Geoget - freeware application for everything around Geocaching

geby

Geoget - freeware application for everything around Geocaching

(GSAK replacement)

Vizit: Geoget web pages

Main features:

• Run on the Windows or on the WINE.
  • Personal database suitable for Geocaching, however capable to manage Waymarks, or any other custom points too.
  • Very powerful script based plugin architecture for many third-party enhancements, include totally customizable exports.
  • Suitable for enhanced GPS exports or for paperless Geocaching on your GPS, mobile phone, PDA or a ebook readers.
  • Suitable for print-friendly outputs too, include printing of personal cachemap with all your custom points and additional waypoints.
  • And many, many more...

ggpreview.png?cache=

Geoget contains special cachemap too. Compare it with Cachemap on the Geocaching web:

• It is based on the GoogleMap API too, but include additional layers, like OpenStreetMap. It contains streetview too.
  • It can display caches with all their additional waypoints.
  • It displaying points from your personal database, including your own final waypoints of solved mystery caches or final waypoints of multi-caches. Ideal for trip planning, you see all what you need!
  • You can switch size of the map to dimensions optimized for landscape or portrait "full-paper" printing.
  • You can see list of points on the map view. You can sort this list or print it too.
  • You can dray to you map. You can draw your points and see their coordnates, you can draw you polylines and see their lengts, you can draw your polygons. It can be used as track or polygon editor.
  • You can see 161m circles around caches.

Active and disabled caches and their waypoints on the map:

user:navody:cachemap.png?cache=

Numbered view:

user:navody:cachemapnumbers.png?cache=

With protected areas:

user:navody:cachemapprotect.png?cache=

Include your drawing:

user:navody:cachemapdraw1.png?cache=

Description of your draws:

user:navody:cachemapdraw2.png?cache=

Cachemap (all HTML and Javascripts) is on your local disk. Just GoogleMapAPI runs from the Internet. Geoget opening Cachemap in your favourite Web browser by the explicit user request. So, all is under your control.

You can use Geoget without this cachemap. It is separate. You can install Geoget without Cachemap, or you can install Cachemap without Geoget and create data file by some different way.

Additionally, you probably needs to change data file with predefined favourite map locations. Predefined locations are designed for Czech Republic only. However you can edit one text file and define your own locations anywhere on the world.

I know, GSAK know this. But know to display it around all selected caches on one map at one time? Include child waypoints? Draw circles around 'final waypoint' and 'stages of multicache' too?

Yes, exists one macro for GSAK, what know this too. But surprise - it just using old version of my Cachemap adapted for GSAK usage. :D

BTW: like GSAK have macros, Geoget have scripts. A lot of scripts exists on the Geoget webpage. Additional export formats, program plugins with addons, script for nice data presentation on the screen, startup scripts, etc.

Script in Geoget is based on Pascal language. Script is really fast, because is runtime compiled. And can use custom created forms too, of course. Geoget include Script editor and script form designer for script developers.

I know, GSAK know this. But know to display it around all selected caches on one map at one time? Include child waypoints? Draw circles around 'final waypoint' and 'stages of multicache' too?

Yes, exists one macro for GSAK, what know this too. But surprise - it just using old version of my Cachemap adapted for GSAK usage. :D

Yes, the GSAK macro can draw circles around child waypoints and final coordinates. It will also not draw circles around posted coordinates of puzzles, child waypoints that are "questions to answer", etc. Since it is a macro, it can be customized.

If you mean that macro is based on your work, then I thank you for it :)

I've downloaded GeoGet, but won't have time to play around with it tonight. I'll try it later.

No, I meant little different map. ;) But no care about this here. This thread is not about "what GSAK can do", but it is about "what Geoget can do".

Geoget is not copy of GSAK. It doing lot of things by a different way.

For example - user data. Instead of a few fixed database fields (Userdata1, Userdata2, 3...) have Geoget Tags. Flexible and unlimited system for adding any information to Geocaches.

Did you know...

GeoGet can be used not only to Geocaching, but also OpenCaching, Waymarking, or for anything else?

For example, we are using it as catalog of a tourist signs, fortification buildings, rock climbing, public transportation stops, geodetic control points... and imagination has no limits!

Additionally, since version 2.5.8 GeoGet can be used to visualize and edit of nearly any GPX files.

