Favorites List

L0ne.R

First, a big thank you to Groundspeak for implementing the favorites list.

I'm finding the 10% ratio to be generous. It works for me. I probably won't use them all but it's nice to have too many to bestow then not enough.

After going through my list of cache finds and marking some favorites I started thinking about looking up what others have considered their favorites. But it looks like I can't. They are not filterable. :blink: Or are they? Did I miss something? It looks to me as though they are another bookmark list and bookmark lists are not filterable.

I was really hoping to use them when travelling outside of my vicinity. It will help plan my caching day in new territory. Does GS intend on making the FL filterable?

Edited by Lone R

I'm finding the 10% ratio to be generous. It works for me. I probably won't use them all but it's nice to have too many to bestow then not enough.

After going through my list of cache finds and marking some favorites I started thinking about looking up what others have considered their favorites. But it looks like I can't. They are not filterable. :blink: Or are they? Did I miss something? It looks to me as though they are another bookmark list and bookmark lists are not filterable.

I was really hoping to use them when travelling outside of my vicinity. It will help plan my caching day in new territory. Does GS intend on making the FL filterable?

You can see what caches another cacher listed as their favorites by going to their profile and going under the "lists" tab. I haven't figured out yet how to say "show me the top 10% of favorited caches" or what have you, but that sounds like a job for a PQ in a later release or some such.

I'll also agree that 10% seems to generous though it's nice to have too many rather than too few- I think 1/20 would suffice for me personally though. To be honest though once you'll be able to do searches on the top favorite caches in an area statistics dictate that the top percentage will rise out of the signal/noise ratio regardless of whether you can favorite your top 10% or 5% or whatever percent of caches.

One of those things where it's not fully ideal yet but I certainly see the potential and like the way things are heading. ;)

I noticed there's a column for the favorites rating on the "nearest caches list" page. When I clicked it, it sorted the nearest caches by their rating. There were already some 2s and quite a few 1s, I guess from people marking some of their very favorites. It should get much better over time.

Are you sure that's not GCVote ranking system you're seeing. Have you downloaded the GCVote greasemonkey script? Sorting the 'nearest caches' map by vote is one of the GCVote features I really like and was hoping something similar might be adapted by Groundspeak.

Yes, I'm sure. I don't have greasemonkey.

Interesting. It's the 1s and 2 ratings that threw me. I thought you meant a rating. So the 1s and 2s you are referring to are the number of times finders have put the cache on their favs list. I'm using Firefox and a slow wireless connection so I'm having trouble with the maps right now. I'll try Chrome and IE.

I like the new favorites feature but the way it's setup it favors caches found frequently. My favorite caches are the ones with a hike involved and only a handful of cachers go for these. In the end they will be penalized since only finders of the cache can appoint a favorite rating to them.

I see a high likelihood of going to a new area and bypassing the best caches (err, my favorite) simply because others are rated higher. IMO, this means the higher rated ones will keep going up while the others get skipped.

Yup, in's not perfect. But it is better than the straight 5 star system like those used to rate difficulty and terrain. You can look at what a cacher who likes the same things you do added to their favorites list.

On the other hand I have already spotted one cachers cache that has been favorited by a team account. That team account is controlled by that same cacher. Um, ok. :blink:

After going through my list of cache finds and marking some favorites I started thinking about looking up what others have considered their favorites. But it looks like I can't. They are not filterable. :blink: Or are they? Did I miss something?

Try this... any time you search for caches in an area, click on the little blue ribbon (should be the column to the right of the distance column). That will sort the caches in that search by number of favorites. For instance, here is a sorted list of all of the caches within 50 miles of Toronto:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=43.6525&lng=-79.3816667&dist=50&sortdir=desc&sort=fav

Agreed. I just went through the first several pages of nearest caches,sorted by favorites count.

GOF, another thing I facebook_like.gif about this method is that it praises the good without really castigating the less favored caches. Yeah, someone may pout a bit about not having any or enough "Favorite" votes, but at least they will never get a negative rating.

