Info on a USA coin?

Nikon-ing

That's because its the "B" side. For whatever reason (I forget) USA Geocoins decided to make an alternate front side die for the 2006 USA geocoin. Making two versions then, a 1a (original front) and a 1b (new front). This is a 1b, so it looks nearly identical to a 1a, with some subtle switches of the engraving bar and date.

Wonderful! Thanks for your help. If anyone can remember why USA Geocoins did that, I'd be interested in knowing.

Thanks for the pics drneal. That was the difference I'd seen.

Since the back reads "Used with permission..." I worried that my coin was a copy of some sort...or something like that.

That's because its the "B" side. For whatever reason (I forget) USA Geocoins decided to make an alternate front side die for the 2006 USA geocoin. Making two versions then, a 1a (original front) and a 1b (new front). This is a 1b, so it looks nearly identical to a 1a, with some subtle switches of the engraving bar and date.

Wonderful! Thanks for your help. If anyone can remember why USA Geocoins did that, I'd be interested in knowing.

Thanks for the pics drneal. That was the difference I'd seen.

Since the back reads "Used with permission..." I worried that my coin was a copy of some sort...or something like that.

...and don't forget the V2 of the 2006.. an eagle flying in front of the flag. Keeps you hopping to keep up :)

If anyone can remember why USA Geocoins did that, I'd be interested in knowing.
as I recall, the short answer was "because they could" (and/or just wanted to)

it part, it may have been because the geocoin had featured the same design for three years

(2003, 2004 and 2005)

and they may have just thought that it was time for a change

but there was also the tracking code change that happened that year

in the beginning there were only three types of trackable items

Moun10Bike geocoins

USA geocoins

travel bugs

all had number-only tracking codes, and ranges were assigned

M10B had 1 to 9,999

USA geocoins used 10,000 to 99,999

and travel bugs got 100,000 to 999,999

this was the case for about three years or so

when Groundspeak partnered with Jeep to make the Yellow Jeep Wrangler trackables, tracking codes became alpha-numeric (as we are used to today)

that happened in 2006

the 1a USA geocoins has five-digit numeric tracking codes

the 1b and 2 versions have six-character tracking codes, beginning with the prefix "US"

So the coins from 2003, 2004 and 2005 were trackable as well? I wonder how many of those older coins still exist.

I'll be watching for these different versions. Maybe I'll run into a certain someone on the trails...and just maybe he'll have one or two in his pocket. :blink: That would be cool!

Thank you for your help. This has been very interesting. My coin does have the 6 character code beginning with US.

Moun10Bike geocoins

USA geocoins

travel bugs

M10B had 1 to 9,999

Are you suggesting that the first USA geocoin was numbered 10,000? If so, that means the three I just listed on eBay were among the first 200 . . . wow! Now that I think about it, I do recall jumping in early to get coins. Are these worth anything to anyone or just a curiosity?

Moun10Bike geocoins

USA geocoins

travel bugs

M10B had 1 to 9,999

Yes, the first USA Geocoin was numbered 10,000. :-)

Are you suggesting that the first USA geocoin was numbered 10,000? If so, that means the three I just listed on eBay were among the first 200 . . . wow! Now that I think about it, I do recall jumping in early to get coins. Are these worth anything to anyone or just a curiosity?

So the coins from 2003, 2004 and 2005 were trackable as well? I wonder how many of those older coins still exist.

I'll be watching for these different versions. Maybe I'll run into a certain someone on the trails...and just maybe he'll have one or two in his pocket. :blink: That would be cool!

Thank you for your help. This has been very interesting. My coin does have the 6 character code beginning with US.

I'm sure that all of them still exist, it's just a matter of where they are. I doubt if any have been melted down.

Moun10Bike geocoins

USA geocoins

travel bugs

M10B had 1 to 9,999

With a specific numbering set, then yes the lower numbers (if they are unactivated) are certainly worth more. It's a little silly, because in minting coins, the first one's struck should be worth more, but there's no way to match the striking order with the engraved numbers. Since we can't know which were struck first, we have to go by the engraved numbers. To really have the best retained value, the coins would need to be engraved in the same order they were struck.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT