Geocaching.com site update Dec 21st 2010

OpinioNate

I posted this in another thread and now I see it could have been posted here instead...

I write to ask for a neat addition that should be veary easy to add. One column on the http://www.geocachin...m/my/owned.aspx page to display the Favorites to make it a snap to see what of our caches are liked the most. In the coming days that's a page many of us will look at to see how many Fav we are getting with more people everyday looking at this new feature.

Yeah it was my bad I jumped the gun. I checked out the developers web page he expected it a few days ago when the update was announced. Getting a Garmin for Christmas I don't plan on using c:geo afterwards. It's an awesome program, but the battery life is horrible.

If you use PQs, try using GeoHunter: doesn't violate Groundspeak TOS, doesn't break after every site update and doesn't used battery life too badly since you're operating via an offline database.

Edited by joshism

Thanks so much for all the improvements! Favorites was a great idea.

Credit where it's due: Many people have independently suggested the 10% method, but as far as I know Markwell was the first to introduce the concept "many moons ago". He has been a positive influence on the game since the beginning, and deserves recognition. He has helped me personally many times over the years with bug reports and feature ideas. Thanks Markwell. :grin:

I'll get this added to the list we keep for traveling and armchair caches, all of which are excluded for determination of distance statistics. If you hear of others, please note them here so that we can add them, too. Thanks!

An early cache was moved way out in the Pacific Ocean to save the waypoint. This was years ago before all the tools and statistics were available. It is GCA8BE - Emerald Oasis. Actual coords when I found it were: N 37° 42.629 W 121° 52.446

The current location removes the true most westerly cache for all finders. It should be moved back to the mainland or locked out of statistics.

Thanks.

Went to change my avatar. Go to account details page, click change under the avatar, select the avatar, then click on the re-register the changes link - 404. Can you fix the problem so I can retire Dr. Zodberg until next year?

Edit: had to go into the forums, click the log out on the top right and then re-login in. So I guess fix the link or remove the link and just have the text.

Edited by jholly

1. If you hear of others, please note them here so that we can add them, too.

Thanks!
  2. Please can I add some to the list, of moving caches or those where you find as a team:
  3. GC45CC Ye Olde Survey Monuments
  4. GCCF79 The Rock That Rolls (From Texas but made it to the 1st UK Mega)
  5. Then the Peter Pan Series:
  6. GC18GZC Liverpool
  7. GC1899C Camden
  8. GC183ZQ Perth
  9. GC18DGA Toronto
  10. GC1958W Brussels
  11. GC1988Q St Johns
  12. GC188J7 London
  13. Thanks.

PS I did not add the numbers in?

Edited by gushoneybun

If you hear of others, please note them here so that we can add them, too.

Thanks!

Then the Peter Pan Series:

The Peter Pan series does not look like a series of armchair or traveling caches, but multis starting at the specified coordinates. You should log the local version of the cache while the people with whom you team up should log their own local version, right? Am I missing something?

I'll get this added to the list we keep for traveling and armchair caches, all of which are excluded for determination of distance statistics. If you hear of others, please note them here so that we can add them, too. Thanks!

An early cache was moved way out in the Pacific Ocean to save the waypoint. This was years ago before all the tools and statistics were available. It is GCA8BE - Emerald Oasis. Actual coords when I found it were: N 37° 42.629 W 121° 52.446

The current location removes the true most westerly cache for all finders. It should be moved back to the mainland or locked out of statistics.

Thanks.

Thanks. I put this one back at the original location and re-archived.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but here's an issue.

When I click on the "view in beta maps" it directs me to the same location where I was looking in the original maps, but when I click on the "Back to original maps" from the beta maps section, it takes me to Green Lake in Seattle.

Is this just me or is it something that will be fixed at a later date?

Thanks for all the great updates. Having a blast using them.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but here's an issue.

When I click on the "view in beta maps" it directs me to the same location where I was looking in the original maps, but when I click on the "Back to original maps" from the beta maps section, it takes me to Green Lake in Seattle.

Same here. Instead of clicking "Back to original maps", click the Back button.

