Dec. 21 site update

The new maps work for me, although filtering options would make it more useful, that is apparently coming in the next version.

I like the idea of "favorites" but will need some time to start adding them -- an existing bookmark list of favorites will help. Right now I have 840+ so it gives me a lot of choices - perhaps too many.

I had the option of turning off the stats page, which I did. So I am happy.

The note about "geocaching social" coming soon was interesting. It seems like we are getting some rotating pictures back on the splash page, so that is nice.

Edited by mulvaney

Like the Favorites as a way to rate caches. Many cachers have a Bookmark list of favorite caches and this is a more effective way to show that.

I wonder if the Favorites shows a way to implement FTF as a stat? A similiar way to marking a cache as one of your favorites could be used for marking it as a FTF. To prevent abuse of the feature, a user marking FTF will generate a request to the CO to confirm the FTF. Then FTFs will be listed under your Statistics page.

Milestones could work even more similiar to Favorites. Cache finds don't always get logged in strict order and occasionally reasonable backlogging of cache finds occurs so Milestones can't be done automatically. So for every 100 finds a cacher has, give them a Milestone (the same way for every 10 finds a cacher gets a Favorite). Then cachers can mark a cache a a Milestone the same way they mark it as a Favorite.

I like the stat page How ever Im NOT thrilled with the cache closest to my home. I have mile stone stats from my cachingprofile.com but they are not part of the GC stats. There should be more options and you should be able to turn off the closest to your home.

While I would not turn off Closest To Home myself, I agree with sabrefan7: I've heard many cachers are concerned enough about privacy to wish to opt out of such things and this should be an option.

Whoa, even the forum's different!

I've already added some favorites and decided that 1/10 is probably too many to give, as I definitely couldn't scratch my head to use all of them up. But I suppose it'll suffice to make it obvious in an area what the most favorited caches are... I do think it would be great if you could somehow leave a comment as to why you favorited a cache as that's not inherently obvious in any way (interesting container, clever hide, amazing view, etc?). Obviously the easiest way to do this would allow a link to your log so others can read what you thought about the cache.

Also I do like playing with the new map but do not like how it doesn't appear to discriminate between caches I've already found or owned on the map!!!

Edit: also noticed that not all the caches show up on the map when you zoom out a great distance. For example I'm heading to Zanzibar next month but if you enter that in the search and zoom out to see the full island one or two of the caches are no longer visible. Of course, most places the size of Zanzibar would have hundreds of caches so you wouldn't notice.

Double edit: Am I the only one who can't see PM caches on the new map?

Edited by Andromeda321

Whoa! The Geocaching site is different! :blink:

Seriously, I have been so impressed by the new forum that I totally forgot that there was also the big release of new features to the Geocaching pages!

At this time, I is indeed very sluggish for me. I haven't timed anything, but it is very slow loading pages for me. The stats for me are giving me "Geocaching statistics are not available at this time." Maybe they're making some fixes right now?

The new maps from the View Large Map link above the small map works great if I want to see the Seattle area, but at this time, it does not default to the area of my cache. Sure does look good, though.

Took me quite a while to spot the favorites (right next to the cache name). Poor positioning on the cache page... looks like an afterthought. For those that haven't looked yet, here is how the favorites ratings work:

About Favorite Points

Geocaching Favorites is a simple way to track and share the caches that you enjoyed the most. For every 10 distinct caches that you have found, you will be able to Favorite 1 exceptional cache in your find history. The Favorites accumulated by a cache are displayed in search results and on the cache page so everyone can see which caches stand above the rest.

The names of who favored the cache, when, and by how much, is visible... that may be a problem in some cases. I'd think voters would prefer to remain anonymous.

Edited by knowschad

I like the stat page How ever Im NOT thrilled with the cache closest to my home. I have mile stone stats from my cachingprofile.com but they are not part of the GC stats. There should be more options and you should be able to turn off the closest to your home.

As Nate mentioned in another thread, only you can see the actual cache ID that is the closest find to home. If I view your stats, I only see the distance, but I have no idea what cache it was.

As Nate mentioned in another thread, only you can see the actual cache ID that is the closest find to home. If I view your stats, I only see the distance, but I have no idea what cache it was.

