How to load caches on the Garmin 62s?

LucaPCP

I am having trouble with caches on my Garmin 62st. When I load caches in the main memory, they don't show up. When I load them on the SD card, it works fine. Why? Is this a known feature? Or a known bug?

Long story: today, I downloaded the gpx files for a few hundred caches to the internal memory of my Garmin 62st, using the "send to GPS" option. I can see the .gpx files in the correct Garmin/GPX folder, but when I turn the Garmin on, it tells me that there are no caches. I then sent just one, separately, and it seems to work for one -- but the hundreds of caches I downloaded before are not visible.

I then copied all the .gpx files for the caches in the Garmin/GPX folder on the SD card, and all works fine.

Is the Garmin 62s / 62st unable to use its internal memory for more than a small number of caches?

Why does it work from the SD card, but not from the internal memory?

I am having trouble with caches on my Garmin 62st. When I load caches in the main memory, they don't show up. When I load them on the SD card, it works fine. Why? Is this a known feature? Or a known bug?

Long story: today, I downloaded the gpx files for a few hundred caches to the internal memory of my Garmin 62st, using the "send to GPS" option. I can see the .gpx files in the correct Garmin/GPX folder, but when I turn the Garmin on, it tells me that there are no caches. I then sent just one, separately, and it seems to work for one -- but the hundreds of caches I downloaded before are not visible.

I then copied all the .gpx files for the caches in the Garmin/GPX folder on the SD card, and all works fine.

Is the Garmin 62s / 62st unable to use its internal memory for more than a small number of caches?

Why does it work from the SD card, but not from the internal memory?

I called Garmin UK today for a similar problem..

If I load multiple GPX files (Pocket Queries) then all but the last one fails to get indexed, and at the last count, 1300 caches were not being listed. The chaps at Garmin were quite helpful, but didn't know how to fix it. I asked how to get the GPX files read from the SD card, as putting them in the usual \Garmin\GPX folder didn't work.. Again, the Garmin chaps had no idea.. They tried copying the files to the usual places on the Sd card, no joy, one even asked me to email in 10megs of files so he could check them! The same files that work on my Colorado 300 and 60Csx.. Anyway, after much fettling and playing (all on works time!!), I got it working.. Garmin technical went home at 14:30, and I was eager to play!

First delete everything in the 62's onboard "Garmin\GPX folder"

Second, create a "Garmin\GPX" folder on the SD card. In this folder, you need to create a folder called "Current".

Third, upload your GPX files to the "Garmin\GPX" folder on the SD card..

I've no idea why it works when you have the "Current" folder on the SD card, but if I delete it, then the problem comes back... WEIRD!!!!

Sorry if this has been posted before, but the GC forum search I used today was worse than useless at returning relevant info!

Happy new year for 2011,

Paul.

Edited by PSHAX

I have the 78S and I would expect it to work the same as the 62S since the 60CSx and the 78CSx worked the same as each other. I have zero problems loading caches to my 78S. I just do a pocket query and load them directly from GSAK. The newest version of GSAK lists these new units as choices in the config. I can send up to 5k caches to my unit using GSAK. It works great and I get all the cache information from the web page.

Edited by Thrak

If I load multiple GPX files (Pocket Queries) then all but the last one fails to get indexed,

I contacted Garmin with this problem and did not receive much help, although they were interested in the problem. It probably would be good if people who have this problem contact Garmin about it.

I was using only two or three gpx files generated from pqs, and had less than 2000 caches stored in the unit. Garmin suggested that there might be an issue with the gpx files, although the unit worked fine when the same files were copied over to the sd card. In any event, I made sure that the default gpx file format was 1.0.1 (by selecting this option in my profile), which seemed to help, and loading the files to the sd card. I do not need to have a "current" folder on the sd card.

Then the other day, I transferred a single cache to the internal memory with the other caches on the sd card, and I had the problem in reverse: it would not read the single cache until I transferred it to the card. And every so often I notice that the unit seems to have dropped a cache from the gpx file created by a pocket query.

Edited by mulvaney

I called Garmin UK today for a similar problem..

If I load multiple GPX files (Pocket Queries) then all but the last one fails to get indexed, and at the last count, 1300 caches were not being listed. The chaps at Garmin were quite helpful, but didn't know how to fix it. I asked how to get the GPX files read from the SD card, as putting them in the usual \Garmin\GPX folder didn't work.. Again, the Garmin chaps had no idea.. They tried copying the files to the usual places on the Sd card, no joy, one even asked me to email in 10megs of files so he could check them! The same files that work on my Colorado 300 and 60Csx.. Anyway, after much fettling and playing (all on works time!!), I got it working.. Garmin technical went home at 14:30, and I was eager to play!

First delete everything in the 62's onboard "Garmin\GPX folder"

Second, create a "Garmin\GPX" folder on the SD card. In this folder, you need to create a folder called "Current".

Third, upload your GPX files to the "Garmin\GPX" folder on the SD card..

I've no idea why it works when you have the "Current" folder on the SD card, but if I delete it, then the problem comes back... WEIRD!!!!

Sorry if this has been posted before, but the GC forum search I used today was worse than useless at returning relevant info!

Happy new year for 2011,

Paul.

Thank you so much for posting this! We just acquired a 62s and were suddenly having problems seeing geocaches. I moved them over to the SD card (which is where I wanted them anyway) just as you described and now it seems to be working fine. You saved me a LOT of frustration!

-Vicki

Edited by seattlegeekgrrrlz