I believe this will be fixed later. Or when old maps will retire. :P

Edited by Rhialto
This post has been edited by Rhialto: Today, 01:49 PM
Previously this added text was tiny and not sure if it was also in a different color (lighter gray?). Now it looks like we have added it ourself.

Doesn't this latest IPB version let us choose 24hrs format clock? Have you hidden this setting?

Don't know if it's new to this update or not, but if you click on "View all {XX} bookmark lists..." to see the rest of the bookmarks that include the current cache you're viewing, it takes you instead to YOUR bookmark manager and shows all of YOUR bookmark lists.

I noticed this same behavior as well. Definitely broken. No way to see all the bookmark lists that a specific cache is listed on now. The "View All Bookmark lists" on a cache page that's listed on more than 3 bookmark lists shouldn't take me to http://www.geocaching.com/my/lists.aspx

If you hear of others, please note them here so that we can add them, too.

Thanks!

Then the Peter Pan Series:

The Peter Pan series does not look like a series of armchair or traveling caches, but multis starting at the specified coordinates. You should log the local version of the cache while the people with whom you team up should log their own local version, right? Am I missing something?

I logged them all :blink: after finding my local it was a few years ago and others did log all of them. Looking at Liverpool's cache page it says:

If any of your team of friends with whom you have swopped Longitudes and Latitudes claim a find, then you can also claim their (overseas) find. This gives you a total of seven possible claimed finds.

On my profile page I use GSAK and corrected all the coords to the Liverpool one to save claiming finds in other countries.

I logged them all :blink: after finding my local it was a few years ago and others did log all of them.

Thanks, but I don't think we're ready to open the can of worms that adjusting for caches with "alternative" logging practices will entail just yet. :)

I was young ;) probably best to leave that one then. Thanks to you all for your hard work.:D

Yeah it was my bad I jumped the gun. I checked out the developers web page he expected it a few days ago when the update was announced. Getting a Garmin for Christmas I don't plan on using c:geo afterwards. It's an awesome program, but the battery life is horrible.

If you use PQs, try using GeoHunter: doesn't violate Groundspeak TOS, doesn't break after every site update and doesn't used battery life too badly since you're operating via an offline database.

Personally I think that one fav point every ten logs is way too much. As I like the rating concept by only rewarding good caches I was unsure if I should write that. I am convinced that far less than 10% of Geocaches are real 'highlights' that should be rewarded. I feel that it should be more between 2-5%. I know that I do not have to spend all my votes and currently I am far from it but perhaps there can be added a sentence to the voting system that makes clear that it is perfectly ok to keep the votes. I fear that the way it is now some people may feel urged to spend all their votes and so many caches that are not as good might get many votes too.

And one side-note on other rating systems using stars like GCVote. I do not think that this is superfluous now. I think both systems can be used side by side each having its own advantage. So I would love to see if it will be supported (or tolerated) like it was before. Not that I would say it is no longer but please don't try to ban it or something similar as there now is a Groundspeak internal voting system. I love both systems and would love being able using them both in the future.

Thanks for the great update!

Tim

Personally I think that one fav point every ten logs is way too much. As I like the rating concept by only rewarding good caches I was unsure if I should write that. I am convinced that far less than 10% of Geocaches are real 'highlights' that should be rewarded. I feel that it should be more between 2-5%.
When I started marking my favorites, I adopted a similar attitude. After marking the "best of the best" highlights, I had a lot of votes left over. Then I started marking all the caches that I "liked a lot", and ran out of votes before I was done. So then I pruned the list and was still able to include many that I'd like to acknowledge as favorites even though they aren't quite the "best of the best".

Anyway, from one perspective, allowing 10% of your finds to be listed is on the generous side. While 10% is selective enough to be workable, changing the ratio to 2% or 5% would force people to be more selective, listing only caches they consider "real highlights". Reducing the ratio would make each vote more significant.

However, using the less selective ratio of 10% may be more useful for those hoping to seek interesting caches. The ratio is still selective enough for votes to be meaningful, but the votes can be spread out a little more. One goal (gleaned from one of Jeremy's posts) seems to be for truly exceptional caches to receive a lot of votes, but for most good caches to receive at least a few votes. From that perspective, it makes sense to keep the ratio higher—not so high that votes become meaningless, but high enough that people aren't overly stingy with them.