I see that now that I have looked at another cachers profiles That is acceptable to me. Thanks :blink:

edit typo

Edited by sabrefan7

As a lowly basic member, I cannot even see the statistics on other cachers' profiles. What is on my own, meh.

I am a bit annoyed with all the "rub it in your face" modifications for basic members. I especially dislike the big "neener neener" photo they show of some stuck-up guy when a basic member clicks on the link to a PMO cache page.

I'm liking the upgrades for premium members. I only became premium because I needed to plan a trip last summer. I ran my 2 PQ's for that and then was done. I use the forum for premium members a lot but I honestly can't justify the membership fee for one forum because I just don't run PQ's ever. Now looking at the stuff they've added I can start to justify the membership fee again. I was just going to let it lapse after a year was up. Now I'm reconsidering.

I've already added some favorites and decided that 1/10 is probably too many to give, as I definitely couldn't scratch my head to use all of them up. But I suppose it'll suffice to make it obvious in an area what the most favorited caches are... I do think it would be great if you could somehow leave a comment as to why you favorited a cache as that's not inherently obvious in any way (interesting container, clever hide, amazing view, etc?). Obviously the easiest way to do this would allow a link to your log so others can read what you thought about the cache.

Also I do like playing with the new map but do not like how it doesn't appear to discriminate between caches I've already found or owned on the map!!!

Edit: also noticed that not all the caches show up on the map when you zoom out a great distance. For example I'm heading to Zanzibar next month but if you enter that in the search and zoom out to see the full island one or two of the caches are no longer visible. Of course, most places the size of Zanzibar would have hundreds of caches so you wouldn't notice.

I also found the size and color of the icons very difficult to see when viewing a large area with few geocaches. Once you zoom in a bit the icons change from the small squares to the standard geocaching icons.

If I recall, Zanzibar only has 4-5 caches, and only one in Dar es Salaam. Four caches in area that size is actually dense compared to many other countries in Africa. I was looking at the new maps at some of the western African countries and noticed that Western Sahara has no caches but the Canary islands, just off the coast is loaded with them.

Still looking around...

The stats page is cute, but... It does not take into account moving caches. Four of my Home Location statistics are for moving caches. Red Ryder, which is now in California (I found it in New Jersey), and Markwell's Photography caches, which moved at will. One archived in Greece. The other in Manitoba. Nope. I've never found caches in Manitoba, Greece, or California.

Still looking around...

The stats page is cute, but... It does not take into account moving caches. Four of my Home Location statistics are for moving caches. Red Ryder, which is now in California (I found it in New Jersey), and Markwell's Photography caches, which moved at will. One archived in Greece. The other in Manitoba. Nope. I've never found caches in Manitoba, Greece, or California.

When I was running the INATN site, one thing I was doing was flagging traveling caches, and then excluding them from distance or "what places have I cached in?" stats.

Looks good for the most part. I do hope that disabled caches will be marked as such on the "Search for geocaches" list again, now there is no way to tell without viewing every cache page. And as someone earlier mentioned, premium member caches don't show up on the new map and found caches aren't marked. I understand that is a work in progress, hopefully those issues will be temporary.

What a great Christmas present!

I thought there would be no way the new map could be as fast as the video displayed. I WAS WRONG! I just pulled up the whole Southeast and scanned almost the entire US in less than a minute! Amazing. I would like to hide found and owned cache of course, but using both maps is easily workable for now.

I like the favorites. I went ahead through my bookmarked favorites (which is called a list now?) and added all those. I like that they are easy to find once you get to the bookmark page (one request would to make bookmarks (and PQ's) a link at the top instead of hidden on the right).

I like the new search page; seeing the favorites and how easy it is to see if I found or own a cache there. I don't know if it's new but being able to actually click on the TB icon to see all TBs in the cache with a link to each TB is great.

I do like the new forums so far (I changed to the IPB layout because the colors are better).

My only complaint is VIP List Grease Monkey was broke.

I see so much promise for the new year.

The "Favorites" icon and text are not displaying properly on Firefox.

I, too, would like to see filtering options on the new map similar to the old.

Aha! I thought they just placed a link next to the cache name as an afterthought, but you're right... that's just with FireFox. Looks nice in IE.