I'll also agree that 10% seems to generous though it's nice to have too many rather than too few- I think 1/20 would suffice for me personally though. To be honest though once you'll be able to do searches on the top favorite caches in an area statistics dictate that the top percentage will rise out of the signal/noise ratio regardless of whether you can favorite your top 10% or 5% or whatever percent of caches.

One of those things where it's not fully ideal yet but I certainly see the potential and like the way things are heading. :blink:

Agree.. I've had a favorites bookmark for some time and use 1 out of a hundred or so as my criterion.

Thank you DLSeeAmerica. I now see what you were referring too. And I'm excited that people in my area are already using the favorites feature. I clicked on the blue ribbon - the caches placed on fav lists the most rise to the top. Fantastic.

favlistnearestlist.jpg

Edited by Lone R

I just posted this in the site update thread, but I think it's more appropriate here, where we're discussing the favorites feature specifically. Anyway, regarding the ratio of favorites to finds, I wrote:

I went through and marked my "Very Favorite" caches, and had a lot of votes left over. Then I went through and marked the caches I "liked a lot", and ran out of votes before I was done. So then I weeded out the list and was able to include my "Favorite" caches with room to spare. I'll probably go through the list again in a couple days, to reclaim another vote or two, but it works now that I've calibrated my selectivity more appropriately.

Anyway, from one perspective, allowing 10% of your finds to be listed is on the generous side. While 10% is selective enough to be workable, changing the ratio to 5% would force people to be more selective, listing only their "Very Favorite" caches. Changing the ratio to 5% would make each vote more significant.

But thinking about it, using the less selective ratio of 10% may be more useful for those hoping to seek interesting caches. The ratio is still selective enough for votes to be meaningful, but the votes can be spread out a little more. One goal (gleaned from one of Jeremy's posts) seems to be for truly exceptional caches to receive a lot of votes, but for most good caches to receive at least a few votes. From that perspective, it makes sense to keep the ratio higher—not so high that votes become meaningless, but high enough that people aren't overly stingy with them.

I just posted this in the site update thread, but I think it's more appropriate here, where we're discussing the favorites feature specifically. Anyway, regarding the ratio of favorites to finds, I wrote:

I went through and marked my "Very Favorite" caches, and had a lot of votes left over. Then I went through and marked the caches I "liked a lot", and ran out of votes before I was done. So then I weeded out the list and was able to include my "Favorite" caches with room to spare. I'll probably go through the list again in a couple days, to reclaim another vote or two, but it works now that I've calibrated my selectivity more appropriately.

Anyway, from one perspective, allowing 10% of your finds to be listed is on the generous side. While 10% is selective enough to be workable, changing the ratio to 5% would force people to be more selective, listing only their "Very Favorite" caches. Changing the ratio to 5% would make each vote more significant.

But thinking about it, using the less selective ratio of 10% may be more useful for those hoping to seek interesting caches. The ratio is still selective enough for votes to be meaningful, but the votes can be spread out a little more. One goal (gleaned from one of Jeremy's posts) seems to be for truly exceptional caches to receive a lot of votes, but for most good caches to receive at least a few votes. From that perspective, it makes sense to keep the ratio higher—not so high that votes become meaningless, but high enough that people aren't overly stingy with them.

I just marked all the ones I had on my personal favorites list.. only have 292 more votes to use. I suspect I'll not be using them all, unless I can drop two or three on a single cache. I also suspect the old caches won't ever get the votes they deserve.

I expect that over time, people will start thinking of it as "best of the last 10." After my usual day, I'll have one or two votes available. I'll pick the one or two caches that stood out from the others on that trip.

Over time, I think it will be a very useful figure. We travel fulltime in a fifth wheel, so when they get this fully implemented, it will be a wonderful thing for people like us. Visiting a new area with limited time, I can go for the cream of the crop. :blink:

You can see what caches another cacher listed as their favorites by going to their profile and going under the "lists" tab. I haven't figured out yet how to say "show me the top 10% of favorited caches" or what have you, but that sounds like a job for a PQ in a later release or some such.

