Geocaching.com site update Dec 21st 2010

OpinioNate

Beta map doesn't show which caches I have already found.

This first implementation is only the beginning. Once we see how the map tile engine is working under load we can set a baseline and begin adding additional functionality such as smilies, filtering, PQs and more. This is the first of several consecutive upgrades to occur each month through March, so keep checking back.

See my quote above. We'll add more features once we're confident the tech is sound.

Hmm getting a 503 error when trying to access the main page. Anyone else?

Yes, already one-and-a-half hours of 503 errors ...

One of the servers in rotation was giving this error. We found it and restarted - everything should be up and running now.

Is there a place to turn on and off what stats you want to display?

What about the Delorme map page challenges, will they be added?

You can turn off your stats in your account settings. In the next phase we plan to allow you to control which stats you would like to share, as well as add maps and milestone stats to the mix.

Love it, Like it was said before you guys ROCK !!!!!!!

One thought.

Could there be a check-box to just not show the distance of the closest cache to your Home Coords?

Many get puzzles fake coords right on our house so when they found them it is easy to figure out where certain cachers live. Some people would want that kept unknown, but would still like the great STAT page.

Thanks again and again and again.......................

Just like "Roseanne Roseannadanna" use to say "NEVERMIND....................

These are BETA maps, the additional functionality is coming in the next months, think that is what the opening post showed or maybe even the popup shows 9.01 and 9.02 if you scroll right.

Odd I have a different issue. I see all caches, found or not, except PMO caches. I am signed in so the system should know to show them. Just commenting since I haven't seen it discussed anywhere else.

These are BETA maps, the additional functionality is coming in the next months, think that is what the opening post showed or maybe even the popup shows 9.01 and 9.02 if you scroll right.

Odd I have a different issue. I see all caches, found or not, except PMO caches. I am signed in so the system should know to show them. Just commenting since I haven't seen it discussed anywhere else.

I can duplicate this issue.

IE8 Vista Home Premium SP2

Safari 5.0.3 on the same system

Edited by Dr. House

I can duplicate this issue.

IE8 Vista Home Premium SP2

Safari 5.0.3 on the same system

Filtering is not implemented in this release of the maps, hence the PMO caches would not show up as they would need to be filtered based on user type.

-Raine

looks like the beta map uses a precompiled (bitmap?) overlay just as i suspected. caches published earlier today don't show up.

looks like the beta map uses a precompiled (bitmap?) overlay just as i suspected. caches published earlier today don't show up.

How often they update is variable, and for this release is set at a fairly conservative rate until we know the site can handle the map traffic. After a while we'll find the sweet spot so the data isn't too stale.

NO e-mail notifications on finds here either.

Agree that the favourite points count should be below the regular log stuff!

New LISTS menu item is missing the nice link section on top of the page (Quick view - lists - etc). Also, navigation between different types of lists (watchlist/bookmarks/favourites) is only partially present.

Looking forward to distance unit preference being systematically applied.

Noticed that "Bookmark It" and "Send to GPS" features are not supported with the new map when you click on the cache to see the pop up :blink: Is that a bug, or something coming with the next update?

What popup? The new map does not appear to be interactive in any manner. It just shows distribution of caches but does not allow for selecting, identifying caches, or otherwise interacting with anything on the map -- at least for me.

Noticed that "Bookmark It" and "Send to GPS" features are not supported with the new map when you click on the cache to see the pop up :blink: Is that a bug, or something coming with the next update?

What popup? The new map does not appear to be interactive in any manner. It just shows distribution of caches but does not allow for selecting, identifying caches, or otherwise interacting with anything on the map -- at least for me.

If you zoom in far enough you can begin clicking on caches.

Is there a way to opt in or out of automatic statistics, a way to choose which ones to display or a way to make them private altogether?

Yes. You may go to "Your Account Details" to turn it off.

Yes, I turned it off since it does not appear to allow you to select what statistics you want or to select a more readable color. I'll stick with my own generated stats from GSAK which allow me to select exactly what I want to show.

Several years ago in a moment of stupidity, I logged GC55A5, Änglamarken, a mis-identified traditional that was an armchair virtual. Now it shows up as my furthest cache as well as most northerly. I would guess this is the case for many a geocacher. I'm very willing to delete my log on this one but it seems the correct action would be to change the category to a virtual and exclude it from the statistics.

Please advise if this is a possibility.

Thanks.

Several years ago in a moment of stupidity, I logged GC55A5, Änglamarken, a mis-identified traditional that was an armchair virtual. Now it shows up as my furthest cache as well as most northerly. I would guess this is the case for many a geocacher. I'm very willing to delete my log on this one but it seems the correct action would be to change the category to a virtual and exclude it from the statistics.

virtuals aren't supposed to be excluded from the stats as they aren't supposed to be "locationless" in the first place. you're supposed to have been at the location and thus the stats would be accurate.

i do have the same problem though.

I love that I can add a Favorite vote on a cache.

What I would like is the option to hide the Favorites list on my profile so that nobody can see which caches I have Favorited. I can foresee cachers trolling for Favorite points.I would rather that whether I have any Favorite points to give or if I have consistently avoided giving any Favorites to caches by a certain cacher would be kept private if I wanted it to be.

Thanks.

I'll get this added to the list we keep for traveling and armchair caches, all of which are excluded for determination of distance statistics. If you hear of others, please note them here so that we can add them, too.

Thanks!

Anyone else having problems with nearby searches on the c:geo app for the Droid?
Unauthorized third-party apps that scrape the web site should be expected to break when the web site updates. In the past, the developer of this app has published a new version after each update of the geocaching.com site.

Thanks.

I'll get this added to the list we keep for traveling and armchair caches, all of which are excluded for determination of distance statistics. If you hear of others, please note them here so that we can add them, too.

Thanks!

It'd be nice if the Photographers cache series (traveling & locationless ?) were excluded as well. GC3866 is the one I had found.

Also, GCK0KR is a (long ago archived) armchair virtual in Germany.

Stats page:

It seems that "distance to finds" does not take into account the "Display Units" preferences.

Distance to finds shows Mi, my preference is "Use Metric Units"...

I have same complaint. I actually went back to make sure that the metric units was still my choice, and they are, but my stats display in imperial units. Need bug fix.

Hi!

Some first comments to the changes:

1. Forum: Not sure if these are working better or not. For me it looks a little bit less readable as it is grey in grey. The old forum was working for me but o.k., why not.

2. Beta Maps: Pro: My 30" display finally is useful now ;-) Con: No filtering, no legend, caches are not been shown out of the actual database (bad for me as I'm a FTF hunter :-) So right now I will definitely not use them as they make no sense for me at all at this stage of the development.

3. Favorites: I would prefer to get cache lists without this column as I don't care what others like so please make it configurable.

4. Found it!: Another completely useless column in the cache lists. I do know which caches I've found because you show my found date and a different backgound color in the list.

5. Stats: No need as I'm using GSAK ;-)

6. Very special: GCF55A (Four Windows). This cache was published as a virtual and someone of "you" seem to changed it to locationless in the last days which made lots of sense. But now the type went back to virtual.

7. @Moun10bike: Some more couch potato caches: GCA7AD (about Mir), GCCFD9 (arctic station), both should better be locationless than virtuals.

Bye,

Christian

Thanks.

Thanks!

It would be great if you could add GC4C35 - Cuckoo Cache (could be anywhere) to your list. It is a (still active) traveling cache

I love, love, LOVE the new trackables collection! I have been tired of looking at my inventory on my profile page and seeing so many of my own and trying to sort through them all. The other updates all seem awesome so far too! Thanks for a GREAT update this go around!