From my Oregon 200, how do I access information on the microSD card?

jlcslc2053

Ok...feeling really stupid here.....I have an Oregon 200 with a microSD card. If I plug the GPS into my computer I see the extra storage area provided by the SD card. But if I store caches on this card, how do I access this information from my Oregon while out geocaching? I see no way to do this...so, what is the point of the card if I can't get to the information while "in the field?"

Help.....what am I doing wrong?!!?

Thanks in advance!

Ok...feeling really stupid here.....I have an Oregon 200 with a microSD card. If I plug the GPS into my computer I see the extra storage area provided by the SD card. But if I store caches on this card, how do I access this information from my Oregon while out geocaching? I see no way to do this...so, what is the point of the card if I can't get to the information while "in the field?"

Help.....what am I doing wrong?!!?

When you place eh GPX files directly on the GPSr, the caches become visible automatically, right?

Well, if you copy the directory path from the GPSr to the SD card ( "\Garmin\GPX" on Windows ) them place the GPX files into that folder on the SD card, the GPSr will act like it is part of the internal memory. Keep in mind that you have a hard limit to 2000 geocaches or 200 GPX files total across all locations (internal memory on the GPSr and SD card).

Thank you Geekboy.....

Last night when Groundspeak was down I was going through the garmin forums and saw one reference to the file structure of the SD card needing to match the one on the Garmin.

SO SIMPLE! Why on earth was that simple little bit of information no put in the instructions ...just stating that when you do copy files over to the SD card that they need to be in the same file structure as those on the Garmin.

Everyone kept telling me to just "put them on there" and it will work... NOT!

It took about a minute last night after I read this to get the garmin reading files off of the SD card.

Thanks again for your reply!!

I've found just copying the caches to the internal memory is easiest. It takes up virtually no room (on a universal scale). With the limit cap, there's virtually no advantage to putting the .GPX file on the memory card vs. the internal memory. :huh:

Thank you Geekboy.....

Last night when Groundspeak was down I was going through the garmin forums and saw one reference to the file structure of the SD card needing to match the one on the Garmin.

SO SIMPLE! Why on earth was that simple little bit of information no put in the instructions ...just stating that when you do copy files over to the SD card that they need to be in the same file structure as those on the Garmin.

Everyone kept telling me to just "put them on there" and it will work... NOT!

It took about a minute last night after I read this to get the garmin reading files off of the SD card.

Thanks again for your reply!!

I've found just copying the caches to the internal memory is easiest. It takes up virtually no room (on a universal scale). With the limit cap, there's virtually no advantage to putting the .GPX file on the memory card vs. the internal memory. :huh:

I used to think that too, until I had an issue with a Colorado firmware that would lock-up when loading a GPX file had had a cache with a certain set of criteria. If that GPX file happens to be in your unit's internal memory, you are pretty much SOL on resolving that without resetting the GPSr back to factory defaults. When the GPX file is on the SD card, it only takes a few seconds to remove the card and power the unit back on. Additionally, if you have a PDA or cell phone that can access the SD card, you can easily move files around on the SD card while out in the field changing the set of caches available to you, but you can't do that without a computer if the GPX files are stored in internal memory. Now I ask, why in the world would you ever put a GPX file on internal memory?