Finding and logging archived Virtual caches

Team Dennis

Hey all,

So I happened to be looking at The Lil Otter's page and she appears to have been out of the game for quite a while now. All of her 100+ caches have been archived, including a TON of Virtuals. I am reasonably certain that for many of them I could still go to the spot she intended to bring me, gather the necessary information she intended me to gather and log the find online.

My question is: Will it count as a find if I go out and gather the info and email the CO and log the find online?

A followup question: What are your personal thoughts on the subject of logging archived Virtuals?

Thanks!

Many of the archived virtual caches have been locked. You cannot log them. I found one after it had been archived and I couldn't log it. The reviewers offered to unlock it so I could, but I didn't take them up on it. I suspect that if you are simply going to places that were previously virtual caches with the intent of logging a bunch of finds you may not find the reviewers so sympathetic. The ides is that once a cache is archived is it out of play. But that begs the question of why most physical cache are not locked when they are archived and you can post logs to these pages.

But that begs the question of why most physical cache are not locked when they are archived and you can post logs to these pages.

I suspect it's because they're less prone to people logging them after they've been archived. If it became a widespread phenomenon, they would probably get routinely locked as well.

But that begs the question of why most physical cache are not locked when they are archived and you can post logs to these pages.

I suspect it's because they're less prone to people logging them after they've been archived. If it became a widespread phenomenon, they would probably get routinely locked as well.

I've logged one physical cache was archived. It had been disabled and archived since the last time I had downloaded a PQ (about a week) so I was unaware that it was archived when I found it. The CO had not yet CITOd the container so I didn't even realize that it was archived until I tried to log it. Since I had the GC number in my GPS I could still find it.

I've also not logged a virtual cache where I visited the location and met all the requirements for logging it except one (a photo of an object with a GPS clearly visible...I actually took a photo of the object though). I didn't realized at the time that there was a virt at that location (and I had found two other physical caches just off the parking lot) so I hadn't tried to satisfy the requirements. I still debate whether I should have tried to contact the CO about logging it as it was in a rather special location (Delorme Headquarters in Yarmouth, Maine) that's 500 or so miles away from home.

I have a better idea, go and harvest all those archived virtual caches and keep them for the day that virtuals return and then publish them on line. You will be a virtual god. And the return of them is planned. I think sooner than later for Garmin is going to want virtuals on their site too. People love virtuals. I have 5 waiting for the day of return and I can plug them in for publishing in a NY minute.

And the return of them is planned

Why would you believe that?

Garmin's site may want them but I don't see them returning here.

It was announced on the feedback forum some time ago that the lily pad working on bringing them back. I believe there are several threads in this forum discussing this as well.

And the return of them is planned

Why would you believe that?

Garmin's site may want them but I don't see them returning here.

It was announced on the feedback forum some time ago that the lily pad working on bringing them back. I believe there are several threads in this forum discussing this as well.

That's true, they are in the planning stage at this time on GC.com. OC.US has listings for them now.

I have never logged an archived cache, but many of the virtuals on GC.com the owners are no longer registered users, same with many traditionals.

Caches are left open so that people who log slowly can catch up on logging. Also, for those who split up a single account, they can log old finds under the new account (we can hope they log the date of find correctly).

Our local reviewer (gee, that's me) has been known to lock virtuals that are being abused. Often virtuals are archived due to abuse that the listing owner is not addressing after having been contacted. If the requested actions are not done and the abuse continues, the listing gets locked.

If a listing does not appear from a standard search of available cache listings, it should not be logged. At least that is my opinion.

:) BQ

Edited by The Blue Quasar

As long as you can view the page and download the GPX file, why not go visit these archived virtuals, even if you don't get a smiley for it?

Fun is fun. Who gives a rats rump about keeping score? Just enjoy the journey. If the owner is still active, or at least has a valid email in the system, you can always send 'em a note thanking them for showing you the location.

Caches are left open so that people who log slowly can catch up on logging. Also, for those who split up a single account, they can log old finds under the new account (we can hope they log the date of find correctly).

And thank God for that. The only archived cache that I've logged was a virtual that I went and got all of the qualifications for, and then forgot to log. I found my notebook with all of the info on it close to half a year later and the VC had been archived, but I was still able to log it thankfully.

I'd say no. The virtual caches in question were archived three years ago. They're gone.

General rule, if it's archived, it's gone. Exceptions are limited. If you found it when it was active and then forgot to log it, fine. If you found it as part of a joint account, then later set up a separate account, fine. If you found a physical cache that had been archived but not retrieved, fine. Anything else starts getting fishy.

What you're talking about sounds pretty similar to using an old vacation snapshot (taken pre-geocaching) and using it to later log a virtual or earth cache. You're just doing it in reverse order. Either way, I wouldn't.