Geocaching.com site update Dec 21st 2010

OpinioNate

Great idea with the new Map. But I am missing the chance to select which caches i will see (e.g. don't show me my finds). I saw that you will release this with v0.9.2 and beyond.

Do you know when it will be released (approximately) ?

If this is implemented the new map will be (not only) my favorite map :-)

Greeting from Germany

Edited by strada87

I'm not sure if this bug is related to this update, but I've not seen it before today, so I will post here:

If I create a new bookmark list, I am unable to edit it. I receive the following message when I click on the "Edit" hyperlink:

Error Occurred

You do not have permissions to edit this bookmark list.

This only occurs for new bookmark lists that I create. I am able to edit bookmark lists that I created in the past.

For the devs, I created a list called "New List" as an example list that I am unable to edit.

Some further clarification...I am able to edit the bookmark from the "edit" link in the list of bookmarks. The problem occurs on this page:

b7f127ce-78af-45e4-a8d5-661b951c8457.jpg

The "edit" link on the above page points to this url:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/edit.aspx?ListID=-1

I believe the -1 is invalid.

One minor gripe, if I may, with the new forums... can links open on a new tab, like they used to?
Your browser probably has a middle-click or shift-click or command-click or ctrl-click or alt-click function that will open links in new windows/tabs just the way you want. As a bonus, this feature will work elsewhere on the web.

Personally, I prefer that the links not open new windows/tabs automatically. I'd prefer to choose how to open the links in my browser, rather than having the site force its choice upon me.

Personally, I prefer the old behavior because it was the old behavior. You personally can chose to open in the same tab if that is what you prefer, can't you?

One minor gripe, if I may, with the new forums... can links open on a new tab, like they used to?
Your browser probably has a middle-click or shift-click or command-click or ctrl-click or alt-click function that will open links in new windows/tabs just the way you want. As a bonus, this feature will work elsewhere on the web.

Personally, I prefer that the links not open new windows/tabs automatically. I'd prefer to choose how to open the links in my browser, rather than having the site force its choice upon me.

Personally, I prefer the old behavior because it was the old behavior. You personally can chose to open in the same tab if that is what you prefer, can't you?

I'm having a real hard time getting used to this new behavior. I'll follow a link, then close it expecting that a new tab had opened. Instead, I've closed the tab that had the forum in it. Now I have to reopen the forum thread and hunt for the place where I left off.

Generally, no. Pages that force links to open in new tabs prevent the user from reusing the same tab.

Generally, no. Pages that force links to open in new tabs prevent the user from reusing the same tab.

I dislike when I click on a link and it opens in the same window, replacing the page I was on, so I have developed the habit of right-clicking and selecting either to open in a new tab or a new window. I quickly learned in the new version of the forums that I need to use the right click method since the left click no longer opens a new window automatically. Old habit being reprogrammed.

Not sure if they have been brought up already, but I skimmed through all the posts and didn't see anything.

There seems to be a misscalculation with the "favorites" point system. At a 10:1 ratio, you should get a favorite point on every 10th cache and should therefore be 10% of your finds, but at 600 finds, I had 61 points instead of 60 and now at 609 its saying I'll get another point in 2 caches. But surely I should get a point at 610 and have 61 points??

I dislike when I click on a link and it opens in the same window, replacing the page I was on, so I have developed the habit of right-clicking and selecting either to open in a new tab or a new window. I quickly learned in the new version of the forums that I need to use the right click method since the left click no longer opens a new window automatically. Old habit being reprogrammed.

Pressing the wheel botton on your mouse will open a link in a new tab.

Pressing the wheel botton on your mouse will open a link in a new tab.

I guess my Logitech mouse is behind the times. I don't have the option of assigning that function. It would be pretty cool if it did

It's a cordless, with the standard two buttons. a third button at the bottom of those, plus a wheel that is also a button. I've had it before tabbed browsing became the norm. Perhaps I need an software update.