Sorry, it is a WIN32 native application, no way to compile it for Linux or MacOSX. However some users using it under WINE fine.

SQlite is used as database engine.

As a Apple user myself I think the previous user isn't so much worried about IF it runs fine under WINE but rather that they would rather it run natively in OS X or Linux. I know that I personally would be completely interested if it ran native on OS X but am not at all interested in running any application at all with WINE.

As a developer of a fine software program it is awesome that you compiled it to work with windows. I'm totally sure a lot of windows users will find it of great use. That said C++, Objective C, and a lot of other programing languages allow you to program and compile a software for Windows, Apple and all the flavors of Unix and Linux. If you want to make an Apple user appreciative you'd make it run native. Nothing yerks us more than being told to install WINE or asked to go out and buy windows to install under BootCamp or VirtualBox. That is just my 0.02 cents and has nothing to do with how cool your windows program is.

Sorry to interject and cause possibly a wander OT, but...

This sounds an awful lot like a commercial. OP seems to know EVERYTHING about the product, a lot about geocaching, but maintains 0 finds/0 hides.

My cynical self smells a........

No need to feel cynical. It's self-promotion, no question. I'm just not sure how it happens to continue here.

Check the bottom of the web page for the product. It reads (emphasis mine) "en/start.txt · Last modified: 2010/12/20 19:44 by geby "

Edited by ecanderson
Sorry to interject and cause possibly a wander OT, but...

This sounds an awful lot like a commercial. OP seems to know EVERYTHING about the product, a lot about geocaching, but maintains 0 finds/0 hides.

My cynical self smells a........

No need to feel cynical. It's self-promotion, no question. I'm just not sure how it happens to continue here.

Check the bottom of the web page for the product. It reads (emphasis mine) "en/start.txt · Last modified: 2010/12/20 19:44 by geby "

It's also freeware, and it is geocaching related. What's Groundspeak policy on telling people about geocaching software you wrote yourself and are giving away free?

It's also freeware, and it is geocaching related. What's Groundspeak policy on telling people about geocaching software you wrote yourself and are giving away free?
Dunno. Does it depend upon whether one asks for donations on the web page where the download occurs?

Guess we'll let the mods deal with it if they think it is an infraction. Personally I see no harm, but it's not my forums and not my software.

As a developer of a fine software program it is awesome that you compiled it to work with windows. I'm totally sure a lot of windows users will find it of great use. That said C++, Objective C, and a lot of other programing languages allow you to program and compile a software for Windows, Apple and all the flavors of Unix and Linux. If you want to make an Apple user appreciative you'd make it run native. Nothing yerks us more than being told to install WINE or asked to go out and buy windows to install under BootCamp or VirtualBox. That is just my 0.02 cents and has nothing to do with how cool your windows program is.

Multiplatform development is not about compiler only. Big probvlem is a GUI, what is designed for windows. So, be multiplatform costs a lot of work on GUI redesign. It is not economical for me now. Sorry.

Question is - why you have a care? :blink:

For example:

I know 4 Reviewers and all have 0/0 finds on his accounts. How they can be a reviewer? B)

Back to reality. Geoget is really free. No hidden costs, no advertisments inside, no advertisments on the web. Geoget is support tool for Geocaching. So, I made a support for Groudspeak's business for free! No reason for feel bad.

Why be afraid of minority freeware program?

I have no problem with a new, free tool to use for geocaching. But it is going to be a hard sell trying to get people to migrate away from a great tool like GSAK.

Sure if I hadn't paid for and been using GSAK for years, I may be more inclined to spend more time playing around with GeoGet. I have downloaded it and loaded my offline database into it and will play around with it though.

Other than being free, what does GeoGet do that GSAK doesn't ?

Multiplatform development is not about compiler only. Big probvlem is a GUI, what is designed for windows. So, be multiplatform costs a lot of work on GUI redesign. It is not economical for me now. Sorry.

There are free (and inexpensive) cross-platform GUI toolkits. One should be able to decouple the UI from the logic & data storage. And depending on who you ask and what you're using, Mono may be viable for running a .NET app on non-MS platforms. Not to mention Java working pretty much anywhere. Edited by dakboy

For example:

I know 4 Reviewers and all have 0/0 finds on his accounts. How they can be a reviewer? B)

This is a pretty weak example. It's fairly well known that most reviewers cache under their own personal accounts.

