Why all the quote marks ?

sweetlife

Speaking of quote marks, I can't figure out why people want to quote EVERY post on a thread. Do they think the rest of us can't read the posts?? If the quotes were used sparingly it would make the forum a lot easier to read.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

In my opinion, it is easier to put a reply into context if you can see exactly what is being replied to. Further, embedded quotes which include entire mini-discussions are important to follow the conversation (and ensure that earlier points are not taken out of context).

In my opinion, it is easier to put a reply into context if you can see exactly what is being replied to. Further, embedded quotes which include entire mini-discussions are important to follow the conversation (and ensure that earlier points are not taken out of context).
At the same time, it's easier to put a reply into context if only the relevant context is quoted. Quoting several paragraphs just to reply to a comment in the fourth paragraph isn't any better than replying without quoting anything.

Speaking of quote marks, I can't figure out why people want to quote EVERY post on a thread. Do they think the rest of us can't read the posts?? If the quotes were used sparingly it would make the forum a lot easier to read.

I have to agree with sbell111 on this one.

At the same time, it's easier to put a reply into context if only the relevant context is quoted. Quoting several paragraphs just to reply to a comment in the fourth paragraph isn't any better than replying without quoting anything.

I certainly agree with that. Of course, just this morning, someone took a stab at me because I had apparently not responded to every single pearl in his post, instead only commenting on only the things that I felt like commenting on. Go figure...

I have to agree with sbell111 on this one.

On second thought... :blink:

Out of context.... haha ya that never happens with even quoted posts.... :P

Certainly, you will agree that as a third party it is easier to keep the context straight when it is all right there in front of you in embedded quotes.

A is good.
I disagree. Your argument that B is good is flawed for this reason.
I never took a position on B. A is good.
Your insistence that B is good is wrong for these seven reasons.
Good gravy.

I've been doing this along time, (1992). I will always edit quotes to remove the content that does not relate to my reply. If that means leaving three, or four, so be it. If it means cutting five out that have nothing to do with my reply, too bad. If someone want's to understand the conversation, start at the beginning. I did.

Quoting 15 deep to add a +1 is totally stupid.

I've been doing this along time, (1992). I will always edit quotes to remove the content that does not relate to my reply. If that means leaving three, or four, so be it. If it means cutting five out that have nothing to do with my reply, too bad. If someone want's to understand the conversation, start at the beginning. I did.

Quoting 15 deep to add a +1 is totally stupid.

The forums will not allow quotes to run 15 deep. Problem solved.

Unfortunately, there are too many people on these forums who get all butthurt about disagreement and edit their posts later on, making everybody else's replied look strange. Quoting their original post deters that kind of stupidity.

Unfortunately, there are too many people on these forums who get all butthurt about disagreement and edit their posts later on, making everybody else's replied look strange. Quoting their original post deters that kind of stupidity.

Narcissa speaks the truth when referencing folks that sometimes edit their original posts. I see it often enough too. I, like her, sometimes like to quote them just to memorialize the inane comments and keep them honest.