One of those things where it's not fully ideal yet but I certainly see the potential and like the way things are heading. ;)

I agree with the ratio. I went through my finds and awarded 19 'favorite' votes out of 390 caches. Its right about 1 in 20. I don't see a problem with having too many votes. I would rather have extra votes than not enough.

Edited by Borst68

There is no rule that says you have to use the votes. Just vote for those you enjoyed the most.

Then again, don't expect too much out of this system. It is obviously meant to show fun caches. Not the top 1% but just those that are not lame.

The down side is going to be when some start favoriting every tenth skirt lifter regardless of anything to set it apart from the rest. That is when You will need to start looking at what like minded cachers have been favoriting.

I love this new feature. I think it will work out to be, not only a help, but maybe even a lot of fun to see who likes the same caches you do.

One thing that would be nice would be a way to add a note as to why the cache is one of your favorite.

I found a cache last year, I had mentioned in my log that it was one of my favorites of the summer. Later cachers didn't sound quite as impressed. I liked the cache because the road into it was great fun with a lot of tremendous views. The cache was fun, and private, but not more so then a lot of others in the area.

Having a way to know why someone liked a particular cache would be nice. :blink:

I like the new favorites feature but the way it's setup it favors caches found frequently. My favorite caches are the ones with a hike involved and only a handful of cachers go for these. In the end they will be penalized since only finders of the cache can appoint a favorite rating to them.

I see a high likelihood of going to a new area and bypassing the best caches (err, my favorite) simply because others are rated higher. IMO, this means the higher rated ones will keep going up while the others get skipped.

In your case you will likely look for caches with a high terrain or with some attributes that indicate there is the type of hike you like. Among these caches the number of finds will be similar and therefore the ones with the most favorites among these should be the ones likely to be among your favorites. Of course if you really like 5 star caches that get only one or two finds these will have fewer favorites (maybe even zero), but you probably already have a method for searching for these. And who knows, if you see a park and grab with 100 favorites you might want to try that one - there may be a reason it got on so many favorites lists.

One of those things where it's not fully ideal yet but I certainly see the potential and like the way things are heading. :blink:

Agree.. I've had a favorites bookmark for some time and use 1 out of a hundred or so as my criterion.

Same here. I just went through all of my finds to add favorites. It got to the point where I was stretching a bit and favoriting good, but not great hides so I I stopped with like 30 credits left. Maybe 1 in 20 would have been better.

I do like the favorites thing. I went back through all 4300 finds of mine and "tried" to remember which were the best, minus the ones I had in a bookmark list already. That was hard. I think 10% is a bit high but its not a bad number.

Am sure in some ways, it will be a popularity contest as a few folks will surely just vote for all their friend's caches, but I like it. The caches I noticed that have already gotten a lot of votes are the older ones. The highest # I noticed going through my finds was the Ape Cache in Washington. Big surprise there. Had like 145 or so.

Thankfully there is no worst 10% thing. I can think of so many reasons that would be bad bad bad.

Love the new Favorites feature! :blink: I have no idea how I will "spend" 702 votes, but agree with previous comments that more is better than less. (My "just right" would be about 5 percent. 1% is low, based on my personal Faves bookmark, and the 10% seems high.)

Also love that you can sort nearest caches by Favorite votes. This will be a great resource for my road trips. And seeing what others chose as Favorites is v. helpful, since I concur, some of my favorite caches tend to be those remote hikes that won't get as many votes.

Well done, Groundspeak!

Edited by hydnsek

I love the favorites idea.

It took me forever to find where to click in order to add a cache to my favorites. Perhaps I am slow, but it wouldn't hurt to either make it more prominent or give some instructions about where it is. (You go to your found caches, click on the one you wish to favorite. There is a light orange box on the upper right just below the navigation links.) You could put it with the box where which shows the number of favorites the cache has. That is where I kept wanting it to be when I didn't yet know where it really was. (This probably means I am not very good at Geocaching. :blink:)

I don't think 10% is too many. No one has to use them, but anyone who finds that they are piling up could decide to lower their standards a notch. I plan to use them to help me choose which cache to look for when I have limited time in a new location, so I hope people will use them.

