GeoCaching Faux Pas

DiMaBo

Some of what many might consider to be Faux Pas:

1. Logging a find on your own cache

2. Logging a find on a cache you didn't actually find

3. Not putting the cache back properly (meaning as well hidden as you found it)

4. Not closing the lid properly

5. Giving away spoilers in your log or gallery photos

6. Not logging DNFs on caches you couldn't find

7. Logging "needs maintenance" simply because you couldn't find the cache

8. Moving the cache to a "better" location or closer to where YOUR GPS says it should go.

9. Keeping a traveler (geocoin or travel bug) or waiting a long time (more than a few weeks) to move it along.

10. Leaving your own cache container there when you can't find the original.

11. Not trading relatively evenly

12. Sharing answers to puzzle caches or final locations of multi caches with other geocachers.

No there is no reason to worry about when a cache was last found.

Aside from the obvious rules, can you think of any geocaching faux pas? I'm new (as in about to go find my first cache once I put my shoes on), and was wondering if there is any reason to/not to find a cache that has been found in the last few days.

Two days may indicate that the cache is active and would be a good cache to start (depending on other factors like the difficulty of the hide). A cache that has not been found for several months, and has a list of people who could not find it, might be best avoided.

This game has very simple "rules." The Groundspeak FAQ simply states: "1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value. 2. Write about your find in the cache logbook. 3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com." Most of the items that Briansnat lists, then, are common sense type of things that make this basic set of guidelines work better.

Beyond that, I will always write an online log that does not contain acronyms. If asked what I am doing, I always explain the game to the person questioning me. I hide caches in locations where I would like to find them.

But we all do things a little differently. Some people like to find cleverly concealed containers. Some people like to hike in the woods. Some people like to find as many as they possibly can. Others pick and choose the caches. Some like to be the first one to find a cache, others do not care about that. If there is an event in your area, that may be a fun way to meet other cachers and learn more about the game.

Since you are just starting out, I would begin by choosing caches that are rated as being easier to find, often caches with containers bigger than a "micro." Read the cache description carefully, and if necessary the hint. Find out what is fun for you -- and if you respect the other players in the game by treating the cache you find as if it were your own, you probably won't have to worry about a faux pas.

Edited by mulvaney

One common faux pas that many cachers make once (then, hopefully, never again)...

You collect a trackable item (a geocoin or a travel bug) from a cache, have a look at it... mmm, nice... put it into your pocket/caching bag... continue on to find some more caches...

Later during the same day you drop that trackable off into one of the other caches you find...

Then you go home...

Start logging caches...

Suddenly realise that you can't log the retrieve of that trackable item, or the drop into the new cache, because

you forgot to make a note of the tracking number! :mad:

:P

:laughing:

Now you have to email the trackable owner to let them know what's happened and ask them to give you the tracking number so you can move their item and log its placement correctly. :huh:

Always make a note of tracking numbers. :laughing:

MrsB

8. Moving the cache to a "better" location or closer to where YOUR GPS says it should go.

9. Keeping a traveler (geocoin or travel bug) or waiting a long time (more than a few weeks) to move it along.

12. Sharing answers to puzzle caches or final locations of multi caches with other geocachers.

13. Getting your cache listed before you've actually hidden it... assuming you'll have the time to get out there and do it before the reviewer publishes.

14. Not bothering to get GPS co-ords for your hide at the time you get it listed.

No there is no reason to worry about when a cache was last found.

I agree with all of these, but perhaps #12 could use a little clarification. Collaboratively working on a puzzle with someone else is probably pretty common but just giving out the final coordinates to someone just because they asked for them is something that most cache owners would probably prefer you didn't do. Although phone-a-friend networks are pretty common as well giving out spoilers regarding the location of a physical container probably doesn't sit well with a lot of cache owners either.

Adding a couple more...

The drunken bee dance. Staring at your gps and following wherever the arrow points as you try to get to the exact spot for the published coordinates, oblivious to the large tree with a hole in it that's 30' away.

Forgetting that this is just a game.

12. Sharing answers to puzzle caches or final locations of multi caches with other geocachers

13. Getting your cache listed before you've actually hidden it... assuming you'll have the time to get out there and do it before the reviewer publishes.

14. Not bothering to get GPS co-ords for your hide at the time you get it listed.

15. Asking where the cache is, or giving away where the cache is on the Forum.

16. Posting pictures of the cache container and/or the location of it.

12. Sharing answers to puzzle caches or final locations of multi caches with other geocachers

17.leaving a really short post in the log like, tftc or :huh:

I don't fully agree with this one. If it is a specially camouflaged container like a fake sprinkler head, rock, or something similar where a photo of the container will give away the hide, then yes, don't post a photo. But for run of the mill containers I don't see a problem with it. In my gallery you'll see probably a couple hundred photos of cache containers and not one cache owner has ever objected. Nor have I ever objected to any of the many photos taken of my caches.

Just use common sense. If a photo of the container will give away the hide, then don't post it. If not then no problem. Just make sure the background of your photo isn't a spoiler. I usually move a few feet away from the location before snapping any photos of the container.

17.leaving a really short post in the log like, tftc or :blink:

I've got mixed feelings on this one. I guess I lean more in the camp of matching the effort in the log to the effort that was put in the cache. An involved cache will get a long response from me. A haphazard hide with a crappy container will not get much more than a TFTC.

I've got mixed feelings on this one. I guess I lean more in the camp of matching the effort in the log to the effort that was put in the cache. An involved cache will get a long response from me. A haphazard hide with a crappy container will not get much more than a TFTC.

I agree, I have found a few caches where I cant think of anything to say about the rusty tin on a guard rail, overlooking a dump.

I still try to make the effort. When I put the time into a tricky hide or container a tftc almost makes me think they didnt find it

I don't fully agree with this one. If it is a specially camouflaged container like a fake sprinkler head, rock, or something similar where a photo of the container will give away the hide, then yes, don't post a photo.

This was my thought exactly Brian

I think that is what he meant was dont post spoiler photos of the cach

This is an excellent thread, thank you to all who are contributing. My son and I will start geocaching this weekend, and this is a great thread to review before our first time out.

As you see from this thread there are no rules set in stone. It's why I used the words "many might consider..." in my first post. There are also many people who do some of those things I listed. Some do it regularly and there are people who will defend them.

But if you adhere to the list you are less likly to tick off cache owners.

I would just add: bring your own pen! Even regular caches may be missing a writing utensil, and micros rarely have one. Some CO's will delete your online log if you don't actually sign the logbook, so best to avoid any possible drama and bring your own pen, just in case.

Yep, that's one thing I've learned pretty quickly, always get out of the vehicle with pen in hand or pocket, even the PNG's. But then, most of my area is micros so BYOP is pretty much standard procedure...

18. Logging a find without signing the log because it is too high or you lost your pen.

DITTO

Unless the CO used an overhand pitch from the roadside to hide it, even a crappy container took some effort and deserves more than a TFTC. You don't have to say much, but if there is a problem with a cache, say something... anything. It doesn't have to confrontational and might even help the CO with future hides. TFTC is NO effort at all.

I can't think of another Faux Pas, but an easy mistake to make is to "loose" your car when going after one of the more out of the way caches. So Way Point the parking lot before heading out.

Good luck, Griz

Been there, done that!

Even an experienced cacher can think "it's only 400 feet away, I won't get lost!" Ha! It's surprising how you can get turned-around in the woods (especially if it is mountainous like here in the NorthWest!)