Geocaching.com site update Dec 21st 2010

OpinioNate

I noticed on the beta map that the caches are color-coded. I rather like having the actual icons shown for the types of caches, the way they already show up. Is there a way to keep those even if you make the boxes small like they are on the beta map? Thanks. Dulce-Joy

Zoom in and you get the icons back. The icons are just too big to size when you zoom out to far. Do you really need to see a pretty picture each time?

Hi!

If you hear of others, please note them here so that we can add them, too.

Thanks!

Some more:

GCF55A - Four Windows: This one is a riddle about the North Pole and some days ago someone changed the type from virtual to locationless and another one changed it back to virtual. I'd prefer locationless ;-)

GCA7AD - Oben: This one is about the MIR

GCCFD9 - magnum's cache: About an antarctic station

In my eyes the first two caches should better be locationless instead of virtual as you had to tell name and location to get log allowance.

Bye,

Christian

BUG: If I preview a PQ and then click sort by 'Favorite', the first page shows caches which weren't in the original PQ

I have a PQ that returns the 500 closest to home caches. When I preview the PQ, the farthest one is about 12 miles away. If I then click to sort by Favorites, it returns many caches that are farther away, up to the radius specified in the PQ, and does not return others that are closer to home.

It appears that the sorted preview is selecting caches by number of favorites first, and then distance from home. This is an option I would like available when setting up the PQ. Otherwise, I would like to be able to generate a list of results and sort THOSE results.

scraping the site for details of 5 new caches must be less server demanding than generating a PQ with 1000 caches in!( yes you can filter new caches in a pq, but the chance of getting a FTF after waiting 3 hours for a pq to be ran may not be to everyones tastes).

favotite caches a simple vote out of 10 for each cache found would be better than a 10% voting rating.

generating stats that show distance from home and setting then to show as default( yes you can select to turn them off)is just lack of respect for peoples security.

i feel gc.com have got it very wrong

no they didn't, the PQ's work fine

where did you get the idea that it takes 3 hours for one to arrive?...i get them almost instantly

and why would you use PQ's if you want to be FTF and not use the Notifications? :blink:

notifications are fine to let you know a/some caches have gone live but a pq is much better to parse to various outputs for mobile apps, memorymap , tomtom etc and to distrubute to other team members this info is then only downloaded once for the whole team then viewed offline rather than having multiple team members viewing cache pages.

yes PQ are generated much faster than they used to be but less then a year ago it did often take 3 hours

Is it possible that this site update is what broke the Windows Phone 7 app for everyone? At least 20 users have reported problems and it seems that the problems may have started at the same time as the site update. At first I thought it was the new version of the WP7 app, but now I think it is actually the site update... Please look into it, I had some caching planned this weekend and rely on the WP7 app! ;-)

Forum text now seems to be dark gray on a light gray background. I can't find a control panel to change this. Gen-Xers designers need to understand that we old fogies cannot read low-contrast text without eyestrain. Please pay some attention to web accessibility guidelines, especially those for older people.

Try going to the bottom of the page. To the left of the language pull down menu is another one. Pull that menu and select IP Board. That will get the gray to very light blue which sure helped me.

Cache listings are not displaying properly when viewed from a mobile phone (Nokia N97), the favourites icon is pushing the listing date etc. to the right and covering the log, watch etc. box. Selecting watch listing also currently does nothing, it just refreshes the cache listing.

This all worked fine prior to the site upgrades.

The same issue is described and shown in posts 186 and 191, just on different devices.

Edited by Tatty

Lots of great new features--thanks for all the hard work Groundspeak!

Two comments/suggestions from the changes I've seen:

1. When I click on the forums link from my geocaching.com homepage (IE8), the forums open up for a guest user and I need to sign in again. I don't remember having to do this before...is there a way to have a global login for all the Groundspeak sites?

2. When I submit a log for finding a cache on the geocaching.com site, the page that pops up with the final text of the log and the edit/delete/upload photo links now has a huge box at the top of the page listing your "favorites" status. Can this box be relocated to the bottom of the page under the log text or shrunk down to 1 or 2 lines so I don't need to scroll down the page in order to review my log? (14 inch screen with 1280x800 resolution)

Thanks again.

