Just ordered a Oregon 450! A few Q's

Just got my Oregon 450 from Gpscity for only 239! Great deal, replaced my old triton 2000.

I've heard that the new firmware isn't doing so well- what is the safest version to upload to it, straight out of the box?

Also, what screen protector, if any, do you reccommend?

Any batteries you reccommend?

Thanks for all the help!

Run the WebUpdater to get the latest non-beta software.

Get the Zagg screen protector. It makes your screen almost impervious to scratches. Well worth it!

Just ordered the Zagg- can't agree more, better safe than sorry! Used the 50% off coupon as well.

Thanks for all the help- is applying the Zagg a hassle? Many bad reviews I've seen are generally from those who either didn't read the instructions or some sort, but it seems relatively simple.

It's pretty easy, just make sure you have good light & clean hands and use lots and lots of the spray!

Just ordered the Zagg- can't agree more, better safe than sorry! Used the 50% off coupon as well.

Thanks for all the help- is applying the Zagg a hassle? Many bad reviews I've seen are generally from those who either didn't read the instructions or some sort, but it seems relatively simple.

Where did you find the discount code. Just went to order and did not find one on check out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

http://www.zagg.com/community/contest.php

Go to that url, and sign up for the 12 weeks of Christmas giveaway, and they send you a 50% off code to your email.

It arrived today! Thanks for all the help everyone.

Is it recommended that you download the caches via BaseCamp, or by some other method. I'm on a mac, and I tried "dragging and dropping" my pocket query, but nothing came up. I used basecamp and it worked. Is there something I'm missing here?

I also realized that this has a little spot for a lanyard or wrist strap, but it is not included. What does everyone use for that? The carabiner clip is nice though.

Thanks again, Happy Holidays

Go to that url, and sign up for the 12 weeks of Christmas giveaway, and they send you a 50% off code to your email.

Is it recommended that you download the caches via BaseCamp, or by some other method. I'm on a mac, and I tried "dragging and dropping" my pocket query, but nothing came up. I used basecamp and it worked. Is there something I'm missing here?

I also realized that this has a little spot for a lanyard or wrist strap, but it is not included. What does everyone use for that? The carabiner clip is nice though.

GSAK is the best way to go for uploading caches, there are a couple great macros that do lots of neat stuff with the files for export on the oregons/dakotas. Problem is there is no Mac version so you'll have to run in bootcamp or parallels.

Like others have stated, get the Zagg. Mine was very easy to put on, just read the instructions. Its nice that the unit is waterproof because then you can really douse the unit with the spray, apply the shield, then squeegee the liquid out. I put mine on within a week of buying it and its saved my screen on several occasions already.

I use a neck lanyard I picked up in a cache, then just use the caribeaner on the unit and clip it onto the lanyard. Personally I dont really like it around my neck too much though, so it seems I usually keep it in my hand, then just clip it on my belt loop or backpack strap when I need to use both my hands.

Cheers!! Thanks worked out great and new screen protector on the way for the new Oregon. Now to learn the ins and outs of the new unit.

Thanks for all the help everyone! It came a few days before Christmas, and has been working great.

The invisible shield came today, and I applied it well, for the most part, but I do have a question regarding that.

Although there should be minor imperfections that will wear off in the coming days after applying the protector, I found some scratch-like things on the shield itself, when the device is not turned on. When the device is turned on, you can barely see them. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm hoping this falls under the category of minor imperfections, but just wanted to hear if anyone else has heard of this happening.

Got my first find with it on Christmas Eve!

Although there should be minor imperfections that will wear off in the coming days after applying the protector, I found some scratch-like things on the shield itself, when the device is not turned on. When the device is turned on, you can barely see them. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm hoping this falls under the category of minor imperfections, but just wanted to hear if anyone else has heard of this happening.

When I installed my Zagg, I rubbed it a little too hard with the little rubber thingie, and it left some scuff marks on the surface. They're quite noticeable when the unit is off, but when I turn it on, they disappear completely. Also, there were lots of little bubbles that I couldn't get out with the squeegee, but they eventually disappeared after a few days. I think the protector pulls in as it dries and pushes out the bubbles. I have one little imperfection at the top of the screen that I can still see when the unit is powered on, but it's not very noticeable. I've been using my Zagg for over a year and have abused it, and it doesn't show any marks yet.