Garmin Nuvi 295W

Chrysalides

You must have one slow a** 660... Just timed mine and it took 20 seconds from actually pushing the button, hitting "agree" and getting to the main menu with full green bar reception...indoors...
That can be misleading, with some variation of HotFix all modern units will acquire a satellite fix in a few seconds. So it all depends on how long since you last had a satellite lock, a few weeks and the HotFix almanac expires.

On the 295W, aka Nuvifone, the real issue is booting the OS and loading maps, they take oh so long.

On the 295W, aka Nuvifone, the real issue is booting the OS and loading maps, they take oh so long.

I just start up my 295 a few minutes before needing it, so It's quick to boot when I actually need it. But since I updated my maps and system software recently, the Montana's been locking up more often than it ever did before... I've had to take the battery out at least once in the last two days.

. . . since I updated my maps and system software recently, the Montana's been locking up more often than it ever did before... I've had to take the battery out at least once in the last two days.
Thank you,

I now have yet another reason not to upgrade, I love early adopters. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

. . . since I updated my maps and system software recently, the Montana's been locking up more often than it ever did before... I've had to take the battery out at least once in the last two days.
Thank you,

I now have yet another reason not to upgrade, I love early adopters. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

I don't mind being an early adopter, even when there are "issues". Garmin's always been good about fixing their software.

Just acquired one of these during the Amazon one day $62 sale. I have a good grasp of most of the basics (wireless,email,using the camera etc).

I do have one noob question.

How does one view and save the tracklog on this little gem? I am a birder and photographer,not into geocaching (yet :lol: ) and want to use this GPS to add lat/long data to my birding and photos.

Seems like most of the functionality of this unit is hidden and up to the user to discover.

I appreciate all the posts in this thread,have learned a lot about my new toy, but would appreciate any illuminating comments re track logs.

I am a Mac user (X.5.8) if that matters.

TIA

Caroline

There is also a shareware item called HoudahGeo which will compile your photos and tracklog to add exif info to your pics.

I just start up my 295 a few minutes before needing it, so It's quick to boot when I actually need it. But since I updated my maps and system software recently, the Montana's been locking up more often than it ever did before... I've had to take the battery out at least once in the last two days.

I'm new to this great site and recently bought a 295w. Seems like a decent device overall but I'm having problems also with frequent locking up. Mine came with the latest firmware pre-installed: Software version 7.46.0, GPS firmware version 230

I've had it for 3 days now and had to do about 5 battery pulls so far due to the locking/freezing. Very annoying and I'm thinking of returning it.

Anyone know how soon Garmin will release an update?

There is also a shareware item called HoudahGeo which will compile your photos and tracklog to add exif info to your pics.

For photos taken with a camera other than that in the 295W, I use RoboGeo. What I like about RoboGeo is that it can add the location information to the actual picture as well as the EXIF data.

Apparently Google Earth will also tag photos but I've had mixed results using that method.

I've had it for 3 days now and had to do about 5 battery pulls so far due to the locking/freezing. Very annoying and I'm thinking of returning it.

What were you doing when it froze?

Not saying it is your fault or anything - I've experienced my share of grief from buggy Garmin products.

Some people think the initial page loading in the web browser is a lockup since it takes so long to appear, and even once the Garmin site has appeared, it takes minutes for the browser to respond, but that's just the feeble browser. If you let the browser load that initial page, then go to another less complicated page (like Geocaching.com) and make that page the default instead of the Garmin one, then the browser is far faster next time you use it.

My lockups were not in the browser, though.

What were you doing when it froze?

Not saying it is your fault or anything - I've experienced my share of grief from buggy Garmin products.

Locking up seems kind of random. It 1st locked up on me when I plugged it into the car charger cable from shut down. It turned on and tried to load but froze on the "Garmin" screen.

A guess, but I think the 295w sometimes gets confused when plugged into any cable(charger/USB) and doing other things. For me, it has lock up more when a cable is plugged in or sometime after unplugging.

Locked up at the main menu when exiting out of the navigation menu and another time when exiting out of the web browser. Another time it locked up after initially powering it on at the "auto lock" screen.

It hasn't locked up during the browser yet. Had some MAJOR slow downs and loading issues during a website that had a lot of large pictures but never fully froze.