Credit where it's due: Many people have independently suggested the 10% method, but as far as I know Markwell was the first to introduce the concept "many moons ago". He has been a positive influence on the game since the beginning, and deserves recognition. He has helped me personally many times over the years with bug reports and feature ideas. Thanks Markwell.

Thanks, but with the new and improved forums search capabilities, I found the thread from "Many Moons Ago"

We’ve talked about this type of thing many times over the past year, but my favorite methodology would be the “favorites list”.

It would work like this:

For each 10 finds, a cacher is allowed to add one cache to their favorites list. (Your own caches could not be placed on the list, however.) For example, I have 90 finds currently. I could therefore place up to 9 caches in my favorite list. For someone with 400 finds, they could place up to 40 caches in their list. This number would be a maximum, not an absolute. If, for example, I only wanted to put 5 in my list, I could do so.

Next, this list would be displayed on the profile page if desired. (A check box could be used titled: “Display My Favorites”.) This way, the list could be displayed if someone desires, but could also be anonymous for those that don’t want their selections displayed.

Also, the cache page itself would have a line on it like this: ”3 cachers added this cache to their favorites.” This would be displayed in a similar fashion to the: “2 watching this cache” line.

If desired, that line could be hot-linked to another page where the names of the cachers that selected this cache are displayed. This page would be, in essence, a list of everyone that really liked this cache. If any anonymous cachers had added it to their favorites list, you would see a line on the bottom of the list like this: “and 3 anonymous cachers.”

Finally, all non-anonymous cachers names would be hot-linked to their profile page so you could see more about the cachers that selected this particular cache.

I perceive that any such “voting” system would be a hefty undertaking on Jeremy’s part. I imagine such a thing would require several changes to the backend DB and quite a bit of code modification. I won’t be holding my breadth that any voting system gets implemented any time soon.

Looks like Brokenwing came up with most of the current implementation, with the exception that the favorites be hot-linked to user accounts. All I added to the conversation was this post. Evidently, all I added to the original posts was some nay-saying. However, I did take up the cause and run with it, and try to really push it to the fullest (it's not there yet).

But thanks for the kind words, nonetheless.

scraping the site for details of 5 new caches must be less server demanding than generating a PQ with 1000 caches in!( yes you can filter new caches in a pq, but the chance of getting a FTF after waiting 3 hours for a pq to be ran may not be to everyones tastes).

favotite caches a simple vote out of 10 for each cache found would be better than a 10% voting rating.

generating stats that show distance from home and setting then to show as default( yes you can select to turn them off)is just lack of respect for peoples security.

i feel gc.com have got it very wrong

no they didn't, the PQ's work fine

where did you get the idea that it takes 3 hours for one to arrive?...i get them almost instantly

and why would you use PQ's if you want to be FTF and not use the Notifications? :blink:

Forum bugs fixed:

• signature lines now update (logout/in to take effect)
  • escaped characters in usernames (',& etc) no longer prevent login

Hotfix going out shortly:

• bookmark links on cache pages (currently link to your private lists instead of shared list)
  • Avatars missing on Users Who Favorited This Cache page

what have you done to this site :( rubbish now, shows all caches even the ones i have found, cant send them to my gps and wont let me update my home cords rubbish rubbish!!"!

I guess this confusing sentiment is related in some way to the Maps BETA. I think you'll find all the old mapping-related features are intact if you prefer them. In the next couple releases the Maps BETA will be more feature-rich. Thanks for the feedback!

AOL, it was fine before but the map page is a blank white square when i click search on google maps ?

would help to explain your problem in more detail, where you are trying to access the map from...front page, cache page, profile page?

and FYI maps work just fine here too

Edited by t4e

On the cache details page, is there a problem with div/float/span stuff around the new favorites counter?

My Android 2.1 phone (default browser) has displayed these pages without problems until now. Since the update, I have the following layout problem:

The table containing owner, difficulty, size, etc. is placed to the right of the cache name, instead of below. This causes "hidden" etc to overlap with the navigation box. The box containing # of times favorited is placed correctly relative to the bottom part of the page (coordinates box etc). However, favorite count overlaps with part of the mentioned table (terrain rating etc).

