Oregon x50 software version 4.31 Beta

allory

Oregon x50 software version 4.31 Beta

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4743

Changes made from version 4.30 to 4.31:

Updated magnetic Earth field data

Improved GPS performance

Fixed issue with track navigation sometimes not adding waypoints to the Active Route list

Fixed issue with MPC map labels disappearing

Fixed shutdown on the map page when you have a geocache dashboard active and return after pressing the geocache name

Problems with the software may be reported to OregonBeta@garmin.com.

Everything on my gps is working fine except 3D view screen is blue! :) How is everyone elses doing?

Same with mine. I remember a previous Colorado firmware that did the same thing if you had detail set to "Most". I just changed mine to "Least" but its still a blue screen. Seems like a bug.

ok. not sure what to make of this yet.

first thing i did after the upgrade was to refresh all my GPXs. that went fine, but the old progress bar didn't show any progress. it just stayed at 0 until it was done. but no big deal.

then out in the field i got the same as everybody else was seeing: no sats. i let it sit for a loooong time and it eventually started picking up the sats, one after another. ok, again no big deal, the updated GPS firmware (now 5.00) probably caused a full reset.

after a really loooong time, reception finally got to a reasonable level. but: no WAAS lock. again no big deal, it works well without it, maybe just a temporary thing.

after a good 2 hours of use with accuracy readings in the 4-8 meter range and no WAAS lock at all, the GPS chip suddenly decided to take a dump and throw me 100+ meters off. ok i thought, maybe another temporary thing. continued down the trail for 10-15 minutes, but it stayed off by >100 meters. consistently though, the tracklog was nice and smooth, just in the wrong place and going the wrong way, and by a lot so.

time for a reboot. it came back with signal right away, and now suddenly it picked up the WAAS bird and showed me accuracy of 2 meters?!? never seen that before!

I am not getting a WAAS fix since I upgraded. Just like dfx, all of a sudden the GPS went way off - hundreds of feet. It was following my direction, just several hundred feet off. I turned off the GPS and when it started back up, it was where it was supposed to be. But still no wass. I wish I did not upgrade. I suspect it is the gps v 5 software that is causing the problem. Anyone know a way to get the earlier version. I also am having the problem of when it loads the GPX files the progress indicator shows nothing while it loads.

I am not getting a WAAS fix since I upgraded. Just like dfx, all of a sudden the GPS went way off - hundreds of feet. It was following my direction, just several hundred feet off. I turned off the GPS and when it started back up, it was where it was supposed to be. But still no wass. I wish I did not upgrade. I suspect it is the gps v 5 software that is causing the problem. Anyone know a way to get the earlier version. I also am having the problem of when it loads the GPX files the progress indicator shows nothing while it loads.

I think I have to agree with you. The problem being the GPS software ver 5.00 I updated my Oregon 300 last night with 4.11 beta and software ver 5.00 Same thing lost the WAAS sattelites, I guess ver 5.00 is the common denominator in the problem. :)

myotis- I also did the upgrade but didn't like it. I went back to previous version and all is good today. Garmin Oregon Wiki tells you how to do this Versions X50 then :) under GCD base upgrades. If you do not understand or are having a problem with what it says let me know I will try to walk you thru it.

Kevin

myotis- I also did the upgrade but didn't like it. I went back to previous version and all is good today. Garmin Oregon Wiki tells you how to do this Versions X50 then :) under GCD base upgrades. If you do not understand or are having a problem with what it says let me know I will try to walk you thru it.

Kevin

Does that also downgrade the GPS software to 4.52 from 5? I am worried the 4.52 to 5 is what caused the problem and downgrade t0 4.2 won't also go back to 4.52

myotis- I also did the upgrade but didn't like it. I went back to previous version and all is good today. Garmin Oregon Wiki tells you how to do this Versions X50 then :huh: under GCD base upgrades. If you do not understand or are having a problem with what it says let me know I will try to walk you thru it.

Kevin

Does that also downgrade the GPS software to 4.52 from 5? I am worried the 4.52 to 5 is what caused the problem and downgrade t0 4.2 won't also go back to 4.52

Yes it down grades both to previous versions.

Im not getting WAAS. Left my Oregon 450 and my Colorado 300 outside for 2 hours, side by side. The Colorado found 51 and locked on in no time, the Oregon was looking for 35 which as far as I know, no longer exists.

Getting the same on my 450 - no WAAS for me.

