Garmin Nuvi 295W

Chrysalides

I read on Amazon that the 295W has a replaceable battery. True?

Yes. But I'm not sure how widely available the battery is, or how much it costs.

Once upon another forum update, I might have glanced at your profile and figured out where it is so cloudy, no more. Here's hopping that for that loss, double and triple posts have gone away. :P

You jinxed it. Right after you posted that, the forums slowed down to a crawl for me :P

Actually I'm in "sunny" California, that's currently seeing a series of storms move through. Looks like the next couple of days will be clear though.

Oh, regarding portrait / landscape, yes, it switches automatically. Sometimes it is a little sluggish, and you need to hold the device almost perpendicular to the ground for the orientation sensor to kick in.

That works quite nicely. I'm impressed. The critter on the road has boots on, looks wet and happy AND you now know its location to within 10M. :)

I read on Amazon that the 295W has a replaceable battery. True?

Yes, the battery compartment on the 295W opens up like that of a cell phone - it's a sliding back cover.

And here's something interesting - the 295W is called "Montana" in its wireless configuration.

295W%20-%20Code%20Name%20Montana.jpg

I guess that might be the code name for the model, like the Oregon, Colorado and Dakota series...

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide
I guess that might be the code name for the model, like the Oregon, Colorado and Dakota series...

That implies we'll never see a handheld model called Montana. Not that Garmin needs another handheld series. As bad as the handhelds are, go to the dark side, Nuvi, and the models are simply mind numbing.

"As bad as the handhelds are"? Sorry, you lost me there. I love the Oregon 550 and like the 62S a lot. But that's not really on topic here.

Here's a landscape shot.

And yes, it does record tracks.

Awesome, you killed two birds with that: screenshot and landscape. I don't need another GPS, have 4. I'm sure I'm far from the modern day record, but now 5!?!

I took the liberty of pulling your image to do a 205W side-by-side. Same pixel map, different diagonal.

20101214-011210655.jpgSpoutLake.gif

Thanks for all your helpful posts. :)

"As bad as the handhelds are"? Sorry, you lost me there. I love the Oregon 550 and like the 62S a lot. But that's not really on topic here.

Model proliferation, does Garmin need more models? Didn't intend a quality inference, just quantity.

Ah, I get it. Yes, there is model proliferation but at least many of them are now using the same mounts, and that's a step in the right direction. I keep finding Garmin mounts from other models I've had in the past and talk about useless stuff to have around...

That implies we'll never see a handheld model called Montana.

In many ways this is a handheld model. It has a lanyard attachment point, it works in portrait orientation, and it has a pedestrian mode it goes into automatically. (In fact it seems to be auto-sensing the mode it's in.)

So I think I'm going to call mine a "Montana".

Been watching this thread with great interest. So much so that I got online and ordered one. My "Montana" should arrive tomorrow. Will make a great stablemate for the Legend Hcx, 60csx (my favorite) and my little Foretrex 301. Killer deal for 79 bucks. Can't wait to play with it. Thanks for all the hints and screenshots. The case for it came today. Hope to put it to work finding some caches during the holidays.

I couldn't resist a reasonable electronic toy for christmas so I ordered one. I need some help with state of the art paperless geocaching and adding topo maps with this model as I know nothing about nuvis. I could use some help so I can impress my naysaying buddy on christmas and I won't be opening the 295 till that morning. :lol:

Here's another useful trick - a way to post photos to web albums from the 295W or other mobile device. It's specific to Google's Picasa: http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=83342

Works really well too! I've already set it up and uploaded a test image.

Here's a bit of the description from the site: Use the email "Subject" line to add captions or to include the photos in a specific album. If the email "Subject" line matches an existing online album title, your photos will be uploaded to that album. Otherwise the 'Subject' line will instead be added as a caption and the photos will be placed in the Drop Box album. Learn more about the Drop Box album.

Here's my first upload, of a picture I used the 295W/Montana to take.

2010-12-21T14-58-45.jpeg

Not a bad picture, if I say so myself.

HP has come out with a line of web-enabled printers that would be neat to use too. The printer gets it's own email address, and whenever you email a photo to that address it gets automatically printed.

