Do these make good containers?

bittsen

I wonder if it will hold up against the elements.

Some of the matchtubes I've bought have a cheesy flat gasket, and my bison tube knock-offs had pre-dry-rotted o-rings. If it looks like they've scrimped on seal quality, it would be best to start with a good o-ring. But as briansnat said, if that's a decent matchtube, it will work fine.

Who sells that kind?

Edited by kunarion

Some of the matchtubes I've bought have a cheesy flat gasket, and my bison tube knock-offs had pre-dry-rotted o-rings. If it looks like they've scrimped on seal quality, it would be best to start with a good o-ring. But as briansnat said, if that's a decent matchtube, it will work fine.

Who sells that kind?

It's a relatively hard plastic and the Oring is flat. I got it at Harbor Freight.

I think that I will list it as a "unknown" size when I place it. That will make things fun.

Who sells that kind?

It's a relatively hard plastic and the Oring is flat. I got it at Harbor Freight.

I think that I will list it as a "unknown" size when I place it. That will make things fun.

image_1246.jpg

I suspect it would not hold up to the weather for long. My opinion is based on the photo above. The threads on the cap do not look very substantial. I hope I am wrong, cause it looks like a great size and I like the built in hook for hanging it. AND the price is nice. Waterproof paper for the log is a good idea.

Maybe you can leave it out in your backyard a few days and see how it holds up. Let us know how it works.

How big is that thing? I have a whole case of the junkiest "surf safes", the kind briansnat warns us about. Very flimsy, and I haven't figured out a good use for them -- they'd be lousy if used as, say, surf safes :). So if your welding rod case is more durable, I'd be interested in trying that out.

EDIT: Back from googling. That looks like a sweet container, bittsen. Three inches in diameter? Sometimes I have the perfect spot for something just a little more substantial than a bison tube.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/165417/Wel...Rod-Keeper-Case?

I'd like to test the threads as John in Valley Forge mentioned -- make sure it can't easily cross-thread and get destroyed (one wrong move will crack my cheesy surf safes). But if it's a sturdy plastic container, it sure beats a pill bottle.

Edited by kunarion

How big is that thing? I have a whole case of the junkiest "surf safes", the kind briansnat warns us about. Very flimsy, and I haven't figured out a good use for them -- they'd be lousy if used as, say, surf safes :). So if your welding rod case is more durable, I'd be interested in trying that out.

EDIT: Back from googling. That looks like a sweet container, bittsen. Three inches in diameter?

http://www.gemplers.com/product/165417/Wel...Rod-Keeper-Case?

I'd like to test the threads as John in Valley Forge mentioned (make sure it can't easily cross-thread and get destroyed). But if it's a sturdy plastic container, it sure beats a pill bottle.

The photo of the one you found looks like it has a different style of threads.

Here is the HarborFrieght case I think that Bittsen is referring to. If it works, I'd grab one too.

Yup, that's the container.

They had them on sale for $4.99. I couldn't pass it up. Cheaper than an ammo can.

The threads look substantial and not cross threadable enough to damage them. Can't seem to over tighten it either.

I'm thinkng of calling it "Match Safe in a Tree" and listing it as unknown. Or Hanging it up pretty high in an old growth tree and calling it "Land of the Giants" after the TV show of the 70's.

Either way I'm only expecting a couple of finds per year.

:)

What?

I didn't realize it was bigger than a match safe when I first read through the thread.

Was just confused where the extra fun was coming from.

It all makes sense now.

Who sells that kind?

unknown is code for micro/nano. people will filter it out.

go ahead and list it as micro. its ok. really.

It seems that almost every type of container I've come across with a removable o-ring, like match safes or bison tubes, half of them end up missing their o-rings because they are TOO removable.

I use PET preforms, I don't think I've ever had one leak, and you can get them through geocaching stores for about $5 for 5. I got a box of 100 over two years ago, I think it cost me $50. I've used them for our caches, I've used them for replacement caches, I've left them as FTF prizes, and I am still less than 1/2 way through the box.

edit: Did not realize that the container was a foot long, a PET preform isn't exactly comparable. Given its size, it looks like the plastic tube some road flares come in. I've seen those used as caches, and again, about half of them have leaked because of problems with the o-ring.

Edited by hzoi

Who sells that kind?

Given that the container is over a foot long, it's not OK to list it as a micro. No guideline gets broken by listing it as 'unknown', however.

<!--quoteo(post=4563008:date=Dec 19 2010, 11:09 AM:name=bittsen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bittsen @ Dec 19 2010, 11:09 AM) 4563008[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

<!--quoteo(post=4562962:date=Dec 19 2010, 08:34 AM:name=kunarion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kunarion @ Dec 19 2010, 08:34 AM) 4562962[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

<!--quoteo(post=4562823:date=Dec 19 2010, 03:11 AM:name=bittsen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bittsen @ Dec 19 2010, 03:11 AM) 4562823[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder if it will hold up against the elements.

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Some of the matchtubes I've bought have a cheesy flat gasket, and my bison tube knock-offs had pre-dry-rotted o-rings. If it looks like they've scrimped on seal quality, it would be best to start with a good o-ring. But as briansnat said, if that's a decent matchtube, it will work fine.

Who sells that kind?

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I automatically filter out all unknowns, and I know a lot of others that do also

I saw those myself, and said 'hmmmm'!

Actually, 'Not Chosen' is code for nano/pico/femto. (and also, IMNSHO, an indication the owner doesn't want to play nice)

Your container is reasonably described as 'Regular'. If you list it as such and hang it in a tree, most people will look around under the tree for the ammo box, not find anything, and leave with the sour taste of a DNF in their mouths because many people (like deer) seldom look UP. No need to be devious about the size. :blink:

Add my FWIW against the "unknown" classification without additional information.

In my area, unknown typically equals micro but CO doesn't want to list it as a micro / nano.

If you are set on the "fun" of an unknown, I would recommend stating something to the effect it is not a micro/nano in the description.

We recently found an unknown that was a oddly shape and interesting container but the CO was clear it was not a micro.

Happy Geocaching! - hawkeyetob

Unknown is unknown. Something that does not really fit in other categories or that you just don't want to reveal. I suppose it is the second reason that leads many to use it as code for Nano. I've found 'unknown' sizes that were pretty large. The CO didn;t want to give away too much info.

List it how you like. If some people miss it because they filter out certain attributes or sizes, that will be their loss.

While I can't vouch for the Harbor Freight quality since I have never used that brand, I have used others for many years. Mostly at work to keep my welding rod dry. They work or we couldn't weld in construction here in the NW.

Welding rod tube camoed and in the "Wild".:

a4b663e4-99b7-4b94-9450-0f57ddb43d2a.jpg

Mr. Thomas has been in the "Wild" in a swamp for over 6 1/2 years. While the outer appearance has deteriorated the inside stays dry as long as it isn't opened a long time in the rain. With over 300 finds it has never lost its O-ring either.

876b331b-f24e-4176-9892-6ce8a23de7d2.jpg

Mr Thomas after his "Makeover" in May 2008.

A Rite In The Rain notebook would help with the inevitable moisture you will get inside. I have found that not everyone will tighten the top enough to keep all moisture out and with our rain not everyone can keep the logbook and contents dry while signing.

But then if it only gets a few visitors a year it may stay much dryer than one that gets more visits by groups of people that would let more water in. The logbooks in this one has been replaced twice in those 6 1/2 years and 300 finds.