It's a cordless, with the standard two buttons. a third button at the bottom of those, plus a wheel that is also a button. I've had it before tabbed browsing became the norm. Perhaps I need an software update.

the scroll wheel is the button you're looking for. firefox supports this behavior out of the box, not sure about other browsers. mouse software/driver doesn't matter (unless you're running it with a 2-button only driver).

Not sure if they have been brought up already, but I skimmed through all the posts and didn't see anything.

There seems to be a misscalculation with the "favorites" point system. At a 10:1 ratio, you should get a favorite point on every 10th cache and should therefore be 10% of your finds, but at 600 finds, I had 61 points instead of 60 and now at 609 its saying I'll get another point in 2 caches. But surely I should get a point at 610 and have 61 points??

I can't speak to the second part of the issue, but I do know that a user with 0 finds has 1 vote available. Is that an error...or just a way to let a newbie declare his first find his favorite?

I really like the new stats page. It looks like there are all kinds of improvements. Very well done and much appreciated.

One change or correction I would make is to be able to display the distances in km rather than miles. I know this is an American site and most users are probably American but you already allow that change when I look at how far a cache is from home on the cache page so it should be possible on the stats page too. Perhaps it already is but I haven't found the set up option yet?

the scroll wheel is the button you're looking for. firefox supports this behavior out of the box, not sure about other browsers. mouse software/driver doesn't matter (unless you're running it with a 2-button only driver).

Nope, currently pressing on the wheel, which does click like a button, nothing happens. I don't have the time right now, but I think that a driver update is the key. I'm using the driver that came packaged with the mouse. This was before Firefox came up with Tab-ed browsing. I don't have that option because it didn't exist when my mouse driver was created.

To the topic: I personally would prefer that all links open a new tab/window. Once you direct me away, I may not be back

Nope, currently pressing on the wheel, which does click like a button, nothing happens. I don't have the time right now, but I think that a driver update is the key. I'm using the driver that came packaged with the mouse. This was before Firefox came up with Tab-ed browsing. I don't have that option because it didn't exist when my mouse driver was created.

To the topic: I personally would prefer that all links open a new tab/window. Once you direct me away, I may not be back

All wheel mice, irrespective of age, have this function. Also, unless you have a mouse with some unique functions and or buttons, there is usually no need to run a special drive for it. XP and up will have suitable drivers built in.

Off hand, the only thing I can think of is that either the wheel button on your mouse is broken, or at some point its function has been changed from the default and or left blank.

An alternate method is to left click the link, while holding the Ctrl to open in a new Tab, and the Shift key to open in a new Window.

To the topic: I personally would prefer that all links open a new tab/window.

So would I. Or at least I'd like to have that option for any link that I click on.

One place where I don't have the option is on the Search for Geocaches pages: When I do a search, I get a page with the first 20 caches shown. Clicking on Next or on a page number replaces those 20 by another 20. Until recently, using Safari 2.0.4 on an iMac, I could command-click on the link and have the new page open in a new tab. It was very convenient; I could browse through several pages of nearby caches without having to constantly reload them. For some reason, this didn't work in later versions of Safari. And now it no longer works in 2.0.4; in fact clicking on those links doesn't open them at all. (So I've switched to Safari 3.0.4 for geocaching.)

Apparently, those aren't normal links; if I right-click on one and select Copy Link, the address shows up as something like

• javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$ContentBody$pgrTop$lbGoToPage_2','')

Does anyone know of a browser in which links like that can be opened in new tabs?

Hi!

Favorites are fine and all, but I really can't see using them much nor assigning favorites to the 800 plus available to me. But I can understand, sort of. Numbers hound that I am-- almost-- I ain't that particular. A smiley is a smiley. And yes, I do appreciate the quality hides.

What I would like to see, or rather NOT see, is the box that appears every time I log a cache that tells me, rather breathlessly, that I only have "x" finds to go until I get another vote. That is really unnecessary and already annoying.