While that would be handy to have at your home, it would also be a kinda neat gift to give to a grand parent or someone like that. Randomly you can send them photos from wherever and they can see what you're up to :D

But back to Geocaching. So I figured out I can send thousands of caches to the "Montana" through the GSAK/Nuvi macro, and to make the nearby ones more visible I ALSO send up to 500 caches (this appears to be the max limit?) directly as a .GPX file to the /Garmin/GPX folder so they'll show up BIG on the display.

Any other tricks I'm missing?

HP has come out with a line of web-enabled printers that would be neat to use too. The printer gets it's own email address, and whenever you email a photo to that address it gets automatically printed.

While that would be handy to have at your home, it would also be a kinda neat gift to give to a grand parent or someone like that. Randomly you can send them photos from wherever and they can see what you're up to :D

We bought a wireless photo frame for the MIL that has an email address associated with it. We send to hername@kodakpulse.com and it shows up on her frame. That should work nicely with the Montana too!

But back to Geocaching. So I figured out I can send thousands of caches to the "Montana" through the GSAK/Nuvi macro, and to make the nearby ones more visible I ALSO send up to 500 caches (this appears to be the max limit?) directly as a .GPX file to the /Garmin/GPX folder so they'll show up BIG on the display.

Anything special we should know about the GSAK macro and the Montana?

I picked the 2xx profile and it seems to work fine. The macro seems mostly concerned with name length and text length for different models, but I admit I haven't studied it in detail. On the Montana itself, I initially set proximity to "Prompt" but found it too irritating. Need to do some experimenting.

I am totally baffled as to setting up mine for geocaching. I installed a free topo map using Basecamp and tried some on a micro sd card with no luck. I could not get them to work

or even figure out how to try.Thanks for some help.

Kentwood,

Use the search function to look for the keywords: "Nuvi, Paperless, GSAK macro". If you Google search: "Nuvi True Paperless Caching" you should find the original instruction page for the macro. Also, if you are running Window 7 go to the GSAK forum for more pointers. The old macro instructions were for earlier versions of Windows and there are a few ammendments on how to make the old macro work on Windows 7. You'll need GSAK, of course.

I am totally baffled as to setting up mine for geocaching. I installed a free topo map using Basecamp and tried some on a micro sd card with no luck. I could not get them to work

or even figure out how to try.Thanks for some help.

Kentwood,

Use the search function to look for the keywords: "Nuvi, Paperless, GSAK macro". If you Google search: "Nuvi True Paperless Caching" you should find the original instruction page for the macro. Also, if you are running Window 7 go to the GSAK forum for more pointers. The old macro instructions were for earlier versions of Windows and there are a few ammendments on how to make the old macro work on Windows 7. You'll need GSAK, of course.

Thanks. I have the caches working and will hit the GSAK forum to see if I can improve the process. I still can't get any maps I add to show up or find any page to select them. I looked at the gpsdepot tutorial but I can't find any map icon anywhere.

Edited by kentwoodkrew

Kentwood,

There are some rather extensive tutorials at GPSFiledepot on how to load their maps using Mapsource. They also have links for all downloads. My old Nuvi 200 already had City Navigator in internal memory. I chose to load an SD memory card with the free topos from GPSfiledepot. That works well. Only punch in topo maps when needed. I also set up POIloader (see below) to load caches in SD memory.

Also I'm thinkiing that you may be confusing cache loading and map loading. I use Mapsource for maps....GSAK/Nuvie macro/POIloader for caches.

I don't have my 295 with me at the moment, but there is a way to select which maps. I think it is in a menu list in the navigation area.

Settings/Navigation, then click the menu options on the right - not sure how to describe the icon - the three horizontal lines...

20101228-033822339.png

Then click "Map Info" to choose.

20101228-033812273.png

But make sure you don't upload maps to the 295 itself - they should go on a Micro SD card in the slot on the gps. I'd be quite concerned that uploading to the 295 would overwrite the onboard maps.

I picked the 2xx profile and it seems to work fine. The macro seems mostly concerned with name length and text length for different models, but I admit I haven't studied it in detail. On the Montana itself, I initially set proximity to "Prompt" but found it too irritating. Need to do some experimenting.