Likewise with my issue with the Beta maps displaying Seattle.

I also found the size and color of the icons very difficult to see when viewing a large area with few geocaches. Once you zoom in a bit the icons change from the small squares to the standard geocaching icons.

If I recall, Zanzibar only has 4-5 caches, and only one in Dar es Salaam. Four caches in area that size is actually dense compared to many other countries in Africa. I was looking at the new maps at some of the western African countries and noticed that Western Sahara has no caches but the Canary islands, just off the coast is loaded with them.

Regarding Zanzibar true, but I was just using it as an example. :blink: Most places in the developing world fall under this category though- lots of cities in China for example appear cacheless but if you zoom in a few times you'll spot one or two cache listings. As I'm saying, in most places cachers are in the world this doesn't matter but I was so looking forward to knowing where caches were at a glance in a country I was traveling to, and it doesn't look like I can do that short of indavidually searching a smaller area like I was before.

Another thing I'd appreciate is the ability to select a cache at a further out zoom, as right now you can only do it at the same zoom level as the old map. I really don't see the point of the new map if you have to keep zooming in and out whenever you spot something that interests you.

Aha! I thought they just placed a link next to the cache name as an afterthought, but you're right... that's just with FireFox. Looks nice in IE.

This was happening to me in Firefox as well. I thought it might be an issue with GCvote (which uses a Greasemonkey script) so I disabled Greasemonkey and refreshed the page. Huzzah it worked! Then out of curiosity, I started Greasemonkey again...and it still works.

So either they happened to fix the problem right at that moment or it is a Greasemonkey issue that's resolved by disabling Greasemonkey, refreshing, and re-enabling Greasemonkey. :blink:

This was happening to me in Firefox as well. I thought it might be an issue with GCvote (which uses a Greasemonkey script) so I disabled Greasemonkey and refreshed the page. Huzzah it worked! Then out of curiosity, I started Greasemonkey again...and it still works.

So either they happened to fix the problem right at that moment or it is a Greasemonkey issue that's resolved by disabling Greasemonkey, refreshing, and re-enabling Greasemonkey. :blink:

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I actually have found three of the new features (the three major ones) that don't work correctly in FF. The beta maps default to Seattle, the favorites icon doesn't display, and the stats look terrible. I hope that refreshing Greasemonkey takes care of it, 'cause I'd like my 3 Feedback votes back!

Peronally I feel that the terrain/difficulty rating and TB info should go back in front of the cache name - this is when you are viewing a pages of cache listings. It is quicker to scan down a page if all the 'information' type columns are in one area. Now you have to look before & after the cache name, instead of being able to get a quick overview of all that type of information like you could before.

Annie

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I actually have found three of the new features (the three major ones) that don't work correctly in FF. The beta maps default to Seattle, the favorites icon doesn't display, and the stats look terrible. I hope that refreshing Greasemonkey takes care of it, 'cause I'd like my 3 Feedback votes back!

Two of those three problems were fixed by stopping & restarting Greasemonkey. The beta maps issue seems to be caused by the GC Map Enhancements script. I have already let Lil Devil know (although I'm guessing he was already working on a fix).

I, too, would like to see filtering options on the new map similar to the old.

Likewise with my issue with the Beta maps displaying Seattle.

It's working now!

I whent through and assigned some favorits. I am trying to only vote on caches that stand out, so as such, I have only used about 53% of my avalable favoret votes. It seems to me that 1 vote for every 10 finds is a little too much.

Edit: It is now up to 62% of my avalable votes

Edited by Andronicus

Still looking around...

Side note. Red Ryder is also archived, so it will always be listed in California. The cache hadn't been maintained by the owner for years, and then it burned up in a wildfire in 10/08.

I still prefer to use GSAK. My coords for Red Ryder are corrected to the spot where I actually found it. I've done this for all moving and locationless caches that I have found. Having correct stats is worth the five minutes a week it takes to run and upload them.

Two of those three problems were fixed by stopping & restarting Greasemonkey. The beta maps issue seems to be caused by the GC Map Enhancements script. I have already let Lil Devil know (although I'm guessing he was already working on a fix).

It seems that Lil Devil is going to be busy for awhile. The map scrip, the VIP script and the Bag o' Tricks are all broken. Specifically, no smiley after the cache name of those that I have found, and the entire size and date line is missing.