While I am at it, please move this favorites thing to the bottom of the right hand column. The useful stuff should be at the top. Thankfully the type of GPS is moved way down. I really did know since I look at it daily.

Nice update!

I would even go further as I don't care about favorites at all! I would like to NOT see anything regarding favorites as I definitely will not use them in any way. And yes, this favorite countdown while logging IS annoying already. Just logged a bunch of caches some minutes ago and I don't like this countdown at all :-(

Anyone willing to get some favorites? I still have all mine (400+) and right now I'm just thinking about awarding the worst caches I've found...

I do understand that many people like such kind of stuff but why must it be that annoying? I still simply read the logs of others to see if a cache might be good or not and usually just reading the description gives you more than just an idea if one might like a cache or not. And in the end I'm simply searching about every single cache in my area regardless the quality ;-) O.k., that's not exactly true: I filter out the really bad ones after reading the logs so favorites simply don't help me in any way.

And if I'm caching elsewhere in the world my personal filter is way different: I usually go for old caches if I do have time. Or I simply use cache along a route and in this case I don't care. I'm only interested in reachability and time consumption...

Bye,

Christian

By the Lake, GCC3A5 needs to be moved back to terra firma. I found it at N 37° 13.243 W 122° 03.220

GCC716, Urban Assault #4 looks like it is messing up results for most easterly.

And GCE042, Tunnel, while active, is unrealistically out in the Pacific. Appears to have been placed before the generally accepted rule of keeping a puzzle cache within a few miles was invoked.

Edited by MotorBug

hey, i just found the "statistics" section, and i'm so pleased to have it without having to go through the laborious process of finding/installing/updating a new program from elsewhere! Thanks so much!(i thought it was one of the new things; could it have been there all along and I missed it all this time?) thanks too for using such tasteful and therefore look-at-able colours; the main reason i haven't bothered with stats till now is that i can't stand the garish colours all the other programs seem to use... not to mention the tediousness of neverending different ways of displaying the same information, just because they can...

great the way the site just keeps getting better!

...margaret

Edited by dragon flyer

I like the idea of placing statistics in the profiles.

I'm only a Basic Member.

It dosn't matter for me that I can't see the statistics of other members.

But I also can't see the statistics on my own profile (see only a sample).

As long I can't see what is visable to others on my profile there is

only one way for me - I have switched it to non visable.

I hope this will be changed soon.

Several years ago in a moment of stupidity, I logged GC55A5, Änglamarken, a mis-identified traditional that was an armchair virtual. Now it shows up as my furthest cache as well as most northerly. I would guess this is the case for many a geocacher. I'm very willing to delete my log on this one but it seems the correct action would be to change the category to a virtual and exclude it from the statistics.

Please advise if this is a possibility.

Thanks.

I'll get this added to the list we keep for traveling and armchair caches, all of which are excluded for determination of distance statistics. If you hear of others, please note them here so that we can add them, too.

Thanks!

GCDA84 - Going to a Cardinals Game Moving Cache

PQ error?

From the Active Pocket Queries window, in the preview column, I click the left icon to preview a PQ.

The window opens with a list of 1000 caches...... lets say these are the 1000 caches closest to my home.

I then click the Placed column, to presumably order the 1000 caches newest to oldest......

What I then find is that the list populates with caches that were NOT in the original 1000 cache PQ..... it comes up with caches that are at the opposite end of the UK and even some from the Netherlands appear. The list still claims to have 1000 over 50 pages.

What is going wrong here? Surely the Placed column reorder should display the original 1000 in order newest to oldest?

Anyone any ideas if this is a bug in the software?

Thanks.

Several years ago in a moment of stupidity, I logged GC55A5, Änglamarken, a mis-identified traditional that was an armchair virtual. Now it shows up as my furthest cache as well as most northerly. I would guess this is the case for many a geocacher. I'm very willing to delete my log on this one but it seems the correct action would be to change the category to a virtual and exclude it from the statistics.

Thanks.

I'll get this added to the list we keep for traveling and armchair caches, all of which are excluded for determination of distance statistics. If you hear of others, please note them here so that we can add them, too.