As mentioned, the phone browser matched Safari/Firefox perfectly before the update.

the maps bit works on IE7 but wont work on AOL, i click on the find a cache link, then click search with google maps and before it use to bring up a map with caches on in the US? i then put in where i wanted and it would come up :) bit of a pain i will have to log on to IE7 everytime i wish tio use this site and load caches to my colorado :(

Great update, really enjoying the new features - especially the favorites.

I did notice one minor bug that I don't think has been reported. If you click on "View who favorited this cache", when a cache has not been favorited, you see:

Total Records 1 - 0 of 0

Also, any chance of localizing the word "favorite" to "favourite", for those of us around the world who spell differently? :) I'm a software developer myself, and I know that my english speaking users really appreciated it when I localized my software to account for different english spellings of various words.

the maps bit works on IE7 but wont work on AOL, i click on the find a cache link, then click search with google maps and before it use to bring up a map with caches on in the US? i then put in where i wanted and it would come up :) bit of a pain i will have to log on to IE7 everytime i wish tio use this site and load caches to my colorado :(

why not run PQ's to load caches to your GPS and also much easier to just go from your profile page and click on the "Map It" to the right of "Search for nearest geocaches from your home location (filter out finds)."

The formatting near the top of a cache page is messed up: Depending on how wide my browser window is, part of the Difficulty and Terrain ratings, as well as the Hidden date, may be in the same space as the "log your visit" box. The partial screen image below shows the problem.

I'm using Safari 3.0.4 on an iMac under OS X 10.4.11.

f68931c1-d65e-43e2-b2a6-ca3269988d5c.jpg

Great, great, great updates. Best in years.

I will add some notes to the list...

1) Will PMs be able to filter PQs based on favorites? Someone else also mentioned that when you click the link to preview caches from the PQ page, and then try to sort the page by favorites, there is an error. Being able to sort route PQs by favorites would be invaluable for long trips where I can only stop for maybe 10 caches.

2) Will more statistics be added (such as a states map showing where members have found caches and a FTF list)?

3) I second a previous poster who suggested that a favorites column be added to the following page: http://www.geocaching.com/my/owned.aspx.

4) Will number of favorites be integrated into GPX files?

Thank you so much for the great improvements. Can't wait for the final version of the new maps page.

Edited by adaman797
I'll get this added to the list we keep for traveling and armchair caches, all of which are excluded for determination of distance statistics. If you hear of others, please note them here so that we can add them, too.

Until today, I didn't realize there were any active Traveling Caches left. I learned there were when this cache showed up nearby: http://coord.info/GC1965

This list of Traveling & Armchair caches you speak of: is this list available somewhere to all us cachers, like say a public Bookmark list?

The formatting near the top of a cache page is messed up: Depending on how wide my browser window is, part of the Difficulty and Terrain ratings, as well as the Hidden date, may be in the same space as the "log your visit" box. The partial screen image below shows the problem.

I'm using Safari 3.0.4 on an iMac under OS X 10.4.11.

not a problem here in any browser, time to get rid of the apples and switch to oranges i guess :anibad:

Someone else also mentioned that when you click the link to preview caches from the PQ page, and then try to sort the page by favorites, there is an error. Being able to sort PQs by favorites

That may have been me specifically commenting on route PQs. When I tried it tonight, it worked. So either it was a temporary resource issue or something got fixed.

Someone else also mentioned that when you click the link to preview caches from the PQ page, and then try to sort the page by favorites, there is an error. Being able to sort PQs by favorites

That may have been me specifically commenting on route PQs. When I tried it tonight, it worked. So either it was a temporary resource issue or something got fixed.

I should have checked it myself... :rolleyes: Sorry, and thanks for letting me know. :)

why not run PQ's to load caches to your GPS and also much easier to just go from your profile page and click on the "Map It" to the right of "Search for nearest geocaches from your home location (filter out finds)."

You're missing the biggest issue here. He's using the AOL browser, which I believe is based on IE5.

No one is, or will alter their software to support this.

BTW, I joined AOL in early 1992. DOS version 1.6. I stayed with them because of one message board.

[Edit]Freaking board ate half my message

Edited by Don_J