Forum makeover

bittsen

There are some issues with the style sheet. We'll clean it up over the next couple of days.

Quotes updated (for example)

Since you are working on the quotes, please only quote one level deep. A quoted, quote of a quote gets a little tedious when it is quoted again in another quote..........

I think it's clunky and the quotes don't work anymore.

Other than that, I don't have anything good to say about it.

i have to agree. it is hard to read with light levels of grey, boring, clunky and just plain ugly. if it ain't broke, don't fix it. the only problem with the other forums is the site was slow.

this isn't just a matter of getting used to something, Groundspeak has actually made it harder to read and use the forums. looks like a first year web designer site design.

I think it's OK, I'm prepared to play with it for the next week or so and will wait for any tweaks that get applied... Ask me again in a couple of weeks.

(I have a feeling this could be an example of "facebook syndrome" - Everytime anything gets changed on fb there's mass wailing and weeping and The End Of (facebook) Life As We Know It. A couple of weeks later everyone's used to it, glitches have been sorted and nobody remembers what it used to look like anyway. Then all is OK... until the next change around...)

MrsB

I think it's OK, I'm prepared to play with it for the next week or so and will wait for any tweaks that get applied... Ask me again in a couple of weeks.

(I have a feeling this could be an example of "facebook syndrome" - Everytime anything gets changed on fb there's mass wailing and weeping and The End Of (facebook) Life As We Know It. A couple of weeks later everyone's used to it, glitches have been sorted and nobody remembers what it used to look like anyway. Then all is OK... until the next change around...)

MrsB

I'd agree with that

I don't hate it but it's hard to read with the grey on grey for me. The huge side area for the member information seems a little like huge wasted space to me and since I use my bookmark tab down it means I have to scroll back and forth to read posts. It's not going to screw up my life any but I miss the old one (other than being slow and timing out).

Overall I love it. Though you still can't "hover" over a vague thread title and get the first 100 characters or so of the post. So you still have to go into the thread to see what it's about.

That was something I figured would happen. Heck it's on almost every other forum out there. I figured it was standard equipment.

But if you look at the forum front page with the list of all the topics showing, hover just to the right of each Topic Title (to the left of the name of the Topic Starter) a little icon appears to click and "View Topic Preview". It gives you the first post and also the last post, should you want it.

Will that do? :huh:

MrsB

I'm feeling a bit lost. I tended to look for my threads visually, not actually reading them, if that makes sense. At the moment, it's making me have to READ! I would say there's too much room at the top. I liked being able to reload the page and not have to scroll to see if any of the threads I was interested in were bumped back up to the top with a new post. Right now, as others have said, it's too clunky for that. Everything's too spread out.

Overall I love it. Though you still can't "hover" over a vague thread title and get the first 100 characters or so of the post. So you still have to go into the thread to see what it's about.

That was something I figured would happen. Heck it's on almost every other forum out there. I figured it was standard equipment.

But if you look at the forum front page with the list of all the topics showing, hover just to the right of each Topic Title (to the left of the name of the Topic Starter) a little icon appears to click and "View Topic Preview". It gives you the first post and also the last post, should you want it.

Will that do? :huh:

MrsB

Yes it will! I :just: noticed that but hadn't clicked on it yet. Thanks!

I have a question. When I go to a thread that I have already read, it doesn't give me the option to pick up at the first new post that I haven't read. It sends me back to the very first post that was ever written. I have clicked on every option including "go to first unread post", but the first unread post is post number 1.

Ibid.

Not overly thrilled with the color scheme but I'll get used to that. However the "last read" button widget doesn't seem to be working for me.

Added: I think I've figured out the "last read" button problem. Could it be that due to the new format the old cookies or whatever it was that remembered us went in the toilet? So now it has to learn to remember us all over again?

Just sayin'

Edited by scott9282

I have a question. When I go to a thread that I have already read, it doesn't give me the option to pick up at the first new post that I haven't read. It sends me back to the very first post that was ever written. I have clicked on every option including "go to first unread post", but the first unread post is post number 1.

Same here, although the second time I went back into threads, the feature worked. Maybe the new forum lost track of where everyone was, and the "counter" needs to be reset?

(Showing my detailed understanding of the interwebs...)

the look and feel will take some getting used to...haven't formed an opinion yet.

As long as functionality is improved, that is what is important.

(I do like the way the colors change in the nested quotes :-)

Exactly! I could (not) care less about the color. My #1 hope is that it takes care of the performance issues that we've all struggled with for years. If it does, then I am content.

the look and feel will take some getting used to...haven't formed an opinion yet.

Exactly! I could (not) care less about the color. My #1 hope is that it takes care of the performance issues that we've all struggled with for years. If it does, then I am content.

I like the colored quotations. Hmmm.... I wonder what the quote limit is now... teeheehee!! :huh:

I like the colored quotations. Hmmm.... I wonder what the quote limit is now... teeheehee!! :huh:

Gee, Knowschad... that is a Very Good Question!