This update seems to revert WAAS back to "Normal". Like dfx suggests, turn it back on! I get it while sitting in my kitchen.

Im not getting WAAS. Left my Oregon 450 and my Colorado 300 outside for 2 hours, side by side. The Colorado found 51 and locked on in no time, the Oregon was looking for 35 which as far as I know, no longer exists.

Getting the same on my 450 - no WAAS for me.

This update seems to revert WAAS back to "Normal". Like dfx suggests, turn it back on! I get it while sitting in my kitchen.

Oh, yeah. I saw all those cautions before I tangled with the beta. Knew I would have to turn it back on - and did. Still no WAAS. Looking like Garmin is starting to ack that it is an issue. I'll wait and see when the next beta drops and try that one out too.

Well I have tried to go back to the old versions twice. It asks me if I want to replace the newer with the older and I keep pushing yes. It does not seem to recognize my pushing yes, but it goes through and does all the update stuff and resets my user data. But when the GPS starts up again, it still has the old software.

Well I have tried to go back to the old versions twice. It asks me if I want to replace the newer with the older and I keep pushing yes. It does not seem to recognize my pushing yes, but it goes through and does all the update stuff and resets my user data. But when the GPS starts up again, it still has the old software.

Are you dropping the 4.30 GCD file onto WebUpdater as a "drag and drop" operation?

Are you dropping the 4.30 GCD file onto WebUpdater as a "drag and drop" operation?

No I used the directions on the wiki-putting it on the GPS

Should I drag and drop it on web updater?

What is weird is after I tried down grading it 3 times, WAAS started working. It started looking for the correct sats this time and got a WAAS lock pretty quick.

Should I drag and drop it on web updater?

That's how I always reload a *.gcd file. Whether it makes a difference ... ?

What is weird is after I tried down grading it 3 times, WAAS started working. It started looking for the correct sats this time and got a WAAS lock pretty quick.

That IS interesting. Q: There are two levels of firmware indicated. One is the unit firmware, and the other is the GPS chipset firmware. There should be NO way that they can possibly get out of sync (they're both incorporated into each *.gcd or beta *.exe), but I'd be very curious to know what BOTH of your versions read at this point.

4.31 and 5.

I was also concerned over the issue of having to go back on both. But one of the previous messages said they were able to downgrade both.

It looked like it was downgrading, I had to go look at about to figure out it did not downgrade either. But at least WAAS is working.

You would think Garmin would have an easy way to go back to an earlier version.

Well I tried again today and still couldn't get a WAAS lock. I downgraded to 4.20 which wiped all my user settings, then I re-upgraded to 4.31 beta and with an empty almanac, I got the constellation within 4 minutes of startup with a full solid lock on 51 a minute later, and "D"'s right across the board. Maybe it was the the reset of all settings that fixed it, I don't know.

Time to rebuild all my profiles.

Edited by savant9

4.31 and 5.

OK - well, you're still showing the newer version of both - in sync. If you continue to get good WAAS response, that would at least indicate that the 5.0 GPS chipset firmware is at least capable of this if the phase of the moon (or whatever) is right.

I was also concerned over the issue of having to go back on both. But one of the previous messages said they were able to downgrade both.

As noted, both come together in each package no matter whether it's a *.gcd release or an *.exe beta.

You would think Garmin would have an easy way to go back to an earlier version.

What - and admit that a newer version isn't always better? <g>

Actually, the ability to drop a *.gcd of any previous released version is pretty easy. Garmin even supplies callers with the url of the 3rd party site that has wound up being the repository for older versions since Garmin corporate won't keep them on their web site. If you ever need an oldie, chances are you'll find it here -- and thanks to this guy, whoever he is, for keeping them available to us : http://www.gawisp.com/perry/

Well today I cannot get a WAAS lock again.

If you have been able to get your GPS to downgrade, what procudure did you use? Like I siad above, I tried the procudure on the wiki 3 times. Every time it went through the process saying it was validating the installer and then said it was installing and I did not get any error message. But I still had the *#@# beta and 5.0 GPS software. It also reset all my user data each time.

Well today I cannot get a WAAS lock again.

If you have been able to get your GPS to downgrade, what procudure did you use? Like I siad above, I tried the procudure on the wiki 3 times. Every time it went through the process saying it was validating the installer and then said it was installing and I did not get any error message. But I still had the *#@# beta and 5.0 GPS software. It also reset all my user data each time.

Sure glad I let this one go without upgrading to it. I normally apply updates immediately but not this time...