Mine will be here Saturday, how long do you have to upgrade your maps?

Thanks

60 days, I think it was.

I have an question..When you update the map to the 2011 version and go to 'mapsource" is it supposed to show up?If so where is it and how do I get it to show?

No, it doesn't show up in Mapsource at all. If you have your 295W connected to the computer, and you use BaseCamp, it sees the version installed on the gps. This map update is never installed on the computer.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

Thanks

60 days, I think it was.

I have an question..When you update the map to the 2011 version and go to 'mapsource" is it supposed to show up?If so where is it and how do I get it to show?

No, it doesn't show up in Mapsource at all. If you have your 295W connected to the computer, and you use BaseCamp, it sees the version installed on the gps. This map update is never installed on the computer.

Thank You,Sir...I can import my poi's to city select nt america v7 in mapsource and they show up on that map ,also,my pictures show up that are geo tagged when I import from the 295w.

Thanks

60 days, I think it was.

Thank You,Sir...I can import my poi's to city select nt america v7 in mapsource and they show up on that map ,also,my pictures show up that are geo tagged when I import from the 295w.

You should try BaseCamp too. It's got some interesting features, especially the one where it sees the maps on your gps. And the Geotagged images show up nicely too.

I also wanted to add about the mp3 player. If your 295w is in the car cradle and you turn your cars power off (battery saver off mode) comes up on the screen and gives the 30 second power off message count down. When the unit does power off or you lightly tap the black power button the Mp3 player will still continue too play indefinably, even when the screen is black. All other nuvi's turn every thing off when in the cradle and you turn your cars power off but not the 295w. Be warned. You must either pause the mp3 player before you turn your car off or hold the power button for a vibrate official power down. This is one issue I dont care for. Everything else works spot on. Even free McDonalds wifi works great providing once you sign on to their wifi signal, you must first go to your browser and check their (i agree) button. If you dont it will appear like you are signed on their wifi but it doesn't work when trying to update weather or check email. Once you go to your browser and check (i agree), you then can do anything you want on the 295w like email,weather,etc...

I talked to Garmin today and we both agreed that the "Power down" message is very misleading. It really should read "sleep mode" in 30 seconds.

Edited by themystro

Thanks

60 days, I think it was.

When I updated my maps, I had the option to install to my device and to my computer. 2011.3 does show in Mapsource.

I also wanted to add about the mp3 player. If your 295w is in the car cradle and you turn your cars power off (battery saver off mode) comes up on the screen and gives the 30 second power off message count down. When the unit does power off or you lightly tap the black power button the Mp3 player will still continue too play indefinably, even when the screen is black. All other nuvi's turn every thing off when in the cradle and you turn your cars power off but not the 295w. Be warned. You must either pause the mp3 player before you turn your car off or hold the power button for a vibrate official power down.

Wow, one wonders what Garmin tests before releasing a firmware sometimes. Thanks for sharing that.

I also wanted to add about the mp3 player. If your 295w is in the car cradle and you turn your cars power off (battery saver off mode) comes up on the screen and gives the 30 second power off message count down. When the unit does power off or you lightly tap the black power button the Mp3 player will still continue too play indefinably, even when the screen is black. All other nuvi's turn every thing off when in the cradle and you turn your cars power off but not the 295w. Be warned. You must either pause the mp3 player before you turn your car off or hold the power button for a vibrate official power down.

Wow, one wonders what Garmin tests before releasing a firmware sometimes. Thanks for sharing that.

I consider this an advantage - if I'm using the 295 to play a podcast or music while walking, I'd be fairly annoyed if it didn't stay on.

Thanks

60 days, I think it was.

When I updated my maps, I had the option to install to my device and to my computer. 2011.3 does show in Mapsource.

Interesting - I was never offered the option. Maybe I should go an download the map update again and see if I can install to the computer as well. Garmin gives you a year to download the file as often as you want.

I consider this an advantage - if I'm using the 295 to play a podcast or music while walking, I'd be fairly annoyed if it didn't stay on.

Yea, I thought of that being the 295w is coming from a smart phone design and not a true GPS design. Its a asset if your using it as hand held devise but it adds one more step you typically dont do with a nuvi when driving.