Thanks for this.

Mike

But make sure you don't upload maps to the 295 itself - they should go on a Micro SD card in the slot on the gps. I'd be quite concerned that uploading to the 295 would overwrite the onboard maps.

I have put maps both in the internal memory and on the card without any problems. The main reason to stay with the card is in case there turns out to be a problem you can just restart without the card.

I have put maps both in the internal memory and on the card without any problems. The main reason to stay with the card is in case there turns out to be a problem you can just restart without the card.

Good to know... I didn't want to be first to try...

I don't have my 295 with me at the moment, but there is a way to select which maps. I think it is in a menu list in the navigation area.

Settings/Navigation, then click the menu options on the right - not sure how to describe the icon - the three horizontal lines...

20101228-033822339.png

Then click "Map Info" to choose.

20101228-033812273.png

Many thanks! I could not find that button to select maps. Once again google searches fail to answer my simple idiot questions. I can select maps

now. Now can I make them look better? Can I thin down those contour lines and show the elevation?

Edited by kentwoodkrew

I'm setting up my GSAK/Nuvi macro stuff again after being gps-less for over a year and I need some help ... my POI Loader doesn't find my new 295W.

Did I miss something?

Thanks!

Got my new 295W yesterday, just started playing with it. Gee, it sure has a small screen, but so far I'm really impressed with the accuracy of streets and roads, etc. I'm used to my nuvi 770 which has a huge screen compared to the 295w. Oh well, for $79 I really like it, it's going to be fun to play with.

Anyone else have problems hearing the speakers? I have mine set on 100% and still can't really hear that well. Any thing else to do besides the speaker buttons on top??

IS there a "mixer" that allows you to set the volume of voice and music, in addition to the master volume? Mine's in the car and it's too cold to go out to get it to check :)

Also make sure the speaker is not covered.

Anyone else have problems hearing the speakers? I have mine set on 100% and still can't really hear that well. Any thing else to do besides the speaker buttons on top??

The onboard speaker is not very good but it does have a line out which we plan to plug into the car to hear through the stereo. The media player is really slick; we load podcasts to it so when we're traveling we have something other than radio to listen to, and still get navigation messages.

Have you tried Settings > Audio > Audio Boost?

I haven't, but it seems like that might do something with the volume.

The onboard speaker is not very good but it does have a line out which we plan to plug into the car to hear through the stereo. The media player is really slick; we load podcasts to it so when we're traveling we have something other than radio to listen to, and still get navigation messages.

Just what is a podcast? I may just learn something today, It doesn't say Hermit for nothing. :P

BTW, My Montana is at the post office, be there Monday to retrieve it.

Just what is a podcast? I may just learn something today, It doesn't say Hermit for nothing. :P

BTW, My Montana is at the post office, be there Monday to retrieve it.

The Podcasts we listen to are MP3 format sound recordings, mainly from BBC and CBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts

We especially enjoy the Friday Night Comedies: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/fricomedy

Here's the CBC site: http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/

I'm sure you could find many in the US as well.

Here's the NPR Podcast site: http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_directory.php

I just set the Audio to "boost on", but it didn't help much. I just emailed Garmin support to see if there was anything else to do to get the volume up, so we shall see. I wonder if changing the "mix" would help any. I think mine is on like 100% nav, and 70% something else.

Got a Montana from the post office today. Same size as an Oregon except half as thick, very svelte.

Is there a way to attach a lanyard? Sure belongs in a chest pocket.

Yes, there is a lanyard attachment point on one of the edges.

That's one of the features I think make it a handheld unit. That and the landscape/portrait orientation of the screen.

And speaking of keeping the unit in your chest pocket, check the last page of the manual for a warning about doing just that.

On the same edge as the three gold contacts, I see two small holes near the corner, Those?

On my other Nuvi, if I press the satellite bars for several seconds, the satellite screen appears, tried with the Montana no go. Thoughts?

Thanks

Yes those two holes are the lanyard attachment point.

You can see the satellite screen this way. On the map screen, click the vehicle icon and that takes you to the "Where I Am" screen, then click the menu icon on the right. Select "Satelite Info".

1000000965.png

1000000964.png