Sorting a PQ by most favorited doesn't seem to work right. I just checked my most used PQ which is the 200 closest to my home. That PQ has no caches farther than 13 miles from me, but when I sort by most favorited, I get many which are farther away. Ones which were definitely not in the PQ before.

Peace.

I like this. A lot. The way it's implemented is simple and it essentially gives you a mashup of everyone's top 10% list. Locally I pretty much know what to expect based on the hider (though I've been quite surprised at times) but this will be fantastic for road trips. What caches did the locals (or other travelers for that matter) REALLY enjoy finding?

I guess it's early yet but so far I'm giving this idea two thumbs up.

As a user of GCVote I say the GS version of featuring some caches is not bad. Some + and - for both system but I don't want to debate between both.

I write to ask for a neat addition that should be veary easy to add. One column on the http://www.geocaching.com/my/owned.aspx'>http://www.geocaching.com/my/owned.aspx page to display the Favorites to make it a snap to see what of our caches are liked the most.

There is a way to see what you're looking for, although it's not on the specific page you're linking to.

On your profile page ( http://www.geocaching.com/my/ ), on the right-hand side of the screen there is a stat bar icon that gives your find and hide totals and says "View my profile". Click that to go to the profile page that others see. Click on the "Geocaches" tab, and then, on the right, "All Geocache Hides". That will bring up all of your hidden caches, along with their Favorites votes. If you click on the Blue Ribbon, it will sort by highest total.

So far I am very interested in the voting. I like looking at what local caches have gotten votes. SJudging from the results, votes in my area are mostly by non-LPCers. There is a lot of love for the multis and tough caches. There is a cache that is a 4 part multi with a 4 mile round trip hike/bike near me. It is part of the Seaway Trail series. Early on the CO got lots of flack from people who said it was too hard and not family friendly, etc. I felt bad for the CO since it was one of the best ones I have done. Its good to see that cache get 5 votes for favorite in the first 24 hours of voting. There are some others that I haven't done that are getting votes so they will be high on my "todo" list once the snow melts.

Anyone else have DNFs that you wish you could add to your favorites?

ETA: I understand why it's restricted to Founds and am not asking it to be changed. I'm just saying, I haven't found every cache that I would recommend.

YES! But I also understand why it's restricted and wouldn't want it to be changed, either.
There is a way to see what you're looking for, although it's not on the specific page you're linking to.

Thanks, never looked at that page before but I already looked at My Public Profile page though... Hopefully it will also be added to the other page much easier to get to with only a click.

So far I am very interested in the voting. I like looking at what local caches have gotten votes. SJudging from the results, votes in my area are mostly by non-LPCers. There is a lot of love for the multis and tough caches. There is a cache that is a 4 part multi with a 4 mile round trip hike/bike near me. It is part of the Seaway Trail series. Early on the CO got lots of flack from people who said it was too hard and not family friendly, etc. I felt bad for the CO since it was one of the best ones I have done. Its good to see that cache get 5 votes for favorite in the first 24 hours of voting. There are some others that I haven't done that are getting votes so they will be high on my "todo" list once the snow melts.

Ya, down yonder in the Southtowns! haha I added that four mile hiker cache you mentioned in my favorite list. The final with a distant up stream view of Niagara Falls YES!

I can see it now on ebay, buy your favorite votes here! :lol:

There is no rule that says you have to use the votes. Just vote for those you enjoyed the most.

Then again, don't expect too much out of this system. It is obviously meant to show fun caches. Not the top 1% but just those that are not lame.

The down side is going to be when some start favoriting every tenth skirt lifter regardless of anything to set it apart from the rest. That is when You will need to start looking at what like minded cachers have been favoriting.

already happening.... I just checked out the first few pages of caches from my home coordinates and there are at least three lamppost film containers with votes.... bad joke or bad taste???

