PN-40 can't load gc's with new computer/FW 2.8

pdrhound

Just dusted off the -40 for some caching. have new computer. have no software. loaded widgit ( as i really prefer to load on at a time). was having no luck so i did FW upgrade to 2.8. still no luck. loaded free CR 2.0 from delorme site. still no luck.

Using windows 7 now.

1. can i still load 1 cache at a time?

2. can i load pocket query without t8?

Are you aware that with FW 2.8 and CR 2.0 the caches are loaded to the SD card?

Select geocaches>Menu button> File>Open to see the GPX files on the PN.

If that's not the problem, did CR recognize the PN?

ok have PQ in CR register keeps timing out.

when i sync i have sd card connected. device setup>connect to computer>open sd card. then i hit sync in the CR and it times out. it did want to formay sd card once. but i would lose maps.

could i need bigger SD card? it is a bummer to have to save them on SD as i used a couple differrnt cards for different maps

what about loading one at a time?

Edited by pdrhound

You can download a single cache at a time. Go to the cache page, click on "Send to my GPS." The pop-up window will have a tab for DeLorme, and on that tab should be a button to let you download the most recent version of the plug-in.

I'm not sure it will work for you at this point, though. If CR is timing out, it sounds like your computer is not able to see your PN-40. Is that the case? I.e., if you try to connect your PN-40 in either SD card or internal memory mode, are you able to view the contents of memory through a Windows Explorer window? Are you getting the sound indicating USB connections made?

If you got an offer to format the SD card while the card was in the PN-40, that *does* suggest a connection is being made. So I'm unclear as to what the obstacle is at the moment.

Anyway, trying to install and run the plug-in might be a good experiment to run.

Edit: I re-read your first post, and it looks like you already downloaded the presumably current version of the plug-in/widget. What step does that process get hung up on?

The size of your SD card probably is not the problem...I doubt your card is so full that you can't load a single cache onto it. If you can't connect your PN-40 so the computer can read it, it may be a cable problem, or perhaps you need to try some of the other USB ports on your computer. Try to use one that connects as directly to the motherboard as possible (the back of the computer).

Edited by embra

so i contacted delorme. they ran through a couple troubleshooting ideas with me. He thought it might need new usb cable?? worked fine before uploads......

waiting 7-10 days now. paper caching, can you imagine.

cannot upload single caches or sync with cacahe register. have 376 juicy new caches waiting there from 2 PQ i did lastnight....

so i was able to drag the GPX file to the sd card. not sure if field notes will work or not. still unable to load caches one at a time ( which i do almost always). seems like GPS is slower to correct on compass, slower to power on and off, and not as accurate as it was (much more ping pomg going on). Leave it to delorme to make something much harder than it has to be.

For those still having "Send To GPS" problems. If you had waypoints and or caches on the device when you performed the firmware update to 2.8, it's possible you now have corrupt data in internal memory and that's the cause of your problems. Go to the PN GPS Wiki page here and try step 6. Low Level Format (maps not affected).

so i was able to drag the GPX file to the sd card. not sure if field notes will work or not. still unable to load caches one at a time ( which i do almost always). seems like GPS is slower to correct on compass, slower to power on and off, and not as accurate as it was (much more ping pomg going on). Leave it to delorme to make something much harder than it has to be.

It is also possible the problems are Geocaching site update related. I happen to know CR 2.0 was working fine just before the updates occurred.

As for the compass issue, you may need to reset the accelerometer.

http://www.gps-wiki.com/wiki/Pn40:Device_Setup_Page#Compass_.26_Altimeter_Settings

I had a recent problem while exercising CacheRegister 2.0 which may be the same or similar to yours.

I did some research and traced it down to its source, a wonky PQ.

However, I have not yet determined exactly what made the PQ anomalous.

This is what I did:

1. I opened up the folder ...DeLorme\CacheRegister\GPX Library, cleaned out all the gpx files and left it up to watch,

2. I ran CR and the first part where it does the surveying was OK, then I clicked on the Sync bar and it started OK,

3. It downloaded the results from 6 PQs in fine shape and then it choked on one of them,

4. At this time the process stopped and those PQ results that had been downloaded to my PC were not then uploaded to my PNs.

5. The diagnostic note displayed was: The network or Geocaching.com connection was interrupted. Check your connections and try syncing again.

6. I unchecked the PQ in CR and all went well, downloading to PC and then uploading to the PNs. Also, I killed off the PQ in geocaching.com and all was well.

My conclusion at this time is that there is nothing wrong with neither my PN-40 with its FW 2.8 nor with CR 2.0 nor with Geocacing.com.

My current speculation is that the wonky PQ results were a manifestation of the query conditions that I specified in building the query.

I've restructured it somewhat to see what will happen next.

OP: If this is what happened to you, it may resolve your problem.

Thanks Pax, I went to the wiki page, did the low level format (works on a PN20 too, incidentally) and I am now able to send caches to my gps again. Thanks VERY much!!!! :D

For those still having "Send To GPS" problems. If you had waypoints and or caches on the device when you performed the firmware update to 2.8, it's possible you now have corrupt data in internal memory and that's the cause of your problems. Go to the PN GPS Wiki page here and try step 6. Low Level Format (maps not affected).

Edited by Photoguy505