2. When I submit a log for finding a cache on the geocaching.com site, the page that pops up with the final text of the log and the edit/delete/upload photo links now has a huge box at the top of the page listing your "favorites" status. Can this box be relocated to the bottom of the page under the log text or shrunk down to 1 or 2 lines so I don't need to scroll down the page in order to review my log? (14 inch screen with 1280x800 resolution)

Thanks again.

I'd like to see this too. I added it to the feedback site yesterday.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1317401-move-favorites-box-on-log-confirmation-page?ref=title

Is anyone else having trouble uploading photos since the site update? I can't upload (jpeg) from Firefox (3.6.13, even tried disabling greasemonkey scripts) or IE8. I'm on a pc running Windows XP pro. I just keep getting "Your request has resulted in an error. Please return to this site's home page to continue."

Everything else is looking spiffy.

jrr

till can't sort by distance after doing a keyword/cache name search.

I don't think you ever could. It only shows distance if you search based on a location.

Doesn't chance the fact that this has been one of the most requested features for YEARS.

Why make other searches sortable by distance, but not keyword/name searches?

There is absolutely no way for anyone to search for keyword/names. Not even PM's. Yeah, I know the box is on the search page, but the results are absolutely useless. They are returned in no useful order. I could search for the word "bridge", and I have to manually search dozens of pages before I get one that's anywhere near me.

Currently, the only way to do this is to blanket the area I want with PQ's, then use offline tools to do this.

Favorites are fine and all, but I really can't see using them much nor assigning favorites to the 800 plus available to me. But I can understand, sort of. Numbers hound that I am-- almost-- I ain't that particular. A smiley is a smiley. And yes, I do appreciate the quality hides.

What I would like to see, or rather NOT see, is the box that appears every time I log a cache that tells me, rather breathlessly, that I only have "x" finds to go until I get another vote. That is really unnecessary and already annoying.

While I am at it, please move this favorites thing to the bottom of the right hand column. The useful stuff should be at the top. Thankfully the type of GPS is moved way down. I really did know since I look at it daily.

One last observation.... beta maps don't work for me. No matter what I do they only show Seattle with no options. I will take that as I should do a road trip! :laughing:

Nice update!

BUG: If I preview a PQ and then click sort by 'Favorite', the first page shows caches which weren't in the original PQ

Can you link me to that PQ so I can reproduce this? Thanks.

This is my 500 closest to home unfound

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?pq=163a608c-b1a3-4c31-85a8-680eaeb73564

As it stands, the last one on the list is 17.9 miles from home

When I sort by favourite it just lists the 500 caches in the UK with the most votes. The first one being

93 miles away 'Royal Observatory Greenwich Cache'

Thanks

What I would like to see, or rather NOT see, is the box that appears every time I log a cache that tells me, rather breathlessly, that I only have "x" finds to go until I get another vote. That is really unnecessary and already annoying.

+1.

Am I really going to whoop and emote once I've logged another six caches and have an extra vote to add to the existing 201? No, of course not . . . wander off in search of another cup of tea, more like!

scraping the site for details of 5 new caches must be less server demanding than generating a PQ with 1000 caches in!( yes you can filter new caches in a pq, but the chance of getting a FTF after waiting 3 hours for a pq to be ran may not be to everyones tastes).

favotite caches a simple vote out of 10 for each cache found would be better than a 10% voting rating.

generating stats that show distance from home and setting then to show as default( yes you can select to turn them off)is just lack of respect for peoples security.

where did you get the idea that it takes 3 hours for one to arrive?...i get them almost instantly

and why would you use PQ's if you want to be FTF and not use the Notifications? :blink:

notifications are fine to let you know a/some caches have gone live but a pq is much better to parse to various outputs for mobile apps, memorymap , tomtom etc and to distrubute to other team members this info is then only downloaded once for the whole team then viewed offline rather than having multiple team members viewing cache pages.

yes PQ are generated much faster than they used to be but less then a year ago it did often take 3 hours

well, we're talking now, not 1 year ago

but anyway, i was under the impression that you're not supposed to share PQ's

someone correct me if i'm wrong

app for webos isn't working. I use a palm pre and when I search for caches it keeps telling me none found. Is this due to the update on the web page?