I just down loaded every thing yesterday and here is the versions that are the latest. Check yours and see if they are the same....Click "settings" then the "menu bars" to the far right. Click "about" for your units info....

here is what I got on mine:

Version 7.46.0

Software version 7.46.0

Board revision:0

WiFI,

Wifi address,

unit Id,

Audio Version: 2.60

GPS firmware version: 230

If your 295w is in the car cradle and you turn your cars power off (battery saver off mode) comes up on the screen and gives the 30 second power off message count down. When the unit does power off or you lightly tap the black power button the Mp3 player will still continue too play indefinably, even when the screen is black. All other nuvi's turn every thing off when in the cradle and you turn your cars power off but not the 295w. Be warned. You must either pause the mp3 player before you turn your car off or hold the power button for a vibrate official power down.

The part that I bolded is what I'm worried about. Say I turn off the car engine and walk off, thinking the unit will power itself off, it merrily continues to play my music until I return. If I need to use it as a walking GPS at that point, it may already be out of battery power.

If your 295w is in the car cradle and you turn your cars power off (battery saver off mode) comes up on the screen and gives the 30 second power off message count down. When the unit does power off or you lightly tap the black power button the Mp3 player will still continue too play indefinably, even when the screen is black. All other nuvi's turn every thing off when in the cradle and you turn your cars power off but not the 295w. Be warned. You must either pause the mp3 player before you turn your car off or hold the power button for a vibrate official power down.

The part that I bolded is what I'm worried about. Say I turn off the car engine and walk off, thinking the unit will power itself off, it merrily continues to play my music until I return. If I need to use it as a walking GPS at that point, it may already be out of battery power.

You're not saying this is the only gps you carry at any given time? :lol: I've usually got at least two with me.

Just acquired one of these during the Amazon one day $62 sale. I have a good grasp of most of the basics (wireless,email,using the camera etc).

I do have one noob question.

How does one view and save the tracklog on this little gem? I am a birder and photographer,not into geocaching (yet :lol: ) and want to use this GPS to add lat/long data to my birding and photos.

Seems like most of the functionality of this unit is hidden and up to the user to discover.

I appreciate all the posts in this thread,have learned a lot about my new toy, but would appreciate any illuminating comments re track logs.

I am a Mac user (X.5.8) if that matters.

TIA

Caroline

To use the 295W to Geotag locations, get a gps fix so the gps knows where it is, go into the camera mode, click the thumbtack at the lower right and accept the terms, then take a few pictures. In the camera screen click the icon on the right which gets you to the thumbnails of the pictures you've taken, then choose one, and click the Thumbtack in the upper left and it'll show you where the picture was taken.

The Track Log is viewed and enabled/disabled through Settings/Navigation/Menu/Choose Automobile or Pedestrian mode, scroll down and you'll see "Trip Log/Hide/Show" (on map). You can also clear it from one of these screens.

When you plug the gps into your Mac (or PC for that matter), after you plug it in go to the gps and allow it to go into "Mass Storage Mode", then give it a minute to connect properly, then you can use Finder to get pictures and tracks off the unit. The Geotag information is stored in the EXIF info of each picture.

The tracklog file name is "current.gpx" in case you want to copy it to your computer to use with some other program. I was able to import the log into delorme Street Atlas and check out my path for the day on a street map.

I too purchased one during the sale. Thanks to this thread, I got it updated with current firmware and figured out most of it's functions in short order. Unfortunately, it's so cold and gloomy here I haven't really tested it for caching or photography yet.

Edited by Mosaic55

Anyone have a Nuvi 755T or 765T and compare it to this 295w? I have a nuvi 770 and bought this 295w to use in my hunting truck but I am wondering how much better is the 776T/755T over the 295w???. I am just concerned if the 776T is much better than the 295w, I will buy a 776T and use the 295w for my Harley. I need a MP3 player in my GPS so you can see my choices are limited. Thanks for the input guys.....

Anyone have a Nuvi 755T or 765T and compare it to this 295w? I have a nuvi 770 and bought this 295w to use in my hunting truck but I am wondering how much better is the 776T/755T over the 295w???. I am just concerned if the 776T is much better than the 295w, I will buy a 776T and use the 295w for my Harley. I need a MP3 player in my GPS so you can see my choices are limited. Thanks for the input guys.....

