Send a frog to the Frog Shrine!

Big Green

Looking for an idea for a travel bug?

In Santa Barbara, California there's a semi-virtual cache called the Frog Shrine. It's basically a nook in a stone wall in a residential neighborhood where people have been collecting frog-related items for many years. I have no idea who started it or why, but a few months ago, I took down the coordinates and posted it as a geocache. Lots of folks have since visited it.

I think it would be really cool if people started sending toy frogs on travel bug "pilgrimages" to the Frog Shrine. Any sort of smallish, weather-proof item that looks like a frog or has a picture of a frog on it would be appropriate.

I think it would be interesting to see how many frogs make the journey and how far they come. Anyone want to try it? If you do, please post here or E-Mail me so I can track it.

-Steve "Big Green" icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like a great idea! icon_smile.gif

Personally, though, I eventually like to call my travel bugs back home once they've met their goals. What would be cool with this one is if you (or whatever cacher happens to be dropping a particular TB frog off at the shrine) would remove the tracking tag from it, and place it back into a cache (to send on its way back to a cache near its owner, for retrieval). With some clear instructions on the Travel Bug page and/or a laminated tag attached to the traveler, it shouldn't be too difficult to coordinate.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

Personally, though, I eventually like to call my travel bugs back home once they've met their goals.

Well, how about this for a goal:

"My goal is to make a pilgrimage to the Frog Shrine in Santa Barbara, have my picture taken as evidence of my visit, and then return to my home in XXXXX. You can check out my page on geocaching.com to see if I've reached my destination so you know which direction I'm headed."

-Big Green

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

I'd love to see pics of the frog shrine... any available?

I'd post some pics, but I don't have access to a digital camera or a scanner. icon_frown.gif

Some of my friends have digital cameras. I can try to drag someone out there, but it may be a while. If you add the Frog Shrine to your watchlist, I'll post a note if/when I get some pictures. Meanwhile, you can always come out to Santa Barbara for a visit. icon_wink.gif

-Big Green

Hope to see the Frog Shrine and some of your other caches in the Santa Barbara area the next time we are out that way. We actually have two other travel bugs heading to Santa Barbara, Cowardly Lion and Wonder Woem. Unfortunately, they have not made much progress to date. However, I am still hopeful that they will successfully make the trip. Be on the lookout....we're hoping they will get close enough to Santa Barbara so that they can be recovered by bluebonnet and/or friends!!

Alchemist2000

[This message was edited by alchemist2000 on May 14, 2002 at 05:56 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by alchemist2000: We actually have two other travel bugs heading to Santa Barbara,

Unfortunately, they have not made much progress to date.

Hmmm... didn't notice a specification in the bug listings... is flight allowed or not? If the one still local is still in the area in about a month, I'm expecting a visitor from Santa Barbara County. We're planning to do some caching!

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by T-storm: Hmmm... didn't notice a specification in the bug listings... is flight allowed or not? If the one still local is still in the area in about a month, I'm expecting a visitor from Santa Barbara County. We're planning to do some caching!

Oh wow, yes!!! I am sure Cowardly Lion would love to fly!!! I really hope it works out. Wonder if I should post this somewhere that north Texas geocachers will see this and get him closer to your part of the metroplex. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!!

[This message was edited by alchemist2000 on May 14, 2002 at 05:55 PM.]

I see he was picked up this evening. Really any cache in the Flower Mound / Lewisville area could be a target for us next weekend, and after that the closer it comes to us in caches that aren't particularly long or difficult will be fine. MIL will arrive 6/5 and we'll likely take her caching that weekend or the next. She's not used to the heat, though, so I don't know how long a caching trip she'll be up for! Pretty much as long as he's in a cache as of about June 1st and doesn't get held for a long time by any takers, we ought to be able to grab him and send him westward.

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching