Garmin Nuvi 295W

Chrysalides

...So I figured out I can send thousands of caches to the "Montana" through the GSAK/Nuvi macro, and to make the nearby ones more visible I ALSO send up to 500 caches (this appears to be the max limit?) directly as a .GPX file to the /Garmin/GPX folder so they'll show up BIG on the display...

I've been fiddling with this combo option and I seem to notice, if I create a GSAK/Nuvi file that contains less than 500 caches "I think" I should be able to load the same file both as a POI loader and drag the .gpx file to the /Garmin/GPX folder. But when I try this the Nuvi doesn't seem to detect the dragged over file.. Can anyone else confirm this?

I think what is happening is, the GSAK/Nuvi macro is outputting a .gpx file in the older 1.0 format, and the Nuvi needs a 1.1 format or it is not visible in the favorites section? :unsure:

Montana does Colorado

Had to try out the new Montana so a hike was in order. So I did a hike around 8750, a bit of old volcanic rock which is quite photogenic. Not sure why the track skipped both the beginning and the end? Still learning all the subtles of Montana.

20110104_Hike8750.gif

20110104_8750.jpg

I was surprised that the white balance was significantly different from portrait to landscape. I took a lot of photos is screen capture mode, not realizing that the camera and screen capture use the same switch. Very impressed overall.

The battery life was very good, 2 hour hike and 3 bars remaining.

Montana does Colorado

Had to try out the new Montana so a hike was in order. So I did a hike around 8750, a bit of old volcanic rock which is quite photogenic. Not sure why the track skipped both the beginning and the end? Still learning all the subtles of Montana.

20110104_Hike8750.gif

20110104_8750.jpg

I was surprised that the white balance was significantly different from portrait to landscape. I took a lot of photos is screen capture mode, not realizing that the camera and screen capture use the same switch. Very impressed overall.

The battery life was very good, 2 hour hike and 3 bars remaining.

That's an awesome picture - glad you like the unit!

If this where going to be the first GPSr someone owns would it be a passable Geocaching GPSr? I take it this unit doesn't have the nice direction and range pointer for navigation to a cache?

I don't think the Montana is a very suitable geocaching gps. I wouldn't want to use it for that, myself, but then I do have many other options... And it should be at least as good as any other Nuvi which some people make do with for caching.

...So I figured out I can send thousands of caches to the "Montana" through the GSAK/Nuvi macro, and to make the nearby ones more visible I ALSO send up to 500 caches (this appears to be the max limit?) directly as a .GPX file to the /Garmin/GPX folder so they'll show up BIG on the display...

I've been fiddling with this combo option and I seem to notice, if I create a GSAK/Nuvi file that contains less than 500 caches "I think" I should be able to load the same file both as a POI loader and drag the .gpx file to the /Garmin/GPX folder. But when I try this the Nuvi doesn't seem to detect the dragged over file.. Can anyone else confirm this?

I think what is happening is, the GSAK/Nuvi macro is outputting a .gpx file in the older 1.0 format, and the Nuvi needs a 1.1 format or it is not visible in the favorites section? :unsure:

Hi. I was wondering how you got the topo map to look so good. Next step is to shrink those geocache icons.

That's an awesome picture - glad you like the unit!

Now you know why I pestered you for a sunny photo.

Composing that photo on the LCD was certainly a challenge, a could just make out the rock against the blue sky.

Interesting comparing Montana to my very first digital camera, a forgettable 1 MP Agfa that cost ~$100 in 2002? The Montana is both a superior camera and it'll guide me anywhere I want to go in North America, play tunes, browse the internet and more. Truly remarkable.

It'll now replace my Nuvi 205W as my backup GPS on backpacking trips, I no longer carry paper maps. Noticeably smaller and lighter, plus a geotagging camera.

BTW, How do I access the coordinates?

BTW, How do I access the coordinates?

Which coordinates? Current location?
On reread my question wasn't clear.

I'm looking to read the geotagged coordinates of each photo.

Thanks

Duh, I should read properly before I try to respond. The Geotag info of the photo is found through the thumbtack in the upper left of the picture, when you have it displayed on the screen.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide
The Geotag info of the photo is found through the thumbtack in the upper left of the picture, when you have it displayed on the screen.
I've seen the thumbtack, but so far I've not been able to see a photo once taken. Is photo review possible? If so, what steps?

I got WiFi and web browsing working today, tomorrow email, maybe even MP3. What a cool toy. :P

Thanks

Bumbling and stumbling, found a photo album. Clicking the thumbtack places the photo name in map context . . . way cool.

Not found the Lat and Long?

Not sure how you see Lat and Long directly on the Montana but if you click the menu button while you are in the thumbtack map view, you can

"Send Location" in an email, and see the location in Basecamp or Mapsource.

Not sure how you see Lat and Long directly on the Montana but if you click the menu button while you are in the thumbtack map view, you can

"Send Location" in an email, and see the location in Basecamp or Mapsource.

I saw that and will do a test email. Seems a bizarre why to see the Lat and Long. It would seem the data must be in the EXIF data, I'll have to check that. Oh so much to do. :P

One major "fault" of Montana, unlike Oregon, brighter light is definitely not better visibility.

Thanks

Not sure if this is related to what you're experiencing, but you have to make sure that in the camera app, the thumbtack in lower right corner does not have an x on it. Otherwise your photos will not be geotagged.

I'll look for the "x", but I'm relatively sure I enabled geotagging. Beside, when I pressed the thumbtack, Montana placed the photo name on the map where I took the photo, must have the info to do that, I just want to read the lat & long numbers.

Did you know that screenshots taken by Montana can be viewed on Montana, what a concept, OR & CO can't do that.

Thanks for starting this thread, I like my new toy. :)

I'll look for the "x", but I'm relatively sure I enabled geotagging. Beside, when I pressed the thumbtack, Montana placed the photo name on the map where I took the photo, must have the info to do that, I just want to read the lat & long numbers.

Did you know that screenshots taken by Montana can be viewed on Montana, what a concept, OR & CO can't do that.

Yeah, I think we have a fan club going here :) I won't give up a proper handheld unit for this, but it's definitely nice to have around.

I have the EXIF Viewer plugin installed on Firefox. It displays geotags of images in my browser when I right click and select "View Image EXIF Data". As for on the unit itself, I'm not sure - I need to play with it more.

Not sure if this is related to what you're experiencing, but you have to make sure that in the camera app, the thumbtack in lower right corner does not have an x on it. Otherwise your photos will not be geotagged.

If you view the picture, select the Thumbtack, then select the menu and choose "Save", you can then go to "Where to/My Pictures" and select the one you just saved to see the Lat and Long details.

Here's what you see there.

20110106-111745585.png20110106-111803836.png

And I sure do like the way Google's Picasa web albums allow you to send directly from the Montana to an online album!

For details on that service, check this out:

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=83342

Here's a bit of the description from the site: Use the email "Subject" line to add captions or to include the photos in a specific album. If the email "Subject" line matches an existing online album title, your photos will be uploaded to that album. Otherwise the 'Subject' line will instead be added as a caption and the photos will be placed in the Drop Box album. Learn more about the Drop Box album.

Having two problems with Montana:

1. Boot times, takes several minutes just to wake up
  2. Satellite acquisition and hold

• Takes 10 minutes or more to see just three birds
  • Won't hold satellite lock worth a darn

I have a Nuvi 205W and with Hotfix aquires a lock in 2-min. Also, I frequently carry the 205W in a chest pocket and get excellent tracks, I'm lucky to get any track with Montana. I assume both have the same GPS chip (STM Cartesio) and antenna. That unit also boots much faster.

Hopefully theirs a firmware fix for all this?

Boot times, takes several minutes just to wake up

I actually timed this one. Takes around a minute to boot up from power off.

It does appear to take a while to lock to the satellites. That I didn't time, but it's definitely slower than my 755t. About the same as my 660 (SiRFstar III) though.

Edited by Chrysalides

You know if you turn the 295W off by pushing the power button quickly, it will then later wake up almost instantly. Use this method whenever you are using the device throughout the day. And it seems to reacquire a satellite lock a bit quicker too,

I only do a full shutdown if I am not going to be using the unit for a few days.

You know if you turn the 295W off by pushing the power button quickly, it will then later wake up almost instantly. Use this method whenever you are using the device throughout the day. And it seems to reacquire a satellite lock a bit quicker too,

I only do a full shutdown if I am not going to be using the unit for a few days.

Also, letting it shut off on its own is the equivalent of pushing the button quickly. Battery power goes down faster but I find it's a good idea to plug this device into a charger every day anyway. Doesn't take long to recharge.

But when you let the unit go into battery saver mode, does it still record a track when it's in Pedestrian mode, ie not plugged into the cradle or charger?

Can this model display a compass rose page pointing to a cache. If not what do you do. I have never owned a dedicated driving model so I don't know how to use them for geocaching. :huh:

Don't really need a compass if it gives you a line to the destination. Just like using a compass, mentally extend the line off the GPS and onto the ground and off into the distance to the cache. The degrees don't matter, just keep going the right way.

Can this model display a compass rose page pointing to a cache. If not what do you do. I have never owned a dedicated driving model so I don't know how to use them for geocaching. :huh:

Don't really need a compass if it gives you a line to the destination. Just like using a compass, mentally extend the line off the GPS and onto the ground and off into the distance to the cache. The degrees don't matter, just keep going the right way.