In The Palm app catalog, use 'Geocaching for webOS' it works perfectly.

i just reinstalled the app and it is still showing No caches found. I checked with the Developer and he is working on a fix.

so we are not allowed to share PQs with other team members who use the same account well thats new to me!

so we are not allowed to share PQs with other team members who use the same account well thats new to me!

to me that's what the "Groundspeak DATA LICENSE AGREEMENT" implies, the license you agreed to before being allowed to get PQ's

the way i see it is that PQ are a benefit for being PM

to be PM you pay a membership per person, there is no such thing as Group Membership

but as i said, i could be wrong....perhaps someone from the GC staff can confirm

Edited by t4e

to me that's what the "Groundspeak DATA LICENSE AGREEMENT" implies, the license you agreed to before being allowed to get PQ's

to be PM you pay a membership per person, there is no such thing as Group Membership

but as i said, i could be wrong....perhaps someone from the GC staff can confirm

If members of the same team using the same account use the same PQ I really don't think the black helicopters will appear over head. Think Dad, Mom, and kids. As for an official statement, probably won't happen. A while back there was quite a long thread about this subject. The internet lawyers were arguing points while waiting for the cows to come home. OpinioNate told us an interesting story about making a copy of a music CD that you share with your brother. It may or may not had relevance to the discuss at that time and in might have relevance to this discussion.

I concur with some of the other posts that state that this was, by far, the best upgrade as far as adding useful functionality for the geocacher, that I have seen in years! Thanks, guys!! I am especially looking forward to seeing the new mapping features!

One minor gripe, if I may, with the new forums... can links open on a new tab, like they used to?

PS: No more forum timeouts!! Yeah!!

Edited by knowschad

I love the look of the new Beta map as well as the embedded statistics. That said, will you be putting up the county maps that were one of my geocaching profile's cooler features? Better still, a county-by-county counting/map shading feature? the thing I miss most about the "It's not about the numbers" website was tracking counties/states/etc.

More weirdness. I just ran 3 PQs. All 3 generated right away. When I went to download them from the download tab, they deleted as I click on each one. Then ran copies of 2 of those 3 PQs. Same thing. They deleted as I clicked on them to download. :sad:

Same to me:

I´ve seen my PQs in the DL-List. But while clicking one, the other disapeared from the list, before I had a chance to download it. <_<:mad:

More weirdness. I just ran 3 PQs. All 3 generated right away. When I went to download them from the download tab, they deleted as I click on each one. Then ran copies of 2 of those 3 PQs. Same thing. They deleted as I clicked on them to download. :sad:

Same to me:

I´ve seen my PQs in the DL-List. But while clicking one, the other disapeared from the list, before I had a chance to download it. <_<:mad:

Same here, my four PQ's have just gone bye bye - great for those holiday updates eh?!?!?! :mad:

Same to me:

Same here, my four PQ's have just gone bye bye - great for those holiday updates eh?!?!?! :mad:

I experienced this as well with the My Finds PQ. Now I have to wait for them to fix this problem AND wait for the button to become active again. And to top it off, I am unable to sign in to the Feedback site to vote for this very topic. Their last update really botched things up this time.

edit: I finally was able to log in to the feedback site. There are 3 topics there about this PQ problem already.

Edited by ScarabDrowner
One minor gripe, if I may, with the new forums... can links open on a new tab, like they used to?
Your browser probably has a middle-click or shift-click or command-click or ctrl-click or alt-click function that will open links in new windows/tabs just the way you want. As a bonus, this feature will work elsewhere on the web.

Personally, I prefer that the links not open new windows/tabs automatically. I'd prefer to choose how to open the links in my browser, rather than having the site force its choice upon me.

When I click on the "view in beta maps" it directs me to the same location where I was looking in the original maps, but when I click on the "Back to original maps" from the beta maps section, it takes me to Green Lake in Seattle.

I fixed this oversight with the latest version of my Geocaching Google Map Enhancements Greasemonkey script. There's also some other neat features in there that I just added.

