extra good cache. I have also Fave-o-righted (trade mark acknowledged) :D archived caches.

I wonder how many favourites Dr Solly's been granted! lol

Been through mine and still have heaps left to allocate.

Been through my caches and only one has been favourited (apart from St Andrew Square which I don't count as it wasn't my inspiration in the first place).

No matter - tis more enjoyable to give than receive.

:)

1754 at the last count. I've worked through my local finds; now to have a look at some of my international finds and UK/British holiday finds to pick some favourites. While I'm here, I also appreciate the new STATS tab in my profile; I've never cached on December the 23rd, I learn. Perhaps I'll go and find a local one to cross this date off my caching calendar... :)
Personally, I would have given 1 point for 20 finds
It's not easy to get the right balance. 1 in 10 seems too many partly because there are large numbers of very ordinary or downright poor quality caches on Groundspeak. On opencaching.org.uk 1 in 10 seems not enough because the average cache quality is considerably higher (the best on Groundspeak is easily as good or better than the best on OpenCaching, but OpenCaching has far fewer poor caches, hence the average is higher).

The problem is exacerbated because of their introduction here when folks already have large numbers of cache finds, so we very suddenly find ourselves knee deep in them. Had they been available from the start, as they were on OpenCaching, we might have "spent" them as we went along, and it might have seemed less of an issue.

Rgds, Andy

This feature is great, however, most of the poorer quality caches (in general) come from non-premium members so it won't improve their output one bit! :unsure:

Yes it will, despite this being a feature that PM's can award, all members can view the feature and see what caches have been allocated a favo(u)rite ribbon.

Well someone not very far from here has LOTS of favourites, young Haggis-me-lad!

;)

I appreciate when someone has laid out a series especially if it leads me on a pleasant walk and takes me to an area I might not have otherwise visited. If there are some favourite caches in the series then that is easy but I would as well select the first cache in the series to 'favourite' regardless to indicate my approval.

I appreciate when someone has laid out a series especially if it leads me on a pleasant walk and takes me to an area I might not have otherwise visited. If there are some favourite caches in the series then that is easy but I would as well select the first cache in the series to 'favourite' regardless to indicate my approval.

If there's a bonus/mystery cache at the end of a good series then I "favorite" (ugh) that. Series without a bonus/mystery at the end ... mmm, haven't faced that dilemma yet, but I'd probably "favorite" the last in the series and make sure I commented on the series as a whole in my log.

If there's a bonus/mystery cache at the end of a good series then I "favorite" (ugh) that. Series without a bonus/mystery at the end ... mmm, haven't faced that dilemma yet, but I'd probably "favorite" the last in the series and make sure I commented on the series as a whole in my log.

I think this will be my approach too. I've already favourited a couple of bonus caches for particularly good series' that had them. For cache series' that don't have a bonus I usually only add a 1 line log for each cache, and then add a significant log with a summary of the day to the last cache, I think in these circumstances I will favourite the last cache with the big log.

BTW today I went out to look for a cache based on it having a high favourite rating, and it lived up to expectations and now has another favourite :D.

I do think we need to come up with a more concise verb for giving a cache a favourite rating though, the only thing I can think of at the mo is "faved" (to rhyme with paved), but ot doesn't look right to me, anyone got any more ideas?

I do think we need to come up with a more concise verb for giving a cache a favourite rating

From thesaurus.com

acclaim, adore, adulate, aggrandise, anoint, applaud, bless, cite, commend, compliment, decorate, distinguish, elevate, endorse, ennoble, eulogise, exalt, extol, flatter, glorify, hail, hallow, honor, idolise, kudise, laud, lionise, panegyrise, praise, proclaim, recommend, revere, sanctify, salute, toast, tout, venerate, worship

or

favour

but please not

favorite (I "favorited" this cache - *ugh*)

I do think we need to come up with a more concise verb for giving a cache a favourite rating though, the only thing I can think of at the mo is "faved" (to rhyme with paved), but ot doesn't look right to me, anyone got any more ideas?

Just the verb "to favour" will do, I guess...

"I favour this cache because of the wonderful scenery."

Or "I favoured it last week after we spent 2 hours trudging through the snow to find it..."

(Minus the U over on the west side of the Atlantic, naturally ;) )

MrsB

It'll be interesting to see how this settles down over time. Someone has "favoured" (like a previous poster, I can't be doing with favourited!) 6 utterly unremarkable caches of mine (perhaps they just like the Unfortunate Street Names concept?). But many of my better caches (which I know people like cos they tell me at events etc) have not been so favoured.

While I'm at it, I'm in the 1:10-is-the-wrong-ratio camp. I have 78 points to award. I've been through all my finds and still have 31 left. And several were awarded to archived caches! 1:25 for me.

mj

I also feel the 1-in-10 system is fine; it allows me to award the top 10% of caches I've found a special nod of thanks. It's a level playing field; everyone gets to pick their favourite 10% of cache finds, which should help others identify 'Not to be Missed' caches while visiting an area. I've enjoyed going back over past finds and picking some corkers out :)

I wonder how many he can remember!

I somehow doubt that he'll go back through all his found caches, though :)

I remember a lot of yours! Your Mission, Trigonometry, Climate Chaos, the cat one ...

Climate Chaos wasn't one of mine but it was, however, an exceedingly fine series of caches that I've awarded favourite points to.

1:10 is fine. Poor/mediocre cache won't receive any favours. Caches that are OK may get one or two, but not enough to stand out. Genuinely good caches will get significant numbers of favours, with exceptional caches hitting very high numbers. It's interesting that many of the top scorers in the UK so far are virtuals; the leader appears to be Royal Observatory Greenwich Cache (61), with the leading physical cache being the most visited Last Delivery

I presume my caches are nobody's favourite.

Saves time and disappointment too. ;)

I am sure I would have liked some of yours if I could have found them!

1:10 is fine. Poor/mediocre cache won't receive any favours. Caches that are OK may get one or two, but not enough to stand out. Genuinely good caches will get significant numbers of favours, with exceptional caches hitting very high numbers. It's interesting that many of the top scorers in the UK so far are virtuals; the leader appears to be Royal Observatory Greenwich Cache (61), with the leading physical cache being the most visited Last Delivery

How did you get that data? Is there a GSAK file already?