To view the compass: while on the map screen, tap the Speed field at the bottom right corner. Or tap the Arrival/Driving/Walking field (or whatever label it has at the moment) at the left bottom corner.

Edited by Great Scott!
How difficult is it to transfer a track file from the unit to a PC?

The mixed reviews on Amazon make me think this is a cool gadget IF you get one that actually works correctly.

I've not tried to transfer the track file on this unit, but it should be like any other Garmin devices that plug in as a USB drive. You just copy current.gpx out.

As for the mixed reviews, I'm not sure if it is a QC issue (scary) or an expectation issue (partly Garmin marketing's fault).

This might have some impact on people who are noticing the Montana taking a while to acquire satellites:

There is a software update for the 295W which you'll be offered if you register at my.garmin.com - it's very slow, probably take about 45 minutes to download and update, but it is worth doing. Once you start the update it just sits there at 0% complete for about 20 minutes, but let it go. It will work, it's just painfully slow.

WebUpdater does not seem to know that there is an update for the unit - you must use "My Dashboard" on my.garmin.com

This is separate from the map update, which I suggest you hold off on, since the maps are already pretty good.

I created a Google calendar reminder which will let me know to update the map 59 days after I registered the unit.

I believe I've figured out the slow satellite lock and why I got an incomplete track on my hike from a few day ago.

20110104_Hike8750.gif

When I did this hike, I was taking photos every few minutes in the track area and I had automatic lock set to 5 minutes. Any action such as taking a photo resets the 5 min timer, the receiver stays on and records a track. When Montana enter lock mode it shuts down the GPS receiver, hence no track and why my battery life was so good. In order to record a continuous track, automatic lock needs to be set to NEVER. If you're in a car with 12V power connected, then it is my guess that automatic lock is overridden.

Does this sound plausible?

I believe I've figured out the slow satellite lock and why I got an incomplete track on my hike from a few day ago.

20110104_Hike8750.gif

When I did this hike, I was taking photos every few minutes in the track area and I had automatic lock set to 5 minutes. Any action such as taking a photo resets the 5 min timer, the receiver stays on and records a track. When Montana enter lock mode it shuts down the GPS receiver, hence no track and why my battery life was so good. In order to record a continuous track, automatic lock needs to be set to NEVER. If you're in a car with 12V power connected, then it is my guess that automatic lock is overridden.

Does this sound plausible?

Sounds likely to me. That was my thought when I asked earlier if the tracking continues when the unit goes into battery save mode.

Sounds likely to me. That was my thought when I asked earlier if the tracking continues when the unit goes into battery save mode.

You use the term "Battery Save Mode" and I think we've all fallen for that trap since all Garmin's have a BSM, even my Nuvi. We've all experienced the Hard, vibrator, and soft off modes, but I don't think Montana has a BSM that we're used to. I wonder what soft off truly does?

Perhaps Montana can awake from soft off on WiFi or some other signal. I have not figured it out. If I go for a hike tomorrow I will test NEVER.

You use the term "Battery Save Mode" and I think we've all fallen for that trap since all Garmin's have a BSM, even my Nuvi. We've all experienced the Hard, vibrator, and soft off modes, but I don't think Montana has a BSM that we're used to. I wonder what soft off truly does?

Perhaps Montana can awake from soft off on WiFi or some other signal. I have not figured it out. If I go for a hike tomorrow I will test NEVER.

The Battery Saver mode of the Montana is actually called "Auto Lock".

Interesting - when I bought and registered my 295W in December I was offered a software update which I did, and today when I checked, there seems to be another software update for the unit.

This is not the map I'm talking about, it's the unit software.

You need to use my.garmin.com to see it, in the Dashboard area of the site.

Fortunately this update is MUCH faster than the previous update. Should be done in a few minutes. Unless you're on dialup or something like that...

Figured out "Battery Saver" on Montana. It does indeed save the battery, but it does so by turning off the GPS receiver, a curious solution. This must be derived from Montana's Nuvifone origins, where the GPS is a secondary attribute to the phone.

So whether you use the soft off mode or the auto lock mode, the GPS receiver is turned off. So far as I could tell, theirs no way to have the GPSr on and the display off. Of course the display can be dimmed.

Of possible interest I ordered a leather case for Montana for $3.38 off eBay. Comes from HK so I expect it'll take 2-weeks to arrive. Same way for a detachable lanyard pack of 10/ $4.50. The best I could find was a single lanyard on Amazon for $5. Ten should cover my lanyard needs for the next decade or two. :)

Nuvifone batteries were ~$16, but decided against that.