Back to reality. Geoget is really free. No hidden costs, no advertisments inside, no advertisments on the web. Geoget is support tool for Geocaching. So, I made a support for Groudspeak's business for free! No reason for feel bad.

Why be afraid of minority freeware program?
It's not so much about "fear" as it is Groundspeak having terms of use which you agreed to when signing up for the site and this forum which the post and/or the software may or may not be in violation of. Edited by dakboy

For example:

This is a pretty weak example. It's fairly well known that most reviewers cache under their own personal accounts.

I think his point is that he geocaches under a different account as well.

There are free (and inexpensive) cross-platform GUI toolkits. One should be able to decouple the UI from the logic & data storage. And depending on who you ask and what you're using, Mono may be viable for running a .NET app on non-MS platforms. Not to mention Java working pretty much anywhere.

Yes, pretty easy. So, why you not wrote your own multiplatform GSAK-like application yet?

Again, Geoget is designed for windows and cannot be compiled for other platform. No way to change it. If you wish to native MacOS application, you must ask someone else. Sorry.

There are free (and inexpensive) cross-platform GUI toolkits. One should be able to decouple the UI from the logic & data storage. And depending on who you ask and what you're using, Mono may be viable for running a .NET app on non-MS platforms. Not to mention Java working pretty much anywhere.

Man, what language......I'm not only from another generation I think I'm from another planet :D

I find it to be extremely of bad taste for some folks just come in here just to blatantly say "Sorry I will stick with Gsak!"

Good for you.

Can we show some respect for the owner of the software?

At least have some decency to try the software and come in here and post your opinion, you know positive feedback and all and then go on with your life!

I will certainly give a try to see what the software is all about and thank you for the work put into it, I am sure it will be appreciated by alot of folks even if they decide not to use it.

It's not so much about "fear" as it is Groundspeak having terms of use which you agreed to when signing up for the site and this forum which the post and/or the software may or may not be in violation of.

Leave the decision to moderators. Do not be self-appointed judge.

If the moderator decides that this discussion does not want here, I will not bother you.

I have no problem with a new, free tool to use for geocaching. But it is going to be a hard sell trying to get people to migrate away from a great tool like GSAK.

Why migrate, if someone is satisfied with GSAK? Geoget is just another alternative. Having a choice is good for people. Everyone can choose what suits them best.

BTW: Geoget is not a new software. It starts at year 2006. It have at least same popularity as GSAK in our national community now. Exists GSAK macro for transfer user data from the GSAK to Geoget, because people want it. But nobody want tool for switch back! So, some people probably leave GSAK and using Geoget instead.

However still is true what I wrote on the begin: Choose software what you want and what is best for you. Everyone has different needs and different requirements.

It is hard to say by me. Geoget and GSAK doing lot of things differently. I start with Geoget just because GSAK not satisfy me.

Most major differencies are (But I probably forgot some important...):

- Geoget can be fully localized to any language. Localization can be made by anyone without my interraction. You need to have standard GetText tools only.

- Geoget can be easily used for manage of any geographic points. Not just for geocaches or waymarks.

- Geoget have more modern GUI then GSAK.

- GSAK is widely used, Geoget not yet. Of course.

I find it to be extremely of bad taste for some folks just come in here just to blatantly say "Sorry I will stick with Gsak!"

Good for you.

At least have some decency to try the software and come in here and post your opinion, you know positive feedback and all and then go on with your life!

I will certainly give a try to see what the software is all about and thank you for the work put into it, I am sure it will be appreciated by alot of folks even if they decide not to use it.

Well Said,

It seems to be the norm here, someone suggests something "non-traditional" and the snide comments come out of the woodwork.

Well Done & Good Luck, I shall certainly look into this, GSAK has never really impressed me when I've tried it in the past, but that may be because I'm a casual cacher & have no great need to filter and compile as much as hardcore cachers...

This looks a lot more 21st century in appearance, I shall have a play & feedback!!

Chalky

Good for you.

You want to go there, I will. "geby" has made every post they have ever made in this one thread hocking this product, they've never contributed to another geocaching discussion in any aspect of the site. The product may be free but I see it as nothing more than an advertisement. As others have said there are clear donation links on the site, so free product of not, there is money involved. Also, don't presume you know whether or not I have looked at the product, my comment was concise to my point of view, something I am as equally allowed to represent as you are. Respect is a two-way street.