I like it!

I already had a bookmark list, so it was easy to get my favorites selected. I still have a few in my hopper because some of my bookmarked favorites were archived or were chosen for sentimental reasons. Either way, I enjoy it.

I agree that the current method seems to favor caches that aren't "out of the way" but I'm looking at the top favorites in my area and quite a few of them are caches that take some extra effort. Necropolis Manor has the most (22 votes!!!) and there are several "bonus" caches that are the end of some pretty tough challenges in the top 10.

I'm not sure what this says, but I'm currently reading it like this:

Urban caches may be found more often, but they also suffer from being surrounded by other caches. Unless they are a special urban hide they will probably never really rise out of the jungle and will often get lost in the mix memory wise.

Meanwhile, great caches in remote areas will stand out and will be easily remembered.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but the initial results give me some faith that cachers who use the feature will use it wisely.

Oh, yeah... I like this much more than the "ranking" system!

Yes, the vote allotment is generous, but I like that, too. How often have you had a caching trip out on great trails, with three outstanding hides in a row? I've had that experience more than once. I don't look at the system as a way of picking my favorite of the last 10 caches I've found, but more as a way to highlight the best. A good day can hold several "bests", and I plan on reserving some votes for those days.

It's gonna be fun to see how this shakes out - glad to have something new to investigate on these long winter days.

I like it. Nothing's perfect, and this is a great first step at an awesome feature. Here's another angle on it too. For those of us who care about how their caches are received, this is a great way to get feedback on our caches without tactlessly asking everyone you know "how'd you like my cache?" I know, read the logs, but this is another pat on the back for people who put out quality caches. I'll keep my favorites list bookmark, and probably won't vote for all of them on it, I take my virtual voting seriously :anitongue:

If you have a cache that's only visited once or twice a year, and gets one or two votes a year, you know you did a great job.

I have mixed feelings about this new feature.

The bad: I see the requirement of having to find 10 caches for one vote to be one that is going to cause problems. I don't know how to fix it, but it encourages folks to find any old cache to increment that find count. Heck, I caught myself thinking "I could go back and log all of those traches that I found but didn't log and get more votes." As many know, I don't log caches I feel aren't worthy of wasting anymore time. Now there's incentive to hold my nose and log those caches. Good? Bad?

The point is, this feature is introducing a element that will change the dynamic of logging and everything associated with it.

Also, as one has already pointed out, the numbers of votes is going to be tied not only to the quality of the cache, but also to the number of folks who visit. This could mean a quality convenient* cache with "run away" with votes as compared to the same cache that is less convenient. I've already spot checked some ranking and this seems to hold true. The number of votes does not equal the percentage of finders who voted it as a favorite. A very inconvenient cache where everyone who finds it--and is eligible to vote--votes it as a favorite would be penalized over a very convenient cache where only 1 in a 50 votes it a favorite.

The good: I really like being able to sort the list by number of votes. Setting aside any potential negative unintended consequences, I really like sorting by votes. Hopefully, a near future PQ upgrade with include being able to filter on votes and the number of votes with be included in the GPX file.

I really like showing all caches nearest my home coords and sorting by votes. Not only the warm fuzzies of seeing high ranked caches that I agree with, but also seeing some of our own caches included. It's interesting that the top rated caches are virts (not surprising considering the quality of these virts) but also number of puzzles, high difficulty caches, and multis. Very cool and hopefully the trend continues.

Kudos to the Groundspeak team for finally coming out with a very useful feature.

*Convenient meaning how close to a caching population, difficulty, terrain, special gear, puzzles, seasonal availability, etc. A more convenient cache will get more visitors than the otherwise equal cache that is less convenient to visit.

I wont solicit folks, but it will be fun to compare notes with my friends' favorite caches if we have free time and maybe they can remind me of ones I forgot to mark as favorites and vice versa. Going forward, that wont be an issue, but sometimes a friend can remind me of one that I forgot about.

I did about 5%. I see we cant mark events as favorites, ah well, not a big deal there.