Garmin GPSmap60csx

Mallah

I'm looking to upgrade from my trusty eTrex which struggles under trees etc and this 60csx has caught my eye.

Do any of you use one and if so are they as good as the sales pitch, or is there another model I should be looking at?

Thanks

I have one.

It's excellent.

It's the unit all others are judged by.

It is/will be discontinued so should be cheaper...

The new 62 units are the replacements.

Downside?

Doesn't do paperless. (Just like your etrex!)

BUT. There is a GSAK macro which will load 'some' cache page info as a POI file and allow semi-paperless.

I'm looking to upgrade from my trusty eTrex which struggles under trees etc and this 60csx has caught my eye.

Do any of you use one and if so are they as good as the sales pitch, or is there another model I should be looking at?

Thanks

I have one.

It's excellent.

It's the unit all others are judged by.

Totally agree.

But if you can stretch to an Oregon or a 62, I'd get one of those instead for the paperless function.

Edited by Nick & Ali

I have been caching for a little over a a year now and I use the Map 60CSX. Have been very happy with the way it locks in to the signal and holds on to it. My wife has the eTrex and my GPS really outperforms hers. I spend a great deal of time in the northern forests of Wisconsin and have been very happy with its performance. I'm also able to download into the unit a variety of maps. If your one who likes to get off the beaten path, you may have found the right unit.

Another blatant promotion here. Have a look at my resource site, the page on GPS receivers. I've done a comparison table of the various units, the features they offer (and an explanation of what the features mean), maps supported and so on. It may be able to help you choose.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Another blatant promotion here. Have a look at my resource site, the page on GPS receivers. I've done a comparison table of the various units, the features they offer (and an explanation of what the features mean), maps supported and so on. It may be able to help you choose.

Chris

Graculus

Great info Chris. The best I've seen. :)

But where is the Oregon 200 on your comparison chart?

It's what I have and it's perfect for my caching needs.

Really. And less than 200 notes if you buy from the right seller. B)

Edited by currykev

Thanks

I've been using one since about 2006 and love it. I mount it on my handlebars and it's just awesome.

It's waterproof (when it gets muddy I wash it under the tap), robust (I've dropped it from waist height onto concrete a couple of times and it still works) and the only time it's ever lost satellite signal was when I was in fog so thick I was down to about 45mph on the M3 (obviously it loses signal in tunnels but that's to be expected).

It doesn't do paperless caching and it's superseded by the 62 series. I'm contemplating the 62st for myself but have a degree of reluctance to stop using a unit that still works as well as the day I bought it.

Depending on your budget you might look at the newer 62, an end-of-line 60CSx or perhaps even a used CSx. With the new units coming online there will probably be a few of them around.

Thanks

I've been using one since about 2006 and love it. I mount it on my handlebars and it's just awesome.

It's waterproof (when it gets muddy I wash it under the tap), robust (I've dropped it from waist height onto concrete a couple of times and it still works) and the only time it's ever lost satellite signal was when I was in fog so thick I was down to about 45mph on the M3 (obviously it loses signal in tunnels but that's to be expected).

It doesn't do paperless caching and it's superseded by the 62 series. I'm contemplating the 62st for myself but have a degree of reluctance to stop using a unit that still works as well as the day I bought it.

Depending on your budget you might look at the newer 62, an end-of-line 60CSx or perhaps even a used CSx. With the new units coming online there will probably be a few of them around.

I'm with you.... It's the sheer robustness and reliability of the 60CSx that the flashier (Colorada etc.) units can't match. Mine's been smashed into the pavement in Paris, dropped into a river I was fording on the Black Mountain, been attached to the Ruck-Sack strap all day in the pouring rain and covered in mud more times than I can remember. It hasn't failed once. The screen is protected by a thick, clear plastic 'lens' that would survive a moderate hammer blow... try that with a Colorado :)

True.... you can't download the full cache page but using GSAK, I can download load enough of the hint to make looking for traditional caches pretty much paperless.

It's not time for me to change yet but if and when I do.... It will probably be a 62 series unit.

Absoluteoy love my 60CSx, would not exchange for anything, we have a lot of history, I found my first cache with it, and now at 1028, It has accompanied me on every find, so I would be devastated should it stop working, or I leave it anywhere.

That said the downside is the lack of Paperless caching, and not being able to host OS maps; Looking at what is on the market I would definitely go for a 62CSx, and I have a secret hoping my 60CSx develops a fault B):) ; then I could justify a new one, but would still carry the old faithful one in its coffin!

Certainly would go for the newer one

Great info Chris. The best I've seen. B)

But where is the Oregon 200 on your comparison chart?

It's what I have and it's perfect for my caching needs.

Really. And less than 200 notes if you buy from the right seller. :(

Thank you for your kind comments. Why not the Oregon 200? Not sure really. I just seem to have missed it :) . I've added it to the table now.

Chris

Graculus

Thanks

I have the 76CSx which I understand has the same circuitry as the 60. I like the 76 over the 60 because it will float if accidentally dropped in a stream and it doesn't have that clunky antenna sticking up on the top. The 76 is sensitive enough that it will get a satellite lock when turned on in my basement. Like the 60 the 76 has also been discontinued.

Thanks for all your comments. I hadn't thought about paperless so perhaps the 62s might be worth a look, although I tend to remember clues etc rather than printing them out - plus I'm not a premium member (yet) as I'm not an 'addict'. For me it's something to add to a walk I would be doing anyway - it's just annoying that so many are hidden under trees that my eTrex can't cope with.

We started with a Legend, moved on to a 60CSx and then upgraded to an Oregon.

Hubby Steve loves the 60CSx, if it says zero you're standing right on top of the cache and he won't look at another GPS.

I do most of the caching and love the paperless caching on the Oregon and despite it not being as accurate as our 60CSx it's still my preferred GPS purely for the paperless caching aspect.

Thanks for all your comments. I hadn't thought about paperless so perhaps the 62s might be worth a look, although I tend to remember clues etc rather than printing them out - plus I'm not a premium member (yet) as I'm not an 'addict'. For me it's something to add to a walk I would be doing anyway - it's just annoying that so many are hidden under trees that my eTrex can't cope with.

If you're not a premium member the 62 probably won't give you a whole lot of advantage over the 60CSx. A lot (I think all) of the paperless caching features are based on pocket queries, which are a premium member feature.

Coming down in favour of the 62s at the moment. It's only a few £ more and with four Garmins in the house I have at least four months GS membership to play with. After that I will know if it's worth a few more months - probably over the sumer when I will be doing more caching etc.

Coming down in favour of the 62s at the moment. It's only a few £ more and with four Garmins in the house I have at least four months GS membership to play with. After that I will know if it's worth a few more months - probably over the sumer when I will be doing more caching etc.

If you look on Handtec's site the 62st is only about £35 more than the 62s. For the sake of £35 I'd be inclined to take the European topo maps... never know when they could come in handy.

if you do want a GPSmap60csx, I know somebody who's selling one in very good nick, with box etc, for £100. He's just upgraded to the 62st

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm set on a 62s now. A bit over what I was expecting to pay out but suspect it will give me plenty of years enjoyment. Will have to nip down to Pentagon now.

Finally went for the 62s which I picked up on Monday afternoon. Very impressed but there is so much to learn about how it works and all the screens you can adapt so that could take a bit of time.

Had some fun caching around Lincoln with it yesterday morning, and then over the Derbyshire Moors in the rain and fog last night.

Not decided on which maps to install yet as not decided on whether to go for 1:50k or 1:25k series.