Geoget - freeware application for everything around Geocaching

geby

I can't even figure out how to migrate data from GSAK to geoget. I downloaded the macro, but I don't know Czech so I can't figure out what exactly I'm supposed to do when running it.

Since both geoget & GSAK are sqllite-backed, couldn't there be a database to database conversion process (ETL - Extract, Transform, Load) that doesn't require the use of a GSAK macro and intermediate GPX file? You're really just transforming from GSAK's database schema to your own.

Database conversion tool is not good idea, because you must reflect all database changes in both sides.

However conversion is easy. Export data from the GSAK into standard PocketQuery GPX and import it to Geoget. It transfer standard geocache information.

For export you handy-made information go to http://archaikum.cz/gc/gc_prg_gsak.php and download rsc_GSAK2Geoget macro. It create special GPX with your User Notes, User Data, User Data 2, User Data 3, User Data 4 and Corrected Coordinates. Import this GPX to Geoget. And you are done.

rsc_GSAK2Geoget is easy. It have three fields on the form. First is output directory.

Second and third field defines what will be exported and how to store it in the geoget. (Tag name...)

This is one of thing, what is different from GSAK. Here is not live view into database!

You allways working with some subset of database.

In other words, your original claim that the program is a replacement for GSAK was false.

Why? A replacement means something that can perform the same function. He never claimed it is a clone of GSAK. And why the hostility? (or maybe I'm just reading too much into your statement)

Edited by Chrysalides

Is there an English-speaking forum for this software? I found the "official" forum but AFAICT it's 100% Czech, and Google Translate can only do so much.

Well, I made an English discussion group for Geoget support now! See: https://groups.google.com/group/geoget

Of course, it cannot replace four years old Czech discussions, however when you have some questions or wishes, feel free to subscribe to this new GoogleGroup. Thank you.

I forgot one interesting advantage - exists offline geocaching application PocketDrake for Windows Mobile. It using same database format as Geoget. Synchronizatioun between PDA and your PC is extremly easy - just copy one file with database. It is fast and easy!

PocketDrake knows to display geocache information, find nearest one, navigate by a GPS, display caches and waypoints on the map (include offline one), create field-notes, and more.

Before a few days one developer on the forum reported the start of the application development for Android too. (Same way - using same database as Geoget.)

I though I'd try this as GSAK isn't very intuitive. But then I've found Geoget isn't really either. :(

The main disadvantage is that I don't read Czech! I understand that you say you don't have time to maintain a 'proper' English site, but to be honest it's why I didn't carry on with it.

I though I'd try this as GSAK isn't very intuitive. But then I've found Geoget isn't really either. :(

I found it harder to get started with GeoGet than GSAK myself too.

I understand what geby meant when talking about the database and working with a subset. It is a very database centric way of doing things, but it is not typically how an end user expect things to behave.

The UI is definitely more modern, and slightly better organized in some ways. The maps are really nice. I have not tried the macros yet.

Edited by Chrysalides

I understand what geby meant when talking about the database and working with a subset. It is a very database centric way of doing things, but it is not typically how an end user expect things to behave.

Go to library and ask here for the list of all their books. You probably got a list, if it is very small library only. But only crazy man ask this in the Library of Congress. ;)

However I not ignore your criticism and I preparing some improvements into next version. It help to novices how to work with program.

Go to library and ask here for the list of all their books. You probably got a list, if it is very small library only. But only crazy man ask this in the Library of Congress. ;)

However I not ignore your criticism and I preparing some improvements into next version. It help to novices how to work with program.

As I said, I've worked with database systems and know what you mean. However, from a user's point of view:

1. Run pocket query

2. Import into GeoGet

3. Hey, where's all the caches? It says imported 1000, but I only see a blank screen!

If you did not display the grid screen, but instead show a summary view of # of caches in the database, it would be less confusing.

The main disadvantage is that I don't read Czech! I understand that you say you don't have time to maintain a 'proper' English site, but to be honest it's why I didn't carry on with it.

Geoget web site is the Wiki-style. 95% of Czech web pages on the Geoget website is maintained by a Czech community.

You can use integrated Google translator. It is not a perfect, it is funny instead, but better then nothing. And you can ask freely on GoogleGroups, where three main supporters waiting for your questions.

It is not a problem to add some next English pages to the web too. But I cannot create full English web by myself. It is waiting for bigger English community, what does not exists yet.

It is not a problem to add some next English pages to the web too. But I cannot create full English web by myself. It is waiting for bigger English community, what does not exists yet.

You've got a chicken-and-egg problem. You need more help written for English speakers, but to do that you need English speakers who can figure out the program. And they can't figure out the program without at least a little bit of documentation they can easily understand.

Maybe your local university has a language department with some students looking to get some extra experience that could help you with some translations to get things started?

Bored students? :D

Far basic usage you need to know two sentences, what will be added into program GUI in next version. (Similar as Chrysalides suggestion.)

Who wish to know more and cannot understand it, they can ask. Each question can help with English documentation too.

For advanced usage you can use Google Translator. It is not a big problem. Want perfect documentation in your native language - on freeware project - is little selfish. Just because another commercial project have it?

And everyone knows - documentation was readed as last! ;)

I don't understand CZ language and i am not very good in english, i am french canadian and i use this very good software. It is free and it is the better geocaching software. This is my opinion but i ca say i like it and use it since some month and i love it.