Thanks!

GCDA84 - Going to a Cardinals Game Moving Cache

Perhaps this one as well? GCGWVP - EXO Area 52 (Bokelt)

It's an armchair webcam cache.

Yes, I'll admit it. I did it. :laughing:

Thanks!

Suggest removing Red Ryder. A travelling cache archived in California. It shows up as my 'furthest'. I found it in New Jersey.

No. You can force a new tab/window, but I'm not aware of any browser that allows you to selectively override the 'new tab/window" spec. Most often shift-click forces a new tab, but that varies among browsers.

I'm having a real hard time getting used to this new behavior. I'll follow a link, then close it expecting that a new tab had opened. Instead, I've closed the tab that had the forum in it. Now I have to reopen the forum thread and hunt for the place where I left off.
Changing an interface does cause problems. However, the previous interface was bad. Wrong. See Jakob Nielsen's discussion of this (#9). The normal, expected way of backing out is to use the "back" button (or equivalent keystroke), which studies show is the second most used navigation command in web browsing (after clicking a link). Opening a new tab/window confuses far, far more users than opening in the same tab/window.

Also, you generally don't know before clicking whether a link is configured to open a new tab/window. You may know by context (links in the old forums here opened a new tab/window, for example), but not in general. So opening by default in the same tab/window provides both predictability and control.

Apparently, those aren't normal links; if I right-click on one and select Copy Link, the address shows up as something like

• javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$ContentBody$pgrTop$lbGoToPage_2','')

Does anyone know of a browser in which links like that can be opened in new tabs?

Javascript links are indeed devilspawn. That's a really bad choice of how to handle it. I would suggest posting a suggestion in That Other Place, asking to allow the user to open a new window with that link. Post a URL to your suggestion here so that the rest of us can follow up on it without having to wade through the muck Over There.

Edward

Thanks.

Thanks!

Could you add this one to the list? It's showing as my furthest north and west caches but I've never cached in Wisconsin: Going to a Mets Game Moving cache

All wheel mice, irrespective of age, have this function. Also, unless you have a mouse with some unique functions and or buttons, there is usually no need to run a special drive for it. XP and up will have suitable drivers built in.

Off hand, the only thing I can think of is that either the wheel button on your mouse is broken, or at some point its function has been changed from the default and or left blank.

An alternate method is to left click the link, while holding the Ctrl to open in a new Tab, and the Shift key to open in a new Window.

One thing I have learned about an absolute statement like the one above is that they are typically absolutely incorrect. :anicute:

I have a Logitech Anywhere MX wheel mouse on my laptop. Pushing the wheel button down changes from a "clicky" type interval scroll (as in a line of text at a time) to a smooth, free-form scroll. In the free-from mode I can scroll it really fast and it will continue to scroll until I touch the wheel and stop it. I love this function! I can zip up and down forum pages in a flash. There is a button behind the wheel though, and pushing this button opens a clicked link in a new tab. The wheel did work on our desktop computer though. I'll check work tomorrow. This does illustrate that not all wheel mouse devices have this function.

I have a few more traveling caches for the exclusions list.

GC2CE0 -- GeoRover #2 (Archived in Tunisia, over 5,000 miles from me)

GCD870 -- 50 States Cache (archived)

and going back to the very beginning of course...

GCC6B -- my first Mars Rover Traveler, the very first traveling cache.

GCD5C -- Markwell's "Scooby Doo, Where are You?" traveler, the second traveler.

GC105D -- my second Mars Rover, and the third traveling cache.

Here is a bookmark list for you of traveling caches, though it is not complete. It has more than other bookmark lists from what I can tell. Most of these travelers are on some bookmark list somewhere.

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=1a957e59-0482-4dd6-9f96-c864a578296f

You can turn off your stats in your account settings.

Thank you for having enough foresight to include this option. Any chance of including a similar option for find counts?

I would LOVE the option to hide my find counts from others! Great idea, CoyoteRed!