I'm personally THRILLED with having "too many" points. I plan on saving some for when I do 2 awesome caches in a 10 cache run. I think it's absolutely wonderful to finally be able to start seeing some ratings. In about 6 months people will be whining that there aren't enough favorites. I think that if I and the rest of the GC universe mark the top 10% of all caches we've done, we're gonna quickly get a good representation of the "must do" caches around an area.

I'm also pumped about the maps. THEY'RE IN BETA, GRUMPS! :blink: I'm CERTAIN that soon we'll be seeing a way to filter finds, owned caches, etc. I love how as you zoom out, the caches become little squares, and it took me very little time to start figuring out which colors represented which kinds of caches. As far as fewer and fewer little boxes as you zoom out... DUH. Imagine 1,000,000 boxes trying to be accurately placed on a full world map. I can hear it now: "My map takes FOREVER to load! I hate the new maps!" I love how it does a pretty good job of representing cache saturation of certain areas, no matter what level you zoom to, and how as you get closer you see the much more clear icons and have more specific icons.

I marked my favorites the second I was able to access the overtaxed new system. I hope everyone else does ASAP!

And for my last comment, I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind with this comment, but just because I want to make sure alternate viewpoints are being communicated... almost every good and quality site has a paid premium members option. Note my adjectives... "good and quality". If you want the better stuff, you pay for it. Duh. If you're happy with the free version, don't pay. If you're unhappy and want more, pay. If you're unhappy and refuse to pay, suck it up and cope. If the stuff Groundspeak does isn't worth your money and you don't want to pay around a penny a day, quit complaining that you don't get those benefits.

Thank you Groundspeak for what I think is going to be an OUTSTANDING new upgrade for the new year!!!

I

And for my last comment, I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind with this comment, but just because I want to make sure alternate viewpoints are being communicated... almost every good and quality site has a paid premium members option. Note my adjectives... "good and quality". If you want the better stuff, you pay for it. Duh. If you're happy with the free version, don't pay. If you're unhappy and want more, pay. If you're unhappy and refuse to pay, suck it up and cope. If the stuff Groundspeak does isn't worth your money and you don't want to pay around a penny a day, quit complaining that you don't get those benefits.

I could not have said it better. I have no sympathy for those that complain that they can't get for free, something that I paid for.

Either you pay for a cab, or you walk. your choice.

As a lowly basic member, I cannot even see the statistics on other cachers' profiles. What is on my own, meh.

I am a bit annoyed with all the "rub it in your face" modifications for basic members. I especially dislike the big "neener neener" photo they show of some stuck-up guy when a basic member clicks on the link to a PMO cache page.

$30/year to become PM is about the equivalent of 2 weeks worth of coffee, assuming you only get one a day, i think that's a pretty good deal for all the long lasting perks you get from being a PM, considering that the coffee will be "flushed" in roughly 15 minutes from ingestion :blink:

I whent through and assigned some favorits. I am trying to only vote on caches that stand out, so as such, I have only used about 53% of my avalable favoret votes. It seems to me that 1 vote for every 10 finds is a little too much.
I went through and marked my "Very Favorite" caches, and had a lot of votes left over. Then I went through and marked the caches I "liked a lot", and ran out of votes before I was done. So then I weeded out the list and was able to include my "Favorite" caches with room to spare. I'll probably go through the list again in a couple days, to reclaim another vote or two, but it works now that I've calibrated my selectivity more appropriately.

Anyway, from one perspective, allowing 10% of your finds to be listed is on the generous side. While 10% is selective enough to be workable, changing the ratio to 5% would force people to be more selective, listing only their "Very Favorite" caches. Changing the ratio to 5% would make each vote more significant.

But thinking about it, using the less selective ratio of 10% may be more useful for those hoping to seek interesting caches. The ratio is still selective enough for votes to be meaningful, but the votes can be spread out a little more. One goal (gleaned from one of Jeremy's posts) seems to be for truly exceptional caches to receive a lot of votes, but for most good caches to receive at least a few votes. From that perspective, it makes sense to keep the ratio higher—not so high that votes become meaningless, but high enough that people aren't overly stingy with them.