Why migrate, if someone is satisfied with GSAK? Geoget is just another alternative. Having a choice is good for people. Everyone can choose what suits them best.

BTW: Geoget is not a new software. It starts at year 2006. It have at least same popularity as GSAK in our national community now. Exists GSAK macro for transfer user data from the GSAK to Geoget, because people want it. But nobody want tool for switch back! So, some people probably leave GSAK and using Geoget instead.

However still is true what I wrote on the begin: Choose software what you want and what is best for you. Everyone has different needs and different requirements.

It is hard to say by me. Geoget and GSAK doing lot of things differently. I start with Geoget just because GSAK not satisfy me.

- Geoget can be fully localized to any language. Localization can be made by anyone without my interraction. You need to have standard GetText tools only.

- Geoget can be easily used for manage of any geographic points. Not just for geocaches or waymarks.

As can be seen the creator of GeoGet dislikes GSAK, the reasons are not clear and honestly I don't care. They are welcome to try their own thing all day long, I take offense to their blatant advertisement in these forums.

That's all I have to say on the topic. Good day.

Good for you.

You want to go there, I will. "geby" has made every post they have ever made in this one thread hocking this product, they've never contributed to another geocaching discussion in any aspect of the site. The product may be free but I see it as nothing more than an advertisement. As others have said there are clear donation links on the site, so free product of not, there is money involved. Also, don't presume you know whether or not I have looked at the product, my comment was concise to my point of view, something I am as equally allowed to represent as you are. Respect is a two-way street.

As can be seen the creator of GeoGet dislikes GSAK, the reasons are not clear and honestly I don't care. They are welcome to try their own thing all day long, I take offense to their blatant advertisement in these forums.

That's all I have to say on the topic. Good day.

Are you for real? "I am an Etrex Legend" - I take offence at that blatant advertisement!! :ph34r:

He's not asking for money to use it, you can use it forever for nothing!! If he doesn't tell people about it, how will it move forwards & develop? He obviously knows enough about the hobby to create something useful and he hasn't come on here with an overbearingly patronising and snide attitude whilst contributing nothing....

I'll give this a go & see what I think, now that you've quietly put your head back up there, we may see some constructive criticism from open minded people.....

Chalky

If you want to compete against GSAK, you need to:

• Do everything GSAK does, but do it better
  • Offer something GSAK doesn't (and "free" doesn't quite cut it, because serious users have already paid for GSAK and haven't been asked to pay for upgrades)

"More modern GUI" is a tough sell. You aren't going to win converts here - people who've paid for GSAK know the interface, for better or for worse.

GSAK can be used for any waypoints, it is not geocaching-specific.

The only thing you really appear to have have that GSAK doesn't is localization and maybe some extra mapping/drawing. JavaScript for customizing is a nice alternative to the custom GSAK language.

You would get a lot of mindshare if you had a cross-platform application. GSAK doesn't run natively on Linux or MacOS, so a lot of people are using virtualization or WINE - or doing without. If I'm going to have to do the same for your application - where's my incentive to switch?

Edited by dakboy

Moderator's note. This app seems to fall basically within the guidelines. It's OK to "advertise" free software for geocaching here, even if it takes donations. (This moderator has a well known title in that very category.) There are other rules involved, but the moderating team has reviewd this thread and we don't see any of them broken, though I do see a disturbing decline in respect for each othere.

Please reel in the sniping at each other. If you love GSAK and have no reason to switch, this program is clearly not for you. Its not blasphemy to consider that there might be multiple viable programs in this category of software. But even if it's not for you, please cool it with the attacks.

GSAK can be used for any waypoints, it is not geocaching-specific.

I know, but Geoget have much better support for this. If you import 'false' PocketQuery (GPX with information in same structure as Geocaching PQ GPX), then you can use your own custom values as CacheType or other fields. Etc. For example, try to import to the GSAK some point, what have 'Ukulele' as CacheType. And then try to filter it, export it... all working fine?

You can import other GPX formats, like simple or normal Waymarking GPX, 'free opencaching' or 'Garmin opencaching'. They are using incompatible custom GPX formats. You can import very simple GPX too. (Without any gecocaching specific tags inside...)

The only thing you really appear to have have that GSAK doesn't is localization and maybe some extra mapping/drawing. JavaScript for customizing is a nice alternative to the custom GSAK language.