I know this will never fly. People love showing off their find counts!

But I think it would be great to have the option to hide that feature from my public profile. :rolleyes:

I have a Logitech Anywhere MX wheel mouse on my laptop. Pushing the wheel button down changes from a "clicky" type interval scroll (as in a line of text at a time) to a smooth, free-form scroll. In the free-from mode I can scroll it really fast and it will continue to scroll until I touch the wheel and stop it. I love this function! I can zip up and down forum pages in a flash. There is a button behind the wheel though, and pushing this button opens a clicked link in a new tab. The wheel did work on our desktop computer though. I'll check work tomorrow. This does illustrate that not all wheel mouse devices have this function.

actually that sounds more like that mouse itself does have the function just like any other mouse, only the mouse driver translates it to mean something else. that's quite a common thing to do for the more fancy mice and their drivers to do and in most cases can be fixed by reconfiguring the driver, or otherwise in the more extreme cases, installation of a different driver.

it becomes apparent when you try to use the same mouse under a different OS, one that doesn't have the special mouse driver installed. i've never seen any scroll mouse without standard middle/wheel click function under linux, no matter how fancy the mouse itself was. the same applies to all my windows installations, because i simply rely on the integrated mouse driver and don't use the one that shipped with the mouse. i hate it when the middle click is being taken away from me.

all that being said, with the vast majority of user-posted links in a forum being external links, i do agree that those links should open in a new tab by default.

Edited by dfx

On the next update can we get a "Messages" tab like the one eBay has? Some members apparently don't check their emails often so responses tke forever although I notice they have been on the site since and email. Would greatly enhance communication between members. Thanks! Happy caching! [:)]

GC6D43, What in the World Cache? is still messing up stats. Any plans to fix?

As I mentioned in a previous post, we will not be addressing caches that have had "alternative" logging practices exercised on them.

Missed that I guess. Seems to me that the non-counting for statistics could be date specific for these types of caches. But I'll just delete my find since I am more interested in correct mileage than numbers.

I can not give my last favorite point to GC1R4N3. To other caches it is possible. Is GC1R4N3 locked for favorites or is this a bug?

I'm still not able to favorite this cache. Can somebodyelse favorite this cache?

@Groundspeak: Do you know this Problem?

for the "favorites" system:

i like it, but would be even better if the number of total finds would be displayed directly with the number of favorites.

problem is, if i look for caches in the area and if for example an easy cache which has been found 1000 times gets 3% favorite votes, and another cache which is much more difficult and has only been found 50 times but gets 60% votes, they get the same number of points even though one has a much higher favorite rate per finder..

for the new maps:

they look great. it would be perfect if they would get some of the old maps' features: display found caches as smiley (and owned caches as star), and some ways to hide found caches and possibly filter by cache types...

cheers

It seems that older caches (eg locationless/travelling caches etc) are causing problems with some of the new features. I have souvenirs for places that I have never been to as a result. I have 74 locationless caches plus a number of others that will similarly distort where I have been. I see that there is supposed to be a 'list' somewhere to highlight such caches but apart from odd mentions in this thread I cannot easily see how it's possible to identify which others have spotted. Surely all locationless could just be excluded from any analysis?

Please add these virtual but loggable from elsewhere caches:

GC3866

GCF55A

GCA7AD

GCKTK0

GCF2A3

GC6D43

to the 'list'.

It seems that older caches (eg locationless/travelling caches etc) are causing problems with some of the new features. I have souvenirs for places that I have never been to as a result. I have 74 locationless caches plus a number of others that will similarly distort where I have been. I see that there is supposed to be a 'list' somewhere to highlight such caches but apart from odd mentions in this thread I cannot easily see how it's possible to identify which others have spotted. Surely all locationless could just be excluded from any analysis?

GC3866

GCF55A

GCA7AD

GCKTK0

GCF2A3

GC6D43

to the 'list'.