I prefer this software than GSAK, it is my opinion. Free or paid software, i prefer this one to GSAK.

Tank you to give this superb software to practice geocaching and don't discourage in the developpement.

Tank you,

Pierre

Amazing. Many of you complaining about this software refuse to even try it. Others try it, but quit because you're not sure how to do something that you know how to do in GSAK. Really? So I guess that you instinctively knew exactly how to accomplish every needed/wanted task in GSAK the very first time you installed and tried it? I don't buy that.

I tried GSAK myself. I'm not extremely computer savvy. It was extremely complicated for me, not very user-friendly, so I quit using it. Had I stuck with it, I would eventually have learned how to do what I wanted/needed to do. Which is exactly the same thing with this new software.

I have manufactured products in the past, and marketed & sold those products, quite successfully. I have always freely admitted that "my" product could never be the "best" product for everyone, since everyone has different needs/desires/priorites. GSAK is good, no doubt. Is it the best for everyone? No. Period. And anyone who tries to argue that point is blind. Rather than bad-mouthing the OP, give the software a fair chance. Try it out for awhile. What have you got to lose? You may find, after getting used to it, that you really like some aspects of it. Or not.

For those of you actually giving it a try and giving constructive criticism, good job. For the others; no one is twisting your arm. Geeez, give the guy a break.

Edited by 4x4van

Well, current release 2.5.11 of Geoget have some good improvements for novices.

When you run Geoget before and you not know what to do, try this new version. It's much more clear then before, I hope.

Next version will have some interesting enhancements in the cachemap for usage everywhere. ;-)

You can export any data from the Geoget to many formats, include PocketQuery format. So, you can try to upload exported file to the BCaching.

However I never used BCaching, because I am using PocketDrake on my WindowsMobile device instead. It working with locally stored Geoget database file. No need any online services - you can work totally offline, if you wish! Database can be huge, and application is still very fast. I personally have tested database with 80000 caches on HTC Kaiser. Pocketdrake is not just offline listing browser, it is complete geocaching application. It knows GPS navigation, creating Fieldnotes, map browser, etc.

Similar application for Android is on development. Exists some versions for testing now, but in Czech language only. However English localization is planned too!

You can export any data from the Geoget to many formats, include PocketQuery format. So, you can try to upload exported file to the BCaching.

However I never used BCaching, because I am using PocketDrake on my WindowsMobile device instead. It working with locally stored Geoget database file. No need any online services - you can work totally offline, if you wish! Database can be huge, and application is still very fast. I personally have tested database with 80000 caches on HTC Kaiser. Pocketdrake is not just offline listing browser, it is complete geocaching application. It knows GPS navigation, creating Fieldnotes, map browser, etc.

Similar application for Android is on development. Exists some versions for testing now, but in Czech language only. However English localization is planned too!

The actual purpose would be rather to import caches from bcaching to Geoget. I guess it's just me being lazy since I can just press "Update caches" on my phone and it adds all new logs to my phone's database + any changes made to the listings. I'm using Geohunter on Android (offline database that can update from GPX files or bcaching).

Anyway, going to try it tonight. :)

:omnomnom:

I understand you now!

BCaching support can be added by scriptable plugin. However I am not Bcaching user and I not know what all fuctions it have, what and how wil be useful for Geoget, etc. I am busy now for writing features what was not needed by many users, sorry.

I understand you now!

BCaching support can be added by scriptable plugin. However I am not Bcaching user and I not know what all fuctions it have, what and how wil be useful for Geoget, etc. I am busy now for writing features what was not needed by many users, sorry.

I'll see if I can get my head around writing a plugin. Might ask for some help on the bcaching forums too. Thanks!

Just info: We are working on better English web pages for Geoget now. Try to visit Geoget Web now. Better? We trying to translate all basic pages. And we are working on English-friendly plugin page too!

And what is new in Geoget after a few months?

- better cachemap (open map on your reference point by default)

- Big support of Geocaching Live

- Improved user interface.

Hello geby!

I switched fully to your software and I'm very happy with it, especially for paperless geocaching! I really love it and it's great that you'll improve the website (was kind of horrible). It is a real problem for none Czech speaking people <_< Could you please tell us how is the best way to ask questions and get support in English? Facebook, Google+ and the main forum is only Czech. I'm lost here...Google groups seems to be death...Should we ask here? Or via E-Mail? I really have many things to discuss and ask for support and user request, ideas..

I think if you post more in English at social networks and /or include an English speaking sub forum in your main forum, your software will become much more popular. In addition English speaking users can help each other. At the moment I'm doing try and error which is a bit wasting time (I even can not google for problems because only Czech stuff come :(

I'm really looking forward ;)

Stefanie

On 4/1/2021 at 9:01 AM, sloth96 said:

With the recent announcement from Clyde on GSAK, it seems appropriate to remind folks of geoget. 
The integration of translation services into web browsers has made documentation much easier to understand in different language. 

So this is just bumping this up.  

Announcement is hardly 'recent', and support still continues thanks to a great group of GSAK volunteers.  Clyde is definitely still alive and kicking and is said to be enjoying his retirement, but is in regular contact with the crew supporting his baby.