Better at what?

Better at what?

General detailed navigation in the pick-up truck. I drive a lot of rural roads during hunting season and I like to see as much map details as possible like road labels, gas stations, etc.... Quick sat acquisitions is also a big plus. Sometimes I get stuck in the back country in bad snowy conditions and I need to browse the map for a options and side roads. That is why road labeling is important. In other words, If you only had one GPS strapped to your dash in the back country, what is THE best do it all Nuvi product.

Edited by themystro

Better at what?

General detailed navigation in the pick-up truck. I drive a lot of rural roads during hunting season and I like to see as much map details as possible like road labels, gas stations, etc.... Quick sat acquisitions is also a big plus. Sometimes I get stuck in the back country in bad snowy conditions and I need to browse the map for a options and side roads. That is why road labeling is important. In other words, If you only had one GPS strapped to your dash in the back country, what is THE best do it all Nuvi product.

The one which would last longest when you need to abandon your truck and hike for help. :) IOW, neither of those alternatives.

Thanks

60 days, I think it was.

Interesting - I was never offered the option. Maybe I should go an download the map update again and see if I can install to the computer as well. Garmin gives you a year to download the file as often as you want.

Sure enough,went back and just chose'to computer',Now ,I have 2011 map in mapsource.Thanks,,Guys

Better at what?

The one which would last longest when you need to abandon your truck and hike for help. :) IOW, neither of those alternatives.

Hopefully it wont come to that. I was thinking of a everyday muti task GPS that is mainly strapped to the dash. I have a old Magellan Meridian Gold TOPO under the seat if I had to ditch the truck. Sat acquisition takes forever but it will work in a emergency.

Edited by themystro
You're not saying this is the only gps you carry at any given time? :lol: I've usually got at least two with me.

I usually have another Nuvi, and my Oregon, with me in addition to the 295W :) But there are times when I'm down to one. The situation I described is not one I'm likely to find myself in, but it is a likely usage scenario.

I have a 755T as well as a 295W. The main advantages of the 755T over the 295W is mainly faster start-up time, faster time to acquire satellite (just feels that way, I haven't done a side by side test for this - but not significantly faster) and larger screen. The 295W has physical volume buttons, you need to go into the menu to adjust volume for the 755T.

The 295W has more bells and whistles (wi-fi, camera) and the 755T has some additional features (lane assist, lifetime traffic). Some differences with the units : 295W takes micro SD and has 2.5mm headphones jack, the 755T takes SD and has the "normal" 3.5mm headphones jack. The 755T speaker is louder. In the suburbs, both navigate just fine. I have not tried them under challenging situations (such as thick tree cover, canyons).

I find the screen of the 755T to be pretty bad - the 650/660 has a much more visible screen. I have not tried to view the 295W under similar situations.

My 755T has a tendency to reboot itself once in a while. That may be a problem specific to my unit (though Garmin has a firmware that specifically deals with that issue). I haven't encountered such problems with the 295W but I don't use it for navigation anywhere near as much.

If I have to pick one for driving, I'll choose the 755T, mainly for the larger screen. If screen size is not an issue for you, I'd say 295W has the edge (especially at the current price).

Thanks for the input. I bought the 295W at Amazons killer price of $62.00. Thats stupid cheap. The multi axis compass on the 295w is worth that alone. I was just wondering if the new Amazon price of the 765T of $194.00 is that much better? I would have bought Garmins new flagship GPS but they took the much needed MP3 player off of the unit. Thinness isnt that much of a requirement when its on my dash either??

I have a 755T as well as a 295W. The main advantages of the 755T over the 295W is mainly faster start-up time, faster time to acquire satellite (just feels that way, I haven't done a side by side test for this - but not significantly faster) and larger screen. The 295W has physical volume buttons, you need to go into the menu to adjust volume for the 755T.

The 295W has more bells and whistles (wi-fi, camera) and the 755T has some additional features (lane assist, lifetime traffic). Some differences with the units : 295W takes micro SD and has 2.5mm headphones jack, the 755T takes SD and has the "normal" 3.5mm headphones jack. The 755T speaker is louder. In the suburbs, both navigate just fine. I have not tried them under challenging situations (such as thick tree cover, canyons).