Not javascript, it is PascalScript. :) However Pascal is easy language designed for learning. Is easy to customize existing scripts or is easy to create your own. Scripts are compiled at runtime - script are very fast.

Here are next advantages. GSAK have some problems when you are using non-english letters. Yes, you can tweak fonts to display it correctly in GSAK, I know. Datas are stored (maybe was stored, I not know current situation...) in ANSI codepage. So, you have a problem when you want to store information in various codepages. It is maybe not too important for geocaching now. But it is a problem for custom point databases.

Geoget database is based on the unicode. Geoget is designed on non-english enviroment and it working on non-english systems very well.

I know, this is not a problem for someone in the USA. But it is real problem for us in the Europe.

I'd have been interested if it ran under Linux natively...

Same here, but OS X.

What I see from this thread is essentially GSAK rebuilt, with international support. Which is fine if that's your goal, but why not take the opportunity to break from from one of the biggest limitations of GSAK - reliance upon Windows - and open up to a huge number of potential new users? Especially since, last I heard, Linux is used much more commonly in Europe than North America.

"More modern GUI" is a tough sell. You aren't going to win converts here - people who've paid for GSAK know the interface, for better or for worse.

Tough sell? Not really. I'm a paid user of GSAK, and the UI is the one thing I'm most unhappy with.

I *still* have not taken a look at it myself, sorry. Don't even have time in the last couple of months to do much geocaching...

Tough sell? Not really. I'm a paid user of GSAK, and the UI is the one thing I'm most unhappy with.

Depends on what "more modern" means. If it's just a refreshed look & feel to look more like current MS apps, that's one thing. If it's improved layout & functionality, that's another.

In both cases though, most GSAK users are used to how GSAK does things. I don't find it too bad, but there's definitely a lot of room for improvement (as I posted in another thread about GSAK's ease of use recently). Then again, my tolerance for bad UI is probably lower than a lot of people because at work I have to deal with software that's so poorly designed that it makes GSAK look as well-designed as an iPod.

I gave it a shot. I couldn't figure out how to get all of my waypoints that I imported to show up. I could get some to show up by setting a filter but not all. I shouldn't have to read through the help file to get my waypoints to show. It's uninstalled now. I see no reason to give it any more of my effort.

It is pretty easy. Want to search some point? Use one of search buttons.

Want to filter database? Use filters (F5). Default filter show all except archived caches and except event style caches. You can easily switch saved filters on the toolbar.

If you want to see all, then made a filter for this. Just change two empty checkboxes on the main filter page.

I gave it a shot. I couldn't figure out how to get all of my waypoints that I imported to show up. I could get some to show up by setting a filter but not all. I shouldn't have to read through the help file to get my waypoints to show. It's uninstalled now. I see no reason to give it any more of my effort.

Glad it's not just me.

After I imported a GPX, and clicked on "OK", nothing showed up until I selected "Load By Filter (F5)". If, instead of clicking on "OK", I clicked on "View", that seems to work too.

Took a few minutes to figure that one out.

It also took a while to figure out where the map view is (look for the button "Show in Cache Map"). The cache map is nice though.

Need to play around with it a bit more.

I can't even figure out how to migrate data from GSAK to geoget. I downloaded the macro, but I don't know Czech so I can't figure out what exactly I'm supposed to do when running it.

Since both geoget & GSAK are sqllite-backed, couldn't there be a database to database conversion process (ETL - Extract, Transform, Load) that doesn't require the use of a GSAK macro and intermediate GPX file? You're really just transforming from GSAK's database schema to your own.

After I imported a GPX, and clicked on "OK", nothing showed up until I selected "Load By Filter (F5)". If, instead of clicking on "OK", I clicked on "View", that seems to work too.

Took a few minutes to figure that one out.

'View' button in 'import result' dialog is not designed for large updates. Click the OK and then hit F5 for filter from the full database. It is much faster!

This is one of thing, what is different from GSAK. Here is not live view into database!

You allways working with some subset of database. These subsets (called lists) allows you to do lot of interesting operations! You can merge two lists into one. You can subtract one list from other. You can change order of caches in the list. You can save list to the disk and load it back later.

Exports working with current displayed list. Caches are processed in same order as is in the list. List is basic tool in Geoget.