Locationless caches are already being excluded as a class from souvenirs and statistics. Unfortunately, some of the earliest of the souvenirs failed to properly account for LCs, so you may have some from these batches. If that's the case, please email contact@geocaching.com and ask to have them removed.

Of the caches you list above, all have been added to the list except the last two, although the latest version of the list has not yet been applied to the live site.

The last two caches in your list will not be added to the master list because, as I've indicated before, we will not be taking any special steps to account for caches that have encouraged "alternative" logging practices.

GC3866

GCF55A

GCA7AD

GCKTK0

GCF2A3

GC6D43

to the 'list'.

Locationless caches are already being excluded as a class from souvenirs and statistics. Unfortunately, some of the earliest of the souvenirs failed to properly account for LCs, so you may have some from these batches. If that's the case, please email contact@geocaching.com and ask to have them removed.

Of the caches you list above, all have been added to the list except the last two, although the latest version of the list has not yet been applied to the live site.

The last two caches in your list will not be added to the master list because, as I've indicated before, we will not be taking any special steps to account for caches that have encouraged "alternative" logging practices.

My apologies if this has been suggested/requested elsewhere in this thread, but would it make sense to implement a check-box/drop-down option in the statistics page which will exclude finds (or include finds, should that be your preference) cache types without physical logs (ie. LC, Webcam, Virtual)?

This, in combination with Moun10Bike's growing "traveller" list, may work best for all sides.

GC3866

GCF55A

GCA7AD

GCKTK0

GCF2A3

GC6D43

to the 'list'.

My apologies if this has been suggested/requested elsewhere in this thread, but would it make sense to implement a check-box/drop-down option in the statistics page which will exclude finds (or include finds, should that be your preference) cache types without physical logs (ie. LC, Webcam, Virtual)?

This, in combination with Moun10Bike's growing "traveller" list, may work best for all sides.

That's a good idea Dr House. I will try emailing re the early souvenirs, if I can work out which caches resulted in me getting them! The time invovled may not be worth it however.

As I watch my statistics, I notice I have one 'found' more than there are 'distinct' caches. Therefore, I think I have logged a cache twice. Is it possible to find out which cache this is, beside going through al logs?

I run a Mac, therefore no GSAK for me...As I understand it is possible with GSAK. With the help of a friend I tried this once, but nothing helped. Any other solutions to this 'problem'?

Found a bug as I was surfing the site... not sure if this is the right place to post it but here goes...

Go to

http://www.geocaching.com/local/default.aspx?state_id=39

Choose a city and click on "Get Caches"

Try to sort by Favorites -- it takes you to a url like this:

http://www.geocaching.com/local/default.aspx?lat=40.327102&lng=-80.037491&sortdir=desc&sort=fav

I don't think this is the way it's supposed to work. It's certainly not what I was expecting.

Found a bug as I was surfing the site... not sure if this is the right place to post it but here goes...

Go to

http://www.geocaching.com/local/default.aspx?state_id=39

Choose a city and click on "Get Caches"

Try to sort by Favorites -- it takes you to a url like this:

http://www.geocaching.com/local/default.aspx?lat=40.327102&lng=-80.037491&sortdir=desc&sort=fav

I don't think this is the way it's supposed to work. It's certainly not what I was expecting.

Looks like a URL issue. Interestingly, if you click one of the paging links first, such as "next >>" then sort on favorites, it will work correctly.

Sort of. The search goes out 50 miles from the city of choice, so the most favorite'd might not actually be in the same city <_<

Thanks for telling us about your situation, Starf. I am able to repro the issue when I spoof your login. We'll investigate and hopefully have the issue fixed shortly.

Something new on this issue? I'm still not able to favorite the named cache. See post #290.

Thanks for telling us about your situation, Starf. I am able to repro the issue when I spoof your login. We'll investigate and hopefully have the issue fixed shortly.

Something new on this issue? I'm still not able to favorite the named cache. See post #290.

Hi Starf,

This issue will be corrected with the next release of the site currently scheduled for next week.