I find the screen of the 755T to be pretty bad - the 650/660 has a much more visible screen. I have not tried to view the 295W under similar situations.

My 755T has a tendency to reboot itself once in a while. That may be a problem specific to my unit (though Garmin has a firmware that specifically deals with that issue). I haven't encountered such problems with the 295W but I don't use it for navigation anywhere near as much.

If I have to pick one for driving, I'll choose the 755T, mainly for the larger screen. If screen size is not an issue for you, I'd say 295W has the edge (especially at the current price).

Edited by themystro
Thanks for the input. I bought the 295W at Amazons killer price of $62.00. Thats stupid cheap. The multi axis compass on the 295w is worth that alone. I was just wondering if the new Amazon price of the 765T of $194.00 is that much better? I would have bought Garmins new flagship GPS but they took the much needed MP3 player off of the unit. Thinness isnt that much of a requirement when its on my dash either??

It's rather hard justifying the price of the 755T/765T right now, especially when they've been discontinued. I didn't realize they're still close to $200. I'd have recommended the 650/660 except that the MP3 player is under-featured (no quick way to skip to an alphabet when displaying song or artist list, does not display non English text properly). On the other hand, getting to the MP3 player from the 3D map screen is just one button on the 660. On the 755T you need to go back to the main menu, tools, then MP3 player, unless a song is currently playing.

Yeah, I'm very unhappy with Garmin discontinuing the MP3 player on their newer units as well.

...So I figured out I can send thousands of caches to the "Montana" through the GSAK/Nuvi macro, and to make the nearby ones more visible I ALSO send up to 500 caches (this appears to be the max limit?) directly as a .GPX file to the /Garmin/GPX folder so they'll show up BIG on the display...

I've been fiddling with this combo option and I seem to notice, if I create a GSAK/Nuvi file that contains less than 500 caches "I think" I should be able to load the same file both as a POI loader and drag the .gpx file to the /Garmin/GPX folder. But when I try this the Nuvi doesn't seem to detect the dragged over file.. Can anyone else confirm this?

I think what is happening is, the GSAK/Nuvi macro is outputting a .gpx file in the older 1.0 format, and the Nuvi needs a 1.1 format or it is not visible in the favorites section? :unsure:

For geocaches,there is an Garmin cache loader on their site,5 a day is the limit to download from map directly to your Garmin device.

More 295W questions:

• Does the 295 automatically switch from portrait to landscape orientation?
  • Anyone have a landscape screenshot, I'm assuming it has a screenshot mode.
  • Does the 295 record tracks like my 205W?

Thanks

Here's a landscape shot.

20101214-011210655.jpg

And yes, it does record tracks.

You can review them in mapsource

The multi axis compass working with the GPS is brilliant. Basically when you point the gps in any direction, the map turns and corresponds with what you are looking at. This works in GPS simulator or when the gps is active. It is so nice not to have to turn the map around in your head to get your bearings.

Even in a mall or building you can basically look through walls to see wear the roads are outside as you rotated the 295w.

Edited by themystro

More 295W questions:

Thanks

Here's a landscape shot.

20101214-011210655.jpg

How is your map green?? It looks great. Do you have a different map loaded up?

Edited by themystro

More 295W questions:

Thanks

Here's a landscape shot.

20101214-011210655.jpg

How is your map green?? It looks great. Do you have a different map loaded up?

Yes, I loaded Topo Canada V4 to the gps.

Yea, it took my a while to even notice what it was doing. When I was running the 295w though comparitive test with my Nuvi 770, it always showed a differtent angle of the map than my 770. I was on my swival desk chair and as I spun 360degrees. The map followed the same 360 degree view. Its awesome.

..Even in a mall or building you can basically look through walls to see wear the roads are outside as you rotated the 295w.

Wow that's actually a pretty cool perk I hadn't even though of :D

I am totally baffled as to setting up mine for geocaching. I installed a free topo map using Basecamp and tried some on a micro sd card with no luck. I could not get them to work

or even figure out how to try.Thanks for some help.

Go to Garmin,sign in, Go to downloads,maps,extras,there is an Garmin program that loads caches direct to gps.I think it says geocache.