Is this just me or is it something that will be fixed at a later date?

Hopefully Groundspeak will fix this, but even more hopefully, they'll just finish adding all the filtering and other functionality to the new Maps and just get rid of the old maps soon.

If members of the same team using the same account use the same PQ I really don't think the black helicopters will appear over head. Think Dad, Mom, and kids. As for an official statement, probably won't happen. A while back there was quite a long thread about this subject. The internet lawyers were arguing points while waiting for the cows to come home. OpinioNate told us an interesting story about making a copy of a music CD that you share with your brother. It may or may not had relevance to the discuss at that time and in might have relevance to this discussion.

not sure how he used the analogy with copying a cd and sharing it with his brother, but that in the eyes of the Copyright peeps is a copyright infringement, the only time you're allowed to copy a CD is for PERSONAL use...i.e. for yourself only, which means you can make a copy to keep in the car

i'm sure the black suburbans won;t show up if you share a PQ with your team members, the fact remains that technically there is no allowance for Group Accounts, the person registering the name is the sole beneficiary of the Premium Account and the one responsible to follow the rules as well as the one held responsible for not doing so

having said that, nobody can possibly see/control24/7 what you doing behind the screen, admitting it public is a different story, more so admitting that you are not aware of the Terms and Conditions of something you agreed to is not good :bad:

Regarding the new Statistics page...

I can understand why non-Premium members do not have all the fancy statistics for their own accounts, but why can't non-Premium members see the statistics page of Premium members?

Not only would this be very cool for your non-Premium friends to be able to see your stats, but it's also an opportunity to upsell them to a Premium membership when they see what they are missing out on themselves.

:)

Regarding the new Statistics page...

I can understand why non-Premium members do not have all the fancy statistics for their own accounts, but why can't non-Premium members see the statistics page of Premium members?

Not only would this be very cool for your non-Premium friends to be able to see your stats, but it's also an opportunity to upsell them to a Premium membership when they see what they are missing out on themselves.

:)

I like your idea!

Several years ago in a moment of stupidity, I logged GC55A5, Änglamarken, a mis-identified traditional that was an armchair virtual. Now it shows up as my furthest cache as well as most northerly. I would guess this is the case for many a geocacher. I'm very willing to delete my log on this one but it seems the correct action would be to change the category to a virtual and exclude it from the statistics.

Please advise if this is a possibility.

Thanks.

I'll get this added to the list we keep for traveling and armchair caches, all of which are excluded for determination of distance statistics. If you hear of others, please note them here so that we can add them, too.

Thanks!

Could this one be added to the list as well?

GCNJCX

Thanks.

app for webos isn't working. I use a palm pre and when I search for caches it keeps telling me none found. Is this due to the update on the web page?

In The Palm app catalog, use 'Geocaching for webOS' it works perfectly.

i just reinstalled the app and it is still showing No caches found. I checked with the Developer and he is working on a fix.

Good to hear. Georgo is very open to suggestions and tends to respond very quickly to bug fixes. If you havent already try the Beta app, it has a lot of really cool features not in the stable version.

I'm not sure if this bug is related to this update, but I've not seen it before today, so I will post here:

If I create a new bookmark list, I am unable to edit it. I receive the following message when I click on the "Edit" hyperlink:

Error Occurred

You do not have permissions to edit this bookmark list.

This only occurs for new bookmark lists that I create. I am able to edit bookmark lists that I created in the past.

For the devs, I created a list called "New List" as an example list that I am unable to edit.

Geocaching Statistics: Love it, It has eliminated the need to put this info under "Profile Information:" The only suggestion I would have would be the option to add maps (IE - World Map -- Country's Map -- State/Provence Map). Looks like the Groundspeak Lackeys are doing a great job. Keep it up.

I love the look of the new Beta map as well as the embedded statistics. That said, will you be putting up the county maps that were one of my geocaching profile's cooler features? Better still, a county-by-county counting/map shading feature? the thing I miss most about the "It's not about the numbers" website was tracking counties/states/etc.

I agree, the Maps is the only thing missing from the new stats