Of possible interest I ordered a leather case for Montana for $3.38 off eBay. Comes from HK so I expect it'll take 2-weeks to arrive. Same way for a detachable lanyard pack of 10/ $4.50. The best I could find was a single lanyard on Amazon for $5. Ten should cover my lanyard needs for the next decade or two. :)

On the subject of accessories, if anyone is looking for a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable, the one on Amazon works for stereo. I got the one from Eforcity ($1.21 shipped) - based on reviews I think some of the other sellers might be shipping something different.

On the subject of accessories, if anyone is looking for a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable, the one on Amazon works for stereo. I got the one from Eforcity ($1.21 shipped) - based on reviews I think some of the other sellers might be shipping something different.

I went to The Source and bought an overpriced 2.5 to 3.5mm right angle adaptor. I like the idea of the right angle, but I don't like the idea of it costing $10.

Interesting - when I bought and registered my 295W in December I was offered a software update which I did, and today when I checked, there seems to be another software update for the unit...

Yep I got that update today too. I don't yet notice any thing different after the update,, you?

Haven't really had a chance to check it out thoroughly yet, but nothing obvious that I can see. I wonder if there's a change log somewhere?

Interesting - when I bought and registered my 295W in December I was offered a software update which I did, and today when I checked, there seems to be another software update for the unit...

Yep I got that update today too. I don't yet notice any thing different after the update,, you?

Could you tell us what version it is? My 295 is not finding an update. It was also purchased in December. It claims software version 7.46.0, GPS firmware version 230

Could you tell us what version it is? My 295 is not finding an update. It was also purchased in December. It claims software version 7.46.0, GPS firmware version 230

If you're using web updater, it won't find an update. You need to use my.garmin.com to get it. Mine also says version 7.46.0 in Settings/Menu/About. Also the same GPS Firmware version, 230.

If you're using web updater, it won't find an update. You need to use my.garmin.com to get it. Mine also says version 7.46.0 in Settings/Menu/About. Also the same GPS Firmware version, 230.

I had been trying with webupdater, but also tried the dashboard at my.garmin. Glad to know that I'm not missing anything.

I decided to wait until the last possible day to update the maps.

On two of my Nuvis, I waited too long and didn't get any map updates. Decided not to wait for this one.

would you please tell me what the last map version update number is????

The mapset I updated to the day before yesterday is North America NT 2011.31.

Thank You,Sir

Just acquired one of these during the Amazon one day $62 sale. I have a good grasp of most of the basics (wireless,email,using the camera etc).

I do have one noob question.

How does one view and save the tracklog on this little gem? I am a birder and photographer,not into geocaching (yet :lol: ) and want to use this GPS to add lat/long data to my birding and photos.

Seems like most of the functionality of this unit is hidden and up to the user to discover.

I appreciate all the posts in this thread,have learned a lot about my new toy, but would appreciate any illuminating comments re track logs.

I am a Mac user (X.5.8) if that matters.

TIA

Caroline

Just acquired one of these during the Amazon one day $62 sale. I have a good grasp of most of the basics (wireless,email,using the camera etc).

I do have one noob question.

How does one view and save the tracklog on this little gem? I am a birder and photographer,not into geocaching (yet :lol: ) and want to use this GPS to add lat/long data to my birding and photos.

Seems like most of the functionality of this unit is hidden and up to the user to discover.

I appreciate all the posts in this thread,have learned a lot about my new toy, but would appreciate any illuminating comments re track logs.

I am a Mac user (X.5.8) if that matters.

TIA

Caroline

To use the 295W to Geotag locations, get a gps fix so the gps knows where it is, go into the camera mode, click the thumbtack at the lower right and accept the terms, then take a few pictures. In the camera screen click the icon on the right which gets you to the thumbnails of the pictures you've taken, then choose one, and click the Thumbtack in the upper left and it'll show you where the picture was taken.

The Track Log is viewed and enabled/disabled through Settings/Navigation/Menu/Choose Automobile or Pedestrian mode, scroll down and you'll see "Trip Log/Hide/Show" (on map). You can also clear it from one of these screens.

When you plug the gps into your Mac (or PC for that matter), after you plug it in go to the gps and allow it to go into "Mass Storage Mode", then give it a minute to connect properly, then you can use Finder to get pictures and tracks off the unit. The Geotag information is stored in the EXIF info of each picture.

Boot times, takes several minutes just to wake up

I actually timed this one. Takes around a minute to boot up from power off.

It does appear to take a while to lock to the satellites. That I didn't time, but it's definitely slower than my 755t. About the same as my 660 (SiRFstar III) though.

You must have one slow a** 660... Just timed mine and it took 20 seconds from actually pushing the button, hitting "agree" and getting to the main menu with full green bar reception...indoors...